Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I've been here for *checks* about three and a half years. On this account, at least. I joined myO on opening day and was pretty active there until I moved with some other former myOers to the greener (i.e., not flat-out ****-brown) pastures of [color=Gray][url="http://www.vox.com/"]Vox[/url].[/color]
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
I joined a day before 9/11...with similar results to the stability of the board.

...Good God, what am I doing posting? I'm supposed to be lurking.

The number one fad on OB? Find a rival, eat him, get banned. At least, thinking back, that seems to be the fad, seeing as how many times it has happened. *shrug*

*tilts head* Am I famous or infamous? Hmm. I shall muse on that for a while.
Posted
[QUOTE=Chaos]I joined a day before 9/11...with similar results to the stability of the board.

...Good God, what am I doing posting? I'm supposed to be lurking.

The number one fad on OB? Find a rival, eat him, get banned. At least, thinking back, that seems to be the fad, seeing as how many times it has happened. *shrug*

*tilts head* Am I famous or infamous? Hmm. I shall muse on that for a while.[/QUOTE]


LOL. You know that Famous and infamous mean the exact same thing right? Kinda redundent >_>. And wow many of you have been here for a long time and I'm sure you all know each other pretty well ^_^.
Posted
[quote name='Hylian']LOL. You know that Famous and infamous mean the exact same thing right? Kinda redundent >_>. And wow many of you have been here for a long time and I'm sure you all know each other pretty well ^_^.[/quote][size=1][b]Famous:[/b] Positive - for example: Johnny Depp.
[b]Infamous:[/b] Negative - for example: [strike]George W. Bush[/strike] Osama Bin Laden.[/size]
Posted
[QUOTE=Boo][size=1][b]Famous:[/b] Positive - for example: Johnny Depp.
[b]Infamous:[/b] Negative - for example: [strike]George W. Bush[/strike] Osama Bin Laden.[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]^ correct for the most part.

Infamous is usually used to describe someone who is well known for a more shady or unfavorable feat, such as Osama Bin Laden in Boo's example or Adolf Hitler as another example. Where as famous isn't neccesarily only positive, but simply known for anything other then a generally accepted negative reason. An actor can be famous, but not neccesarily be viewed as positive in all cases, there could be a feeling of indifference even in the majority opinion, but that wouldn't change the fact that the person is famous because he is well known. That would be the difference between famous and popular (popular being a more overwhelming and consistent positive type of being well known, where as famous is [i]typically[/i] positive but not always).
[/font]
Posted
[QUOTE=Chaos]I joined a day before 9/11...with similar results to the stability of the board.

...Good God, what am I doing posting? I'm supposed to be lurking.

The number one fad on OB? Find a rival, eat him, get banned. At least, thinking back, that seems to be the fad, seeing as how many times it has happened. *shrug*

*tilts head* Am I famous or infamous? Hmm. I shall muse on that for a while.[/QUOTE][color=#9933ff]Chaos! *Glomp* Have not seen you in a while! You be missed when you lurk. >_>;

The fad you brought up makes me laugh, and unfortunately, it's true. lol.

And I think you're both famous and infamous. But if I had to absolutely pick only one, I'd go with famous. You're pretty cool. :cool: [/color]
Posted
...Famous and Infamous and be used interchangibly in any sentance >_>. Just like Flammable and InFlammible...they mean the exact same thing. People only add meaning to infamous thinking it means someone famous and bad. No. Yes, english is weird. You are supposed to use them based on the sentance structure..like who and whom. That is the only difference in the words.
Posted
[quote name='Hylian']..they mean the exact same thing.[/quote]

[color=crimson]The prefix in- in this usage means not. Infamy is literally not famous but is used to say someone is famous for negative reasons.

Inflammable is not flammable.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be cute but those two words become antonyms when the prefix in- is given to them.[/color]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Although I'm late...Welcome! Fads? Don't join them cause, well, thats what they are; fads.

Famous members? Me. I saved the OB from imploding within itself. Worship my birthday because I saved your new forum.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]The prefix in- in this usage means not. Infamy is literally not famous but is used to say someone is famous for negative reasons.

Inflammable is not flammable.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be cute but those two words become antonyms when the prefix in- is given to them.[/color][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but you are REALLY mistaken.

[url]http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/inflammable.html[/url]

[url]http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000919[/url]

"In" In the case of Inflammable is not a prefix. It is a warning. The negative of flammable is "nonflammable".

And I was wrong about infamous sorta. They both mean the same thing but infamous does have a negative meaning to it.
Posted
[quote name='Hylian']I'm sorry but you are REALLY mistaken.[/quote]

[color=crimson]Partially. When you said that about inflammable I looked it up and forgot about it, lol. Don't be sorry it was my bad.

Infamous however, having just looked it to make sure I'm not having amnesia, I was correct about regarding the prefix. :)

We can split the wrongness/rightness.[/color]
Posted
[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]Partially. When you said that about inflammable I looked it up and forgot about it, lol. Don't be sorry it was my bad.

Infamous however, having just looked it to make sure I'm not having amnesia, I was correct about regarding the prefix. :)

We can split the wrongness/rightness.[/color][/QUOTE]


Haha ok split it we will. I was thinking of Flammable/Inflammable when I saw infamous >_>. *slaps head* XD! Oh wells.

Soo...What is your favorite game series? Mine is Zelda/SSBM >_>. I also use to play DDR alot.
Posted
...aaaaaand now we're really off the rails.

Congrats everyone for not letting this thread disintegrate, but I think Hylian is well and truly introduced to OB now, so it's served its purpose.

Hylian, if you want to discuss video games, head over to Hardwired. I don't go there much but there's probably a 'favourite game' thread or something of the sort going on.

[b]Thread locked.[/b]
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...