OtakuBoards

Mafia [The Underground]

Ellerby

[FONT=Arial]Oh good, people are finally posting. I did wonder.... Everybody got tied up with Thanksgiving, I suppose. Ah, well. :animesigh

Right, then. I've had a few thoughts on this, but to share them all would be lengthyand tiresome, so I shall spare you. Still, I do have this:

What if this was a random murder? From where [I]I[/I] stand, this could either be the result of inexperienced Mafia or a veteran player wishing to appear like a greenhorn. The former includes too many people, but the latter tends to make one look at [COLOR=DarkRed]Boo[/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkRed]John[/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkRed]Katana[/COLOR], and maybe [COLOR=DarkRed]Sakura[/COLOR]. And myself, naturally, but incriminating myself would not be in my best interests no matter [I]who[/I] I'm playing, so I'll just state [I]that[/I] point for formality's sake and drop it. I lean towards [COLOR=DarkRed]Boo[/COLOR] currently, since he seems to be somewhat vague in his statement(s) above.

I still have my eye on [COLOR=DarkRed]Tekkaman[/COLOR] and [COLOR=DarkRed]MistressRoxie[/COLOR], though. And [COLOR=DarkRed]Ikillion[/COLOR], but only because he posts in yellow, hasn't said anything, and generally makes the hair on my wrist crawl.[/FONT]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Purple]Hmm, all the posts so far have been good, with substantial proof and reason behind them.

I don't really have any thoughts right now, though the arguments against Tekkaman are strong enough for me to start suspecting him.

I'm just randomly throwing this out, but what about thinking of perhaps Aaryanna_Mom?

She's new to the game and seems quite innocent and friendly to all, putting up good points against others as suspects. No one would suspect her so she'd be the perfect culprit.

I dunno, but I am starting to think it may be Tekkaman or Aaryanna_Mom.[/COLOR]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]So - lemme get this straight?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I defend myself in a very substantial post and people still think that i'm the killer?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I hate to say this but all of you who think it's me will die in this game - not by my hand either.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Trust me folks, if I was the killer, i'd problably wouldn't have posted at all; or if I was the killer, I would've backed up someone's accusation. I did the beginning finger pointing to flesh out the criminal and all I get is finger pointing back in my direction. Even more so, the killer - the [u]real[/u] killer - is pointing his/her finger at me right alongside you all.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]So, before I end my post, i'd just like to simply leave you all with a little quote that I invented myself:[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=indigo]Figuring out deception takes 80% conception and 20% perception.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Go to [/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm"][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=indigo]www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm[/color][/size][/font][/url][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray] to understand what I said if you don't understand.[/color][/size][/font]

[FONT=Arial]Hmm, boy, you're making me wonder. The more vehemently you defend yourself, the more suspicious you begin to look. Besides, defense isn't exactly necessary until later. You're not first on my list, but you're rapidly climbing.

Oh, and in regard to [COLOR=DarkRed]Sakura[/COLOR]'s point: yeah, and she's worth looking at, but we'll know more later. (The opening few moves are the most difficult to read.)[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Tekkaman][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I defend myself in a very substantial post and people still think that i'm the killer?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I hate to say this but all of you who think it's me will die in this game - not by my hand either.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE] Yeah. When you say things like that, that's where your substantial defense falls apart, homes.

And I think you're taking this a little too personally lol. This is the first round, and we all know that we don't have much to go on. But even if you're not the killer--and I'm not saying you are, because simple probability would suggest you're not--then you should still go back through your posts objectively, and you'll see where you seem to have made a mark of yourself.

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray][color=indigo]John[/color], i'm not taking this personally, believe me; this is all a game right?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Now - everyone seems to think i'm the killer the more I try to defend myself, right?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]So what would everyone think if I said I [u]was[/u] the killer?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Would you all believe me then?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Sure, I killed [color=indigo]Delta[/color]; that's what everyone thinks anyway. So if my death proves otherwise - then so be it.[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Sakura][COLOR=Purple]I'm just randomly throwing this out, but what about thinking of perhaps Aaryanna_Mom?

She's new to the game and seems quite innocent and friendly to all, putting up good points against others as suspects. No one would suspect her so she'd be the perfect culprit.

