OtakuBoards

What Annoys You About Retail?

Guest Kietaro40K

Guest Kietaro40K
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]PLEASE, post here if you are agrivated by badly staffed stores. I consider that category anything involving :
1) Under Stocked Shelves,

2) Ignorant People at the check out line,

3) Unorganized...

pretty much post with any complaint you have about the staff at books stores, music stores, movies, any media outlet.Now that I have said my pease :animesigh [/FONT]

[indent][color=#007520][size=1]Considering this doesn't really relate to Anime (you didn't even mention anything about it in your post) I think this would be better suited for the OL. I'm also going to rename it to something a little more descriptive. ;) -r2[/size][/color][/indent]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Oh Jeebus. I worked in retail for a year at a party supply store. It was badly set-up... the bachelorette aisle was RIGHT next to the kids birthday stuff... awkward.
Anyway, yeah. So people are retarded, basically. They would come in, order their balloons, go shopping, and come to the balloon counter to check out. The registers are definitely the first things you see when you walk into the store. I had to tell at LEAST 5 people a day to go to the REGISTERS.
Ignorant people suck when it comes to shopping.

So I quit! :D[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest Copycatalyst
Well I never got it. We have a cockyx so we decided we needed to retail. I think we need to give up our monkey tails and our materialistic desires of this and that goshfrick thing and maybe you know, stop mass producing shat and instead mass produce beauty that isn't plasticine beauty? I guess in general this goes back to capitalism, and how it's a bullfrog economic system! Yippee! Anyone want to go on the wheel of torture with me? It's a great game, I hear if you get the vows right maybe you know, America and the entire world would change!

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]I guess it's a little annoying when things aren't organzed and you have a hard time finding what you're looking for. This used to be a case with some of the Suncoast anime sections and the GameStops I've seen, but I haven't seen a really bad one in a couple years. Guess they just got better at organising. It probably has something to do with the boom in those two industries.[/COLOR]

I can't speak for anyone that has posted, but unless you have actually worked retail I don't think you have much to complain about. You can't blame workers for being under trained, or underpaid or over worked.

In my experience and the experience of my friends, there are quite a few out to a retail store is extremely demanding. Perhaps not the average, but I'd have to say in general one bad person can ruin anyone's day... work or otherwise. They think because you're making 6 to 10 dollars an hour you're still expected to wait hand and foot on them. This isn't quite as bad at major chains, but it can be pretty major at smaller boutiques especially. Perhaps you aren't these people, but you have to take into account that you are not the only person this person has dealt with today.

For all I know some of these people just closed last night and opened this morning. Or they just got finished helping some ridiculous couple for two hours who didn't wind up buying a damn thing. Or some person who didn't speak English got incredibly upset at them for not understanding what in the world it was they wanted.

Most retail jobs do not properly train anyone. I know numerous people who have worked in electronics or jewelry departments with not a word from anyone else about how anything is done. Chances are the person removing your watch links or changing your watch batteries at the Jewelry department in, say, Target, has never actually been shown how to do it properly. There's an even higher chance that none of them were given the proper tools to do so and likely never will be given them.

There's also the whole "We'll change your hours when we feel like" aspect of a lot of these jobs. The constant fear of getting a write up if some ridiculously demanding person doesn't get what they want and goes to complain. The fear of people ripping you off at the cash register with tricks. Explaining to people that you can't return opened CDs just because you realized two weeks later on there's a "parental warning" sticker on it and having them throw it at you. Tons of politics from people higher up in the store threatens every thing you do at every turn. Horrible benefits, vacation and every thing that entails. The fact that when the store closes, they often have the workers stay up to FOUR hours afterwards fixing things for the next morning... none of which is factored in to their hours ahead of time (basically, forget 40 hour weeks in a lot of cases, but don't count on overtime pay). For many of the people there, this will likely be their job for the rest of their life in some regard. Thinking about that alone is insanely depressing.

So I don't know. When I go to a store and I have to wait in line longer than I like I can't exactly get that pissed off about it. Certainly there are ******** out there working, but there are ******** out there shopping too. I thank god time I think of my work situation that I don't work retail anymore.

