OtakuBoards

Heroes on NBC

Papa Smurf

[center][img]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/194/heroes1copyax5.jpg[/img]
[/center]

All right, people, I know White watched the premiere, but who else did? You better have, because the show was amazing. It's been advertised as a superhero-type show, but I think it's better than that, notably because the powers aren't really the "regular" powers...or at least how they're used in the show.

I think my favorite character so far is this indestructible cheerleader. Her first big fall is awesome. I won't spoil anything here because you all need to check the repeat of the episode this Friday, I believe. Suffice to say, it's amazing. I never thought dislocations could be so cool, horrifying, and compelling all at the same time.

Her experience with the kitchen sink's garbage disposal was unbelievable, too. ^_^

In terms of sheer character grooviness, the top guy is Hiro, some Japanese bookworm cubicle gopher who talks entirely in Star Trek and X-Men references. He's the man.

Everyone needs to check out this show. Especially Shy. You'll love it, dude. Right up your alley.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Fifteen minutes into the show Papa Smurf here PMs me and says "Heroes on NBC=[spoiler]swearword![/spoiler] amazing and it's only 15 minutes into the premiere." ...and I am thankful for that.

As soon as I got the message I flipped on the TV beside me and checked it out as Heroes was something I had taken interest in when I saw the commercial, but forgot about. The first person I saw was Hiro, and I fell in love. With the character, that is.

I fell in love with all the characters, actually. Each one has special characteristics that make them loveable and they're just so easy to relate to, in one way or another. But that's not even what was cool about the show!

The coolest part was the different powers each person discovered (or was discovering). I won't say a lot since I really encourage you all to see it for yourselves but [i]damn[/i] were they awesome.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=dimgray]I was gonna post a thread on this but someone beat me too it ^^.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]I'm glad to hear that there are people that liked the show as much as I did. I felt like the presentation was amazing. White you are totally right, the characters just seem real, like they don't seem fake, and their powers seem to match that feeling. I'm interested in learning more about the Blonde Mom, because that section was nuts,[SPOILER] someone ripped in half, that's some loco status stuff[/SPOILER][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Your right Papa Smurf the garbage disposal scene was nuts, like who does that.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]I really liked Hiro's character as well, he is just funny, I also enjoyed the artist, they've done a good job so far with giving character depth. It seems like most superhero shows the characters just seem 2d like they are just a walking image from a comic.[/color][/size]

Haha, I was going to make this thread too.

Anyway, yes, the series premiere was fantastic. Like White, I loved how everyone actually discovered their powers. My favorite image of discovery was either Claire (the cheerleader) [spoiler]popping her shoulder back into its socket after that eighty-foot fall (though they make it obvious that she knew about her power long before that)[/spoiler] or Isaac (the drug addict/artist) [spoiler]shivering like crazy and pointing out how his paintings have translated into reality - pretty eerie stuff.[/spoiler] Hiro exploding with joy after [spoiler]teleporting to New York City[/spoiler] and Nathan [spoiler]actually being the one who can fly rather than Peter[/spoiler] were awesome moments too.

The latter of those two was a nice twist, as was [spoiler]that weird guy talking to Mohinder in the car being Claire's father. I think it's a safe bet that he already knows about Claire's power, and judging by his conversation with Peter, I think that Mohinder suspects that Peter might have some kind of power, though I might be reading a bit too much into that.[/spoiler]

Heroes was just incredible from start to finish, and I'm am damn excited about where this series is going. Watch it, people!! :)

[quote name='Papa Smurf']Everyone needs to check out this show. Especially Shy. You'll love it, dude. Right up your alley.[/quote]
[size=1]The premise of the show reminds me too much of my old 'Hero' RPG. It bothers me to the point where I can't even watch the show's promos without wanting to smash something. I think I'm more bothered that 'Hero' died, than the fact 'Heroes' has a similar premise and title.

Everyone I know who has seen the premiere loves it, though. So maybe I'll give ita chance.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1]The premise of the show reminds me too much of my old 'Hero' RPG. It bothers me to the point where I can't even watch the show's promos without wanting to smash something I think I'm more bothered that 'Hero' died, than the fact 'Heroes' has a similar premise and title.

