OtakuBoards

Community Events Suggestion

Aaryanna_Mom

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Ah I see that area of the boards does have quite a bit more activity so it definitely needed more assistance. Although it's probably best to stick with only one event at a time, if there were more than one moderators it would make it easier for more events to be run. I suppose it would just come down to eventually seeing if there was a need for it. If a lot of really good ideas are being submitted and the Event Master finds themselves in the position of being able to run events consecutively, and by that I mean they find that they have several events lined up ready to go, then the extra help could be a good thing.

They still would be run one at a time, but two people would help it to run more smoothly. Though in the end I suppose that would still come down to whether or not the Event Master felt that they needed the help. It would depend on the nature of the event I suppose.

All the more reason to have some form of format for members to present an idea for an event. I suppose they already could via pm, but I wonder how many members even thought to do such a thing. I know it never occurred to me. At least not until this thread came up. ^_~[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue']All the more reason to have some form of format for members to present an idea for an event. I suppose they already could via pm, but I wonder how many members even thought to do such a thing. I know it never occurred to me. At least not until this thread came up. ^_~[/COLOR][/quote]Me neither. And for that reason alone I think this is an excellent idea that with some tweaking, like others have already mentioned, would work. It never occurred to me to even think of presenting ideas for events because the thought in my mind was that it?s the event master?s job. And yet like Aaryanna_Mom pointed out in the first post. When she organized events for kids at school, by asking them what they wanted to do they got ideas that in some cases were even better than what she and the other mom?s had in mind.

Whether or not it will actually get any responses from the members is another thing, but if we don?t give it a try we?ll never know. At least once the current event is over with that is. ;)[/COLOR]

[quote name='Charles']There's not much tweaking to be done, honestly. Shy or whoever can be "Event Director" and either pass or void events and then oversee them.[/quote] Then we'd basically be stuck in a perpetual incarnation of OB Idol 2, but with no end and no winner. And frankly, that'd get pretty tiring pretty quick. Perhaps it has only to do with the person put in charge of the event, but traditional events seem to have much more magnitude than ones moderated by members. It just wouldn't be the same.

[quote name='John']Perhaps it has only to do with the person put in charge of the event, but traditional events seem to have much more magnitude than ones moderated by members. It just wouldn't be the same.[/quote]

There's that pedestal I was talking about again. Remember that Event Master isn't a god-like status, the one holding it is just a human being like the rest of us. One person can only do so much...

Seriously,if you want weight on the word [I]community[/I] in Community Events, it means the community has to have a lot more involvement not only by participating, but by planning and executing as well. This has proven to be working in events such as the Nifty Fifty and the Scavenger Hunt, where several members worked alongside Shy to make them better than one single person could've possibly done.

I believe the magnitude you're talking about came from that type of cooperation, not solely from Shy's authority.

We're talking about things that have already happened, here. Common members have been contributing to the events in other ways than mere participation since the beginning. Aaryanna_Mom's suggestion would just take that to a whole new level.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Sandy]There's that pedestal I was talking about again. Remember that Event Master isn't a god-like status, the one holding it is just a human being like the rest of us. One person can only do so much...

Seriously,if you want weight on the word [I]community[/I] in Community Events, it means the community has to have a lot more involvement not only by participating, but by planning and executing as well. This has proven to be working in events such as the Nifty Fifty and the Scavenger Hunt, where several members worked alongside Shy to make them better than one single person could've possibly done.

I believe the magnitude you're talking about came from that type of cooperation, not solely from Shy's authority.

We're talking about things that have already happened, here. Common members have been contributing to the events in other ways than mere participation since the beginning. Aaryanna_Mom's suggestion would just take that to a whole new level.[/QUOTE]
There's a fundamental difference between members running events and members assisting in events. While those events were greatly assisted by member, help, it was Shy's passion and drive to come up with and execute the concepts that made them what they were. Without Shy those event would've fallen apart, and that's where he gets his authority from. He's just that good.

That said, the suggestion isn't a bad one, though I sure hope we don't get inundated with carefully disguised game threads. Even now I'm starting to suspect Mafia would've worked as just a game in OL, but maybe a bit less formally. Also, no RP events. That'd be a big one, I reckon. In the new system I think the Event Director would have to be a strict mf, though, asking for more than just ideas and delving even into the realms of the Event Masters commitment, past, and record at OB. The last thing we need is the rotting corpses of dead, abandoned events stinking up the Community Events. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='John']Then we'd basically be stuck in a perpetual incarnation of OB Idol 2, but with no end and no winner. And frankly, that'd get pretty tiring pretty quick. Perhaps it has only to do with the person put in charge of the event, but traditional events seem to have much more magnitude than ones moderated by members. It just wouldn't be the same.[/quote]

The difference between members and moderators is a title.

If an event sucks, the Event Master should just have final say in not letting it pass.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Alright, I feel like I should post something here, but there is no way I'm reading x number of posts first. So here are my thoughts.

If I became Event Master, I would be a [i]progressive[/i] Event Master. The Events are for the community so I really would just love the opportunity to work with the community directly in whatever thread is created.

That is all.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/1593/wfemcopy2os4.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]If I became Event Master, I would be a [i]progressive[/i'] Event Master. The Events are for the community so I really would just love the opportunity to work with the community directly in whatever thread is created.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I think in reality White whichever of us gets the job at the end of the day is going to be a progressive Event Master. Though I have to admit, the idea that the Community Events would become a non-stop Otaku Idol is a bit disturbing, the idea of an Event Master is someone who is capable of crafting different types of events, rather than just overseeing ideas submitted by other people.

I'm not saying I'm against members being able to submit events, quite the contrary, as I had a lot of fun with the Scavenger Hunt event, but I believe that events should first and foremost be designed by the EM.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1]Though I have to admit, the idea that the Community Events would become a non-stop Otaku Idol is a bit disturbing, the idea of an Event Master is someone who is capable of crafting different types of events, rather than just overseeing ideas submitted by other people. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]Ah, but why can't the event master do both? That was the gist of my idea to begin with. That the events members come up with are in addition to what the event master has already prepared. Why should something that is supposed to include the entire community be limited by requiring its creation to rest solely on one person? [QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1']I'm not saying I'm against members being able to submit events, quite the contrary, as I had a lot of fun with the Scavenger Hunt event, but I believe that events should first and foremost be designed by the EM.[/SIZE][/quote]Why? Does being an event master somehow make them more creative than other members? Although the requirements are simpler since a member doesn?t have to create an event to report a bad post, but don?t they also help out the moderators on a regular basis as well by doing so? That?s really the whole point I?m trying to make here. Including the members in the process, or rather not excluding them from having the chance to participate. The event master is the person who oversees and runs the events and in most cases prepares them as well but I still think it?s a good idea to be more proactive about encouraging members to be a part of that process.