OtakuBoards

Your most outrageous purchases.

desertphoenix

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'ce never before had the kind of money to spend that some of you talk about XD I had 300 bucks to blow for my birthday, so I decided I had enough to buy something totally unnecessary but worthy of my collection - something that would serve as a status-symbol for my otaku-ness.

So I bought this Lain artbook - hardback version - for 40 bucks. Mind you, to me, 40 bucks is a LOT. I am very tactical with my money, so spending 40 bucks on something like that was a rush like I've never gotten XD My brother was in awe, and he took away one of my 'jew cards.'

I'm glad I did buy it, though. Yoshitoshi Abe is an amazing artist, and Lain is one of my favorite anime. Plus it finally explained episode 5 for me...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]So I bought this Lain artbook - hardback version - for 40 bucks. Mind you, to me, 40 bucks is a LOT. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Fair warning, buying art books can be addicting. lol I know. I spent close to seventy to have one I'd been looking for imported from Japan. So I guess that can be my outrageous purchase for this year. Buying that art book. Or rather books since it was the two for X

Before that, probably when I got my car a few years ago. But I got it for a really good price so it doesn't feel outrageous. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]I've spent more money this year than ever before. I bet food has cost me over $50, at least over a period of five or so months.

Other than that, I spent a few days this summer working for my grandma and one of her friends earning money to buy a bass guitar. The purchase itself wasn't so outrageous, nor was the work I did, but it was pretty astounding for me to willingly go out in the sunlight, dig holes full of worms to put plants in, and get bitten thousands of times by mosquitoes just for the sake of my band. <3

I also bought a $300 amp (which Sam Ash so generously sold to me for closer to $250), but that was purchased with my birthday gift money and not cash I earned the hard way.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I spent $45.00 on a bra. It fits well, but no one should have to spend that much money on underwear. XD
I spent $60.00 at a movie theatre buying all the tickets and food for my freeloading friends. ^.^; [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm quite embarrassed by this one, and I dare anyone to try and top it:

So I have these phases. Maybe one day I feel like reading poetry, so I'll go out an buy a book of poetry. Another day, I'll feel like candy, so I'll go out and by bulk-size boxes of candy from The Sam's Club. (Who only sells stuff in bulk) And sometimes, if I'm feeling random, I'll drive until I get lost or run out of gas and see if I can give my parents/friends good enough directions to come and find me, after which they'll give me a bit of gas and I'll pay them back, plus interest, plus the gas to finish filling up the tank...

Anyway, I decided that I was interested in drawing. I can actually draw well, but when it comes to coloring the stuff, I'm horrible. I used to use colored pencils which alwasy ruined my pictures, so I switched to markers, but realized that I didn't have nearly enough to do it right... Anyway, I took a tutorial on comic book inking/coloring/shading and then went out and bought the exact brand of tools that the pros use. Only bad part: one marker cost me about 6 buck. I bought about 15 of the stupid things, used up my entire paycheck, only to come home and realize that I'd moved on to my next phase. I haven't used them since.

What's the harm in a little splurge every now and then?

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=blue]Ha, $3.92. Wait... that's not a good thing to win...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Ha, I win. Try $4.02...
But that's okay; I get a free fill-up every other week and my car gets great mpg. I usually don't have to worry about it, but even if I do, it's about 30 to 35 dollars to fill it up from empty.

Last year I spent about £700 (close to about $1200 I reckon) on a USB mixing desk for my music software : p the sad thing about it though is that I hardly use it- which is mainly because it just takes up so much space, and I'm really bad at actually finishing anything so as to mix it down properly..

My Lolita clothing.... /blush

I've always been the type of person who though it was insane to pay more than 30$ for a shirt... Well, I've changed. Lolita clothing is so bloody expensive yet you know why it is which makes me sad. I do not regret buying any of it, I love it all but I just wish the USD was more powerful. Since February's I've bought 4 dresses, and one grab bag along with accessories. The grab bag was 15,000 YEN, the one piece (wore for prom) was 36,540 YEN, a set of a dress-2 pairs of socks-bag-headbow was 25,000 YEN, one dress was 115$, another 150$,the grab bag was 15,000YEN with 45kYENworth of stuff in it and yeah it goes on from there.... I'm looking into this beauty right now, maybe for my birthday ([url]http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/onepiece/130316.html[/url]). It's worth the money because in general Japanese clothing is a LOT more money than American because they have to import the fabric and there is all the little details in it. You can kind of see the details on one of them in this picture ([url]http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v80/171/37/592296967/n592296967_139513_9258.jpg[/url])

[COLOR="Indigo"]Well, even though I know I need them, sometimes I find it annoying when one of my books for a class at school runs over a $100 and the damn thing is made like an cheap over sized paperback book that falls apart halfway during the semester.

Like one I got earlier in the spring, $110 and it lasted all of two months even though I was careful with it. It's like the longer I'm in college, the more cheaply made the books become, and yet they just get more and more expensive. Pretty outrageous/ridiculous if you ask me.[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Well, even though I know I need them, sometimes I find it annoying when one of my books for a class at school runs over a $100 and the damn thing is made like an cheap over sized paperback book that falls apart halfway during the semester.

Like one I got earlier in the spring, $110 and it lasted all of two months even though I was careful with it. It's like the longer I'm in college, the more cheaply made the books become, and yet they just get more and more expensive. Pretty outrageous/ridiculous if you ask me.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

:animestun [color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I just realized how lucky I am. The books for my CNA class are going to cost around 400$ But since I don't make that much and I qualified for VESID I don't have to pay anything. :p

Most outrageous recent purchase however? I'd have to say that the one hundred eleven dollars and fifty-two cents combined gas purchases are more than outrageous. But I drive over 600 miles a week for work so until I take my class in November I just have to suck it up.[/color][/font]