OtakuBoards

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Dagger

Director: Akiyuki Shinbo [Negima!?, Moon Phase, Pani Poni Dash]
Studio: Shaft [all of the above]

Watch the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgVSYKPJepE][u]super stylish ED[/u][/url]
Read an [url=http://easternstandard.pbwiki.com/Sayonara+Zetsubo+Sensei][u]article[/u][/url] about the manga

While trying to hang himself, the world's most negative man meets the world's most positive girl. Oh, and it turns out that he's her new teacher. What follows is twenty minutes of hilarity.

This show hits the sweet spot. Shinbo likes playing weird visual tricks on the viewer, and as interesting as his anime are to look at, this can be a problem when he's adapting a manga story. Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, however, seems to be suited for that kind of treatment. The source material & the director's own zaniness come together perfectly. Recommended even if you're a comedy curmudgeon like me.

The main character's name looks like the kanji for zetsubou--despair--when you read it sideways. Not a good sign for someone who's already suicidal.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Have patience, man. It just aired yesterday. :p

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]T_T I don't care! I need my shinbo!!!!! Oh well, the recent hidamari subs I haven't gotten to should hold me off....

EDIT: To Dagger's below post, since I don't wanna be stuck unable to post - it's not being streamed yet![/COLOR]

It would appear that your prayers have been answered. ;)

I'm going to go watch ep. 1 again now that I have the chance to understand the stuff that whooshed clean over my head the first time around...

~Dagger~

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]EDIT: To Dagger's below post, since I don't wanna be stuck unable to post - it's not being streamed yet![/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I thought I taught you how to use bittorrent. . . .

I guess I'll bite—getting the first episode now. I do enjoy me some zany comedy, and if Dagger likes it that's always a good sign.

I just hope this doesn't push back releases of Lucky Star. :animedepr

[b]Edit:[/b]

Watched it. It definitely reminds me of Pani Poni Dash!, especially all the random stuff written on the chalkboards. The reference to [spoiler]Second Life[/spoiler] made me laugh.

The depressive and morbid atmosphere that Nozomu gives off makes for some weird humor. And those censor bubbles were kinda freaky. I think I'm going to keep watching this one.[/color]

Episode 2: Way funnier. The gags intertwine and build on each other fantastically well from beginning to end. I'd describe my favorite parts, but you really have to see it for yourself. Suffice it to say that [spoiler]Itoshiki unwittingly winning the hearts of three neurotic students (and the ensuing chain of stalkers!)[/spoiler] had me rolling. You guys might have seen hikikomori & stalker characters in other anime, but never like this.

By the way, keep an eye out for Konata...

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Sorry it took me so long, though I watched it a few days ago. The first time, I watched it pausing to read the chalkboards. The second time, I watched it with my little brother (who loved it) without stopping.

NOTE: I am biased to anything done by Shinbo. I would gladly bear his children.

Anyway, I freaking loved the first episode of this show. I'm a big fan of comedy, but I'm an especially big fan of dark comedy, especially when it's done right, and this show does it oh-so-well. The best scene by far was when Zetsubou-sensei sits down with the guidance counselor and talks about his troubles. The mere idea of him getting so upset over the baseball cap thing was simply awesome.

I love all the characters in this show (bear with me here, you know I suck at names.) Zetsubou sensei is completely awesome. What I love about him is that he's so nagative and sorrowful with no right to be - he forces himself to look at things in a negative way with no purpose for it. Meanwhile, the energetic girl has every reason there is to be depressed, but she's nothing but hopeful. I love the beautiful contrast.

Also, the OCD girl was awesome. As a person who spends plenty of time making sure my hair is parted right, I know what she's talking about XD I can already tell this is going to be, like, my favorite show evar.

Oh, and of course, the art. Freaking amazing. The use of color couldn't be better, the subtle or background jokes; the style makes moments that should be bland totally interesting. I can't wait for more![/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Well I've only seen one episode of this, since I've only found one that is fan subbed in English. Heh, but still. I can't wait for more. Not only did I love how the animation is done and the pointless conversation between Itoshiki Nozomu and Fuura Kafuka in the sense that it doesn't matter how [spoiler]negative he is, she either misses it or has an explanation for it. [/spoiler] But the whole atmosphere with the students in general is great. Like the one girl who got upset that Fuura Kafuka's socks were not lined up exactly. lol

I wasn't sure what to make of all those censor bubbles, those were weird. But still, I just died laughing at how that baseball cap was such a tragedy to Itoshiki Nozomu. I was sitting there the whole time thinking [I]what the hell?[/I] LOL!

