OtakuBoards

Subtitle or Dub?

jakewise

Hi, I was just wondering how you like watching your Animations.
For myself, I'm a subtitle man.

Reason: I like hearing the original voices of the voice actors & actresses.

Especially the DragonBall series ... dubbed voices were just horrible in my opinion...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jakewise']Especially the DragonBall series ... dubbed voices were just horrible in my opinion...[/quote][COLOR=maroon]Honestly, I didn't really notice a difference in the screaming quality, although the Japanese version definately had the edge with it's high-pitch-girl-like voice actors.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Personally, I prefer subs. Though I do like certain dubs like Outlaw Star.

Like in Gravitation, DNAngel and Naruto, I prefer the subbed versions.

Though I prefer subbed versions, it is fun to be able to watch both and then compare the two.[/COLOR]

I perfer dubbed cause in some cases when it's dubbed in american it comes out a little funnier then the japanese original. not that the japanese version isn't as funny i guess it just a westerner's thing but the bottom line is that i perfer dubbed Anime :D to subtiltled ones. :mad:

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Well seeing that this has already been discussed before and that my opinion has not changed, I?ll just re-post what I said before.[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I actually like both. Unless the translation is horrible I prefer to first watch the dub so I don?t have to read while trying to watch the show at the same time. Then once I know what is going on I like to go back and then watch the sub to pick up on the differences between the two. Often, especially with a show like Fruits Basket, I end up having things I like better in both formats.

Though for some of the shows that are edited to death like Sailor Moon, once I?ve seen the uncut sub version I can?t bring myself to watch the dub again. *shudder*[/COLOR][/QUOTE]And there you have it. I still feel the same way and for the most part like both. Other than a few like Sailor Moon. I?m sure there are others that have poor translations, but I?ve yet to watch them. Or perhaps I should say I've seen others with bad translations, but not enough for me to totally dislike the sub version. [/COLOR]

[color=black][size=1][b]Dub. Not that I have anything against subtitles, I just prefer to understand what I'm hearing. I don't like reading while I'm trying to watch what's going on in any program. (Granted that I've never seen a subtitled anime, and really don't plan to either.)[/b][/size][/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well for me it really all depends on what series i'm watching. Like for one series I may want to watch the sub because, like everybody else, I dont like the voice actors. Or, I may want to watch the dub because I do like the voice actors. But I usually watch the dub, but, like I said, it really all depends on what series your watching.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I was surprised to hear many people like the dubbed.
Note that I'm not against anything, just want to hear people's opinion.

I too agree that when there are lots of humors, it's difficult to be funny with subtitles.
Same can be said for non-anime movies as well I guess.

one reason that I don't like dubbed ones is that the new voices are too different from the original voices.
There are a few exceptions but in most cases, it makes me feel weird to hear voices that don't really match the characters' atmospheres.
Yeah, ofcourse one person is speaking Japanese & other person is speaking English, so I'm sure it sounds different, but coundn't they try to find a person with similar tone of voice?

[color=#ff7520][quote name='jakewise']one reason that I don't like dubbed ones is that the new voices are too different from the original voices.[/quote][color=#007520]Solution: Watch the dub first. After you finish the entire series with a dub you will become accustomed to those voices. Of course there will be some voices that you can not agree with, but in those cases you can honestly say that you didn't like the choice of actor for their talent/performance.[/color]

[quote name='jakewise']but coundn't they try to find a person with similar tone of voice?[/quote][color=#007520]There are a few reasons the original voices don't match the English dubbed voices.

The first reason has to do with money and budget; they may not have had the time/money to find the right people and have to settle for someone not as good.

The second reason has to do with localization. In this instance, the directors/producers try to find a voice they believe will be better accepted in the United States. This is why Goku didn't sound like a girl in the American version of Dragonball Z. Before anyone goes on a classic "save-my-anime" rant, it should be noted that it may be as often as not the Japanese producers who decide to change the voice for the American audience.

Also keep in mind that the way we emphasize things in English aren't always the way we emphasize things in other languages. Sometimes something will be said in English in the same tone as the original without a similar impact. Also keep in mind that when you listen to a language in another language, you're not familiar with how it [i]should[/i] sound and aren't an expert on how well an actor performs.

-r2[/color][/color]

[QUOTE]Solution: Watch the dub first. After you finish the entire series with a dub you will become accustomed to those voices... [/QUOTE]

I don't know how you can so strongly say that it is the solution.
It sounds that you are just saying "Don't like it? Get used to it!" in a long sentence.

