OtakuBoards

Recommendation For More Anime

KingEarthEater

Okay, so for a while now, I haven't really been watching much anime at all. But I remember a while ago I watched Full Metal Alchemist and I liked it. I actually watched it all the way through (which this was my first anime ever :p).

So, I want to know what you guys think I will like (since I've watched FMA). I was looking through some and none of the names looks really good... so I don't know what to start watching or anything.

Anything you guys could recommend?

Thank for your time,

Baby Link

It's a little hard to give recommendations to someone whose anime tastes haven't had a chance to form yet (if I'm reading your post correctly, that is). But that just gives us an excuse to go wild with suggestions. Sounds like fun to me. :p

[b]Escaflowne[/b]: A fan-favorite fantasy adventure. There have been a lot of anime that revolve around a girl who gets sucked into a parallel world, but this is definitely one of the best.

[b]Gungrave[/b]: Focuses on growing up in a corrupt city. It has sci-fi elements, but the main themes are family and Family (as in the Mafia). The first episode can be confusing.

[b]Last Exile[/b]: Set in a steampunk world, this show features lovingly rendered aerial battles. It's quite epic, with a large cast and loads of subplots. Some viewers complain about the ending.

[b]R.O.D[/b]: Stands for Read or Die. It's only three episodes long, so you can get the whole thing on one disc. The production values are splendid, and the story is off-beat--lots of bizarre superpowers and crazy fight scenes. The main character, for instance, uses paper as her weapon: she can make it hard enough to stop bullets or sharp enough to use as a sword.

[size=1]Don't get confused, by the way... there's also an R.O.D TV series.[/size]

[b]Samurai Champloo[/b]: A series that's set in historical Japan but includes a lot of amusing anachronisms (from urban graffiti to baseball to beatboxing). The action sequences are a joy to watch, and the episodic format lets it dish out tragedy as well as comedy.

[b]Scrapped Princess[/b]: This was animated by the company that made FMA and has a similar proportion of comedy and drama. The protagonist is a princess who was prophesied at her birth to be "the poison that will destroy the world." Not one of my personal favorites, but might be worth checking out.

~Dagger~

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Some good recommendations, hm? Since I haven't seen much more than I can get on cable and Anime Network on Demand (which is weird that I even have it, since I don't have Anime Network:confused:), I'll just point out some of the classics, and a few of my personal favourites (like Dagger said before, since there isn't too much to go on, you've given us a lot of freedom to respond.)

[B]Cowboy Bebop:[/B] I'm pretty sure anybody and everybody has seen this one, but in case you haven't [B][I]you must[/I][/B]. It's hard to give a brief of this show, because mostly each episode is it's own story. Set in the future, where mankind has explored the many regions of space and colonized on quite a few planets, this anime is about the exploits of a group of bounty hunters who roam space.

[B]Trigun:[/B] Another classic. This one's about super-wacky but kind hearted gunman who gets himself into and out of all kinds of trouble. Oh, and he has a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head.

[B]Outlaw Star:[/B] The setting of of this show is much like that of Cowboy Bebop (what with the space ships and stuff). Gene Starwin, a small time bounty hunter on the backwater planet Sentinel IV, finds himself in possesion of the fastest ship in the world, as well as in the company of a mysterious girl called Melfina, who is a biological android and serves as the ships navagation system. Both ship and the girl are tied to the 'Galactic Leyline' , which nobody seems to know what it is, but everybody wants to get to it.

[B].hack//SIGN[/B] This recommendation is a little out there. (Many people tell me they don't like it because the pacing of the show is slow). In the near future, a new computer game, 'The World", a MMORPG (or "Massive Multyplayer Online Role Playing Game") is the most popular game in the world. One player, a boy named Tsukasa, can't seem to log off and return to the real world. This mysterious glitch has its source in a much deeper problem in the game, one that could bring disaster to both the game and its players.

...and of course...

[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion:[/B] Like Cowboy Bebop, everybody and their uncle has seen this one. This show is arguably the best anime in exsistence. The year is 2015, and 15 years ago a disaster caused by mankind's first contact with another intelligent life form, called Angels, melted the Antartic ice cap, ruining the ecosystem and killing many people in the immediate aftermath. A para-military organization called NERV was created to deal with these beings, and NERV has developed the only weapon capable of defeating these creatures: The Evangelions. Shinji Ikari, a teenage boy who is also the son of the commander of NERV, is chosen to piolit Unit 02 when another Angel attacks.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Søren'][FONT="Garamond"][B]Neon Genesis Evangelion:[/B] Like Cowboy Bebop, everybody and their uncle has seen this one. This show is arguably .[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]And believe me, it is argued XD there's never been an Eva thread without a massive debate involved. But yeah, if you've never seen it, you NEED to.