Everyone I know who has seen the premiere loves it, though. So maybe I'll give ita chance.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

I seriously freaked out a little bit inside when I heard about this show a few days back, because it reminded me so much about Hero!

It's just a quirky coincidence, I know, but I can't help but to find it scary that one of the characters of this Heroes is a blonde woman with a murderous alterego - just like my character, Viveca, in Shy's Hero! 8(

[QUOTE=Sandy]I seriously freaked out a little bit inside when I heard about this show a few days back, because it reminded me so much about Hero!

It's just a quirky coincidence, I know, but I can't help but to find it scary that one of the characters of this Heroes is a blonde woman with a murderous alterego - just like my character, Viveca, in Shy's Hero! 8([/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]You say that as if the murderous alterego power is original, lol.

The Incredible Hulk anyone?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]You say that as if the murderous alterego power is original, lol.

The Incredible Hulk anyone?[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

But I wasn't talking about a physical transformation, just mental.

I agree that it's not that original for a superpower, but it's uncanny that they decided to have a similar looking woman with a similar power as my character in Hero. My mind can't even think about all the possibilities what this might tell about the nature of world.

One thing comes to mind, though: that there might be a limited amount of ideas...

[QUOTE=Sandy]But I wasn't talking about a physical transformation, just mental.

I agree that it's not that original for a superpower, but it's uncanny that they decided to have a similar looking woman with a similar power as my character in Hero. My mind can't even think about all the possibilities what this might tell about the nature of world.

One thing comes to mind, though: that there might be a limited amount of ideas...[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]The way they did the Stripper's power was really cool, what with the audience remembering as much as she does. The similar look is just chance, I'm sure hair colour may have been picked out, but everything else just came with the actress.

And you're right, there are only so many powers out there to choose from. It's hard to be original when people have been writing stuff like this for a few hundred years.[/FONT][/COLOR]

The show wasn't bad. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I felt some of the ideas behind it weren't well presented (largely the father's research), but there's tons of room to explain that more in the rest of the season. The preview afterwards for the upcoming episodes looked very promising and I think the show is just going to get a lot better.

My only real complaint is when the teacher in the beginning goes on about "they say humans only use 10% of their brains". Sometimes I wonder if writers even really research things because most people should know by now that that's just a load of crap pushed by psychics and other weirdos to explain their non-existant abilities and potential.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']My only real complaint is when the teacher in the beginning goes on about "they say humans only use 10% of their brains". Sometimes I wonder if writers even really research things because most people should know by now that that's just a load of crap pushed by psychics and other weirdos to explain their non-existant abilities and potential.[/quote][color=#007520]As long as they don't continue to push that as the cause for the rest of the series, it should be okay. It just seemed like that's how he was trying to get the kids interested.

Honestly, I've been looking forward to this series, ever since I saw the commercial for the first time. The first episode did not disappoint me. In fact, it even surprised me. I don't disagree that not everything was presented perfectly, but I'm a sucker for eye candy. After the cheerleader jumped and [spoiler]still had her ribs sticking out[/spoiler] how could you not fall in love with that?

I have to honestly say that I was surprised by the ending. Though, really, I guess I shouldn't have been. Nobody else seems to have [spoiler]two powers[/spoiler].

My favourite character so far is Hiro. Was anyone else reminded of the Yatta Yatta song? 8)
Hiro is proof that if super powers suddenly appeared on the planet, only us nerds would know how to deal with them.
Hey spock! Use your death grip! Death grip!!

-r2[/color]

[B]OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B]

I've been telling people about the commercials and how I was going to finally sit down and watch an American TV series, and I totally forgot about it!!!!! :animeangr

Thanks for reminding me, although it's past already! I've been so busy I haven't really gotten a chance to chill out. [B]Does anyone know if they're going to show the first episode again or if I can find it on the internet? [/B]

Thanks.

