OtakuBoards

When I say New York, what do you think of?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]A shameless knock off of the Australlia thread, I know. But bear with me please because I'm a New Yorker, but not from New York City. I'm from the Western part of the state. And well, I'm wondering what people think when they hear the word New York.

I swear I won't get offended. Really. I may just try to clear something up, but not yell. Really.[/color][/font]

Honestly?

I'm highly annoyed by the fact that in American reality-shows, when somebody says they are from NY, they [I]always[/I] have to add "- the greatest city in the world!". And then everybody cheers. National pride is okay, but isn't that a little over the top?

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Sandy]Honestly?

I'm highly annoyed by the fact that in American reality-shows, when somebody says they are from NY, they [I]always[/I] have to add "- the greatest city in the world!". And then everybody cheers. National pride is okay, but isn't that a little over the top?[/QUOTE]
Plenty of people are proud of where they live, and say so vocally, New York doesn't have to be singled out man.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]I think of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, wise-cracking taxi drivers, and the lights and overall spectacle of Time Square.

I also think of Ground Zero, and how much I wanted to stand amidst those towers when they were standing. New York is a very impressive place, and I do hope to visit it sometime.[/color]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]When I think of New York, I think of the Adirondack Mountains, and of evergreen forests, the Saratoga race tracks, and of my old home.

Yes, I lived in New York for a while - in a little town called Malta. It's located in the city of Ballston Spa, in Saratoga County. My old address was 67 Snowberry Rd, Malta, NY 12020 (if anyone wants to look it up), and I do miss it dearly.

Oh, the brisk autumn air, the vibrant display of leaves - to think I am missing all of this while I sit in an air-conditioned room here in Texas, hiding myself from the heat and humidity which still hangs around, despite the time of year. How I long to return to New York, at least only to see the snow fall in winter - to see the tall evergreen trees powdered in ghostly sheets of white.

Oh, well, later.

EDIT - I have been to New York City, though, stood on the rooftop of one of the World Trade Center towers back in 1999, and I dined at one of their restaurants near the top floor, so I, at least, have something I can say about my travels.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Unfortunately, I think of food poisoning. I've been to New York City once, for five days, and spent three of those days laid up in my Helmsley hotel room with salmonella or similar. I blame bagels. Bread should not be that shiny, it's unnatural.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]When someone says New York City, the first thought that goes through my mind is I was born there. But then I also think that since my parents moved when I was four, that other than a few images of tall buildings, which may be New York City or may be somewhere else, I have no memory of living in that place.

So it?s basically the city I know and yet don?t know. I have been there a few times since I got older, but other than going shopping with some friends, nothing really stood out in my mind. Except a couple of stores that had some great anime art book selections as I love to collect art books. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sandy]Honestly?

I'm highly annoyed by the fact that in American reality-shows, when somebody says they are from NY, they [I]always[/I] have to add "- the greatest city in the world!". And then everybody cheers. National pride is okay, but isn't that a little over the top?[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] Actually when I say I'm from New York I always have to add that I'm not from the city. I'm proud to be a Western New Yorker![/color][/font]

[quote name='Shinje][color=crimson']I think of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings.[/color][/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Uh. I thought that the Chrysler Building was in Chicago. I keep remembering this line that Miss Hannigan says in Annie and Annie was set in Chicago.

And Derald I could hug you! Because apperantly everyone else is seeing NY and thinking city[/color][/font]

When someone says New York to me at this very moment I think that I will be there tomorrow. I'm actually going to be leaving for Lake George in a few hours. :D So currently when New York is mentioned I think of my trip. The 3 hour drive to Seattle then the long flight from Seattle to Albany then the drive to Lake George. All this "time travel" is going to kill me! *shakes fist at time zones*

If you were to ask me before this trip was planned I would have to say it was my last trip to NYC in 1991. Yeah, it's been a long time since I was in "the city that never sleeps". I think of seeing the sites... Ellis Island, Battery Park, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Broadway and the World Trade Center. Which then makes me think of 9/11. :(

I also think of cheesecake, taxi cabs, food vendors with carts, newspaper stands, cockroaches, apartments and high rises, subway, people...lots and lots of people, pizza (NY vs. Chicago), Tiki Barber (the hawtness) and Adam (the founder of theOtaku...who is also the hawtness).

It's sad when people think only of NYC when New York is mention...there is an entire state ya know! *pot calling kettle black* I know I am guilty of this too. :animeswea

Edit: LOL CHW, when I am visiting the east coast and say I am from Washington I have to say "state, not DC" since everyone assumes I mean DC.

