OtakuBoards

Paranoia and mental disorders.

Farto the Magic

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I think I'm suffering from paranoia. No one's out to get me, but I keep thinking that I flunked all of my college exams. I'm seriously freaking out. I took a test today. I did swimmingly, I know I did. But the thing is that I keep imagining tht I did horrible. And if this string of exams is less than acceptable, I'm kicked out of college. Then what will I do? This has been my thought process for the past few days. I'm always tense, can't seem to enjoy things, and have an imposing sense of dread, even though I know I did well. I'm starting to think that I'm losing my mind. During my test, I had to look at a bone and tell what it is and what its from (I was right about it being a lumbar vertebrae from a whale.) and I talked to it for fifteen minutes. I'm normally weird in the usual sense. You know, nothing too out of the ordinary, just odd. But now I'm fairly certain I'm going nuts. Aside from the talking to the inanimate object thing, I basically sat there, laughing, for ten minutes during the test...about nothing! Aside from being paranoid, I'm going mad too.

I guess, all I can do is ask for help. Does anyone know how I can stop freaking out? It would have to be a solution involving just my lonesome, as christmas break is starting and my friends are going home. Thank you for your help and for tolerating the rantings of a madman.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Arial]Oh my God you're a freak!

I'm kidding. Chillax.

It's fine to worry really. If you get kicked out of college I guess you could always be ambitious and make a career being the top janitor.

But it just sounds like your brain is just working overtime. Usually I guess it's best not to think about it. I've found that concentrating really hard on watching a movie works for me (a favourite of mine is The Fifth Element, you'll be amazed how much you can read into nothing), or vegeing out watching random television shows, or the internet or read a nice fiction book. Just anything in general that's mindless that'll get you to stop thinking about it for a moment, y'know, like getting to know your hand better.

I ought to stop now. Who am I kidding anyhow, I still haven't managed to shake the delusion that the box on my desk is forest green when I know for a fact that it's navy blue.

Worst comes to worse, drink a cup of toasty warm milk.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I think I'm suffering from paranoia. No one's out to get me, but I keep thinking that I flunked all of my college exams. I'm seriously freaking out. I took a test today. I did swimmingly, I know I did. But the thing is that I keep imagining tht I did horrible. And if this string of exams is less than acceptable, I'm kicked out of college. Then what will I do? This has been my thought process for the past few days.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]So is this something that only happens when you have something big like your tests or is it something that happens to you on a regular basis? [QUOTE=Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I'm always tense, can't seem to enjoy things, and have an imposing sense of dread, even though I know I did well. I'm starting to think that I'm losing my mind. During my test, I had to look at a bone and tell what it is and what its from (I was right about it being a lumbar vertebrae from a whale.) and I talked to it for fifteen minutes. I'm normally weird in the usual sense. You know, nothing too out of the ordinary, just odd. But now I'm fairly certain I'm going nuts. Aside from the talking to the inanimate object thing, I basically sat there, laughing, for ten minutes during the test...about nothing! Aside from being paranoid, I'm going mad too.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]Like I just asked is the tenseness only since you became stressed over the test? Or are you always tense or feeling a sense of dread over something? If not the test then something else?

I wouldn?t read too much into talking to a inanimate object, depending on what the conversation was, it?s not unsual for people to sort of talk to themselves when they are trying to remember things. Or rather appear as if they are talking to the object when they are really trying to bring the memory of what things are to the surface. [quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I guess, all I can do is ask for help. Does anyone know how I can stop freaking out? It would have to be a solution involving just my lonesome, as christmas break is starting and my friends are going home. Thank you for your help and for tolerating the rantings of a madman.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]If in the end your answer is this sort of thing only happens when I?m under a lot of pressure, like final exams then just find something relaxing to do and wait until you get the exam results. And then breathe a sigh of relief when you see that you did as well as you think you did.

If you answered I freak out all the time and this is just what I?m upset about right now, then by all means talk to a professional because at this point, none of us are qualified to truly help you.

Guest Phaedrus
I was having panic attacks, and still am to an extent. Though I've found the will within myself to rid myself of them. I'm not going to get into what they were about, due to my own reasons, but yes. The best thing you can do is approach them and objectify what's going on with you; you know, approach it as a scientist, with no prejudgment and simply just observing what is happening. By doing so, it will be easier to isolate the problem and begin working it out by yourself. More or less it involves conquering your fear and being able to diassociate yourself from the fear, but still actively experience it.

Guest NIKI12345
[QUOTE=Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I think I'm suffering from paranoia. No one's out to get me, but I keep thinking that I flunked all of my college exams. I'm seriously freaking out. I took a test today. I did swimmingly, I know I did. But the thing is that I keep imagining tht I did horrible. And if this string of exams is less than acceptable, I'm kicked out of college. Then what will I do? This has been my thought process for the past few days. I'm always tense, can't seem to enjoy things, and have an imposing sense of dread, even though I know I did well. I'm starting to think that I'm losing my mind. During my test, I had to look at a bone and tell what it is and what its from (I was right about it being a lumbar vertebrae from a whale.) and I talked to it for fifteen minutes. I'm normally weird in the usual sense. You know, nothing too out of the ordinary, just odd. But now I'm fairly certain I'm going nuts. Aside from the talking to the inanimate object thing, I basically sat there, laughing, for ten minutes during the test...about nothing! Aside from being paranoid, I'm going mad too.

