OtakuBoards

Hot fuzz!

Aberinkula

[COLOR="Navy"]Simon Pegg and Nick Frost star in this action parody. They were both in Shaun of the Dead, a zombie spoof. I got Hot Fuzz this Tuesday when it came out, and this movie is hilarious and action packed.

Simon Pegg plays Nicholas Angel, one of London's best cops. But he gets transfered into Sanford, the Community that Cares. Well let's just say, this ideally peaceful own has it's share of murderous psychopaths.

Nick Frost plays Danny Butterman, the son of Frank Butterman, who is the head policeman. Let's just say those two make a great performance.

I love this movie. I wanted to see it when it was in theaters, but never got around to it. And I am really glad I bought this DVD. It also has a trivia reel that plays during the film.

[spoiler]One scene is actually reminiscent of a scene from Shaun of the Dead. remember when they jumped the fence to get the Winchester? Well, they jump over a fence to catch criminal. After officer Angel jumps the frence, Danny tries to jump it. He crashed intot eh fence, and he couldn't jump that well.[/spoiler]

The movie is bloody too.

I don't want to keep rambling. So has anyone else seen this movie? Well, I don't know about you, but this was a great show, funny and action packed.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Wow, I was sure there would have been a thread on this before now. Did the movie only come out on DVD Tuesday for you guys Prem ? I picked it up for my brother's birthday nearly two months ago.

Hot Fuzz for me was one of those wonderful gems of films that you went to see without expecting much and laughed the whole way though it, well through the funny bits anyway. I don't know what it is about Simon Pegg, but his portrayal of the uber-cop Nicholas Angel was flawless as was Nick Frost?s bumbling wannabe uber-cop Danny Butterman.

Comically what?s great about Hot Fuzz is not just that it works so well, but that the secondary characters are genuinely funny [the Andys being the best example of this] and the ludicrous plot plays on real social issues in a way that makes you laugh and think at the same time.

I?m not going to add any spoilers to the plot, but I would advise anyone to rent this film to just sit back and laugh.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Don't highlight the spoilers if you haven't seen it! Big plot twists!

Anywho, I'm a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead - it made me into a big fan of zombie films and won me over with it's exquisite blend of comedy, gore, and great characters. Naturally it's one of my all time favorite movies, so I had high hopes for Hot Fuzz, and I was not disappointed.

I was surprised, though, that it was way more of a horror movie sort of parody than a cop action film. this movie definitely had some of the most brutal scenes I've ever seen, and I thought they did an amazing portrayal of said scenes in the way that they had a comedy movie that was still shocking as hell and a little frightening. I gotta say, the part where [spoiler]the pillar crushes that guy's skull and the blood positively shoots [i]everywhere[/i] was awesomely sick.[/spoiler]

Honestly, I think this is like the uultimate movie in many ways. When it comes to horror movies, the thing i have always hated about them is that they are always eiter really campy and lame or take themselves too seriously. Hot Fuzz has an absurd and yet brilliant plotline with the kind of twists you don't really see coming but aren't stupidly thrown out. While it is scary and gory, it's funny and charming, and is an odd but beautiful mix.

As for the comedy aspect, I have never seen brutal comedy done this well. The movie rivals Pulp Fiction in it's combination of action and laughs, especially for the fact that some of it's most intense, dramatic scenes force a smile. [spoiler]The part where Nicholas Angel is arguing with the other officers quite heatedly and everyone is placing quarters for each other in the swear jar was amazing, as well as the reveal of the plot twist by the village council. Even the utterly horrifying part where Nicholas is running throught the underground cavers where there's hundreds of corpses of the the bad people in the village is made funny when you see the living statue in his death pose.[/spoiler]

And, of course, the movie also features one of the longest, most over-the-top gunfights I've ever seen going all around the village and stuff. It really instilled the feeling that so much was happened and you wanted to see these people dead so bad so it was like 'alright, *** kickin time!' and of course that was all great fun.

And then, of course, the ending was perfect. [spoiler]Danny Butterman gets shot and the first thought going through my head is 'dammit! that's it! It's ruined!' my brother was about to cry he was so pissed and then you see him at the grave and of course Danny's alive! That was spectacular, and the perfect last laugh for the movie.[/spoiler]

I can't sing enough praise for this one, and I'll prolly pick it up as a birthday gift this wednesday (16 biyatch!).[/COLOR]

Well, I for one also got the DVD (and Gavin, I think both the movie and DVD came out in Europe months before they were released in North America) just the other day, and I had a great time watching it several times over the last couple of days. I still haven't seen most of the extras, but will definitely make a point of doing so tomorrow, at least.

