OtakuBoards

So, I'm considering a rough idea for an RPG...

Charles

I have only started to briefly consider this mind you, so I hope to gauge interest and receive general feedback on my somewhat basic idea. I guess I could potentially develop the idea more here too based on criticism, if anyone cares to provide any.

My idea is to have a mock OtakuBoards Presidential election RPG.

There would be three parties: Liberals, Conservatives and Independents.

Upon completing the sign-up process, each side will come up with a name for their party and select an animal to represent it. Maybe they can design simple logos around that animal.

Anyway, once that is done, each party can nominate who they would like to select as their presidential/vice presidential candidates. Once the candidates are selected, the parties would begin the campaigning process across the boards, trying to gain the support of voters in each forum. Now, strategy would be important here. Each party has funding to consider and there would be a cost value associated with campaigning in each forum (i.e, giving a speech or creating a really good thread to generate popularity points). So, the parties will have to consider their strategies carefully. Party members can lobby for financial contributions from members, but they will have to be documented in the main thread so that no member can contribute funding more than once--and it would always be a set amount.

So, during the campaign process we could see money used for campaigning, discussing issues and even smear campaigns or political advertisements.

Eventually the RPG will culminate into an offical Presidential debate and finally into an election. It would be interesting seeing how votes would swing based on each side's stance on issues such as abortion, homosexual marriage, or even the direction OtakuBoards should take.

What do you think?

[COLOR="Navy"]It's a really good idea actually. All I need to do is bring up wikipedia and look up the words [B]'liberals'[/B] and[B] 'conservatives' [/B]first. But what would happen after someone gets eleted? Would they get some fancy shmancy title or become like a mod or something? That's he only thing I don't see. But it is a rough idea afterall.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]It's a really good idea actually. All I need to do is bring up wikipedia and look up the words [B]'liberals'[/B] and[B] 'conservatives' [/B]first. But what would happen after someone gets eleted? Would they get some fancy shmancy title or become like a mod or something? That's he only thing I don't see. But it is a rough idea afterall.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be anything as fancy as that, really.

Perhaps we could hold some sort of OtakuBoards Presidential Inauguration ceremony but the main prize would just be the glory of winning the game and the fun that lead up to that point. :catgirl:

So, I guess I would like to know if anyone would be interested in this so that I don't bother giving it further consideration for nothing, heh.

You do know that the American two-party division sucks, don't you? ;P It's so narrow, and both big parties only represent the ideals of wealthy people (and nobody ever seems to vote for the independents).

As an example, I'll give you a glance to the European party system, which is much more varied. There's the [B]left wing party[/B] for workers and socialdemocrats, the [B]center party[/B] for the middle class and microenterpreneurs, the [B]right wing party[/B] for academic urban people and enterpreneurs of bigger corporations. Then there are the [B]communists[/B], the [B]green party[/B] (who are often liberals) and the [B]christian party[/B] (who are often conservatists). Plus a mishmash of smaller parties.

So instead of giving a choice of three big, vague parties, why don't you allow a broader selection. That way there could be more parties, and more presidential candidates. ;D

Oh, and I really like the idea, by the way. But I'm into politics anyway. ;P Do work it on!

[color=#606060]Well maybe part of the concept could involve people creating their own political parties.

In Australia there are two primary parties as well as independents...but then there are another 14 or so minor parties. So perhaps part of the fun can involve the creation of new parties. *shrug*

I like the idea of the format, personally. For the sake of the game each thread based around the RPG would need to be clearly labeled/tagged, though - partly so that everyone is aware that these threads are part of a competition of sorts but also so that you can keep track of where the campaigning is happening (therefore you can ensure people aren't making too many threads or using too much of their "funding", etc).

As long as there are some basic rules to govern the election I think it could be interesting. It'd be interesting to see how people put together groups of supporters and such - especially if there are more than two candidates.

The only question is, what would the President be the President of, exactly? lol Maybe this idea could relate to the fictional Otaku world that some have written about in those OB parody RPGs. Or something.

