OtakuBoards

What Annoys You About Retail?

Guest Kietaro40K

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Lime"]My post is pretty short compared to others.
But anyways, I was at a small store a couple or so weeks ago. The store sold books (I think), and I was looking thier products. So I grabbed a product and I asked the cashier what the price of the product was. Then after she told me I replied "Oh nevermind then." and as I was walking I heard her say under her breath was "Jerk..". That realy pissed me off, talk about friendly service.. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Green"]In one word...EVERYTHING!!!!! I have one job in sales and let me tell you I HATE IT!!!!! Until you have a job in retail or sales you really can't truly understand just how many stupid people there are out there. Some people are just overly obnoxious and I wish I could punch them or put them in their place. If there is anyone who actually likes retail and sales GOOD LUCK to you![/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='strwpoptart'][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Green"]In one word...EVERYTHING!!!!! I have one job in sales and let me tell you I HATE IT!!!!! Until you have a job in retail or sales you really can't truly understand just how many stupid people there are out there. Some people are just overly obnoxious and I wish I could punch them or put them in their place. If there is anyone who actually likes retail and sales GOOD LUCK to you![/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, I love my job in sales. I work with a great bunch of people and we are constantly joking around with each other and doing stupid things while on the clock. Ever surfed on a shopping cart? Try five of them hooked together and steering them to avoid cars, that is fun. Or wrestling in the break room with a 240 pound co-worker after you just punched out for the day. And actually winning.

You find the things that make your job fun for you. For us, it's being idiots, but not in front of the customer. I've never had a cross word with any customer and if I do say anything, it's after they are well out of earshot and it's only if I'm really pissed off...but that hardly ever happens. People will be people and do stupid things, like call you an idiot or ask to speak with your manager. That's life

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, I love my job in sales. I work with a great bunch of people and we are constantly joking around with each other and doing stupid things while on the clock. Ever surfed on a shopping cart? Try five of them hooked together and steering them to avoid cars, that is fun. Or wrestling in the break room with a 240 pound co-worker after you just punched out for the day. And actually winning.

You find the things that make your job fun for you. For us, it's being idiots, but not in front of the customer. I've never had a cross word with any customer and if I do say anything, it's after they are well out of earshot and it's only if I'm really pissed off...but that hardly ever happens. People will be people and do stupid things, like call you an idiot or ask to speak with your manager. That's life[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you there. The only thing that keeps me sane at work are the other employees who have to put up with the same crap I do. It's perfectly normal at my store to prank and be pranked by each other.

[SIZE="1"]My only real annoyance about retail is when you walk into a shop and just look around, someone will always come up to you and ask if they can help you and they hover conspicuously for the next five minutes while you browse. Alternatively when you actually go in with the intention of buying something, there's not a single person around to give you some help in getting what you need, generally I've found this to occur shopping for electronic equipment. Just one of those Murphy's Laws situations I guess.

Having working in retail for a while, I know what it feels like to have to deal with ****** mooded customers, which is why I generally attempt to make transactions as pleasant as possible. The worst thing I found was working back in the stock room, when I had to occasionally go and fetch something from the shop, people would stop you and ask where X was and if you didn't know, you were apparently an ******* and explaining that you did not work in the main shop did not help.

Is using cheques still common in the States ? Most people over this side of the Atlantic use debit and credit cards way more often, less hassle, fire in the card and a PIN code and you're off in a few seconds.[/SIZE]

I don't like it when people behind the counter stand there and don't serve you, and you carry on waiting and they even look at you, then someone they know comes over and they start talking. That's a bit annoying. Other than that, nothing wrong with it. I don't work in retail or anything so I don't get any horrid customers.

I did work at an ice rink once, and an old, aggressive-looking man and his 20-something daughter came to the skate hire counter. I asked what size they wanted and everything, did all that. And then I started to walk off, when I heard "OI!" and I turned round to see this old man right close to the counter looking really angry at me and then he started swearing, "It's ****ing Christmas, don't be so ****ing rude!"

Turned out that his daughter had asked for wristguards; I just hadn't heard. I told him that and he swore some more. I threw the wristguard in the air and walked off in between the shelves lol.

Some people... :animesigh

Ok I bet what I'm about to write hasn't already been said. In fact this incident happened today when I went to Village-X (a store that sells band shirts)

I walked into the store with my friend and right away upon seeing me,one of guys that works there starts to laugh. Ok I should probably explain why he started. I was wearing these funky flowered tighst,a black and white shirt,a jean skirt,boots and cat ears (yes cat ears) I walked right past him and then asked said sales guy about a band shirt and even made a purchase!

I'm sorry but I thought it was incredibly rude to laugh right in front of me. Someone else would have turned around and said "**** you" and left!

That is one case where I believe a sales person should get cursed out.

[COLOR="Indigo"]What annoys me about retail? People. Rude people. And that applies to both the employees and the customers. It's not the end of the world if the shelves are understocked or unorganized, or if the lines are long since there aren't enough employees to handle the flow.

What I really despise is people taking things that aren't much of an issue and blowing them way out of portion. A good example would be when I went with my friend to the pet store the other day. We had a customer in front of us who was arguing with the cashier over the price of a cardboard cat carrier box. It was six dollars and she was having a cow over it being to expensive.

And yet this same customer was driving an expensive huge gas guzzling Suburban. My whole thought was along the lines of you're complaining over six buck for a silly cat carrier and yet you're okay with forking out the money for gas? And she was wearing expensive clothing to boot.

So yeah, that's my beef, people who are idiots whether they are a customer or an employee. It's like being polite is beyond them. [/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
Hmmm....put in my two weeks notice for August 11th, after discovering just how disfunctional and a bully my top boss was...I just was not going to subject myself to that. I mean, gosh, the guy didn't even acknowledge that I was leaving--how screwed is that.

Anyhow, the last two days I worked, I don't know what was going on with the customers. I worked for OfficeMax, in the copy center, and both on Friday and Saturday, my last two days, I had at least two people each day start yelling at me. One because I was asking her what she wanted for her business cards, another because I couldn't print his stuff immediately and how dare I make him wait, and another because I told him it would cost him a lot if I had to do desktop publishing for his business cards--and that I couldn't use even a magazine image without seeing the original magazine, because 99.9% of magazines and photographers copyright their ads and images.

Now, keep in mind, these were people I did not argue back with and if I am at fault, I admit it and apologize, which often smooths things over for a customer. If that doesn't work, I just call a manger over when they start losing their tempers cause I don't wanna deal with it, period...and if they wanna make a fool out of themselves, they have my blessings.

I'm just amazed sometimes, by how customers with mistreat treat other people in the service industries....To me, it shows a real lack of class if you treat any other human in that manner, whether it's someone you want to hire or if it's the person next door.

Karin :)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Umm...

I'd have to say the people who [B]aren't[/B] me. In general. There are always waaay too many people at a single store that are not me.

Oh, and also the fact that things [B]cost money[/B].

Quite horrible.[/COLOR][/SIZE]