OtakuBoards

Are you Superstitious?

ChibiHorsewoman

[quote name='Break']When it's part of a culture it's a little harder to get rid of, lol.[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Oh yeah, I don't doubt it.

I just mean this from my own perspective. I'm sure that for others, superstition is not as simple a matter.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='James'][color=#606060]I'm not superstitious...I think all of this stuff is based on perception more than anything else.

I mean I think that if you start the day genuinely believing that you'll have bad luck...you probably will. And vice versa. You can go through horrible things in a day and end up reflecting that the day was positive overall.

It comes down to a self-fulfilling prophecy much of the time. It's amazing what a difference attitude can make.[/color][/QUOTE]I have to agree, even with cultural expectations as far as beliefs go, in the end it does come down to your own prospective.

I find it hard to understand how people end up superstitious since it just makes no sense to me at all. If I don't have some tangible evidence or rather something that can be proven scientifically presented to me, then I just don't believe in it.

Mind you there are things we don't understand, but in that case it's not a superstition that makes it real, but a process that we've yet to come to understand. The answer is there, and I'm sure we'll find it eventually. Anyway...

About the only thing superstitions are good for, in my opinion, is all those silly movies, novels and whatnot that are written based on some old wives tale. They are entertaining to watch if only to poke fun at them. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I, myself, am not superstitious. But several of my friends are, so I get flack for doing this or that. I make some of my money by finding lost stuff, and last year I started tracking a lost Black Cat. After four weeks of being told that bad stuff would happen to me if I kept searching for the cat, I finally cuaght the thing, and nothing happend.

I also make a habit of walking under latters that are tall enough for me to walk under to prove my friends wrong. But I do throw salt over my shoulder to keep them happy every now and then.

As for the whole "bad luck" thing....
[quote name='Obi-Wan Kenobi']In my expiriances, there's no such thing as luck[/quote]
Luck, to me, depends a lot on if the glass is half empty or half full. It just depends on how you look at it.[/font]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]I'm not superstitious...I think all of this stuff is based on perception more than anything else.

I mean I think that if you start the day genuinely believing that you'll have bad luck...you probably will. And vice versa. You can go through horrible things in a day and end up reflecting that the day was positive overall.

[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I believe that if you wake up and you think your going to have a good day, you have a terrible day. And if you say the day will be uber ****, usually you have a good day. Well it happens me at least. Same goes for games, believe that you won't win and you just might. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]I find it hard to understand how people end up superstitious since it just makes no sense to me at all. [B]If I don't have some tangible evidence or rather something that can be proven scientifically presented to me, then I just don't believe in it. [/B]

About the only thing superstitions are good for, in my opinion, is all those silly movies, novels and whatnot that are written based on some old wives tale. They are entertaining to watch if only to poke fun at them. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]That's exactly how I feel. In my opinion, for those phenomena that have no explanation, it's because we haven't found it yet. I believe that beyond things that are made up just to scare someone, everything else has some basis or grounds that have yet to be explained. Even if it's an old wives tale that's been distorted by centuries of retelling.

So in the end I am not superstitious at all. Though I do agree about the silly movies and all. I mean they are fun, but sometimes I wonder how my friends can take them so seriously. Those legends about such and such [[SIZE="1"]insert superstition here[/SIZE]] are just that, a story and nothing more.

I've broken mirrors, had black cats cross my path more times than I can remember, I've walked under ladders and yet nothing has ever happened. lol[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I'm not supersitious, but on Firday the 13th... last week... I was playing the drums for a play in school. We had a coffin for it and I was tired, so the stage hand told me to go to sleep on the coffin. About an hour later, the theatre ladders (which take four people to put up) crashed on my head.

I was completely out of it but I still played the drums for that night... and ended up in bed for the next week.

The guy who played Peron in the play broke his leg in school (but still went on to act).

One of the lead singers ended up ill.

Someone lost their shoes. Haha.

And basically the last performance was full of bad luck. Hooowever, we still did the play and ended up with the best performance out of all three nights. Bad luck can't even stop us!

I'm still not superitious. It's a big coincidence, is all. A [i]really[/i] big one. I didn't even know it was Friday the 13th. If people think it's an 'unlucky' day, then they're going to concentrate on every little thing that goes wrong, without knowing it. The fact that all those things properly happen each day anyway goes unnoticed, because they're concentrating on how unlucky the day is, and probably feel it's nescessary to prove that point. I don't know.

Most of my bad luck is really good luck in the end, anyway.[/SIZE]

[font=comic sans ms][color=blue]Not at all. I joke around with superstition here and there by telling people to walk back around the pole when (if) they split the pole with me. Or I would walk back around it. (Either or since it's just for kicks.) I'm an owner of a black cat, so "shrugs". If anything, she's just a pain.

Majority of my bad days just comes from little sleep, or people just pissing me off, but I think that's pretty normal.[/font][/color]

Ouch, Vicky. That really sucks.

I'm superstitious when it comes to certain things. I believe in karma, so I'm afraid if I do something terrible, it'll come back at me. Back then, I used to believe in Friday the 13th, but now I don't really.

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Hehe, even though I tend to be a chicken over scary movies and anime with torture in it. In the end I do not believe in superstition at all. I'm just a big wuss over being startled by something. :animesigh

I really believe that superstition in general is just a bunch of nonsense. Sure some things have some a real basis behind the belief, but usually it turns out to be scientific or provable in nature instead of a genuine superstition coming to life. I mean think about it, if you're under a ladder and someone drops something, gravity is going to make that object land on you. lol It's simple logic. So not walking under a ladder is just common sense. :catgirl:

I also believe what James was saying about how your own attitude and perception plays into things. The argument over whether the glass is half empty or half full if you will. It's up to you just which one it is. [/COLOR]

Guest chanteusse
I'm not a very superstitious person, but I don't think it'll hurt anyone to be superstitious. Perhaps, at least when one does not overdo it.=)

I actually think that in my culture, we mostly keep superstitions as a way of tradition -- to keep our native culture alive. Since Filipinos are very diverse in culture, a lot of different superstitions sprang up and, depending on our geographical setting, cultures and beliefs vary. Not to mention we are a bit like Hawaii, in a sense that the Philippines have been influenced by so many foreign cultures that sometimes we forget it was originally in our culture.

Just saying. ^_^

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Don't laugh but I did think of one thing I'm superstitious about...

Whenever I say something is or could happen which would be a bad or negative thing I knock on wood. But I don't feel too bad because the lady who was my lawyer for my custody case is the same way.[/color][/font]