OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy IV (DS)

Desbreko

[color=#4B0082]Okay, deep breaths, deep breaths. . . . OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!1!11!!1!1one1one :animestun

Final Fantasy IV is getting a 3D remake on the Nintendo DS in the same way that FFIII did! I'm stupidly happy about this since FFIV is my favorite in the series and I absolutely love the way they handled the FFIII remake. Even though I already own FFIV Advance I know I'm going to buy this one straight off.

N-Sider posted a [url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2745][u]news article[/u][/url] about it, which contains some screen shots. Like FFIII, they look pretty amazing for the DS. I can't wait for more info.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Nice.

I was never a great fan of FFIV myself, mostly because of the game's tendency to axe half of your party and replace them with new characters just when you got attached to them, but I'll look forward to this nonetheless. I loved the way they handled FFIII DS, so I guess I'll go ahead and expect even better from this.

Oh, and I have a friend who'll be totally ecstatic about this. IV was always one of his favourites too, bless 'im. : P[/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Personally, I'm more excited about the Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings DS game, rather than IV. Of course, both will probably be good games. I wouldn't know though, I've never played one of the turn-based Final Fantasy games, just Crystal Cronicals.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kirra][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Personally, I'm more excited about the Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings DS game, rather than IV. Of course, both will probably be good games. I wouldn't know though, I've never played one of the turn-based Final Fantasy games, just Crystal Cronicals.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[SIZE=1]Revenant Wings... I was vaguely interested in that until I saw a video clip of the new battle system in action. I understand that the producer wanted/wants to make it more 'friendly' to gamers who are new to the series, but in my eyes he's just butchered it.

:animedepr

Anyway, on-topic, if those really are in-game screens, they seem to have packed more detail into the environments than in III DS, or at least sharpened things up a little. I'm really quite impressed.[/SIZE]

[quote name='PWNED']I personally would have preferred it if Final Fantasy 6 or 5 have gotten a 3-D makeover. I kind of preferred them over 4.[/quote]

Don't let your hopes down, since it's very much possible that those two will get a similar remake as well. S-E sure loves them remakes... *rolls eyes*

I am kind of indifferent about FF IV's latest appearance. I played through the Gameboy Advance version, and started it again, but couldn't be bothered to go further than the first cave.

After FF XII, the continuous random battles and tapping one and the same button over and over again like a retard just don't cut it for me. I also don't have the nostalgy over the story and the characters that Des, for example, has. To me they are just a bag of clichés and cheesy punchlines. There's just not enough substance in either the plot or the cast for me.

I'm mildly hyped by [B]Dissidia: Final Fantasy[/B], though. It's rumored to be a fighting game with characters throughout the series, but more info about that (as well as the remake of FF IV and the international version of FF XII) will be revealed at the Square-Enix Party this weekend.

These sure are good times for a FF-fanboy... ;D

[COLOR=DarkRed]I didn't really like FF3, not only was the story boring but it had really stupid difficulty spikes, I am looking forward to FF4 being remade in the same ilk though.

If FF6 gets remade that would be awesome :D [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkred]Man, I hope this doesn't take as long to hit Europe as FFIII DS did. We only got it this month. :mad:

I read some where that it's connected in some way to the Final Fantasy franchise's 20th anniversary, which is cool, but hopefully that doesn't become its main focus point; as far as advertising and promotion goes, fine whatever, but concentrating on making a decent game should be the focus point. Nevertheless, I think it's in good hands with Matrix.[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]Wouldn't they have to tone down everything to make a DS version of FFVII? It took up three CD's, that's about 2GB.

The reason why these remakes are so cool is because it's a 3-D upgrade of a 2-D game. To make a downgrade of a game just to make it portable probably wouldn't be a good idea.

And having just bought FFVI for the GBA about half a year ago, I'm a little angry, heh. They need to warn us before they make announcements like this. Remakes in such quick sucession, ARRRGH! I probably wouldn't buy it. I'd be excited for 3-D version of V and VI, though.[/font][/size]

Well you are not alone of having FFIV as your favorite series because I as well personally put it as my favorite.
I think its a magnificent Idea to put it in 3-D form, it makes it more advance. But I also would like to see also FFVII AND FFVIII, I tend to have eye troubles ith those particular two.

• 6 months later...
Trailers, yo.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBE5VzN1Fs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBE5VzN1Fs[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvO8PNsvsDw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvO8PNsvsDw&feature=related[/URL]

And it's being voiced.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG0wyHDTaMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG0wyHDTaMY[/URL]

[color=darkred]Eh, I played Final Fantasy III DS and got bored enough to return it the next day despite its good reviews. It wasn't a bad game, it's just pretty much the same formula. I don't know how different the battle system for this game is but I heard it will be a lot bigger than FFIII's in general which should provide a larger scope for good things to happen, hopefully.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I've seen a few clips and trailers so far, thanks for linking those. It looks so awesome, I can't wait for it to be released in the US. (The Japanese release is December 20 so hopefully we'll see it by mid 2008.) It's pretty awesome that they're doing voice acting for it, though I just hope we get an option for Japanese voices with English subtitles. All the characters that I've heard so far sound great and pretty much how I've imagined them. I think it's going to add a lot to the game to have it fully voiced.

By the way, I'm loving how true the character designs have stayed to the concept art that Yoshitaka Amano made for the original game. Paladin Cecil facing off against dark knight Cecil in that trailer was badass.

FFIV's core battle system isn't terribly different from FFIII, except for the fact that FFIV uses the ATB system. So if you set it to active the monsters will actually beat on you if you sit there without doing anything. FFIV doesn't use the job system, though; instead each character has a set class. But to balance that out you get a pretty wide variety of characters joining (and leaving) your party throughout the game. In FFIV Advance you could also then choose to swap out characters for ones that had previously left the party once you get near the end of the game, which I imagine will also be in the DS remake as well. Personally, I like FFIV's class system more than FFIII's, where you're stuck with the same four characters through the entire game.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Okay, deep breaths, deep breaths. . . . OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!1!11!!1!1one1one :animestun

Final Fantasy IV is getting a 3D remake on the Nintendo DS in the same way that FFIII did! I'm stupidly happy about this since FFIV is my favorite in the series and I absolutely love the way they handled the FFIII remake. Even though I already own FFIV Advance I know I'm going to buy this one straight off.

N-Sider posted a [url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2745][u]news article[/u][/url] about it, which contains some screen shots. Like FFIII, they look pretty amazing for the DS. I can't wait for more info.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I am right there with you Des. Final Fantasy IV was the first game I got for my Super Nintendo (of course it was FFII then) when I was 12 or 13 (ouch, showing my age) and I immediately fell in love with it.

I have FFIII for my DS but i have yet to play it (I bought it at the same time as the Phantom Hourglass) and i may hold off now until after I get four and play through it again.
[/color]