I guess, all I can do is ask for help. Does anyone know how I can stop freaking out? It would have to be a solution involving just my lonesome, as christmas break is starting and my friends are going home. Thank you for your help and for tolerating the rantings of a madman.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Just calm down. Your not crazy so chill. You think you?re the only one who feels like they flunked. Well your not. All you need to do is rest. Sleep and make sure when you?re dreaming your not dreaming about the tests. If you keep it up you will become a reckless wreck? Think happy thoughts like ice cream. That makes everybody happy. You have a good chance that you did great on your test. Then maybe not?? Just joking, but really just calm down!!!

PS: Its kind of funny seeing people talking to bones and stuff :D . Well when you talk about weird I thought I was weird and so did my friends, but compared to you I sound just fine? Don?t worry when the exams are over you will be fine.

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='NIKI12345]Just calm down. Your not crazy so chill. You think you?re the only one who feels like they flunked. Well your not. All you need to do is rest. Sleep and make sure when you?re dreaming your not dreaming about the tests. If you keep it up you will become a reckless wreck? Think happy thoughts like ice cream. That makes everybody happy. You have a good chance that you did great on your test. Then maybe not?? Just joking, but really just calm down!!![/QUOTE]Telling someone to just calm down or to chill doesn?t really do the trick, unless they are just overstressing. But if they have true paranoia issues then no amount of telling yourself to just chill is going to do the trick. (and for the record, not everyone likes ice cream ;) ) Rachmaninoff?s advice here is the best so far. [QUOTE=Rachmaninoff']If you answered I freak out all the time and this is just what I?m upset about right now, then by all means talk to a professional because at this point, none of us are qualified to truly help you.[/quote]If that?s the case then he?s correct in that none of us are qualified to help. Some types of paranoia and panic attacks as Phaedrus mentioned are best handled with medication or some other type of treatment. Though learning how to conquer your fears as Phaedrus mentioned is also helpful as well, but again that path for many people is best approached with someone who is trained in helping you do just that. [/COLOR]

Well just don't assume you have a mental disorder, it just may be the stress with school and such. People who have parinoia rarely reconize what is going on with them.

Just try and relax. Test and such can make most people go nuts.

I have experience with people with mental disorders. Mental Disorders destory a persons life. Most people are closed off from society, little kids and adults.

It may be stress thats all i have to say.

Guest NIKI12345
[QUOTE=kai4]Well just don't assume you have a mental disorder, it just may be the stress with school and such. People who have parinoia rarely reconize what is going on with them.

Just try and relax. Test and such can make most people go nuts.

I have experience with people with mental disorders. Mental Disorders destory a persons life. Most people are closed off from society, little kids and adults.

It may be stress thats all i have to say.[/QUOTE]

Really that?s what I was trying to tell him. I you get metal help it might be a waste. Wait until the tests are over then you might start feeling better, but after a month or two I recommend you do get help. It might not mean your crazy, but they might help you with your stress. Just listen to me take a break and calm down. After a while if you don?t get better go get help with a person who handles these problems. Not us. All we can do is give you little advice and when I told you dream of ice cream I meant happy thoughts. Don?t tell yourself that you are crazy or you might just convince yourself that and well let me tell you this in an easy way. Once you have convinced yourself that you?re crazy your life might never be the same again because you caused your body and your brain to think that way. Really if things don?t get better get real help!!!
:animeangr

[FONT=Tahoma]I'd suggest playing less of [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55117][U]these games[/U][/URL] for starters >.>

Other than that, take notes of what's going through your mind at the time of these attacks (if you're able to do so) because that might help you analyze the situations better. Writing down thoughts that come to you [B]while not feeling paranoid[/B] could be good, too, since the major episodes could actually be several things that have accumulated and then ruptures all at once.

Ultimately, it's always best to see a professional when it comes to more serious matters of the psyche. Hopefully you can find someone who'll assist you in shedding more light onto your troubles. All the best to you =)[/FONT]

What you're describing doesn't really strike me as paranoia to begin with. It sounds more like generalized anxiety disorder, which I'm sure is being further aggravated by the stress of school. It's not really a insanely big problem, considering how many things can be done to help treat it.

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Wow, the problem went away. But at the same token, its back and worse than ever. I got the results back and, though I did alright, the school is considering suspending my registration for the next semester. The problem though, is that I did badly on one of my exams and it drug my grade down. I talked with the professor and he was willing to let me retake it. This would bring my grade to an acceptable level. I'm kind of freaking out right now because my parents were sympathetic, but didn't even try to throw in some encouragement or something and its really not helping. Just when I thought everything was going good, it went to crap. Then, when I had begun to gain control of myself, my mom came in and basically shot down most of my hope and brought all the fears to the surface again.

God, I hate this ****.

[Edit] In light of recent matters, I have been given the option of writing a letter of appeal with an 80% chance of being re-accepted.[/FONT][/COLOR]