[color=scarlet]um... nothing? shoppings never been a hasle for me. i always go in, and but what i want. i usually try to know what it is before i do. if hte people dont know anythinhg, so what?[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2][B]Have worked in retail for every one of my jobs, and have been going to school studying Graphic Arts. Okay, here's my list of answers:

1) I have absolutely no control over whether or not my manager ordered the appropriate things--if it's not on the shelf, we most likely don't have it
2) Re: the messy shelves. If the customers would put the things they don't want to buy back in the appropriate spots, there'd be a whole lot less mess. This is said by someone who has found a box of No-Doze carefully balanced on two hooks used for hair items--because the customer decided they didn't want the product
3) I can only do one thing at a time--and yes, sometimes you will have to wait while I help another customer who requested my help first

Okay, and now that I've begun working in a print center of an office supply store I have some more to add on:
1) If you want to get your item printed that same day--bring it in that morning. Don't wait an hour before closing, and expect me to print it for you. I won't do it, not when I have to be out of the store 15 minutes after we close
2) Printing is NOT fast food service. No, I can't always do your order for you right now, right then. I had other customers who didn't wait until the last moment who brought in their items that I have to finish first
3) It's not my fault that you waited to print your piece at the absolute last moment
4) If you don't like the cost, don't complain to me. Printing, especially in color, can be expensive
5) No, I can't get the business card, stamp, emboss company to rush your order
6) We are NOT a pull it off the shelf, ready made service. Our printers can only print so much at a time--and if I'm already printing a job, no I can't interrupt so you can print one black and white copy.
7) Sometimes our printers, our cutting machines, our binding machines, our lamination machines, and the other little things that we use, break down, and if I have other previous orders I have to complete, then yes, you WILL have to wait
8) Yes, I often an the ONLY employee running the copy center. If you were willing to pay more for the services and weren't always complaining about the prices, then maybe they could afford to hire more evening shift workers.
9) Yes, sometimes you have to WAIT until I can get to you
And last but not least
10) I usually skip my breaks so I can get YOUR jobs done--act like you appreciate it

And one last tip: Show some common courtesy, appreciation and patience. Trust me, you'll get better service for it.

There....I'm sure I missed something--but think I said a lot, lol.[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sara][color=#db2007]If you're polite, people will generally be polite to you. If they're not, you get to complain about them on the internet!

It's like the circle of life, or something.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I like to try and believe that. But I worked as a cashier at a grocery store and at a gas station. I was really polite to people, but I still had problems with some customers and my supervisors. (Ie Screaming, yelling, name calling and grabbing)

I think it's more of a karma thing, if you're nice to people or nasty to people sooner or later it'll come back on you.

But either way no matter what happens you can either complain or brag about your job on the web.[/color][/font]

Guest Copycatalyst
[QUOTE=Sara][color=#db2007]If you're polite, people will generally be polite to you. If they're not, you get to complain about them on the internet!

It's like the circle of life, or something.[/color][/QUOTE]

Not really. . .some people you know, just like to state things [i]as they are[/i] and not piously dress them up in fallibility. It is possible.

Also, the thread is meant to be. . .listen for it Sara. . .[i]humorous[/i]. It's meant to have much deriding. Much cackling. Laughing. You know what I mean? It's meant to be a [i]real kneeslapper[/i]. So if you don't like it you know, just don't post? Ktnksbai.

[QUOTE=Copycatalyst]Not really. . .some people you know, just like to state things [i]as they are[/i] and not piously dress them up in fallibility. It is possible.

Also, the thread is meant to be. . .listen for it Sara. . .[i]humorous[/i]. It's meant to have much deriding. Much cackling. Laughing. You know what I mean?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I mean, in my post, most of that stuff didn't happen to me at all. They're definitely things that have happened, however, that I have seen. And honestly, if they were responses to a worker who wasn't being "polite" I wouldn't have listed them in the first place.

Personally, when I worked retail I was as polite and as helpful as I possibly could be and considered each and every person as someone different. That this new person wasn't responsible for what the last ridiculous person did. Most of the time it was fine, but not every one responds very nicely to anything. They too have their own reasons as to why their days were bad and chances are it has nothing to do with you. At the same time, it's hard to work in these jobs for years and not start thinking as customers as a singular, amporphous entity and it's harder and harder to keep the things to yourself.