I dunno, but I am starting to think it may be Tekkaman or Aaryanna_Mom.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Fair enough since in all honesty each and everyone of us are suspects. And being new means my personality is less known and I have fewer posts that could incriminate me as well. So it would put me in the position of one who wouldn?t be suspected.

And even if I were to declare that I?m a townsperson and cannot lie, the mafia, detective and priest can so I could easily be one of them as they are allowed to lie.

I have no defense for that other than what I have just said. I could declare it wasn?t me from the standpoint of knowing it is not, but again that reasoning falls apart due to my possibility of being one of those who can lie.

Tekkaman?s posts do give a slant that would seem to make them the most likely candidate, but at the same time the killer could be the calm, reasonable friendly one just as you have stated.

Which sort of puts me back at square one of wondering if Tekkaman is perhaps too obvious. Only time will tell.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Whee! I'm so happy to see that everyone is talking so much. There are a few things that I would like to point out aswell, but alas, I cannot. :(

Anyway, it's now time for the Court. The [b]first three people[/b] to PM me with their accusation (just a name in the PM will do fine, you can write the actual accusation later) will get theirs in.

Once I've recieved the first three names, I'll post here again and the first person that PMed me will post their accusation in the Town. After that, you guys have [b]one day[/b] to add onto their accusation, or defend their accusation and then finally, when I PM the person being accused, they will get a chance to defend themselves. After their post, nobody may post. We will take some time to vote Guilty or Innocent, and if the person accused is found guilty, the town will hang them and go to sleep. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma] We will take some time to vote Guilty or Innocent, and if the person is found innocent, the town will hang them and go to sleep. :)[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Is that a typo? The part where "if the person is found innocent, the town will hang them and go to sleep." Sorry, but you've lost me, are you saying the person who accused them will be hanged instead of the accused since the they were found to be innocent? Sorry to be a bother, but you've lost me. :animeswea

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Is that a typo? The part where "if the person is found innocent, the town will hang them and go to sleep." Sorry, but you've lost me, are you saying the person who accused them will be hanged instead of the accused since the they were found to be innocent? Sorry to be a bother, but you've lost me. :animeswea[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Oh, whoops. Hehe. "If the person is found [color=red]guilty[/color] the town will hang them.." Sorry about that.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#696969][QUOTE=White] [/color]
[color=#696969][color=#696969]...and then finally, when I PM the person being accused, they will get a chance to defend themselves. After their post, nobody may post. We will take some time to vote Guilty or Innocent, and if the person accused is found guilty, the town will hang them and go to sleep.[/color]
[/QUOTE][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Why do I get the feeling that i'm the first 'unlucky bastard' to get the rope? :animeswea[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=#808080]Speaking of which - [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=#808080]If I do - in fact - get hung on my 22nd birthday tomorrow, i'm going to be really upset. :animesmil [/color][/size][/font]

[/color]

[color=#9933ff]Am I the only one who isn't convinced that Tekkaman did it? I am sincerely grateful for everyone's continued support for me, for a while I was rather alarmed at the prospect that people would think I did it. As I've said before, Delta is someone I respect and I'm rather shocked that she would be the first to go. =(

My one question for Tekkaman is this: Why did you post first, and why did you pick me? Answer honestly and truthfully and hopefully it will help make sense of some of this.[/color]

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]Am I the only one who isn't convinced that Tekkaman did it? I am sincerely grateful for everyone's continued support for me, for a while I was rather alarmed at the prospect that people would think I did it. As I've said before, Delta is someone I respect and I'm rather shocked that she would be the first to go. =(

My one question for Tekkaman is this: Why did you post first, and why did you pick me? Answer honestly and truthfully and hopefully it will help make sense of some of this.[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Slow down there! Let's keep the questions for when Tekkaman is being accused. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Anyway, it's now time for the Court. The [b]first three people[/b] to PM me with their accusation (just a name in the PM will do fine, you can write the actual accusation later) will get theirs in.

Once I've recieved the first three names, I'll post here again and the first person that PMed me will post their accusation in the Town. After that, you guys have [b]one day[/b] to add onto their accusation, or defend their accusation and then finally, when I PM the person being accused, they will get a chance to defend themselves. After their post, nobody may post. We will take some time to vote Guilty or Innocent, and if the person accused is found guilty, the town will hang them and go to sleep. :)[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]So then, we are only going to be accusing one person for all of this? In that case, if the priest gets lucky and protects the Mafia's target and if the townspeople votes innocent, it is entirely possible that no one will die in a particular round? Wow. This could get rather interesting.