[QUOTE=Panda]
I also think of cheesecake, taxi cabs, food vendors with carts, newspaper stands, cockroaches, apartments and high rises, subway, people...lots and lots of people, pizza (NY vs. Chicago), Tiki Barber (the hawtness) and Adam (the founder of theOtaku...who is also the hawtness).

It's sad when people think only of NYC when New York is mention...there is an entire state ya know! *pot calling kettle black* I know I am guilty of this too. :animeswea

Edit: LOL CHW, when I am visiting the east coast and say I am from Washington I have to say "state, not DC" since everyone assumes I mean DC.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Hey, can I be part of the hawtness as well? Because whenever I tawk to my friend in Troy (outside of Albany) I end up tawking like she does. Man now I need some cawfee.

You would not believe how many people do that though! When I moved to Killeen,Texas from my area of New York my friend asked me how I could stand living in such a big city. Also my mom gets that a lot when she travels for work and tells the people she's training where she's from. She actually has to explain that New York is 'L' shaped and she lives in the Western part of the state.

And it's funny you should mention that you have to explain you're from Washington state. I actually got into a debate with a guy back at one of my old jobs who was convinced that the Washington Redskins were from Washington state![/color][/font]

[size=1][color=dimgray]Hmm New York, when I think of New York it makes me think of rap music. Tupac Shakur was born in new york, Biggie, The Diplomats, Big L, I could go on but it just reminds me of music. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Also there are a few thoughts of the panther party, though only a few, not enough that I'd really be able to give a lecture or anything. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]I also get a alot of thoughts of history, Jazz, Bootlegging, The Mob. I guess alot of what I seem to think of is cultural, alot of dealing with my african american half. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Oh and the last think I think of a kid I know that used to say he was from Brooklyn, and a whole lot of New York Pride behind it. Well come to find out he was born there but he only lived there til he was about 6 or 7, then he moved to the Suburbs of New Jersey before moving here to Utah. He used act like he was all hard and stuff, like he had been on the streets of New York his whole life, when he had lived just as much of his life in Utah and rich suburbs of Jersey. But yeah I don't know it was just lame he lied, even if part of it was the truth, I could go off for days about this kid, nice kid, just lots of problems.[/color][/size]

I think of those Chinese people that are always taking pictures of everything. (lol) I also think of Broadway and the high rise buildings and lights at night. It's amazing to just keep looking up at night because you feel so weird. I can't explain the feeling (it's a good feeling) that's what I think of when I think of New York City.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Well, I know that a lot of foreign people think of New York as in [B]New York City[/B]. When I stayed with my host family in Japan, I had a map of New York with me just in case I had to show them where I lived. When I showed my host mother that I lived in Upstate New York, she was so astounded and told me that she and all of her friends thought I was from New York City. I had to explain to her that I lived more toward Niagara Falls, and even then she still didn't believe me.

While at the airport in Detroit on the way there, several delegates and I were asked by foreigners [I believe Koreans and 'Indians'] if we were from New York City as well.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I think of hamburgers, diversity, and LOTS of candy shops! Yay! Home Sweet Home! But I also think of school and that's not fun, but thewn I think of serendipity which is a GREAT restaurant especially if you deserts with LOTS of chocolate. Being a New Yorker is cool, I just love the city. :catgirl:

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkOrchid]My family. I have some who live in the Bronx and Spanish Harlem. Then comes CSI:NY. I like Miami better because it has a warmer feel to it.

Anyways, whenever I think about New York, like most people I think about NYC. I've been told that there's huge subway rats, and the subways are dirty. Also, I think about rude people! My cousin was kinda rude when she came to visit my family.

Oh and the Hamptons. Who could forget about the rich people.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=tahoma]Well since I'm from New York, I think of hometown pride for one. I love living here in Brooklyn (which in case people have yet to figure out, is what the BK in my name stands for). I'm mere minutes away from the attractions of the city such as broadway, the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art), Madison Square Garden, the countless culturally diverse restaraunts, the famous comedy clubs, Shea Stadium (this'll only be understood as why it's important to other Mets fans, heh), Statue of Liberty, etc etc. NYC really has an endless amount of offerings for it's inhabitants and visitors of all types.

I know somebody earlier in this thread expressed dismay over NYC being referred to as the best city in the world, but it deserves to be in the running of that claim at the absolute least. I won't claim that it IS the best since there are so many others I want to see...but out of the United States I can only imagine calling here home, despite wanting to travel to various places.