Anyway, I'll be looking for the second episode of this since I enjoyed it. Oh and I'm sure I'm not the only one who found it ironic how the teacher had them fill out [spoiler]their despairs instead of hopes. [/spoiler][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]ZOMG best show ever after episode 2! Seriously, I havent loled this much at anything in a while.

First of all, the dynamic between Fuuka-chan and Zetsubou-sensei is hilarious. While they contrast in world views, both of them have very similar personalities and levels of intelligence, especially in that they both take thigs way too far. I love how easily she convinced him that the hikki girl was an evil creature XD

Like many comedy of this type, a lot of the humor was based on the misconceptions of the individual characters and this show does that aspect very well, IMO. The troubles with each of the three girls were enough already,[spoiler] but then they all form together for a climax of immense proportions! I get the feeling every girl in this class is going to end up after the sensei XD

Some of my favorite parts were Zetsubou-sensei's 'Travel List', the hikikomeri girl, the stalker girl showing up in an outfit similar to the teacher's and her wall of pictures, and of course all of the suicide attempt stuff.[/spoiler]

Watching this and reading [B]NHK [/B]at the same time is probably bad for my mental health XD

EDIT: Almost forgot,[B] Manabi Straight[/B], [B]Hidamari Sketch [/B]and [B]Lucky Star [/B]references = win![/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I think the thing that cracks me up the most about this is the [spoiler]Pink Supervisor nick name[/spoiler] that Fuura Kafuka gave to Itoshiki Nozomu. That and how their outlook on life is so 100% exactly the opposite.

I'd really love to see this on a full screen instead of a smaller fan subbed player since it looks like the visuals are stunning. That first episode was beautifully done, I really liked the art and presentation of the beginning, aspects of the actual show as well as the ending. I'd probably watch it just for that alone.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Dagger']Hahaha! Check out the attached screencap. I totally missed this the first time around (okay, and the second time, too). Just stare at it for a while and you'll get it...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Is that in the second episode? Hehe, I haven't seen it yet if that's the case, but what the heck? [spoiler]Who the hell is under the bed? LOL![/spoiler] Man now I really want to see the episode this is from. Unless it was the first one and I missed it somehow. [/COLOR]

You know, ever since Higurashi I've had this very strong suspicion that there was a deep and fundamental connection between "moe" and disabling psychological problems. Zetsubo Sensei is pretty much the best confirmation of this idea that I could ever have hoped for. Screw Ken Akamatsu's ridiculous attempts to make moe into some kind of abominable half-breed between maternal love and (constantly denied) lust towards the weak and helpless. Forget various attempts on "cultural commentary" kinds of sites (not naming names) that try to make it into some kind of weird Freudian thing. Moe is all about attractive girls (or otherwise) who have psycho-social disorders and/or are otherwise unable to function normally in life. How do you liven up a slice-of-life anime set in a high school? SZS answers: take all of the characters and give them a horribly disabling pathology. It works wonderfully: INSTANTLY every single character is rendered immeasurably more likeable and interesting.

Let m = moe, p = psychopathology, and f = ability to function normally in life (i.e. the character can do well in social situations, is at an age where they can take care of themselves, etc.). Moe can then be roughly defined as:

[center]m = p + 1/f[/center]
Note that psychopathology seems to have a direct relation to erotic lure (cf Black Lagoon), while life functionality has an inverse relation with cuteness (cf every clumsy girl in every anime ever). There also seems to me to be a relation between psychopathology and functionality (a less sane character usually has more problems getting around), but it's more obscure. I wonder if I could get a grant to try to study this.

Anyways, digression over. I absolutely love SZS, and I think it's probably the best show yet by SHAFT and the Akiyuki Shinbo team. It's definitely one of my favorites of the new season, in any case (a lot of the rest has been fairly dry so far, unfortunately).