Oh, and [COLOR=DarkRed]T-Man[/COLOR], if you really want to stay alive, it might be a great idea to just lay back for a while. Think of it this way: if you're trying to dig yourself out of a hole, chances are you'll just dig yourself in deeper. Now granted, your bit with [COLOR=DarkRed]MistressRoxie[/COLOR] may have been an admirable ploy, but why not stick to your story? Or why not try to make allies over the PM system? I'm only saying this because I fell dismally left out of the whole circle thing here, and I know none of you well enough to gauge whether or not I can trust you. I would love to stick up for the fall guy, but I can't be sure who that is yet.

Right then. Back to my investigation.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial']So then, we are only going to be accusing one person for all of this? In that case, if the priest gets lucky and protects the Mafia's target and if the townspeople votes innocent, it is entirely possible that no one will die in a particular round? Wow. This could get rather interesting.[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]The Priests blessing only lasts for the night. And there are three accusations in total, we just do one at a time. If the first person is found innocent, we continue to the next person.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for one more accusation. :/[/FONT][/COLOR]

Give us some info on how the accusations are supposed to go down in the Town. Do we just throw 'em out there, and the first three accusations are the official ones for that round, or what? How will we resolve which player to execute? Things like that.

I'm a bit confused as to what we are supposed to be doing as well. Do all three accusations need to be up before we discuss among ourselves who we think it is? In all honesty I'm completely clueless as to what I'm suppose to be doing at this point.

I understand the general premises of the game, but I don't understand what the structure or approach should be when it comes down to it. :animeswea

[quote name='John']Give us some info on how the accusations are supposed to go down in the Town. Do we just throw 'em out there, and the first three accusations are the official ones for that round, or what? How will we resolve which player to execute? Things like that.[/quote]

[quote=White][color=dimgray][font=tahoma]Anyway, it's now time for the Court. The first three people to PM me with their accusation (just a name in the PM will do fine, you can write the actual accusation later) will get theirs in.

Once I've received the first three names, I'll post here again and the first person that PMed me will post their accusation in the Town. After that, you guys have one day to add onto their accusation, or defend their accusation and then finally, when I PM the person being accused, they will get a chance to defend themselves.[/color][/font][/quote]

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Do all three accusations need to be up before we discuss among ourselves who we think it is? In all honesty I'm completely clueless as to what I'm suppose to be doing at this point.[/quote]

[quote name='White][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]After that, you guys have one day to add onto their accusation, or defend their accusation and then finally, when I PM the person being accused, they will get a chance to defend themselves.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]So. When I PM Boo, he'll make his defending post. Until then you guys can add onto the accusation that Tekkaman made (I PMed him telling him he could post it). Once Boo has posted, you'll all PM me a vote with Guilty or Innocent written inside. If Boo is not found guilty by the majority of the people, we will move onto the next accusation. :)[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][center][b][size=4]And now for something completely different...[/size][/b][/center]

Time for a twist! With voting going on, things are getting a little intense between the townsfolk. Who's guilty? Who the heck is the priest around here? What's the detective been doing? With such questions floating around, sometimes it is good to get an outside opinion.

Which is why I'm allowing [b]two[/b] people that are [i]not[/i] participating in Mafia to submit to me a vote. The first two members to PM me with Innocent or Guilty will have their votes counted. They will also get the chance to participate in a special role later in the game.

Whoo! Something to look forward too. ;)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Don't be so ignorant. You just posted a bunch of paragraphs with the same whining about the same **** over and over again. That I agreed with Aaryanna_Mom. I didn't need to provide a whole lot of extra paragraphs, because her arguments made sense. There is no sense in copying her post because I think about it the same.

And I did not say you are the murderer because you don't have many arguments. I'm saying that it looks more like you are trying to pin the blame off on someone else.

There was no need to defend against your attack, because there were no arguments apart from "zOMG HE AGRED WID SUM1". Don't give me that **** about not suplying enough paragraphs of text, because if they're full of bullcrap anyway, you might as well shut up.

