OtakuBoards

Twilight series

Claire

[FONT="Arial"]Has anyone read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer? Right now it includes Twilight and New Moon, but the newest book, Eclipse, is coming out tomorrow (and I am bursting with excitement!).

Since I'm terrible at summarizing...

[quote name='Wikipedia']Twilight is a young adult/horror/fantasy/romance novel written by author Stephenie Meyer, originally published in hardcover in 2005. The story is about seventeen-year-old Isabella Swan, a girl who moves to Forks, Washington and finds her life in danger when she falls in love with vampire Edward Cullen.[/quote]

Sure, the books aren't exactly exquisite literature, but they are very well written and addicting. I read the first book casually at first, but I became so enthralled with the story that I ended up finishing the last 200 pages or so late one night (and then became inspired to create the vampire characters that appear in some of my short stories here in Anthology). I got New Moon a few days after that and devoured it's five hundred plus pages in only seven or eight hours.

As of this moment, my favorite in the series is Twilight. New Moon was just as interesting, but [spoiler]very shortly into the book all the vampire characters disappeared, making Bella terribly depressed and whatnot, and they didn't return until about three hundred damn pages later. That made me want to throw the book at the wall and scream "BRING BACK EDWARD!"[/spoiler] I think I cried when I finished it, though. [spoiler]Probably from frustration that Bella was still human, haha.[/spoiler]

Vampires are my absolute most favorite things to read and write about, and I think Stephenie Meyer does them the best. It might be a little girly, as the romance is so obvious, but I think if you like vampires at all you should give these books a chance.[/FONT]

Well, I actually just finished up Twilight last night upon reccomendation from a friend... The book absolutely infuriated me. I supposed it's more for girls, which I should have suspected.
The first half of the book is simply Bella's life at school and her adjustment and her infatuation with Edward, the vamp. To be honest, it's really really really dull. I liked the parts where a bit of the back story was explained, but ultimately there wasn't enough of that special something to keep me interested in it the whole way...
There were a few well placed scenes of action in the first half, but only a few and when those are divided between 100 pages, it makes me mad.
Then, there's the fact that the Vampires are not really vampires. Sure, they're strong, they're fast, they're beautiful... But I feel that the whole not bursting into flames in direct sunlight was contradicting the word "vampire." And when Edward said that he was different in the sun, I was expecting som amazing description of-- well, I actually don't know, because Meyer didn't describe it for me... In any case, her version of Edward in the sun didn't appeal at all to me. The image I got was of a muscled up man covered in body glitter...
Lastly, it had no real story. There was a conflict, yes, but it didn't really have a plot. [spoiler]She went to school for a while and then met another coven of Vamps that hunted humans instead and wanted to kill her. Edward killed James instead.[/spoiler]
And I feel that if it were going to be a trilogy, it should have been less conclusive. There should have been more questions at the end causing the readers to beg for another installment... Trilogies should have a connecting plot, and then each one should have an individual sub-plot. After I finished reading, I didn't see anything that could tie Twilight and New Moon together, except for Victoria, but there was so little development of her character that I didn't care at that point. Even the mystery of Alice was revealed in a rather cliche, cheesy way at the end of book one. I was hoping that it would stay more mysterious and the be revealed in a later book that revolved more around her.
I'm not saying the book was bad. I'm just not saying it was a great read. It was just okay, but not even close to good enough for me to want to read New Moon or Eclipse. I love vampires, but I feel bad that they were ruined by Stephanie Meyer. I don't guess I'll ever see the hype of the book.
And don't say it's all about the romance and that's why it's a girl's book because I like romance in books as well, but not even the romance scenes were written that well.
Sorry, but if I had to rate the book, it would get a [B]5 out of 10.[/B]

[quote name='Darren']And I feel that if it were going to be a trilogy, it should have been less conclusive. [/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]Actually, it's going to be a quadrilogy. :] MORE FOR ME.

And I suppose since vampires don't actually exist, people can recreate them however they want; like in some stories Elves are human-sized and in others they're like pixies. My own vampires don't automatically burst into flame in the sunlight (but that's not to say they can run around in it). How you like the representation of the vampires is entirely up to you, though. (I absolutely hated them in the book [B]Thirsty[/B]).
[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]Actually, it's going to be a quadrilogy. :] MORE FOR ME.

And I suppose since vampires don't actually exist, people can recreate them however they want; like in some stories Elves are human-sized and in others they're like pixies. My own vampires don't automatically burst into flame in the sunlight (but that's not to say they can run around in it). How you like the representation of the vampires is entirely up to you, though. (I absolutely hated them in the book [B]Thirsty[/B]).
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Can't say I've ever read that... I love the way Anne Rice tells them. I've almost read all of her vampire books and I own several of them.

Oh my gosh, this thread makes me so happy.