I think it's all going in a good direction, in any case. It's certainly a unique idea.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Sounds like an interesting idea, I'm just curious Charles about how exactly our party will reflect our politics, i.e. will the Liberals all have to be tree-hugging abortionists and the Conservatives redneck bible-thumpers ? Just kidding. :p But seriously, I'm just curious as given my recent positions in the Lounge at the moment I'm not sure where I'd fit, could be an Indepedent I suppose, despite not even giving them a preference vote in the last elections.

And on that final note. VOTE GAVIN FOR PRESIDENT!! ;)[/SIZE]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]The only question is, what would the President be the President of, exactly? lol Maybe this idea could relate to the fictional Otaku world that some have written about in those OB parody RPGs. Or something.[/color][/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that the President would be the President of OtakuBoards. Perhaps I could come up with a storyline where you're stepping down and the entire staff is now going to be selected democratically through an election process now. Whichever side wins the presidential election also gets a majority in the staff.

This angle would also work because candidates could argue their stance not only on real-world issues, but specific OtakuBoads issues as well, such as new rules they will implement, or a forum structure they will adopt upon winning. Stuff like that. I know that not everyone is interested in serious issues, but almost everyone here can respond to OB-related suggestions, so it would really be a way to appeal to everyone.

Sandy, I like your idea for a political arrangement. I'm mainly familiar with the American set-up, but a modified version of what you suggested would be a neat improvement. I want to be careful not to make too many parties because I think that things could get out of hand. Maybe we could initially allow side parties, such as the Christian party and as time goes on and one party obviously isn't going to win, they can choose to throw their remaining funding and support behind another party. That could create an interesting dynamic.

I'd also like to start the smaller independent parties off with a smaller budget, so that those teams will be ideal for expert players who really want a challenge. There's also the possibility that independents will take away votes from certain primary parties, so that would be a problem that the primary parties would have to consider.

Maybe if this all goes through, when/if people sign up, they could state how liberal or conservative they are and develop a plethora of parties based on that. Hmm.

Lastly, I was giving more thought to the smear campaigns too. I was thinking that in order to keep things from getting too spammy, if people want to buy advertising space they could post a smear ad within someone else's camppaign thread so that we're not getting a bunch of smaller threads that would really have no other point. heh

[color=#606060]As long as it's clear that this is an RPG/member event, that's okay. I just wouldn't want a newer member to sign up thinking that if they win they'd get OB handed over to them, lol.

It would also be good if we could keep the threads in one or two locations for convenience - so you would be welcome to use The Arena (even if this isn't a typical RPG) or we could consider using Otaku Lounge. That aspect is really up to you.

I personally think that this idea would push the boundaries of RPG concepts, so it might provide great inspiration to others if it were in Adventure Arena.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]As long as it's clear that this is an RPG/member event, that's okay. I just wouldn't want a newer member to sign up thinking that if they win they'd get OB handed over to them, lol.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I know this will probably sound horrible, but that would actually be very funny. Some random newbie gets the job and thinks it brilliant, sees James' work load and then resigns after a day. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='James']As long as it's clear that this is an RPG/member event, that's okay. I just wouldn't want a newer member to sign up thinking that if they win they'd get OB handed over to them, lol.[/quote]

:laugh:

I would definitely make it clear.

[quote]It would also be good if we could keep the threads in one or two locations for convenience - so you would be welcome to use The Arena (even if this isn't a typical RPG) or we could consider using Otaku Lounge. That aspect is really up to you.

I personally think that this idea would push the boundaries of RPG concepts, so it might provide great inspiration to others if it were in Adventure Arena.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's what I'm thinking--and you can tell me if you feel it's acceptable.

The way the campaigning works would differ from something like Final Quest for Glory threads. Like, I was thinking that the strategy aspect could see smaller forums like Manga Workshop costing far less money to campaign in than Otaku Lounge. But, of course, there are some tradeoffs to campaigning across smaller forums.