So I don't know, the thread asks what we "hate about retail". I don't think people should feel lame or stupid because they're responding to it in that way just because it's the Internet. From the workers perspective, bitching about these things to your boss certainly won't help, so I don't see the problem in venting them. People aren't going to talk about flowers and sunshine all of the time.

I work as a cashier at a well known store chain, Walmart. The only area of the store that I ever see is the front end, where all the cash registers are. I'll maybe pass through clothing departments on my way to the time clock. I generally don't shop in my own store, so I don't see where things are kept.

Where does this all lead?? Customers who come up to me and ask me where the most obscure items in the store are. I really HATE them. I'm labeled as a cashier. They should be able to figure out quite easily that I'm not the best person to ask. It's even worse when they wait in my line with a cart, making it longer for everyone, just so they can ask me where the *********** bobby pins are.

[color=crimson]There are some customers that are either innately unhappy or have had a bad day, there is never a universal, sunny demeanor no matter where you work. Selling clothes, selling flowers, printing things, making sandwiches, running a theme park ride. Some people will just be pricks no matter what you do.

Currently I'm not in retail, I work at a sub sandwich place. It's a step above Subway/Quiznos and a step below a really nice, expensive deli. Food service is a sister to retail. It's worse in some ways and better in others. I have a really good knack for knowing when someone is a *****, there is body language and vocal indications as to when I've got a poorly mooded person on my hands. I just try to give them service and get them out the door as soon as possible. This works for me since I'm not selling clothing, electronics or anything that requires great interaction with the customer- I'm just asking what vegetables and condiments they'd enjoy on their sub. That doesn't inspire much confrontation between the customer and I. Being nice usually gets at least a neutral response back. A smile, a how do you do and sometimes I just start a conversation that lasts throughout me making their food.

As a consumer I understand that the people I'm dealing with are generally not to blame for circumstances. They're the end of the chain of my experience in the store, not the head of it. I just hope they try to do their job as best they can and try not to be too demanding of someone since I've been on the receiving end of such behavior.

Having a nice trip to the store is partially subjective to your attitude. If you don't like shopping or have ignorantly high expectations for the store involved then you probably aren't going to enjoy your shopping.

For example I have political and economic opinions that disagree with conspicuous consumerism and wasteful dealings in Capitalism so at times when walking through a store I start to get a negative taste in my mouth. Thankfully I'm not dull in the head and I don't take it out on the people who work there, lol. They aren't at fault.

Some things are greatly affected by how you view them.[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Well, I used to visit a Circut City where I live and I was always ignored by the video game cashiers and such. I wasn't asked if they could help me, if there was anything I was looking for, or whatever. It jus aggravated me.

Now one thing that really ticks my mom off is the fact that Wal-Mart *Sorry Shaholl* has started this thing where if you write a check to them they take your check, scan it, and then hand you back the original, make you keep it, and then you sign some stupid reciept. To me that's a waste of paper and if I was going to have you do all that crap with a check I'd be better off using my debit card. I mean seriously, how stupid is that?

And that's what Grinds my Gears.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#007520][quote name='Semjaza']They think because you're making 6 to 10 dollars an hour you're still expected to wait hand and foot on them.[/quote]Thank you.

[quote]For all I know some of these people just closed last night and opened this morning.[/quote]Thank you.

[quote]There's also the whole "We'll change your hours when we feel like" aspect of a lot of these jobs. The constant fear of getting a write up if some ridiculously demanding person doesn't get what they want and goes to complain. The fear of people ripping you off at the cash register with tricks.[/quote]Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

[quote]Tons of politics from people higher up in the store threatens every thing you do at every turn.[/quote]Thank you.

[quote]The fact that when the store closes, they often have the workers stay up to FOUR hours afterwards fixing things for the next morning... none of which is factored in to their hours ahead of time (basically, forget 40 hour weeks in a lot of cases, but don't count on overtime pay).[/QUOTE]Thank you. Thank you.