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]This is off topic entirely, but [B]Fasterisk[/B], you should post more often. i could read your posts all day and probably not get bored... long as they involve anime >_>... anyway, your explanation of that is awesome. For some reason, it gives me hope for the future of moe. And makes me feel better about liking it. And reminds me how much i love crazy people. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Dagger']Hahaha! Check out the attached screencap. I totally missed this the first time around (okay, and the second time, too). Just stare at it for a while and you'll get it...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]That really makes me want to see the second episode. I've only seen the first, but seriously... Now I gotta know just who is [spoiler]under that bed![/spoiler]

That and I just love the whole dynamics between little miss positive and Mr. Despair. Those two just crack me up to no end. And I just love the visuals on this. Especially the beginning with all the blossoms. It's beautiful. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Episode 3 was just superb. It's so impressive how this show deftly turns humor into social commentary without backing itself into a set message--it satirizes everything from multiple angles and lets you decide what to make of it.

Also, the Death Note homage slew me. :catgirl:

ETA: My jaw dropped when I saw the new OP for episode 4. An instant favorite--very provocative and erotic. Itoshiki-sensei is pimpin'. Also, check out the obligatory [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=_cu6FQnFC44][u]Eva OP diddly[/u][/url].

~Dagger~

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"] Oh and I'm sure I'm not the only one who found it ironic how the teacher had them fill out [spoiler]their despairs instead of hopes. [/spoiler][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Even better was at the end when the other teacher was thinking his students had such great [spoiler]hopes since he didn't realize that Itoskiki had them list their despairs. It was ironic how he was concerned over Fuura Kafuka since her answers were so ridiculous because she actually wrote things that she couldn't hope for. lol [/spoiler]

In addition to the wonderful contrast between Itoshiki Nozomu and Fuura Kafuka, the rest of the show had some other whacked out characters. Like the girl bothered by Fuura's socks. I also found the poor councilor who was worried that [spoiler] Itoshiki Nozomu would show up more than once with his ultra despair. [/spoiler] Kind of funny, I mean seriously, how he got so upset over that cap was hilarious.

Anyway, now I just need to find a fan sub of the second episode. After all I want to see who is [spoiler]under that bed after all! [/spoiler]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Ah, good thing you brought this up, since I just got done watching ep 3 both with bro and with pauses, and I don't think I need to tell you how I feel about it, XD As you can see by my current sig and avi I am simply obsessed with this show and it is currently my favorite show. ever.

3 was wonderful in every aspect of course. What makes this show truly amazing is that when I watch each episode twice I am almost watching two different shows. One time, I am watching the most well-written dark comedy I've ever experienced, and the next I am watching the ultimate parody-comedy. The DN reference, Gurren-Lagann references, the freaking FUSION DANCE!!!! All brilliant on every level.

I cannot sing my praise high enough - I want to marry Akiyuki Shinbo XDDDD

[B]EDIT[/B]: Copied and pasted from [B]Megatokyo[/B]... with one sentence removed for being a little [i]too[/i] much for lil old OB XD

So, I hadn't realized there was an ep 4 sub, so I watched it. And... that was the greatest episode of any show ever. I don't think I've laughed that hard at an anime in a long time, nor have I been so disturbed by my own laughter since NHK.

I sound like a broken record praising this show, but I can't help it. Just watching this show is like having sex.... or at least, watching it makes me feel like I want to have sex right now >_> Let's just say it's a sexy show. ----------opening theme-------------. It seems like it's fitting lyrically and situationally.

I'd also like to loose my virginity to the closing. Or maybe I can find some kind of way to have sex with the show itself. Or I could pecome Shinbo's personal whore. Or something. [/COLOR]

The self-mockery in episode 4 was indeed delightful.

I wonder if it'll ever go deeper into Kafuka's [spoiler]KILL KILL KILL[/spoiler] issues. I would also like to mention that I'm going to have nightmares about the [spoiler]wall of tails![/spoiler] :animestun

Favorites so far: Kaere, Maria, Matoi, Harumi (gotta give props to the girl who reads One Piece doujinshi [i]in class[/i])

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][URL="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/random262.jpg"][U]Picture[/U][/URL]

[URL="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/MetalSonic700/random261.jpg"][U]Picture[/U][/URL]

Words... cannot describe... the awesome...[/COLOR][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]DB, you of all people know better than to post pictures that stretch OB's layout. Remember, use links when the pictures are that big. Thanks. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]