I am about to speed to the store and buy Eclipse. (Squee, squee, squee.) People complained about the extreme teenage girl love-angst in New Moon, but I ate it up... while it's not exactly admirable behavior, I've been there personally, and the person involved was [I]hardly[/I] my true love vampire soul mate. From that perspective, I found Bella's actions to be embarrassingly realistic.

That said, I'm hoping for MOAR EDWARD in Eclipse. :catgirl:

~Dagger~

I am happy to know that someone at least read these books. I plan to get Eclipse and hope it was as good as the others. New Moon was not that bad although Twilight had you wondering why you should continue reading it but I agree that the ending was a bit better. What does she write about in Eclipse? Summary anyone?

I hear that they are planning to make a movie out of this. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

Just finished Eclipse!

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Twilight-Book-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4768142-6212910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186525538&sr=8-1][u]Amazon[/u][/url] has a decent plot teaser, MadHatter. I'd rather not post it myself, since it spoils New Moon...

First of all, my absolute favorite part of the novel was the way it broadened the series' world. The history lessons were fascinating, and I loved learning about [spoiler]Rosalie and Jasper's pasts, the "third wife," and Sam, Emily and Leah.[/spoiler]

Now, here's the thing. In most cases, I adore [spoiler]a good love triangle.[/spoiler] But. [spoiler]This was a pretty painful book to read, especially as you get toward the end (when Meyer once again shows off her talent for bringing things to an nail-biting and twisty close, practically Harry Potter-style). I thought New Moon had run me ragged emotionally, and I'm the most surprised of all to admit that Eclipse tops it in every respect.[/spoiler]

Did I like the fact that [spoiler]Bella cared about Jacob in that way?[/spoiler] No. But did it ring 100% true for the character? Yes. [spoiler]And of course, she didn't like it any more than I did.[/spoiler] Agonizing. Jesus H. Christ, does it suck to be [spoiler]Edward. [i]And[/i] Bella. [i]And[/i] Jacob.[/spoiler] The epilogue [i]killed[/i] me, not in the least because it's kind of a cliffhanger.

I'll be back to post more when I've recovered...

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Just finished Eclipse!

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Twilight-Book-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4768142-6212910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186525538&sr=8-1][u]Amazon[/u][/url] has a decent plot teaser, MadHatter. I'd rather not post it myself, since it spoils New Moon...

First of all, my absolute favorite part of the novel was the way it broadened the series' world. The history lessons were fascinating, and I loved learning about [spoiler]Rosalie and Jasper's pasts, the "third wife," and Sam, Emily and Leah.[/spoiler]

Now, here's the thing. In most cases, I adore [spoiler]a good love triangle.[/spoiler] But. [spoiler]This was a pretty painful book to read, especially as you get toward the end (when Meyer once again shows off her talent for bringing things to an nail-biting and twisty close, practically Harry Potter-style). I thought New Moon had run me ragged emotionally, and I'm the most surprised of all to admit that Eclipse tops it in every aspect.[/spoiler]

Did I like the fact that [spoiler]Bella cared about Jacob in that way?[/spoiler] No. But did it ring 100% for the character? Yes. [spoiler]And of course, she didn't like it any more than I did.[/spoiler] Agonizing. Jesus H. Christ, does it suck to be [spoiler]Edward. [i]And[/i] Bella. [i]And[/i] Jacob.[/spoiler] The epilogue [i]killed[/i] me, not in the least because it's kind of a cliffhanger.

I'll be back to post more when I've recovered...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"]
AAAH. I'm so tempted to look under the spoiler tags but I think it might ruin my life. I've got my hand covering you're entire post as a type, haha.

So, I was super excited about going to get Eclipse today but my mom is being difficult. :[[[ I've seriously been looking forward to this for almost a year! I can't wait any more!

One of the reasons why I like this series so much is that the other obvious choice of books, Anne Rice, bores me to death. I read Interview with the Vampire and enjoyed it, but I pretty much had to trudge through all the heavy description and whatnot. I couldn't even get through the Vampire Lestat.

Anyway, I just might have to go on a rampage if I don't get my hands on Eclipse soon.[/FONT]

Good luck with getting your hands on it!

As an aside, there are some great humorous moments in Eclipse. I can't remember if Twilight or New Moon were particularly funny, as it's been a while since I read them, but the occasional comic relief came as a tremendous relief (heh) this time around.

I'm thinking of making this the next book-snippet in my sig:

[size=1]His eyes narrowed slightly. "But I [i]am[/i] a werewolf," he said unwillingly. "And he [i]is[/i] a vampire," he added with obvious revulsion.
"And I'm a Virgo!" I shouted, exasperated.[/size]

:animesmil

~Dagger~

[FONT="Arial"]OH. MY. GOD.

