OtakuBoards

Fighting Games

Korey

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="1"]I love to play Fighting games just about as much as Rhythym games and I wanted to know....what's your favorite fighting game?

My personal favorite fighting game is Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike. The game innovated on the older gameplay of previous SF entries with the Parrying system and the new throwing method that made so much more sense to me. 3rd strike was the crown jewel of the the SF3 series (There were two other games that preceded it: New Warriors (verify?) and Double Strike). I still watch the video from Evolution where Daigo Umehara singled parryed Justin Wong's Chun Li to win the tournament, that was crazy. It's a shame that he hasn't been as good in recent years:animesigh

oh if you wanted to see the video.....here it is

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM[/url]

:animenose Crazy.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=gray]I remember when I use to play fighting games only. That's why I'm behind in games now. I didn't care about other genres. Now I wouldn't say fighting is my least favorite, but I wouldn't rush to get them these days since none of them are really pleasing anymore.

Favorite fighting game. [b]Power Stone[/b] would probably be my all time favorite because you can use your surroundings to your advantage. Some of the characters were pretty cheap though. Mainly the guy that threw a giant fireball.

The only other fighting game (series) I would play this day in age is [i]Dead or Alive[/i]. I also like the Street Fighter series with Marvel vs Capcom being my personal favorite. Too bad they cost too much money to be used games. >_>[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]I'm pretty amazing at fighting games, and I usually have to walk away from arcade machines because I just... don't lose. I played Tekken 5 in a mall once while my friend was shopping in Victoria's Secret, and I literally kept her for almost two hours beating people who were forming a line to try and beat me. I've played against some of the best in my state and beat most of them.

Other than Tekken 5, my favorites include any of the older King of Fighters games (don't make me choose, they're all pretty much the same!), the Street Fighter III games although I've only ever seen one in an arcade once, and Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur.

I never liked the Virtua Fighter games beyond the first couple, and Dead or Alive 4 is just now growing on me. I, like everyone else, hate the AI in the game, so I can really only tolerate multiplayer, but I'm still unlocking stuff like Tengu.[/font][/size]

[FONT=Verdana]I never get tired of watching that Daigo video, it’s insanely awesome. Hopefully he would be able to pull off something like that again this year.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]As for me, I’m a big fan of fighting games, but I’m not really good at any of them. I pretty much lose all the time against younger opponents at the arcades.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Anyway, of all the fighting games that I own, I enjoy playing Street Fighter: 3rd Strike the most. The smooth hand drawn animation, the awesome soundtrack, and the parrying system really makes it a joy to play. Although I suck at the game, I still have a lot of fun playing against other people since I always learn something new. Also, minor correction to the names of the other two versions of Street Fighter 3, they were called New Generation and 2nd Impact respectively. I’m not quite sure, but I think the most notable changes between the different versions was the soundtrack and the inclusion of Chun-Li and Akuma.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Another favorite title of mine is Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Supposedly SNK’s answer to 3rd Strike) . Lots of cool characters to play from, and an incredibly fast yet deep fighting system. The more I play this game, the more I appreciate all the details and the hard work that went into this game to make it stand it out from all of the other 2D fighting games.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
Other favorite titles of mine are Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, Capcom vs SNK 2, and Tekken 5.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[quote name='Tombstone'][color=gray]. I also like the Street Fighter series with Marvel vs Capcom being my personal favorite. Too bad they cost too much money to be used games. >_>[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
Tell me about it. I got my MvsC2 for my Xbox 50 dollars used a year ago. Supposedly now I could sell it for more, but I just can't let it go after I got all 56 characters unlocked.

I did get into [B]Dead or alive 3[/B] a lot, but my most favorite fighting game would be[B] Soul Caliber 2[/B]. Still love the balance of it, which I could only really appreciate after [B]Soul Caliber 3[/B] came out. I never owned SC3, because I never owned a Playstation 2, but SC3 had it's problems to me. It had a lot of character tweaks that felt unneeded, like they tried to turn Ivy into close range fighter and Nightmare into a god. The true new characters were nice, but the generic ones that had to share a list in the selection screen were just sad altogether.