One thing I talked about with my dad regarding that movie was the fact that, as a reviewer whose name escapes me put it, the movie is not really a parody. The concept of parody suggests that at some point the film or story at least acknowledges some of the conventions of the works or genres they are parodying and play off them for laughs. However, neither [I]Shaun of the Dead[/I] nor [I]Hot Fuzz[/I] does this quite often enough to be considered parody. What both movies do instead is follow the conventions or tropes of the zombie/cop movies and then add dialogue humour or physical comedy so that the two mesh. In [I]Hot Fuzz[/I], there are only a couple of instances where the movie seems to mock the cop-movie tropes openly, like the gun battle, or Nick Angel's discussion with the guy working at the corner store:

[spoiler]"Is there anything I can do for you?"
"No, this is something I have to do on my own..."[/spoiler]

Also, the points at which the movie referenced both [I]Point Break[/I] and [I]Bad Boys II[/I] were also quite cleverly done, and worked because the audience doesn't necessarily have to have seen those movies to get the jokes, since they were likely mentioned earlier in the movie (except the helicopter sequence at the end, apparently from the latter film). The fact that I have seen neither movie yet could still appreciate the references helped the movie quite a bit.

Also, I'm actually quite surprised at the number of references made to [i]Shaun of the Dead[/i], including the fence jumping sequence, the brief exchange between the two protagonists about [spoiler]Cornetto[/spoiler], Danny [spoiler]shooting someone in the leg with an air rifle[/spoiler], [spoiler]the sea mine being live when they thought it wasn't, like the shotgun from [i]Shaun[/i][/spoiler], the game machine in the bar, and, in one of the deleted scenes, the explanation of the word "exacerbate". Also, if you watch the extras, you see joke extras similar to the ones from [I]Shaun of the Dead[/I], such as the "Hot Funk", where they show the actors attempts to overdub lines in the original movie to eliminate swearing with nonsensical expressions, or "The man who would be Fuzz", where they shot a scene where Simon Pegg and Nick Frost attempted weird impersonations (my dad thought Simon Pegg was trying to sound like Michael Caine, what with the nasal intonations). Personally, I would have liked to see them do "Plot Holes", like they did with [i]Shaun[/i], but I guess this movie had fewer such moments so it really isn't a big deal.

Ultimately, I highly recommend that people get this DVD if they haven't already, as this represents the epitome of action-movie humour and wit to date, and I look forward to seeing the wonder-trio of Wright, Pegg and Frost make more movies in the future. Actually, in case people here haven't already heard...

Nick Frost did a TV series called "Danger! 50,000 Volts!" which was like a humourous takeoff of wilderness or danger survival shows, teaching people how to stunt-drive out of gunfights, fight off muggers, or survive a zombie attack with help from Simon Pegg. The zombie episode is called "Danger! 50,000 Zombies!", and I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

Simon Pegg is going to be in a movie called [i]Run Fatboy Run[/i] with [I]Shawn of the Dead[/I] co-star Dylan Moran in which Pegg tries to impress his girlfriend by losing weight and participating in a marathon. It could be some sort of tongue-in-cheek statement about body dysmorphia or the fact that Nick Frost is usually the one playing the role of the fat guy, but either way, I'll be looking forward to it.

Finally, Edgar Wright is apparently going to direct a film adaptation of Bryan Lee O'Malley's comic book series [I]Scott Pilgrim[/I] at some point in the future. I have only read one volume of the series thus far, but its pop-culture related humour and almost absurd sense of romance and drama could make for an amazingly fascinating film...or a really bad one, it being an adaptation...but I have faith in Edgar Wright to do it properly.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][spoiler] The scene where they chase the two actors was funny. It was the fastest car-chase I've ever seen. And the trivia even said it was intended to be.[/spoiler]

I just want to call somebody "**** ugly" for some reason. I know that I'll be saying yarp soon, all over the place! XD. I agree with DB, the movie can't get enough praise from me. I only wish there was more. I loved the part when he just arrived a tthe hotel and the woman is doing the crossword. It was the creepiest part of the film. [spoiler]And during the fight scene where Nicholas Angel calls the old women 'hag' just busted my lungs![/spoiler]

[spoiler]When Danny got shot, I was pissed. I'm glad he didn't die. And I agree with DB about the living statue showng his death pose. The blood that came out of Tim Messenger was just awesome. It surprised me too. And the splatter effect on the camera just made it all better![/spoiler]

God, I can't explain how much I enjoyed that movie. The perfect cop and the bumbling cop team-up was just too funny. [/COLOR]