OtakuBoards

Question for the Otaku Anime/Manga Artist.

Saya Minatsuki

Do you have anything that helps you draw?

I need some kind of sound, preferably music, even more so Japanese music. If I'm in complete silence I become too anal about it and it takes all the fun away. The sounds help me relax a little so i can just go with the flow and enjoy myself.

[size=1][COLOR="DarkRed"]Try to keep manga related threads in the Manga Workshop ~Ikillion[/COLOR][/size]

whenever i think up of something to draw & try to put it on paper,i listen to different types of Japanese music,whenever i want to draw goth,i listen to songs like Moon on the Water,Aizome (Indigo),Karinui (Basting),I Call you Love or any sad sounding songs,but when i want to draw chibis or regular drawings, i like listening to Mr.Raindrop, Hit in the USA, Pray, My World Down or any cool sounding songs,but you can actually get in the mood with any type of music, all you gotta do is concentrate.;)

I find inspiration by looking at other manga artist's works and listen to music in order to help me draw. When I have all of my supplies out in front of me and a larger space to work on, that also seems to help me. As for music, I tend to try to listen to the type of music that would suit the theme of the drawing itself. So, for bloody or gory images, something crazy by MAXIMUM THE HORMONE might be played. If it's a happy image, something upbeat like any of the SuzuHaru single CDs would suffice. I don't know if that actually helps me but I heard it helps get others into the mood, so I do it too.

Music. No doubt about it. i had my protable radio on while doing fanart..and it turned out better than usualy. Let's just say i was also up at 11 oclock which also might have helped me draw somehow. i also find that when i'm elaxed, my anime people are better than when i draw when i'm upset. In other words, when i'mm happy my anime peoples are happy ^^;. Heehee, i took a leave of absence from here too long...i'll be posting more probably..

[COLOR="Purple"]It seems that all of us like to listen to music to get us into the mood of drawing. I practically listen to all sorts of music here in the US but not Japanese since I can't my hands on any. Sometimes I watch TV which helps me do outfits for the anime people that I draw. I listen to music to block out all the noise and I look at other mangaka's work [preferably CLAMP] for poses and sometimes their adorable or gothic themed outfits. That's what gets me into the mood of drawing and I've only been doing it for 3 years and I've improved a lot.[/COLOR]

To tell you the honest truth, I never really listen to J-pop or J-rock when I draw. I listen to a wide variety of music and it just helps me concentrate, whether it would be sad or peppy or whatever. Music won't really affect my mood while I draw, it's basically a medium that helps me concentrate.

I look to different Manga-ka for inspiration. I liked the art style of Tite Kubo, because of the outfits that he concocts for his characters. I liked the line work in Masashi Kishimoto's works like Naruto and Takeshi Obata's Death Note's brooding characters in Death Note all inspire my style. I like to draw little Chibi-Me's and have them critique my drawings. The one area I really never had any problem with was background design. I love to draw scenery, and my speciality is countryside. I can draw a medeval plain with a castle in the distance and swaying grass or I can draw a lush Bamboo forest complete with stone paths and a babbling brook.

What helps me the most when I'm drawing is stopping. I like to stop, relax, maybe burn a few pounds off playing DDR or something and then return to the drawing and put something cool on paper.

[color=darkblue][size=1]To go along with the majority, I also listen to music when I draw. Of course, it's not necessarily Japanese music... Just whatever happens to come up on my iTunes, haha.

Other than that, I usually ask not to be bothered until I'm done, that way I know I can relax and do whatever without always having to be worried about being called to do something around the house. It eventually gets annoying and makes my drawings look horrid. (If you take the latter bit of advice, do be considerate when asking for quiet time. It's always a bit shaky when you go up to a parent and say "I don't want to be bothered for the next two hours," hehe.)[/color][/size]

• 6 months later...
I usually listen to any kind of music, I listen to sadder songs when I'm drawing something sad, like screamo when its action, and some happier emo/alternative rock, when drawing happier manga.
I always need music, even when I'm not drawing or else I'll get lonely and paranoid, I listen to music always when I draw Manga. It helps me concentrate. I like White Prayer for J-rock, but can't get no songs cause I'm from the US :(

• 1 month later...
Well, before I draw I usually make quick sketches of random objects...just to help me loosen up. Try things around you for instance. It doesn't have to be like a detailed drawing, just a warm-up sketch to get your hand musles relaxed. Also, music helps me too...if I'm doing an action scene, fast music is a must. If I'm doing a loving scene, slow music tends to set the mood.

Well, I usually listen to music when I draw.Recently, I've been listening to music, and basing a drawing off of what comes in my head. But to me, it isn't a necessity, I guess it just helps get in the mood. But yeah, I'll also watch TV or mess around on the computer as well. It's whatever floats your boat.