[QUOTE]The second reason has to do with localization.In this instance, the directors/producers try to find a voice they believe will be better accepted in the United States.[/QUOTE]

The localization part, I get your point but I have a bit different stance.
Ex, If Mickey has low manly voice, I'm sure people say "That's not Mickey!"
I'm just saying the same. :animesmil :animesmil

[QUOTE]This is why Goku didn't sound like a girl in the American version of Dragonball Z.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you know why it sounds like a girl in the original.
The voice is originally done by a woman.
They did it because Goku was a little kid when the series started out,
and it is difficult for grown-up man to voice a little kid. ;)

[color=#ff7520][QUOTE=jakewise]I don't know how you can so strongly say that it is the solution.
It sounds that you are just saying "Don't like it? Get used to it!" in a long sentence.[/QUOTE][color=#007520]Don't worry, 'twas mostly a joke. But there was some truth in there. The point I was trying to make was that a lot of people don't like a certain voice because it doesn't sound faithful to the original. The problem with that is there times when the original voice doesn't match as well as the new voice.
For the fans in question, the new voice will be lacking because of its differences, even if it actually surpasses the original in talent and performance.[/color]

[QUOTE=jakewise]The localization part, I get your point but I have a bit different stance.
Ex, If Mickey has low manly voice, I'm sure people say "That's not Mickey!"
I'm just saying the same. :animesmil :animesmil[/quote][color=#007520]That is also true. There are some qualities of a voice, even when being reproduced in a new region and language, that should stay the same. This is why the English crew for Naruto took great pains to find that childish, raspy voice for its lead.
Sometimes, though, the rechoosing of voices is essential. Take Goku's case for example...[/color]

[QUOTE=jakewise]I'm sure you know why it sounds like a girl in the original.
The voice is originally done by a woman.
They did it because Goku was a little kid when the series started out,
and it is difficult for grown-up man to voice a little kid. ;)[/QUOTE][color=#007520]Yes, I do know that it's done by a woman. Though, the way it was explained to me was that even as Goku grew up he kept that childish demeanor and personality. It was personafied through his childish voice.
The point I was trying to make, though, was that his voice (or voices, since the actor was switched more than once) was intentionally deeper, manlier if you will, in the English versions of Dragonball Z. This is because producers find it difficult for Americans to accept the lead role in such a machismo series to have such a feminine voice. ie > Localization.

-r2[/color][/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]For me, it would depend on the quality of the translation. If the dubbed translation is more accurate than the subbed, then I'd prefer the dubbed, and vice versa. I want to watch and understand anime the way the creators intended.( If I could understand Japanese it would've awesome) I'm sure we all have the problem where sometimes the subs don't make any sense and we might feel that the dubbed versions may have lost some of the emotion that there was in the original.

P.S who doesn't just love the way Demon Eyes Kyo says:"MIMYU JIMPURYU SATJUKEN" right before his enemy is destroyed,from Samurai Deeper Kyo. Now who would want to dub that!!?[/COLOR] ;)

[COLOR=Blue][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Century Gothic]I prefer subtiled, or at least the original japanese version with out subtitles, only because most of the time, America always says names and places wrong or something like that. But it all depends on if it is VIZ or ADV or anyother dubbing like OCEAN GROUP and stuff like that. VIZ usually does a good job dubbing, so it all depends... Okay, im done now. :catgirl: [/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Seeing as I posted here before at an eairler time, I shall just quote said post.

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well, the only way I can see on which one you would like the most depends on which one your used to more, (which does slightly contradict the point but who's counting). I though that I liked subs more, since whenever I saw subs turned into dubs, although I am not just singling one certain anime out, I just always found subs better.

However in another case, when I first began to watch Full Metal Alchemist, it was already dubbed on Adult Swim so having absolutly no reason to search for subs I just watched it there. However, when I watched a subbed version of a Full Metal Alchemist movie I really didn't like it. It wasnt just the subtitles that made me not like it though, the voices just seemed not to match how I saw them.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

As r2vq said, if the only problem that you have with a dub is the voices, then yeah, watch the dub first. As said in my previous post That happened to me with Full Metal Alchemist.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I actually do not have a preference. I usually watch the dub version and then later I?ll go back and watch the subtitled version to see the difference. Sometimes I?ll end up liking one more that the other, but with how most DVD?s now have both when you buy them you don?t have to choose as you get both. And if you don?t like one then it doesn?t really matter as a simple change has the show playing in which every format you end up liking best for that show.[QUOTE=jakewise]I was surprised to hear many people like the dubbed.
Note that I'm not against anything, just want to hear people's opinion.[/QUOTE]I?m often surprised by how people won?t give the dubs a chance. Many of the animes being translated have much better dubs than they use to have. And with DVD being the main format it?s so easy for companies to provide both on the disk when you buy it.