I really hope that[B] Soul Caliber 4[/B] will be as balanced as SC2. I'm really happy now that it is coming out for the Xbox360, since I'm more interested in games coming out for that in the future.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=arial][size=1]Yeah, Soul Calibur III turned all of my good characters into crap. I really thought that everything in the console version of SCII was perfect, but in the arcade, they completely ruined Ivy by taking out moves until she was completely worthless, and then they separated all of her good moves into stances so that she, being a slow enough character to begin with, had to take even longer to set up her moves.

They arguably made Talim a little better, but that's hard to say.

It just annoyed me how much they changed all of the characters, but whatever, it'd be a better game to me had I not put so much effort into II.[/font][/size]

I have to agree with you guys on how they changed the characters so much between SC2 and SC3. Now, I am a casual player, but I played enough of each game to notice how the characters I loved just weren't the same anymore. In SC2, I was basically unbeatable with Nightmare, but in SC3, his moves just seemed to have such a drastic change.

Case in point? My little brother could easily kick my butt with his custom character just by doing the same move over and over again. Even when I would force him to change, he would still be able to beat me with his custom character.

[SIZE="1"]Currently I have to admit my favourite fighting game is [B]Dragon Ball Z: Boudokai 3[/B], a mix of quick, enjoyable fights and nostalgia of the TV show.

I still play Tekken occassionally, but after playing DBZ:B3 it just feels immensely slow and sluggish, especially when my favourite characters were all heavy damagers but slow as hell, Paul, Heihachi, Jin etc. [/SIZE]

I'm a big fan of fighters, especially doujin soft. Melty Blood ReACT Final Tuned and Melty Blood Act Cadenza Ver. B are my absolute favorite games. (Btw, if you have NetPlay for MBR, let's battle =D ) I also like Immaterial and Missing Power, Guilty Gear, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

As for the MB series, I just found it extremely fun because it involved characters that I could actually know about (If you read Tsukihime), and because it's so easy to learn how to play.

IaMP is fun because it's almost like a fighter/shoot-em-up, since the Touhou characters attack with a lot of bullet-like projectiles and what not. Sakuya = <3, and who can't love the drunken demon Suika?

I'm not that good in Guilty Gear, but it's fun. The graphics are pretty good, and I like the character designs. (Sol BadGuy, Ky Kiske,... and of course, our wonderful trap, Bridget~ <3)

SSBM is pretty self-explanatory. It's awesome. =(

I also play some other games like Super Cosplay War Ultra, ALiBAT, Fatal/Fake, Fate/Sword dance(?),... Line kills spirit >=3

I j/k about that one.

[strike]I only haven't played LKS because I don't have any more room on my HD D:[/strike]

I never liked [B]Tekken[/B] to begin with. It was just too slow, in my opinion, especially when compared to Soul Calibur and [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Blade"]The Last Blade[/URL][/B]. Plus, everyone seemed to do far too much damage, and the cyborg character, once he got you in a his spine breaking move, as far as I know, there is no way you can get out until he either kills you or depletes you of almost all your health.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]The craziest thing I've seen in Tekken was one of King's strongest grabs done on me. I cried. It was the one where with his last move, he jumps in the air and spirals down ward.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOFtCk1vxrc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOFtCk1vxrc[/URL]
It's in this video, but you are going to have to sit through 5 minutes worth of grabs. Oh yeah, the disclaimer.

What you are about to see was done in a video game. attempting to do any of these may result in serious injury or worse. Please, don't try this at home.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

My favorite, and best, fighting games are [b]Soul Calibur 2/3[/b] and [b]Def Jam: Fight For NY[/b]. I am also undefeated by a human opponent in the latter title, and those who did defeat me in [b]Soul Calibur[/b] have since been defeated dozens of times, and often times with a Perfect victory, which in my book has always negated any previous victory one has had.