One drawback is that candidates won't reach as many potential voters, but another drawback is that someone can't post a thread in Manga Workshop about gun control. So, if someone were to campaign in Manga Workshop, they would have to create a fun, relevant thread for that area, tag the thread a campaign thread so that it becomes documented, and perhaps at the end of their post simply add, "Everyone in here knows that I support even the smaller forums like Manga Workshop, so if you appreciate my contributions to the area, please remember to vote for me in the OtakuBoards presidential election." Or if they want to post a good suggestion for the site in the suggestions forum they could do the same deal. If a player makes a thread within the RPG that has to be moderated (i.e., closed), they are not refunded their campaign money and obviously they will become fodder for their competition, should they choose to exploit the mistake with a "smear" ad. So, a good public image will be important anyway.

The main threads would be in the Adventure Arena though, and each party's thread could feature a thread directory that links to their campaign threads, which would further clarify things.

Do you think that would work?

I ask because I had this fun idea where voters could put down their "home forum" and at the end of the election, I would show which candidate won each forum.

Also, I'm thinking about charging people campaign money to put a permanent advertisement in their signatures about the election.

[color=#606060]That sounds great to me. And I guess you could just have a poll thread or something which would be very easy (especially since you can make it that people can't vote twice). So we'd actually get pretty accurate results.

It does sound like it's coming together well. I'm happy for you to go ahead with it.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
So, with Final Quest for Glory set to end soon, I've begun developing the RPG further.

Currently, I'm trying to work out the distribution of money. This is key to the RPG because if I do not ration funds out correctly, it would break the game. I'm going to post what I've worked out and it would be great if any of you could provide some feedback for me. Do you like the distribution I've come up with? How would you tweak it?

Here is what I have come up with:

[B]Here is what each forum costs to campaign in[/B]:

[B]Anime Lounge[/B]-$3,000
[B]Manga workshop[/B]-$500
[B]Hardwired[/B]-$1000
[B]Music, Movies and Television[/B]-$3,000
[B]Otaku Lounge[/B]-$4,000
[B]Suggestions and Feedback[/B]-$2500
[B]Arena Underground-[/B]$1000
[B]Adventure Square[/B]-$1000
[B]OB Anthology[/B]-$500
[B]Art Studio[/B]-$1000

Because I do not know if this will flop or if a substantial amount of people will sign up, I will not disclose exactly how many people constitute each party. Having said that, here is the amount I have tentatively decided that each party should start out wiith:

[B]Small Party:[/B] $2,000

[B]Medium[/B]: $3,000

[B]Large[/B]: $4,000

I didn't want to start the groups out with too much because I wanted the game to open up for them as time goes on.

Now, I also want to allow people the opportunity to accept funding from corporations, utilizing the RPG's awesome [B]Pay to Play[/B] feature. When a Candidate accepts funding from a third party, they receive $3,000 but they must agree to promote the company and their ideals in their campaign. So, say someone decides to accept money from Big Tobaku--they would agree to promote cigarette smoking among members in formal speeches or perhaps create an rpg in which smoking is prominant among the characters. Each party can only be supported by one of these advertisers.

I have decided that [B]Smear Campaigns[/B] should cost $1,000. However, if claims made in the smear ads are fraudulent, players can be sued for $500.

Lastly, parties can get members to give them contributions. Once a member has contributed, they must be listed in the official party thread and can no longer contribute. Here is the worth I have settled on:

[B]Members[/B]: $200

[B]Moderators[/B]: $300

[B]Category Moderators[/B]: $400

[B]Administrators[/B]: $500

What do you think?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I think the whole thing is an excellent idea. It's smart, original, and sounds like a BLAST.

Let it be known th[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]at I call dibs on the [B]National Radical Meadow Party[/B]...

Shotgun on campaign manager!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It's going pretty well. I think I finally have the funding issue sorted out.