Besides, stop and think about this. If you watch very much TV then you know that unless you are on a specific channel that provides subtitles, pretty much every channel is broadcast in the language that is common to that area. If subtitles really were popular, more channels would be broadcasting shows in the subtitled format instead of in the dubbed. And companies would not bother to pay voice actors to do the voiceovers if there wasn?t a demand for the service. [QUOTE=jakewise]one reason that I don't like dubbed ones is that the new voices are too different from the original voices.
There are a few exceptions but in most cases, it makes me feel weird to hear voices that don't really match the characters' atmospheres.
Yeah, ofcourse one person is speaking Japanese & other person is speaking English, so I'm sure it sounds different, but coundn't they try to find a person with similar tone of voice?[/QUOTE]I think r2vq covered this already, but there isn?t any comparison. The very nature of how the language is spoken makes using similar voice an unnecessary expense as they would have to find someone who sounds like that and even then it?s no guarantee that they can act. Trying to find someone who sounds similar would be like trying to get them to have a fake accent, like the fake British or Southern accent. Anyone who is familiar with it is going to cringe since it won?t sound natural.

And another thing, unless you are fluent enough in Japanese and their culture, how would you even know if the voice actor they chose is any good? It?s easy to think the original is better but the reality is that they might not be any good and we lack the ability to even hear the difference. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Ah, the argument that will never end.

Short answer: Subs.

Long answer: Ideally I should just get my Japanese up to battle readiness and watch anime without having to detour over into English to understand it, but until then subs seem like the next best thing. I just use them as a crutch, mostly. I can get the "gist" of what's being said by ear, but most of the time I need to match that up with the subs to get a more thorough understanding. Plus I read fast.

I can think of two good non-aesthetic arguments I can offer for subs.

First: if I'm [i]very[/i] doubtful of the English translation of a sentence or even a single key word - or if I just need to understand what's being said there in a clearer way (most recent example: the end of Revi's submarine speech in Black Lagoon 5) - I can go [i]back[/i] to the original Japanese and try to work it out for myself. For a dub this would require switching audio tracks entirely, and anyways I've found that I'm far less inclined to pay attention to these translation questions when I'm watching things [i]eigo de[/i]. Obviously this doesn't happen that often, and obviously for most people this wouldn't be a concern, but for me it's sometimes very important.

Second: There are some things which simply [i]cannot be brought across in the audio change[/i]. While I love the hell out of the english VA they got for Osaka (in Azumanga), for instance, and I find that gentle Texas drawl cute as all get out, it just isn't equivalent to Kansai dialect. It doesn't [i]sound[/i] in the same way, and the Texas accent just doesn't have the same implications (we don't have anything equivalent to tsukkomi comedy over here etc.). A better, although more obscure example: a recent episode of Magical Pokaan involves the characters getting into a drinking game where they have to speak in English the whole time and chug whenever they lapse back into Japanese. Now, I doubt that Pokaan is ever going to be released domestically, but if it is... well, there is simply [i]no way in hell[/i] to dub this episode. It's an dub director's worst nightmare. Even switching the English over to some other language wouldn't make it work, because no "second language" here (not even Spanish) has the same sense that [i]eigo[/i] has in Japan. This is the most extreme example that I know of, but it's something that dubs as a whole always run up against. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes about translation:

[quote][SIZE=1][I]If translation were just pinning the tail on the donkey it would be easy, but the donkey is running and the translator is riding another beast, going in some other direction: each language and each and every word has its own momentary vector. So, for instance, even when the original wants to dictate the right word- e.g. Programm-- directly into English, with only a slight shift of spelling, it turns out that the English equivalent now instinctually summons up computers-- not the self-understood political sense of the original-- with bareably containable textual implications. Since the right word was always waiting, and had to be left waiting, this translation is made of whatever else was handy: a carrot for the nose, lightbulbs for eyes, some feathers for the mustache. Propped on a bench in the distance with its back to the sunset, perhaps it even looks alive. But it is not to be leaned against and neither will it bare much scrutiny.[/I][/SIZE][/quote]Anyways, moving on.

As for personal taste, at this point I've just watched so much anime in Japanese that viewing it in English becomes... unnerving. Like I'm seeing it through cellophane or something. Anime in Japanese has a certain constant kind of "rhythm" to it that I'm not sure I can describe adequately; there's a "consistency" between how the phrases fall and the gestures, the movements, and in general the ebb and flow of the points of emphasis in a scene. This is all changed in a [i]very[/i] sharp way by the jump to another language, and for me it's quite jarring. I go in expecting Monet and get Picasso.

Now, dubs have improved immeasurably over the past ten years or so, which has also gone hand in hand with what I think is a [i]decline[/i] in Japanese VA quality. So we're beginning to see English tracks that are better than the Japanese ones - Howl's Moving Castle being, I think, the best recent case in point. But damn it, it's not all about acting quality. I'm stubborn and crotchety and for me the audio and visuals just [i]gel[/i] better when the audio's in Japanese. Now, I don't think any of the above will remotely matter for someone who's only starting up with anime, or who just watches anime casually, or who isn't bothered by the jump over into English. But for me it's occasionally a make or break kind of thing.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]And here I thought I had posted in a thread like this. Guess I need to fix that.