I have so many different reasons to be depressed right now. :[

My mom took me to the mall the day after Eclipse's release, and I managed to get it for only $13, which surprised me. I was afraid I would finish the book not too long after I first opened it, but I think I was subconsciously forcing myself to savor it.

Anyway, I power-read today and just finished it. I had high hopes that [spoiler]Bella would finally be changed in this one, leaving the fourth book for a story about her new life. I really expected this to happen, too, given the name of the book and the cover art. ESPECIALLY THE COVER ART. >:[[/spoiler]

I don't think I've ever been so heavily affected by suspense, though, not even in movies and whatnot. From the moment [spoiler]Edward freaked out and flew Bella out of their clearing to protect her from Victoria,[/spoiler] I could feel my heart beating. Haha, I think my eyes were wide with concern through that entire scene.

Sometime else that caught me off guard was [spoiler]the one human experience Bella didn't want to miss. I realized what it was before she tried to get Edward to do it, and for whatever reason I read those pages lightning fast.[/spoiler] It was pretty amusing. :]

I was horrified when [spoiler]Bella realized she was [i]in love[/i] with Jacob. I was certain she wouldn't leave Edward, but I just couldn't get over her feelings.[/spoiler] I think I'm fine now, but maaaaan. I panicked.

Okay, now that I've knocked out the most interesting book of the year (for me, I'm pretty sure), I don't really have much keeping me from writing again. When I finished Twilight, all my own vampire characters were born.

I don't want to jinx it, but I'm pretty sure you all can expect a new story from me sometime soon. >:]]]
[SIZE="1"]
And I realized something sort of funny while reading today. One of my own characters is named Edward Black. I admit, I did get his first name from the Twilight books, but I never noticed that he shared his last name with Bella's lesser love interest. I swear, that was completely unintentional. :/[/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1]That's awesome. I'm totally picturing a Cullen-Black hybrid right now. Like... a gigantic Edward who gets mad really easily. XD[/size]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]I was horrified when [spoiler]Bella realized she was [i]in love[/i] with Jacob. I was certain she wouldn't leave Edward, but I just couldn't get over her feelings.[/spoiler] I think I'm fine now, but maaaaan. I panicked.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Same here! I [i]knew[/i] there was no way that a series which has been built around [spoiler]Edward/Bella[/spoiler] from the very beginning would change that drastically, but I still couldn't help getting disproportionately distraught over it.

I also hoped that [spoiler]Bella would change[/spoiler] in this book, but at least it didn't happen toward the very end, leaving us all in (even worse) suspense. I'm curious about how Ms. Meyer will handle it. The first three books each take place in a relatively short period of time. Once [spoiler]Bella changes,[/spoiler] will the story linger on [spoiler]her struggle to control herself during the first few years[/spoiler] or fast-forward?

Apparently sales have been fabulous, but that's no surprise.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I just finished [I]Eclipse[/I]!!!! Sweet God Jesus!!! This has so far proved to be one of the best series o books I have ever read. I started the series because a friend of mine recomemded [I]Twilight[/I]. The day after I finished [I]Twilight[/I], I went and bought [I]New Moon[/I] and [I]Eclipse[/I].

I almost threw my book through a window when [SPOILER]Jacob kissed Bella. I totally wanted Edward to come out of nowhere and snap Jacob in half, truce or none.[/SPOILER] I was so bent out of shape over the whole [SPOILER]Bella loving Jacob [I]and[/I] Edward thing[/SPOILER] that I refused to sleep untill it was resolved in my mind. And although I knew it was going to happen, I almost cried when [SPOILER]Edward asked Bella to marry him. I absolutly loved the words he used..."'Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever--- every single day of forever. Will you marry me?'"[/SPOILER] Not the most romantic thing in the world, but romantic enough to affect me.[/FONT]

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name='MadHatter']*wow, long wait*

Thank you. Do you have any idea how many books are in this series???[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"]
I think there are just four regarding Bella's story. There will be at least one more book after Breaking Dawn, which is the events of Twilight told by Edward: "Midnight Sun." The first chapter is on Stephenie Meyer's website.

I really hope there will be more books in the franchise, though.[/FONT]

[size=1]I've read Twilight and New Moon... not in such a hurry to read Eclipse. This series is all the rage at my school, it's almost sickening. So far I'm not particularly captivated or turned-off by these books.
I think the story is decent, and Stephanie Meyer can make words flow. I just don't really like the portrayal of vampires, though Edward sounds like a total yum. ;)
It's a somewhat entertaining read. Not one of my favorites, but I still want to read the rest.