I have been to the upstate (known to us in the boroughs as "upstate" since we are south NY) areas and enjoy the suburban-like areas to an extent, but i guess I'm primarily a city boy. Though when i think of peaceful living i tend to edge toward a japanese prefecture surrounded by trees and water...just about the polar opposite of NYC, lol.

I have to say though, I'm impressed with a lot of people who have posted in this thread...i haven't heard a lot of the popular misconceptions of New York. Most people out of NY i know of are slightly afraid of it or think it's some kind of haven for criminal activity and violence. The boroughs themselves (dunno about the other regions) have improved greatly in most respects, but i guess to be able to live comfortably enough with the atmosphere here you have to be raised here from the beggining. [/font]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]
I have been to the upstate (known to us in the boroughs as "upstate" since we are south NY). [/font][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=Lucida calligraphy]Well, I'm from Rochester NY, my brother calls it Roc City... I have no clue as to why. Anyways, we in Western, Central and Upstate New York refer to you guys as Down State so don't worry.

Actually people in Western New York refer to anything East of the Hudson as down state. If you don't live in New York you really may not understand. It's just that since the Hudson pretty much defines how far some of the Congress men and women from New York go when they go 'upstate'. Come to think of it that could be why I like Hilary Clinton so much. She's not only gone to Syracuse and Rochester... she's gone all the way west to Buffalo!

I think of accents when I think of New York city. I used to work with a guy who was born in the Bronx then moved to Brooklyn and moved up here when he was fourteen. He still has a really strong accent. But then I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn Coney Island and she doesn't have an accent at all. And finally I have a friend from Troy who tawks like a true New Yawker. What really gets me is that everyone not from New York expects everyone from New York state to sound like Rosie O'Donnell. For example, my friend in Oregon put me on the phone with his brother once and it took me twenty minutes to convince him I'm from New York because I don't have 'the New Yawk accent'

Another thing that a lot of people should think of when they think of New York City is the Subway Series and the major rivalry between the Mets and Yankees Fans. Trust me it can get down right brutal. Which reminds me: BKStyles, I have to kick your butt soley on the fact that you mentioned Shea Stadium but forgot about 'The House that Ruth Built ' AKA Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. :mad: [/color][/font]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
Plenty of people are proud of where they live, and say so vocally, New York doesn't have to be singled out man.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Georgia]Yeah bro don?t playa hate congratulate. :animesmil

Anyway the first thing I really think of is hobos, Indian taxi drivers and said taxi drivers not stopping for black people late at night :animecry: . I also think of there funny accents and pizza :animeswea . I cant wait to go to new york one day. I hope I don?t get robbed??. :animesigh[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=only1specialed][COLOR=DarkRed]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Georgia]Yeah bro don?t playa hate congratulate. :animesmil

Anyway the first thing I really think of is hobos, Indian taxi drivers and said taxi drivers not stopping for black people late at night :animecry: . I also think of there funny accents and pizza :animeswea . I cant wait to go to new york one day. I hope I don?t get robbed??. :animesigh[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Yeah... if you want to go to New York and not get robbed I suggest the Adirondacks which are really pretty or any small picturesque town in the eastern part of the state. Maybe even the Thousand Islands. Okay so I honestly have no idea what New York City is like, but I can say this:

Stay the hell away from Rochester. Last year our homicide rate beat out New York City. Heck, I'm planning on moving after I complete my job training. Troy here I come!Or maybe Syracuse since it's right between Troy and Rochester.[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Mostly when I think of New York, I think of the City, and when I think of the City, I invariably think of that episode of the Simpsons where they all go to New York to get Homer's car back. Other than that all the touristy things come to mind, Empire State, Statue of Liberty, all that stuff, oh and those baseball caps, can't forget those.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hey, here I am modding a thread about New York and [i]Englishman in New York[/i'] by The Police pops up on my mp3 player random playlist. Funny thing, coincidence, isn't it?[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Weird, I just started humming that song as I was reading the thread as well.[/SIZE]

I am in Lake George, NY right now as I type this and I definitely have a new image to think about when someone mentioned New York. It is absolutely gorgeous here. The mountains, the beautiful fall colors...the lake. It's really beautiful and so completely different than NYC.

I went into a little gift shop and the clerk had the New Yawk accent. Which happens to be the very first person I've come in contact with who actually spoke that way. lol

Oh and CHW, you are the hawtness, it's a fact so there was no need for me to state it. ;)