I'm a junkie when it comes to fighting games, and while I may not be the best at 2-D's, I still love them. [b]Marvel vs. Capcom 2[/b] and old [b]Sreet Fighter 2 Turbo[/b] are golden. However, my forté has always been 3-D's. Particularly those made by Namco.

On [b]Tekken 4[/b] I regularly practiced on the hardest difficulty to no challenge and had no competition with humans. I created an original 8-hit combo with Steve Fox, the new character to the game, and soon found that I was just too good at the game, so I sold it.

Since then, I discovered [b]SC3[/b] and have mastered Mitsurugi. I refuse to play the game at any level other than Ultra Hard and when in public areas with my ol' PS2, I always go round house multiple times before just letting someone else play. It's dissapointing really, I have no fair opponent in the game.

I won't even start on [b]Def Jam: Fight For NY[/b] other than to say. Hard. D-Mobb. Victory. 30 seconds. Or Hard. Snoop Dogg. D-Mobb. Bonecrusher. Victory. Humans don't stand a chance.

silpheedpilot had proof of that last statement.[/color][/size]

[font=arial][size=1]The main thing that contributes to my losses in these games is that I'm very used to playing with people who actually know what they're doing. When I play against people who just button mash, I tend to lose because I'm not used to fighting someone who is so erratic, I'm used to being able to guess what people are going to do and counter it.

It's literally to the point that my friend Brad would beat me all the time in SCII until he got used to the game. He bought it for his GameCube and he's like "I'm getting the hang of it now!" and I'd start kicking his *** more often.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Matt']I never liked [B]Tekken[/B] to begin with. It was just too slow, in my opinion, especially when compared to Soul Calibur and [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Blade"]The Last Blade[/URL][/B]. Plus, everyone seemed to do far too much damage, and the cyborg character, once he got you in a his spine breaking move, as far as I know, there is no way you can get out until he either kills you or depletes you of almost all your health.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]Tekken slow? Are you playing the PAL version of the games? They are always slow compared to the NTSC versions, but I think the PAL version of Tekken 5 (or was it Dark Resurrection) plays just as fast as NTSC. Metal Gear Solid 3 was like that as well, so I had to wait till Subsistence came out before I could properly play the game.

[quote]The craziest thing I've seen in Tekken was one of King's strongest grabs done on me. I cried. It was the one where with his last move, he jumps in the air and spirals down ward.[/quote]

Heh, I know that move. It's pretty tough to pull off and can be easily countered, so I think the amount of damage it does is justifiable. In its defence though, you have to press square and triangle at the same to break that hold.[/color]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I feel for the good of the nation I must confess my Mutant DNA. My power? I kick peoples **** in on 2-D fighting games.

[B]Guilty Gear[/B], [B]King of Fighters[/B] series, [B]Marvel vs Capcom 2[/B], [B]Capcom vs SNK 2[/B], [B]Samurai Showdown[/B],[B] Street Fighter[/B] series.
Doesn't matter. I win the day.

[B]Guilty Gear[/B] is my personal favorite with it's over-the-top speed and fluid animations as well as a colorful cast of characters, with [B]King of Fighters[/B] series coming up in a close second place.

However, I grew up playing SNK so it's only natural that I took a liking to [B]Fatal Fury[/B], [B]King of Fighters[/B], [B]Samurai Showdown[/B] and the like more than Capcom's [B]Street Fighter [/B]series.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]All of us self proclaimed masters need to duke it out on XBox Live to settle who is the best fighting game player of Otakuboards (I can't wait to whoop the living crap out of all of you ^_~)

I'm more partial to 2D fighters rather than 3D ones, because n00bish spamming the buttons abounds in the latter. My brother and I duke it out a lot and most of the time I win, but he has some tricks that I fall for. His C groove Terry is good in CvS2, but my P groove Ken is that much better. Daigo tactics abound in those matches.

