OtakuBoards

theOtaku vs. AnimeFF / OB vs. theOtaku?

Shy

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]Well, all three sites are fundamentally linked. We share the same server, we share staff and we also share content and other things. So I'd say we're pretty close.

I view the sites as three sister sites. Each play their own unique and important role in the broader network. The network (and thus all three sites) is owned by Velegant Media LLC.

As far as what would happen to OB if something happened to theOtaku...it just depends. If theOtaku had to shut down, then that would be a massive threat to us of course (since we are all funded by Velegant). Although if it ever came to that I'm sure we could sort something out.

As far as AnimeFF...don't be concerned. There are many people out there who are sue-happy and who love to throw threats around. Ultimately if you are confident that you are doing the right thing, that isn't much of a problem.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=red]That [I]is[/I] true. Another way to look at this is as the three Magi, kind of like those from Neon Genesis: Evangelion, in the sense of us, the otakus; ourselves as a community, ourselves as fans, and ourselves as a brotherhood/sisterhood.....well, that last one, hmm, how about ourselves as a [I]family[/I]. Yeah, that sounds a little more appropriate.

As James said, theOtaku is founded by [I]Velegant[/I], so having one shut down would mean big trouble for the other two, because, that's how it works. Just rememebr, three Magi, as fans(theOtaku), as a community(OtakuBoards), and as a family(myOtaku).

Family's got to stick together :animesmil[/COLOR]

I'm not even going to START to go into the whole AnimeFF deal. It's frickin' screwed up, and I have my own opinions of it, but as Shy said [I]that's not the point of this thread[/I].

I've been around myO and OB for about 4 years now in October (WOW does time fly!) and I don't ever really remember OB and theOtaku being closely related except for a link to the OB on theOtaku homepage. What I often did (in recent times) is that I'd have my Otaku "rounds," if you will. First, I'd check myO for updates of my friends and/or comments on my own myO, then, I'd go to theOtaku to check the Anime news. (though I must admit, rarely do I ever read through the articles, just check the headlines.) and Lastly, [B]through the link on the theOtaku homepage[/B] I would come onto the OB. It worked out relatively nicely, but now, I've noticed, that theOtaku.com no longer has a link to the OB on it's main page! (if there is, please let me know, because I haven't found it.) I was mildly peeved about it, since I'd grown into this habit of going to the OB through theOtaku, but I've worked around that.

They've never been that [I]closely[/I] related (from the time that I've been here), so if OB and theOtaku were to part ways, I don't think it would really matter much. Not to me anyway.

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=goldenrod]Even though the AnimeFF ordeal wasn't the main focus of this thread when Shy started it, I still think everyone would be interested in seeing the results of that. I know I enjoyed reading about how those responsible have been caught. Even if it was for a different case of fraud. [URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/animeff_update:_crime_doesn't_pay/2441/][U]AnimeFF Update: Crime Doesn't Pay[/U][/URL] It's truly a great thing to see. [/COLOR]

[color=scarlet]oh man, that's some awful stuff. i cant believe someone would do that.

i didnt even know about theotaku.com when i signed up here. someone said this place was cool and i thought itd be fun. if it werent for tis thread i probably wouldnt ever have learned about theotaku.com LOL.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Having not been on OB or online for that matter during this time I'm just basically catching up on this whole ordeal.

First off I want to say to those who got screwed by those three jerks. I'm sorry that you guys had to suffer that kind of crap. Especially Panda and her husband, Kei, and Adam. I mean, what kind of lowlife does that to good natured people who are trying to help out with a charity?! The behavior demonstrated by those three are a perfect example why some people walk right by another person who is in need. Or why I see so many people walking by a Salvation Army bell ringer during the Christmas Season. Too many darn people are pulling scams that tug at heartstrings and its just flat out disgusting.

Secondly. I'm glad those three scumbags are being hauled off to prison. They not only messed with voice actors, but anime con goers, you guys from The Otaku and countless others too and that's not right at all. So I'm glad that those three are losing a ton of money, going to prison for quite awhile. Maybe they'll have learned something after sitting in a nice little concrete cell for a few years. And the fact that they won't be able to get a decent job because what they did is going to haunt them for the rest of their natural lives. I bet their parents are really ticked off at these three.

Thirdly, I have to agree with James on the relationship between MyO, OB, and The Otaku. Granted TheO is the parent site of OB and MyO but like any kid, OB and MyO have grown up and are going out on their own. TheO is still a popular site, I mean I remember when there wasn't any real news coverage, this was back in early '01, and now look at the site! Its been re-done to host news coverage and such. So kudos to Adam and James for what they've done thus far with all three sites.[/COLOR][/SIZE]