It's a game, but now you're just pissing me off.[/size]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Easy now, [color=indigo]Boo[/color], no need to get heated over the situation. I had no idea that what I said touched a nerve, rattling you so easily. I know now that law isn't for you; You would problably try and kill the opposing party if they made you mad like I did you.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I had no idea you were so touchy; I thought you had a thicker hide. I see I was wrong. [color=indigo]*Shruggs*[/color][/color][/size][/font]

[FONT=Arial]Hey, at least there's interaction now, which is more than could be said before.

[COLOR=DarkRed]White[/COLOR]'s right, of course, but we seriously need to start talking openly with each other. I'll explain myself later when I have the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[CENTER][B][U][I]Much Later[/I][/U][/B][/CENTER]

I would like to start by clarifying myself to Aaryanna_Mom, since what I am going to say later will extend from something I've already said. First, I was not asserting that [COLOR=DarkRed]Boo[/COLOR] had some sort of deep-rooted grudge against [COLOR=DarkRed]Delta[/COLOR], merely that he might have felt a little irked at first having a terrible time in her tournament and then [I]losing[/I] to her later because crud happened. Not enough to say [B]"I HATE YOU 4EVER!!!1!"[/B], but enough to say [B]"Well, let's just knock little old you out of the event before you've even gotten involved."[/B] *evil laughter, followed by a geeky snicker* You know, just for the 'so there'-ness. Also, [COLOR=DarkRed]Boo[/COLOR]'s first three arguments were directed at the head of the tournament, [COLOR=DarkRed]Delta[/COLOR], while his last comment was [I]referencing[/I] her. True, I included [COLOR=DarkRed]Delta[/COLOR]'s for the purpose of intrigue, but it kind of worked, and [COLOR=DarkRed]White[/COLOR]'s statement was a very nastie insinuation about [COLOR=DarkRed]Revalation[/COLOR] and [COLOR=DarkRed]Boo[/COLOR]. I am sorry for not explaining in more detail ? I thought I was going on too much.

Second: yes, survival may have been a poor choice of a word, but the point was the win/lose aspect. This event is going to have no single winner; either the Mafia kills everyone else or the Townspeople rally, root out the Mafia, and eliminate them in Court. Even if only one Mafia is left, the fact that he/she is the last one means that the Mafia did their job right.

Mafia is a team sport. If everyone already knows this then I've got no clue what you're all waiting for, but if that wasn't exactly clear at the beginning then I feel obligated as a veteran player to illucidate a little.

The basic premise is simple. The Mafia are trying to kill everyone while not dying themselves. The rest of the players are attempting to discover the Mafia and eliminate them. So simple, yet so complex.

When I see the lack of posting, I see players who are trying to 'figure out' who the Mafia could be while at the same time trying not to inadvertently incriminate themselves or make themselves a mark for the Mafia in the next round. This seems to me to be the bass-ackwards way of going about the game. Think of it this way:
[list][*]Trying to find the Mafia is hard. There are only two of them, and they could be anybody.
[*]Trying to find the [I]rest of the townspeople[/I] is, by comparison, easy. Statistically, players are more likely to be not-Mafia than they are likely to be Mafia.[/list]
So if you're trying to find the Mafia, you'll spend a great deal of time in indecisiveness, and all the while you're potential allies are being picked of one by one. Also, the Mafia could very well kill [I]you[/I] of one round, and [I]then[/I] where would you be? You wouldn't be playing Mafia anymore, that's where you'd be. And all your indecision would have been for naught.

Alternatively, if you seek out your allies, your time is much more productive, since you begin to get a good sense of who to trust, as well as who your Detective might be. And by the process of elimination you can figure out who's trying to kill you all.

But I can already hear the rebuttal. [B]"What if I make allies with the Mafia by mistake? After all, anyone could be the Mafia!"[/B] Yes, this is true, but that's where PM's and the AIM/MSN options hurt us. That is why we [I]must[/I] talk amongst ourselves in the Underground. Follow me on this.

The Mafia are in a unique position in that they have two options for playing the online game. They can either post and try to make themselves appear like ordinary innocent Townsfolk, or they can sit back and wait for events to take their course while killing unchecked each round. The problem with posting for the Mafia is that the more they say, the more likely they are to accidentally reveal themselves as the Mafia. The problem with [I]not[/I] posting is that by inaction they may reveal themselves. Now, let's look at case scenarios.