I've played Tekken since 3 and I loved the game. I don't see how the game is slow at all. I think that Soul Calibur is actually a little slower than Tekken because of the many menues that I've had to go through to get to the fight. I didn't like Soul Calibur 3 because it was horribly unbalanced (Why is Xianghua so damn good in that one? She totally *******'ed up the tiers in that one). However, the Arcade release made up for those mistakes. Let's hope Namco Bandai does fix that for Soul Calibur 4.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

I mostly play Virtua Fighter 4, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Soul Calibur 3, King of Fighters 2002 and Dead or Alive 2.

Virtua Fighter is probably my favourite fighting game series as it seems much more detailed than stuff like Tekken (And also Tekken 5s Arcade mode. Rip off of Kumite mode in VF 4.)

I'm torn over which of the 2D fights I like more. King of Fighters is a brilliant series but so is Street Fighter.

The Soul Calibur series is pretty badass also. I enjoyed the second iteration more than the third but since I only own 3 then theres a bit more experience with 3.

[font=arial][size=1]Yeah, I was pretty pissed at how much Tekken 5 stole from Virtua Fighter 4, despite me not liking the VF games much. It just didn't fit well into the game because I never really thought about T5 as much of a Karate game or whatever. Virtua Fighter has a more serious tone (despite the laughs the horrific voice acting gives me).

Speaking of, why isn't there a single fighting game with at least decent voice-acting? After my first round of Arcade Mode in most of these games, I switch the audio to Japanese. I mean, you'd think that it would be important enough to these publishers to hire real talent to say words that the gamer is going to hear every uhhh 15-30 seconds. At least if it's in Japanese, you can't tell if it's bad or not. I like to stay ignorant.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Yeah, I was pretty pissed at how much Tekken 5 stole from Virtua Fighter 4, despite me not liking the VF games much. It just didn't fit well into the game because I never really thought about T5 as much of a Karate game or whatever. Virtua Fighter has a more serious tone (despite the laughs the horrific voice acting gives me).

Speaking of, why isn't there a single fighting game with at least decent voice-acting? After my first round of Arcade Mode in most of these games, I switch the audio to Japanese. I mean, you'd think that it would be important enough to these publishers to hire real talent to say words that the gamer is going to hear every uhhh 15-30 seconds. At least if it's in Japanese, you can't tell if it's bad or not. I like to stay ignorant.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]
Quite true, It's a case of being better off remaining ignorant than being in the know. One wonders what the scriptwriters were smoking at the time.

Just like Square & their spoony bard comment.

For all future reference...fighting game english dubs are just as bad as most english dubs for anime, if not worse. My vote has to go to the Soul Calibur series....it makes Kilik seem like a pansy, even though he has some really cool dialgoue. Did anyone ever notice that Nightmare sounds a tad bit like Link in the Japanese audio setting in SC2?

As far as 2D fighters goes, my vote is split between Guilty Gear and Street Fighter. I loved KoF as well, but they need to do some serious updating to their fighting engines and sprites before I ever pick up that series again. C'Mon SNK, we live in the 21st century! Let's at least pretend we care about our graphics here. I love Guilty Gear because it's so fast paced and matches can get really intense at higher level play. One mistake and BAM! You're on the receieving end of a high damage Dust Loop or Gatling combo. The zany cast of characters is pretty cool too. Turtle Rushdown Baiken FTW!!!! ^_^

Street Fighter is awesome, because it's Street Fighter. Everyone has played SF2 at least once and can rememer the game. It's a classic and the developers at Capcom were doing well for the longest time with the series (with the exception of the EX series >_<) . We need a new SF for the new generation of consoles and I bet that SF could get some really cool power from a 360 or PS3 engine. I think they could challenge the GG artstyle.