I'm going to try to have it up within the next couple days. Hopefully it goes over nicely! :fingers crossed:

[B]Edit:[/B]

Okay, so obviously this thing has went over as well as the Titanic. I would like to use this as either a learning opportunity or an opportunity to try to salvage this game one last time. So--

What about this RPG did you not like? What deterred you from signing up?

What could be changed or added to increase your interest in this RPG?

Is the premise of the RPG too intimidating for you?

Would this be more interesting as a community event?

Should I try starting this at another time of the year? Are you too busy to play, currently?

I would just like some general member feedback so that I can analyze opinions and try to relaunch this. I just [i]know[/i] that it would be awesome if it would just get off the ground. So, I'd like to adjust my game according to member opinions.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Charles;792611]What about this RPG did you not like? What deterred you from signing up?[/QUOTE]To be honest? It's not the type of RPG that interests me. I know it was just for fun, but it would be the same as looking at an InuYasha RPG, it's just not something that I find interesting. Even though the thought of running with my dog or rather Bichon's as my animal did occur to me. Still in the end, fake politics, using strategy and such, even though it's totally just for fun isn't something that I find appealing. [quote name='Charles;792611]What could be changed or added to increase your interest in this RPG?[/QUOTE]Is there anyway to include those who would be nothing more than voters instead of being part of a party? I've no idea how that could work though. XP[QUOTE=Charles;792611]Is the premise of the RPG too intimidating for you?[/QUOTE]No, as I said before, it simply doesn't interest me. Not quite the same thing really.[QUOTE=Charles;792611]Would this be more interesting as a community event?[/QUOTE]It might get a bit more attention... But I'm not sure if that would make it any more appealing.[QUOTE=Charles;792611]Should I try starting this at another time of the year? Are you too busy to play, currently?[/QUOTE]That might be a good idea. I know that a lot of people, myself included, are back in school again. In fact my Mom and I lost most of the people working on The Otaku Times because of school coming first. Also, I am already in several rpgs right now so that does make me less likely to sign up for other ones at the moment.[QUOTE=Charles']I would just like some general member feedback so that I can analyze opinions and try to relaunch this. I just [i]know[/i'] that it would be awesome if it would just get off the ground. So, I'd like to adjust my game according to member opinions.[/quote]The thing is... I was planning on following this so I hope you do get it off the ground. [/FONT][/COLOR]

To be honest, I'm in the same situation as my daughter, other than the time issue. But truthfully it isn't something that I am interested in doing. I do think it would be a lot of fun once you got it going. I just have no interest in being a part of it. It has nothing to do with the idea itself, only that my tastes are different. Much like the difference between say Sci-Fi and Anime... I like Sci-Fi rpg's but have no interest in Anime ones. Just as I have no interest in being part of a mock campaign for someone to become president of OtakuBoards. I do wish you the best of luck with it though since I do think it's an idea that could be a lot of fun. If you enjoy that sort of thing that is. Also, I'm sorry that I have no suggestions, I really don't know what you could do that would garner more interest.

[color=#606060]There's one main reason I never signed up for this - I'm an Admin. Although it wasn't expressly stated, I assumed that would pretty much void me joining.

Also it depends how the RPG plays out - for instance, I wasn't sure if it would actually have a story or not.

Like...say the candidates make threads to "campaign" for president. Would there be an ongoing story in the background?

I'm thinking something like FQFG2, which had a main RPG coinciding with what was happening out in the field, so to speak.

If so, that would change things...if it were like that, I'd be able to sign-up in some form or another (even if not as an actual candidate).

I'm disappointed that the RPG didn't take off though, because it really is a fantastic concept.[/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Charles']Should I try starting this at another time of the year? Are you too busy to play, currently?[/QUOTE]Well you already know that it's not something that really appeals to me Charles, however, the being busy really is the biggest issue since I'm running my own RPG as well as co-running one with BKstyles and being a part of two others as well. Add moderation duties over at theOtaku and well... That just kind of kills any interest I might have had since I'm already in so many things right now. Which is a shame since I can see how this could be rather fun in action. [/FONT][/COLOR]