For the most part it really depends on the anime as to whether or not I prefer subtitles or the dub version. For example some of the older anime?s like Sailor Moon and Samurai Troopers were so heavily modified that the only way to get the original is through a subtitled release as parts if them were never subbed. And to be honest the subbing that was done sucked quite a bit due to the alterations that were made.

Now that subbing has improved dramatically I am finding series like Fruits Basket, InuYasha (which I watch occasionally) and Full Metal Panic have subs that are good enough that unless I just want to see the differences I don?t even bother to watch the subtitles. Or older ones that are finally being released like Wedding Peach that although older like Sailor Moon, have a decent dubbing for the type of show it is as by the time it was released in the USA they weren?t altering the anime?s as much as they use to.

So I really don?t have a preference. Though if I ever get to the point where I can understand Japanese, I?ll probably just watch them in their native language and do away with both the subtitles and dubbing. But that?s a long ways away I?m afraid. [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlazingDestiny
For me, at times, it's both subbed and dubbed. I do like hearing the original Japanese voices, but I'm also find it interesting to listen to dubbed version. Plus, dubbed version gives me a better understanding of what's going on that I couldn't understand in the subbed version (sometimes the subbing isn't that great) if the story has much depth to it.

On the other hand, some dubbed versions aren't really all that good, like the voices completely does not match the character. Sometimes it's tolerable and you get use to it, but some others are just plain terrible.

subtitles for me i love hearing the chars speak japanese cuz thats how it should be im sorry but theres very any dub that is good and if there is thats rare indeed so i say subs 100% all the way :catgirl:

[color=#007520][INDENT][SIZE=1]neried, Otakuboards emphasizes post quality and conversation. In short, if you don't use proper English, your posts will be regarded as spam and will be deleted. Make use of punctuations, full words, proper spelling. Make sure to read the [url=http://otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules[/url] before continuing to post. If you have any questions, PM me or any of the other moderators. -r2[/SIZE][/INDENT][/color]

I prefer the dubbed voices as annoying as they may be (sometimes)
My reason because I hate subtitles it's like they take away fromt the movie.

[color=#007520][SIZE=1][INDENT]Mar, we want you to have discussions at Otakuboards. To make it easier, don't post such short, pointless posts. ie. Expand on your posts. You can do this by telling us [i]why[/i] you think subtitles take away from movies. Give us examples of this. Read the [url=http://otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules[/url] before continuing to post. If you have any questions, PM me or any of the other moderators. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/color]

Everything depends on my mood and other factors. One factor being that I am near sighted and the first time I watch something I have no great desire to squint at the televison set trying to read subtitles and watch the action simutaniously. so, the first time I watch something i watch it dubbed. After that, I will watch it in Japanese with subtitles so i can hear how the show/movie originally sounds/looks/feels. after that it depends on my mood and wether or not i'm watching the show/movie with other people. Then I usually give the other person their choice, because I'm a nice person. :)

Personally I prefer the dub, mainly because I don?t want to have to try and read what they?re saying and pay attention to what?s going on.

My brain cant handle that much multi-tasking :animeswea

I suppose I would rather watch it in the original Japanese with english subs if I knew how to speak Japanese, but I cant seem to find any place I can learn :animecry:
so I?ll have to stick to the dubs

Whether I watch the sub or dub depends on my mood...and also which series I'm watching. Fortunately, most of the few anime DVDs I own have good dubs. Last week I was watching 'Noir', and put on the dub because I didn't feel like having to read the subtitles whilst eating lunch. On the rare occasion I have something my younger brother might like, I play the dub because he's not so good at following the subtitles. This has lead to us watching the 'Flame vs. Fullmetal' episode of FMA about six times (no real violence). Its fun but not [I]that [/I]good :rolleyes:

One thing I find interesting about the dubs is how lines are interpreted in English, the choice of words can change the meaning. I can't think of any specific examples.... But long as the dub is as close as possible to the original in meaning and mood, then I'm happy.

You do get a few voice-actors who's voices are just...irritating, and not just in the dub. I prefer the dub of 'Fruits Basket' to the original, but in, say, Fullmetal Alchemist, I thought that the original VA was better for the part then Vic Mignogna. He did [I]well[/I] but he just didn't convince me that his character was 15. And if an actor doesn't make you believe in the part then, well... -_-

I guess, because I'm a speed reader (GO! Speed Reader! Go, Speed Reader! Go, Speed Reader, GO!!), I have no problem with subbed. Also, there are some things in japanese that just can't be expressed properly in english, or might even be mistranslated, like the reason for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.

Oh, and if you don't know what I mean about the bombings, just send me a message.