[font=arial][size=1]There's two 3-D KOF games. I haven't played the first one, but KOF2006 surprised me. It's only like $20 and it's well worth that price at least. The graphics definitely aren't the best, but they didn't sacrifice any of the classic gameplay.

And apparently there's a Guilty Gear 2 coming out which looks like (from scans) it plays similar to Dynasty Warriors 2+. Weird. It seriously doesn't look like a fighting game at all, so who knows what to expect. It's in 3-D though. Even if it is some weird kind of gameplay, I doubt they're going to replace their fighter (which is the most popular 2-D fighter in Japan) with this new game.[/font][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

My favorite, and best, fighting games are [b]Soul Calibur 2/3[/b] and [b]Def Jam: Fight For NY[/b]. I am also undefeated by a human opponent in the latter title, and those who did defeat me in [b]Soul Calibur[/b] have since been defeated dozens of times, and often times with a Perfect victory, which in my book has always negated any previous victory one has had.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Hey man! Long time no talk!

Anyway, onto subject. I think I would be able to beat you in SC3. I'm hella good in that game. But not only that, I qualified for a national tournament (invite only) in the game which was held not more than three months ago.
So, I'm pretty good in SC3, but yet don't play any other games. I don't exactly know why, but I think that SC is just my game. Because I've been winning tournaments left and right for a little bit now. But, sadly, some of the tournaments have age limits on them. So, if they're 16+ I can't enter.

But, I'm known as the next video game generation, because of how good I am now. I don't think I'm that good, because I've lost to some trash people, but I was actually thinking of going to EVO one of these years, because its supposedly something that every video gamer (that plays games seriously) must do. They've been holding them in Las Vegas the past couple of years I believe. My (or one of them) older brother went to them, but I didn't because I didn't feel I was good enough.
Even though I wasn't back then, I know I am now. But they didn't have SC3 at EVO this year, so I was kinda sad. I've been thinking about picking up DOA since that game has some crazy money in it.

They had this small tournament in Dallas/Fort Worth area (which only had good people). It was about a 12 person tournament if I remember right. The winner won about 10k dollars just by winning that little tournament. Thats crazy.
Just thinking about it makes me wish I picked up that game. Even at EVO this past year they had every game 5k for first place. So thats for any game you can think of. SF, DOA, MVC, T5 (and DR), anything!

But I've been playing a lot of VF (Virtual Fighter 5) lately. I've been beating people at tournament and actually won one of those recently. It was a small tournament though. Only about four people if I remember right. It was in Lawton Oklahoma, so you know it was small.

Thanks for your time.

[font=arial][size=1]Sounds like me and Soul Calibur II. The only reason I didn't go to regionals or other bigger tournaments was because my parents simply did not want something to encourage me to play video games. Me winning my copy of Soul Calibur II was enough for them, haha. My friend took me to some tournaments and I ended up winning two of them, and placing high in two more. It apparently got my name out there, because whenever I play Tekken 5, I run into people who've heard of me.

Unfortunately, there's nothing organized for Tekken 5 players here like I remember for SCII. I tried to start up a team several times, posting fliers at local arcades and stuff. I got one phonecall, we made a date to play, and he never showed up or called back.

Yaaaaay Xbox Live. Soulcalibur IV (and hopefully Tekken 6!) cannot get here fast enough.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="2"]I've done local stuff for tournaments recently and the tournaments were never as big as the ones described here....I did however win a SF junior Nationals tournament a few years back (okay so like 10). I used to play SF2 sooooo much while I lived in Germany that it never left my SNES for like 2 years. When I got back to the states, one of my relatives got a flyer about the SF junior Nationals that was being held in St Louis. I did the SF2 turbo division and won about 500 dollars for getting first place. An 8 year old besting 15 year olds. My Chun Li was unstoppable. I still played some regional stuff for a few years before I discovered DDR.....but now I'm back into the tournament scene and I wanna enter EVO 2k8 for CvS2 and SF2 turbo. [/SIZE]