OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Survivor 4: The Aces

Sandy

[size=1]This is incredibly difficult for me, since OB reform has been one of the last things on my mind. A_M is a friend of mine, and I know she has some strong ideas about the boards as well, so this won't be as simple as I would like.

I have a few ideas in my head, and will hopefully come up with something by tomorrow. Remember that the success of a thread isn't always dependent on the original post, though. I'll need my team's help to make this an interesting discussion!

-Shy[/size]

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Yay! Congrats on our first win, Matt!

Great job with the Haiku. I have no idea what Sandy's talking about, lol. ;P

Anyway, I'm kind of bummed that my match goes last because I wanted to go next, but you can't help it when your computer combusts out of nowhere, so... you know.

As for Shy, this one seems a bit difficult to start... I mean, starting a thread that represents the whole OB community? Well, glad I didn't get this one. >>

Good luck to you, Shy. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask us 'cause it's not like we have anything better to do. ;D

Btw, my Prom was great. I got to slow dance with this guy I really like. Ask Matt for the info. XP[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I just wanted you guys to know that I just posted my [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=776022#post776022]Suggestions thread[/url], and I hope everyone approves of it. This subject is very near and dear to my heart, and hopefully some genuine change can come of it.

The whole situation makes me sick, and now this is about far more than my OB Survivor challenge.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE=1]...Um. Yeah. Okay. >_>

Shy, I'd like to [i]support[/i] you but I have no idea what the thread is even about. And from all I can gather from Staff Forum discussions the member you're referring to was a pest anyway.

I understand your general argument, in that rules are heavily enforced at times but...snuh. I dunno.

Maybe I'm just not getting something.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Tahoma]I have to admit when I first saw it, i thought it was a joke. I don't know the entire situation though, but as I told Jaime I can see the bigger picture on what this complaint is supposed to address, but it's a bit of a weak argument all things considered. It would be ideal if you could enlighten us as to your real goal in putting up this thread. It can't just be addressing the issue with over-moderation based on a single member.

[b]Edit[/b]: Well, that seemed impending. Sandy if you would please explain to us if the situation has changed any since Shy's proposal thread has been locked?
[/FONT]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma]
[b]Edit[/b]: Well, that seemed impending. Sandy if you would please explain to us if the situation has changed any since Shy's proposal thread has been locked?
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

The situation hasn't changed at all. Remember that the mission I gave Shy and Kathy was quite vague in the first place.

Now we'll have to see what Kathy comes up with...

[size=1]Unfortunately the thread was closed before I could give a proper reply to anything James had said. My goal was to create a thread about overmoderation in the wake of declining activity on OB. As a former staff member I am fully aware of how inflexible they can be at times, and I made it very clear in my original post that I wasn't trying to target anyone in particular.

The whole Naps 'situation' happened that same morning without my knowledge, although I will admit that Naps had friended me on [url=http://naps.vox.com]Vox[/url] earlier that day and that is how it was brought to my attention in the first place. Naps was most certainly spamming, but by using him as an example I had hoped to inject some satire and humor into what was otherwise a very straightforward and (dare I say) dull thread. Anyone choosing to focus exclusively on Naps, and not the issues I brought up is really missing the point.

The fact that James posted repeatedly in the thread and even created a Community-wide announcement regarding the whole thing really reinforces the validity of my arguments. In that regard I consider the Suggestions thread to be a great success, I only wish I had been able to reply sooner before the thread had been closed and derailed.

A closed thread can still be a successful one.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE=1]I have to agree with you, Shy.

When I posted in here last night it was just before I replied to your thread, and contributions so far had been joking around and less than serious. However, as the thread went on (as I was reading this morning) I think good did come from it and provoked some good discussion.

As you say, an announcement over it can only be a good thing, I think. You did raise important issues I'm sure others have been thinking.

Now we wait (once again) and see what comes of this duel.

Well done, though, Shy, and good luck Kathy.[/SIZE]

[size=1]It also appears [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=776114#post776114]Jeremiah just wrote up a fine Otakupedia entry about the whole thing.[/url] Go us.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Well, guess we'll have to wait until we see what Kathy has to come up with, then.

I mean, it can't be as awesome as yours, Shy... I mean, an Otakupedia entry? We shoul already win.

;D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I have to build a miniature world.

Please excuse me while I go crumple in this dusty corner and cry.

[Even though my mouth is still open and I'm kind of 'WTF?!?!ing', I think I have a plan. >_> Muaha]

Also, Sandy, just to clarify: I don't have to have an entire stretch of world, do I? I mean, I could build up a shot into someone's house or something. I have read the article, just thought I'd check.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Ezekiel][SIZE=1]I have to build a miniature world.

Please excuse me while I go crumple in this dusty corner and cry.

[Even though my mouth is still open and I'm kind of 'WTF?!?!ing', I think I have a plan. >_> Muaha]

Also, Sandy, just to clarify: I don't have to have an entire stretch of world, do I? I mean, I could build up a shot into someone's house or something. I have read the article, just thought I'd check.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Umm... huh? Who said anything about the whole world? The article spoke of a mini-world in a [I]symbolic[/I] sense, like in paintings - it can be said that each painting is a window to another world. The actual content of the diorama can be whatever your imagination comes up with.