Anyway, if you're looking for anime that's out on DVD in the us... well, it's hard for me to say. After all, it depends on why you liked FMA. If you liked it for the impressive character development and sometimes deep storytelling and the sense of realism involved, I might reccommend you onto something like Haibane Renmei or Boogiepop Phantom. If you liked it for action and comedy and all that rot, I'll send you after Full Metal Panic or Generator Gawl.

Just the sentence 'I was looking through some and none of the names looks really good... ' makes me want to say 'go watch Narutard j00 effing n00b' or something equally cruel XD[/COLOR]

[quote name='Søren'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][B]Trigun:[/B] Another classic. This one's about super-wacky but kind hearted gunman who gets himself into and out of all kinds of trouble. Oh, and he has a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Oh, and he just so happened to [I]put a hole in the moon.[/I] They talk about this from episode one, if I remember right, so I don't think it's a spoiler.

[B]Wolf's Rain[/B] is a good one, and probably my all-time favorite. Post-apocalyptic setting, in a version of the world where wolves, who are supposed to be extinct, have learned to take on the illusionary form of humans to blend in. The plot follows a white wolf as he searches for the mythical Paradise.

[B]Ghost in the Shell[/B]. I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't recommend this title, which currently covers two movies and two series (as far as I know): Ghost in the Shell; GitS 2: Innocence; GitS Stand Alone Complex; GitS SAC 2nd GiG. Cyberpunk, graphic at times, and [I]very[/I] cerebral.

[center]Sailor Moon.
You must watch Sailor Moon.
Everyone loves Sailor Moon.[/center][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial][center]Sailor Moon.
You must watch Sailor Moon.
Everyone loves Sailor Moon.[/center][/FONT][/QUOTE]Just make sure you watch the subtitled instead of the butchered English. :p And Allamorph, for one who reads so many mysteries how could you forget Case Closed? For shame. ^_~

As for recommending some shows to watch, it really depends on your tastes. For example the last shows I would ever recommend are Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm glad I only rented those instead of wasting my money on them.

So I'm going to give you recommendations that are of a different slant than what you've been getting so far:

[B]Pretear[/B]: It's kind of like a Japanese version of snow white only she has seven knights instead of dwarfs. And naturally it has magical transformations, special attacks and stepsisters to go along with it. It's cute, funny and has a fun ending.

[B]DNAngel[/B]: Basically the story of a teenage boy who turns into a phantom thief when ever he thinks about the girl of his dreams. The whole story is about him stealing magical artifacts as a thief while trying to figure out the mystery behind why he turns into a thief in the first place. It's also got wonderful visuals since it's a combination of animation and computer graphics and the music to this series is fantastic. Also, if you do check this out, watch the show before you read the manga since a lot was left out.

[B]Fruits Basket[/B]: This story is about Tohru Honda, a sixteen year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure. However, these young men and parts of the rest of their family hold a curse; if they are hugged by the opposite gender, they transform into animals of the Chinese Zodiac.

It's all about relationships and growing up but that transforming bit brings quite a bit of fun into the show since they fall out of their clothing when they transform so when they change back, they're [spoiler]naked.[/spoiler] It's by far one of the best anime's I've seen. If you are into this type of show that is. ^_~

[B]Case Closed[/B]: High school detective Kudo Shinichi is infamously known to the people of Japan as "The Modern Sherlock Holmes." Yet things will changed as he is drugged by two mysterious men in black and found himself shruken to the size of a kid. Hiding his real name, Shinichi now lives with his childhood sweetheart Mouri Ran under the name of Edogawa Conan and hoping to find some clues about the men in black through clients and cases of Ran's father--a pathetic second-class detective who quickly became well-known through secretive helps from Conan. [[SIZE="1"]borrowed from ANN since I'm lazy[/SIZE]][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]SuperGALS - Stupid but hilarious. One of my favorites about a GAL patroling the streets in Shibuya.

Bleach- This is a good series about shinigami and dealing with lost souls. It is fun to watch Ichigo's bad attitude.

Naruto Time Skip- I think that this is better than Naruto in a way. For one, every is older. Two. <3 Itachi[/COLOR]