As of now, there is little to no conversation going on publically. This is fine with the Mafia, since every silent player serves to expand the pool of Mafia-Possibles. If I were the Mafia right now I wouldn't be saying anything at all, for the cover everyone is providing me with is just peachy. Sure, people might say [B]"Oh, [I]he[/I] hasn't said anything in a long time"[/B] but I could fire right back [B]"True, but neither have either of [I]those[/I] two"[/B], and no one would really get anywhere. My best friend as a member of the Mafia is the indecision and uncertainty that leads to a complacent town.

Contrariwise, if lots of people are posting I have but one logical option. Staying silent would now incriminate me ? I have to post. If I stay somewhat reticent or taciturn it still incriminates me. As the Mafia, I don't like this option as much because every successive statement I make is another statement I could screw up in, and sooner or later, no matter how excellent I am at fabrications, no matter how carefully I watch my step, I am going to slip.

Reorienting to the Townspeoples' perspective, prolific posting has now made the Mafia's job very difficult. By forcing them to speak, we force them to risk exposure, and they most certainly wish to avoid that.

But here you say [B]"There's still no garuntee I won't be killed in the next round."[/B] Also true. But here's the deal: the Mafia want to get rid of their threats. If you're sniffing around a particular player (eewww) and asking questions, and you [I]just so happen[/I] be sleeping with the fishes the next morning, the rest of the Townspersons will go [B]"Hmm. Maybe they were on to something there."[/B] You're now kind of a martyr, and your death was not in vain ? you provided your allies with that crucial bit of info that they needed to capture and lynch the killer, [I]your[/I] killer.

This brings me back to my earlier statement. Mafia is a team sport. [B]You[/B], the singular Townsperson, are not trying to win the game, at least you shouldn't be. [B]We[/B] the collective Townspersons, are trying to root out and destroy those poisonous traitors, the Mafia, and [B]You[/B] can aid that end by becoming part of that [B]We[/B]. (Uncle Sam Wants YOU! heh....) I am 94.6% certain that I am going to be capped next round just because of this epistle I've posted, but if it gets you guys active in finding your killers, then [I]Amen[/I], So Be It, I will have accomplished something. I hope. In fact, all the other times I've played Mafia I've been killed off fairly early because I am quite adept at analyzing people's actions and optical expressions (the eyes are incredibly betraying). All I have here are words, but I can analyze them just as easily, so I am still a huge threat.

@ the Mafia:
[SIZE=3][I][B]Here I Am!!! Kill Me Before I Find You Out!!![/B][/I][/SIZE]

Just in case I wasn't enough of a mark already. :(
[RIGHT] :animesigh Whatever.[/RIGHT]
So, in regard to the [I]communication[/I] bit, yeah, I've been siding with [COLOR=DarkRed]Tekkaman[/COLOR] for pretty much the entire round so far. Coupla reasons. (Yay! List Time again!)
[list][*]Some of his thoughts coincided with mine.
[*]He was one of the [I]Very Few[/I] who answered my mass-messaged greeting/query.[/list]
And most importantly:
[list][*][I]He's! Actually! Talking!!![/I][/list]
Yeah. He's talking. I'm taking a gamble on him being who he says he is [I]because he's openly, consistently saying something[/I]. Sure, we've had a few back-and-forths over the PM system ? I've also talked with [COLOR=DarkRed]Aaryanna_Mom[/COLOR] a bit, and I intend to respond to the other two who actually did me the courtesy of answering me as well. But that only provides one with tentative alliances and ammo for back-stabbing; it does [I]nothing[/I] towards general camraderie. He's spoken, he's made a few comments and statements that I've looked at, and I decided to risk it. I also risked it on Aaryanna_Mom, for I choose to believe she's innocent as well. Yeah, I could be very, very wrong. But I'm not going to get anywhere sitting on my duff and waiting for my enemies to wave at me, saying [B]"Here I am! I'm the Mafia! Hello! Try me! Convict Me!"[/B] like your mother joked to you when you couldn't find a sock. (Which, in that case, would be "Here I am, I'm a sock....) It just ain't gonna happen.

[U]Upshot:[/U] Let's play the game, people. Let's flush out the Mafia and save our little village. Let's not let inaction destroy us.

-A[/FONT]