I honestly thought that the concept of diorama is familiar to everybody, but if you want examples of what dioramas look like, [url=http://gaygamer.net/2007/04/chocobo_tales_diorama_contest.html][U]take a look at these[/U][/url]. A diorama is practically a miniature stage of a theater.
Just remember that the theme of this challenge is "Survival".

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Wow, Sandy...a diorama. Things getting kind of complicated, huh?

Shoot, seeing this makes me even more worried about what my battle is going to be like. *shivers*

Good luck, Jamie. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask your team.

If we can help you, that is. >>[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]I still feel like there was something missing out of Shy's thread, maybe I don't have the same appreciation for trying to draw a valid point out of an overwhelming example of humor in the sense that it was presented, but i'm glad Sandy at least realized that there was a greater picture to be taken from it all. It isn't that I didn't get the point, I just knew that it wasn't straight enough or organized enough to the point to convince Sandy, it also didn't help that most people replying in the thread were making jokes and poking fun at it. You did manage to create quite a buzz with the thread though Shy plus the otakupedia entry, so as it's been said already...it wasn't a total loss. So overall good work Shy and it's a shame you couldn't follow through with it like you wanted before the thread was closed.

As for Jamie's chellenge...ehehehehehe. Lol, sorry :p. I would totally mess this challenge up so i'm realllly glad it's in your hands. Though i'm not sure if you've done something like this before, artists tend to be very versatile in their trade so I'm quite confident in you. Like Tiana said, if you need any help don't hesitate to ask (though we can't help with the actual building process).

So go, Girly Tomboy! ;). hehe.[/FONT]

[size=1]Thanks for your understanding team. I think we deserved to win, but I do see that Mom's entry was more along the lines of what Sandy was expecting from the challenge. Oh well. It certainly can't be said that I try to play it safe.

As for Zeke's challenge... my goodness. I do not envy you at all, my dear. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE=1]Thanks for clearing that up, Sandy~ I was just checking in case I didn't understand something.

I've never heard them called diorama before, but I have made a couple of these. We had to do it years ago in school; one was showing the extinction of the dinosaurs and another was a shot into an Egyptian tomb.

I think I know what I'm going to do now, especially since I've seen those examples, too.

Also, thanks everyone for the support~ If you all like, I can send my design sketches your way via PM when they're done?

As a warning: I have an exam next wednesday which I need to spend the next four days revising for, so I won't have a chance to sit down and make this until after then. However, I will be free after that so I'll crack on.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Just wanted you all to know that I'll be away for the whole day today for a Senior Trip of mine. I hope it'll be fun.

Go, Aces! :D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Done and done~

=D

I know I probably mesed up big style on appearances, but that doesn't matter, right? We're fighting giant mutant sunflowers, afterall, so I can be allowed some artistic leeway. ^_~

ILUALL.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Tahoma]I was rather hoping the more artistic feel to your diarama would win Sandy over Zeke, since the characters were made beautifully and looked like a lot of time was put into the detail perfection of each of our characters. I did like Aaryanna's though to be fair, it was rather cute. Indeed both were the shining stars of this challenge so far. Good work Zeke, no matter what anyone else says ;).

Looks like it's up to White to take us to victory to keep us in there for the last round. I have to admit, i'm feeling pretty good about this one as well since it involves something I know from experience White works rather well with. So go grab us another victory already, :p.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I really liked your project, Jamie. Better than what I could ever do. ;P

Even if you didn't win it for us, you did a fantastic job, my dear. It's so cute... you did everyone perfectly. Especially the colour of my skin!! I'm so proud of that one. XD

Sorry I've been away, you guys. I GRADUATED!! FINALLY!!! :DD Now I don't have to deal with all that high school crap anymore and go through what you all already are going through... College, lol. Wish me luck. ><

White, win this for us, Pimp Daday. We need you. ;]

Btw...

[SIZE=4][CENTER][B]WHERE ARE YOU, WHITE?!?!! D<[/B][/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]Lol, White that's as good as we can expect from a canadian white boy ;). Hehe, j/k. I say whenever you're ready to put it up go ahead, unless you want feedback from everyone. In which case I implore everyone to give their opinions and let MC Whiteboy know if he wrote up a winner or not.[/FONT]

[quote name='BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma']In which case I implore everyone to give their opinions and let MC Whiteboy know if he wrote up a winner or not.[/FONT][/quote]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]
Ahaha, that was a great joke..

MC Whiteboy... ahaha...yeah...

Let's keep lame puns to a minimum, shall we? I think it would do us all good. ^-^

Lol. Anyway, yeah, I don't really think that there's any need to have anything changed unless others really want him to. Stephen showed his rap to me last night on AIM, and to tell you the truth... I'm really impressed.

I mean, I can't make a rap that great because, well... I hate rap, actually. But, this one was really good and I really liked it. n.n

So, unless you want to wait to hear what the others say, have a go and post it. Or just wait until The World-Destroying Plants post their's first.

Isn't that what we always do? XD[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]WIN WIN WIN WIN

That was awesome. I sung it aloud and ended up lol'ing at many parts. Well done, White, if that doesn't win Rach will have thought up something pretty immense.

(I vote Fatman Scoop to sing it for us >>)[/SIZE]