[quote name='visualkei][B']Does anyone know if they're going to show the first episode again or if I can find it on the internet? [/B][/quote][color=#007520]Normally, that would be against the rules. You're lucky that it's not the case this time around though.

The first episode is fully downloadable from the NBC website. I think you have to be in the States, though, it wont let me stream from Canada.

Edit: Forgot to add this [url=http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/][B]link[/B][/url].

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, the link is right on the front page.

Anyways, in case you didn't catch the re-run on Friday at 7pm, there will be another re-run tommorow (Sunday the 1st) at 6:00pm on MITV (I'm pretty sure that's its name). You can always double check if you want. But you might not be able to get it since MITV is channel 318 (or 317, I forget).

Definitely taping it for my friends to watch. =]

[b]EDIT:[/b] It's also on Sunday at 7PM on Global.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][QUOTE=Papa Smurf]New episode just aired earlier tonight. I'm having fun. Who else is? [spoiler]That trunk was insane[/spoiler].

I like the cop's character. Very oafish. I am looking forward to where the CIA/FBI characters go...they were such bitches.[/QUOTE]
It was so good. It really lived up to the first episode (and at the beginning, I was afraid that it wouldn't).

I've gotta say that while [spoiler]the trunk/map thing and the cop thing was cool, nothing beats the ending with Hiro and the explosion.[/spoiler] Hah! You know what's funny? Earlier in the episode the painter says "[spoiler]It's like Hiroshima![/spoiler]" Get it? [spoiler][b]Hiro[/b]shima[/spoiler]? Maybe it's just a coincidence.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#007520]I was annoyed by the inconsistancies with the first episode. Some were explained, some were not.

The cop was cool. He's like a little boy cute. I wasn't as keen on the trunk thing though. Maybe I'm just not as into [spoiler]blood and gore[/spoiler] as you two. xP

My favourite part, like White, was the ending. When Hiro's friend says "[spoiler]We've been looking for him for five weeks![/spoiler]" I had to scream in the fanboy fashion of "OMGWTFBBQ" as well as "So that explains the ending on the train of Episode 1!".

I'm glad the nurse boy got his [spoiler]flying power working. It would have sucked if his power was simply to feel through his brother... who could fly.[/spoiler]

-r2[/color]

That was a great episode.

I had a strong feeling that [spoiler]Isaac would have been the one to draw the comic with Hiro on it,[/spoiler] but I was definitely thrown for a loop when it was revealed that [spoiler]Hiro traveled too far into the future when he teleported to New York; he obviously doesn't have complete control over his powers just yet, haha.[/spoiler]

And, yeah, [spoiler]the trunk was pretty wild, as was the discovery of the skeleton in the burial spot. I wonder who else she's been ditching there. Seeing Isaac with the top of his head sawed off was crazy, too. Claire's dad is a ****ing nutjob.[/spoiler]

Oh, and Mohinder keeps jumping up on my cool scale, that rascally professor. The girl [spoiler]who saved him[/spoiler] is cool, too, and pretty damn cute. ;)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Simply put, this show has been rushed to the brink of destruction. Some of the characters are finding out their powers a tad bit to quickly, When you get out of bed and your foot noly hovers for a moment are you really going to think you can fly?

I highly doubt it, Hiro was able to teleport to new york after one day, he hasnt even had his power that long and he was able to bend the space time contuim, What is with that? firstly he just sent a second back on the clock, ok that seems good, not rushed or anything. But they could have made it alittle more clean, and not seem rushed.

It could take several shows [10+] for the characters to even notice their abilties and then start pondering them, maybe after the tenth episode jump from a building if you have seem signs or somthing, not just hover for a moment, Thats just bollocks.

Take Hiro for instance, he is in for a meeting or something, and he is counting down the hours, he is tired from some affair at home and is really trying to get home to take a rest, maybe he was on the computer all night and came in, after several seconds after taking a fair amount of glances at the clock he keeps his mind set on it, waiting for this to end and go home, and a second goes back. He wonders what happened but shrugs it off and decides to keep interest in the meeting.