I just get annoyed by how much Bella [spoiler]switched between Edward and Jacob in New Moon. She like, makes the whole big deal of, "Oh Jacob, I like you, but I'm a broken woman... you don't want me..." and he OBVIOUSLY does.[/spoiler] :p

I just think Edward and Jacob should get together. That would solve the whole problem. *fantasizes* :)[/size]

[quote name='Fyxe'][size=1]I just get annoyed by how much Bella [spoiler]switched between Edward and Jacob in New Moon. She like, makes the whole big deal of, "Oh Jacob, I like you, but I'm a broken woman... you don't want me..." and he OBVIOUSLY does.[/spoiler] :p[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]I remember Bella [spoiler]getting closer to Jacob[/spoiler] in New Moon, but not necessarily the quote (or any version of it). I haven't read it in a long while, though, and I don't really plan on reading it again anytime soon (because what you just mentioned makes me really mad, xD. NM is my least favorite in the series).

It becomes even worse in Eclipse, but [spoiler]at least the vampires are IN that one. Bella's "love you like a brother" stance changes. Big time. So there's this one part in Eclipse that's super intense just because of her split emotions.[/spoiler]

I was actually scared during that part. I was like [spoiler]"PICK EDWARD. PICK EDWARD. PICK EDWEEEEERD."[/spoiler][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[url=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117976113.html?categoryid=13&cs=1][u]Some Twilight movie news[/u][/url]

That girl doesn't really scream Bella to me, but then again, it's hard to describe someone who would look like Bella. More importantly, I want to know who's playing Edward. :p

~Dagger~

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][quote name='Fyxe'][size=1]
I just think Edward and Jacob should get together. That would solve the whole problem. *fantasizes* :)[/size][/QUOTE]

That's also a good way to solve the hateration going on between vampires and werewolves. ;)

I bought [I]Twilight[/I] about a month or two ago, because I needed a good book to read. It was the worst decision I ever made! I am now addicted to the series. I bought the other two books on Saturday because I went on a shopping trip to the States, and I made another bad move and started to read New Moon. I finished it at about 3 am this morning... I am so tempted to read [I]Eclipse[/I], but I should be finishing my psyc paper that was due at 5 today.:animestun

But, this series is just too good! Vampires, werewolves, being on someone's hit list...why can't my life be that interesting? lol But, I would have so slapped Edward for [spoiler]leaving[/spoiler] if I were Bella. And poor Jake! [spoiler]If she doesn't want him, I'll gladly take him![/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]OMFG. SWEET.

I was hoping Stephenie Meyer's main choice for Bella, Emily Browning (from Series of Unfortunate Events) would be cast, though. You're right, Dagger, she doesn't really strike me as Bella-ish.

And I think Gaspard Ulliel would be the most perfect choice for Edward. Oh my goodness.
[/FONT]
[CENTER][IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/EternallyFadingBeauty/Gaspard%20Ulliel/01gaspard.jpg[/IMG]
[size=1]He's even DRESSED like Edward![/size][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]Dear God I was happy to find this thread. Not a lot of people I know have read the books so it's always refreshing to find someone that shares a common interest.

So far, I 've read all three books in the series and impatiently await the final one, Breaking Dawn. Oh, and I'm not sure if you've heard, but the movie is something that's got me all rabid fan girlish. I am extremely excited about it.

As for Mrs. Meyers casting, apparently the production crew did take note of it but as Mrs. Meyers always claims that she has no say in who will be cast and they will be more concerned with acting talent; looks are always secondary. So far the casting of Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan did mildly disappoint me but if during the movie she can convince me, I've no problem in believing she's Bella. The crew has also visited the city of Forks to discuss the scenery and locations that will be used for the picture.

[URL="http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20070926/NEWS/709260302"][U]Peninsula Daily News[/U][/URL]

Besides that, I am hoping that they choose Steven Strait as "older, New Moon" Jacob. He is the only one I can see portraying that sexy beast.[/FONT]

I didn't know this thread existed until today... O_o

I bought Twilight on a whim, and loved every word of it. I read both New Moon and Eclipse in Chapters (^_^) but I'm buying them when they're in paperback.

When I read Twilight, I used to visualize Edward as Kaname Kuran (from the Vampire Knight manga), until I realized Edward's hair was reddish brown. Their personalities are just so similar! So when I read the Twilight series, I now imagine Edward as Chihiro Aoi (from Hoshi wa Utau) but with bronze hair. I also visualize Rosalie as Ruka (from Vampire Knight), because she fits Rosalie's description so well.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=arial]OMGOMGOMG

[url]http://stepheniemeyer.com/twilight_movie.html[/url]

THEY CAST EDWARD.

It's definitely not who I wanted, and I can't really see Edward in that guy based on his picture. He looks kind of like a jerk.

Oh well, this doesn't change how friggin' excited I am for this movie.

EDIT- Oh, apparently this is Cedric Diggory.[/font]

My friends were unimpressed by that particular bit of casting. Can't say I feel positively about it, either, but I won't write him off just yet. I hope they get the rest of the Cullens right, though (especially Rosalie and Alice--for some reason I have a much stronger image of them than of the three men).

~Dagger~