I don't work in retail, I work as a server in a restaurant, and although we don't have to face all the same troubles as you, we face a lot of them, and a bunch of others. Either way, my experiences don't really qualify as hating retail, since I can sympathize with the people earning a decent buck, and I don't want to derail the thread anymore than I already have... so I'll just go to sleep so I can close tomorrow while and attend the early mandatory but unpaid meeting the day after.

Oh, one thing I hate about retail: The parking lots. I have yet to have a good experience in a mall, strip-mall, or groccery store parking lot. I have had plenty bad ones though. ...and a lot of them are designed so poorly.

-r2[/color]

Ironically what bothers me about retail really applies to the person and not necessarily the store itself. Being rude, impatient, threatening to get someone fired, etc. In many ways that can be applied both ways. Well with the exception of the firing bit I suppose.

So in the end I try to take any complaints to those who actually make the decision instead of some poor sap getting paid next to nothing to man a register or booth. Since usually my complaint is more of objecting to how the cooperation decides to do things.

Most of the time Retail stores don't bother me at all. I do have to admit though that it's painful to watch people get angry with the employees. It just makes them look stupid. Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one to realize that being polite gets you better service just about anywhere.

I suppose it's due to that employee being glad to finally deal with someone who isn't a jackass over things beyond their control. Mind you, if that employee really is a jerk, I'll get my things, head out the door and politely inform their manager later and let them decide what to do.

[quote name='Domon'][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Now one thing that really ticks my mom off is the fact that Wal-Mart *Sorry Shaholl* has started this thing where if you write a check to them they take your check, scan it, and then hand you back the original, make you keep it, and then you sign some stupid reciept. To me that's a waste of paper and if I was going to have you do all that crap with a check I'd be better off using my debit card. I mean seriously, how stupid is that?

And that's what Grinds my Gears.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Do not apologize to me about "Electronic checking." BLEAH!!! You would not believe how many people hate it, myself included. The way it was explained to the cashiers (and I had to practically beg for the information... stupid management...) is that sooner or later, checks will be completely phased out of currency, and to "acclimate" (read "annoy") our customers, we will be encouraging them to use their debit cards instead, since it comes from the same account.

I hate it... so much... *head explodes from sheer boiling rage* :animeangr

Let me add some inside advice to all you consumers since I work at a place where we get the most frickin complaints ever, a grocery store. For example....today I was getting ready to take out the trash in the store, which is standard procedure for me. We lock one of the sets of doors at 9:00 PM because it gets slow in the store and there's no point in leaving both doors open. So as I was taking out the trash in the store a customer comes up to me and asks me how to get out of the store. I apologized to him and told him that we lock our doors at 9. So he says "Well you could have *#*#R& told me that. I just walked by you like 5 mintues ago. So I apologize, again. Then he proceeds to tell me that there are fifteen employees on the floor and we only have two bleeping registers open. At that point, I wanted to strangle the man, but I just smiled and apologized for a third time. Here's my question, what did he want me to do about it? I am a frickin bagger for Pete's sake!

My point is, if you're a customer, don't be ignorant and think of how you're being inconvienced so much. Remember, the people you're yelling at are people too. The thing is, we can't yell back! So remember to take a step back and think about how we feel too. We hate the same things you do, but when we are working, we are doing our best to serve you, so a little mutual understanding would be nice.

I've worked in customer service before, as a hostess and cashier, and so I think I can relate to some things about retail. That's why I usually try to be pleasant to people I know are working those low paying jobs and I consider myself empathetic towards people in these working positions. We all deal with people, and it just makes life easier to not be an ***.

However, it just really pisses me off when even before I approach a cashier, dressing room assistant, or waiter, I get the look from them. The "I don't want to serve you" look or the "I'm not going to even look at you" look. You know those looks. What really gets me are the smart aleck remarks made while I'm being "served" or when I'm leaving, especially after I've been a curtious customer, I can't help but think it's because of my ethnicity.

I'm not expecting excellent customer service, just customer service that isn't bad or rude. I'd rather serve myself, pick up my own food, return the clothes to the rack on my own, or check myself out than deal with bad customer service.