But that could be a central basis, you slightly understand his power but more can be added, not just going "I DID IT!" that makes it sound like he knew about it the whole time, or to me it did. But I like the show and will continue to watch it regardless.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=#007520]First off, I highly enjoyed Episode 3. I think this series is continuing well.

[quote name='Obesepanda][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]When you get out of bed and your foot noly hovers for a moment are you really going to think you can fly?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]The problem here is that Peter has had the most trouble with his powers since then. In fact, we don't even know if his foot was even hovering at all. Even he said that [spoiler]he [i]thinks[/i] it was.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Obesepanda][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Hiro was able to teleport to new york after one day, he hasnt even had his power that long and he was able to bend the space time contuim, What is with that?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Like I said before, Hiro is proof that only nerds would know what to do with superpowers if they had them. He noticed something was strange, he put two and two together, and he decided to try something out. And you'll see in the second episode [spoiler]he wasn't in total control of his power when that happenned.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Obesepanda][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]they could have made it alittle more clean, and not seem rushed.

It could take several shows [10+] for the characters to even notice their abilties and then start pondering them, maybe after the tenth episode jump from a building if you have seem signs or somthing, not just hover for a moment, Thats just bollocks.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]I disagree with this. Although it might work for a series that focuses on one character learning how to use super abilities, ie. Smallville, I don't think it would work with the larger cast that Heroes has. We would eventually get bored, and the plot would never grow because we're spending too much time growing the characters.

[quote name='Obesepanda][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Take Hiro for instance, he is in for a meeting or something, and he is counting down the hours, he is tired from some affair at home and is really trying to get home to take a rest, maybe he was on the computer all night and came in, after several seconds after taking a fair amount of glances at the clock he keeps his mind set on it, waiting for this to end and go home, and a second goes back. He wonders what happened but shrugs it off and decides to keep interest in the meeting.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Imagine we did that with every character. I actually like the way they did this because not everyone is discovering their powers at the same rate.
Yes, Hiro discovered his pretty quickly, but he's a nerd. He's thinking about things like this all the time. His life is always mundane and he's looking for any exit he can get. He's a clock puncher, and he wants to stop the cycle. The moment anything different comes along, he'll ride the excitement.
Look at Claire. She [spoiler]refuses to deal with her powers. Instead of using them, she's trying to just live her life.[/spoiler]
Look at Nathan. He [spoiler]doesn't use his powers at all. He focuses on his election, and the producers only know if he's going to develop his powers at all.[/spoiler]
Peter is another good example. He [spoiler]can't seem to get his powers working at all.[/spoiler]

[B]R2's Episode 3 Thoughts/Theories[/B]
[INDENT]1. D.L. [spoiler]didn't kill his men. Niki's doppleganger did. That's why she knew where they were buried.[/spoiler]
2. Sylar [spoiler]steals the powers of others. He does this by taking their brains. He stole Isaac's right? He also seems to have more than just a few powers like the others.[/spoiler] This leads me to 3 and 4.
3. The girl that Matt found [spoiler]has powers and Sylar is after them. He pinpointed the one with the powers, but he mistakenly believed it to be the father. That's why the father's brain was sliced.[/spoiler]
4. The powers are [spoiler]found in the brain. This is why Niki couldn't regenerate until the wood was pulled from her skull.[/spoiler]
5. Peter is trying to [spoiler]activate the wrong power. That's why he hasn't been able to fly yet.[/spoiler] Damn wikipedia. I wouldn't have thought of this if I hadn't read their Character Descriptions. >_>[/INDENT]
-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][CENTER][B][SIZE=4]Oh, snap![/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Each episode just keeps getting better and better. Come on, [spoiler]the part where Hiro and Ando decide to use Hiro's powers was just hillarious. And of course, the ending was, as always amazing. Hiro from the future (with a Katana)?[/spoiler] Hell yeah![/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial][spoiler]Peter is a power absorber, like Rogue without the kick in the chest. Wikipedia tells all, with references, kids.[/spoiler][/font][/color'][/size][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]After the fourth (and third) episode, that's obvious.[/FONT][/COLOR]