OtakuBoards

Handicap Battles: Back in Black

Delta

[INDENT][COLOR=#35425e][CENTER][IMG]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8025/hbjn0.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1]The tournament you'd love to hate is back and it's badder than ever. Think you can survive a round in the most frustrating graphics tournament to ever have graced OB?

[COLOR="Black"][b]Who can join?[/b][/COLOR]
The event’s open to all OB members with absolutely nothing to do in the next, oh, 4 weeks. To join this tournament, just reply to this thread and say you want in. Dead simple.

[COLOR="Black"][b]Tournament Format[/b][/COLOR]
Handicap Battles! will implement the sudden death tournament format where only the winner of a match will advance to the next round. A preliminary elimination round will be held before the tournament proper to winnow the numbers down to a manageable number. The bracket will be released as soon as that round is concluded.

[COLOR="Black"][b]Rounds and Matches[/b][/COLOR]
A thread will be created by the Tournament Presider (moi) for each match. The participants will be given 72 hours to create, post and edit their entries.
[INDENT] • Should there be an odd number of participants after a round is concluded, a pre-round match will be held between the two lowest-seeded participants.
• Seeding will be based on the total number of votes the participant garnered in all of the previous rounds. [/INDENT]

[COLOR="Black"][b]Handicaps[/b][/COLOR]
Aside from the deadline, the tournament presider will also place a set of restrictions/“handicaps” on submissions for each round. These restrictions may range anywhere from size limits to a total ban on certain graphics elements.
[INDENT] • [strike]To make the game a bit more interesting, handicaps of the previous rounds will be carried over to the new round.[/strike]
• There will be no new handicaps in pre-round matches.
• All questions about the handicaps should be raised in this thread.[/INDENT]

[COLOR="Black"][b]Special Rules[/b][/COLOR]
These are rules which modify the standing laws of the tournament. The alloted time, the voting requirements and even the elimination process could all be nullified with the right rules in place.

[COLOR="Black"][b]Voting[/b][/COLOR]
A 120-hour (5-day) voting period will begin immediately after the deadline. All members can vote, except for the two participants of the match. The tournament presider can only vote in the case of a tie.

Members must post a paragraph of at least three sentences about the entry they’re going to vote for, and one sentence of constructive criticism for the other entry. It’s a pretty simple format so if a member fails to follow it, he/she will be sent a PM by the Tournament Presider and will be given the rest of the voting period to edit his/her vote. His/her vote will be invalidated if it still isn't of the prescribed format by the end of the voting period.

[COLOR="Black"][b]Grounds for Elimination[/b][/COLOR]
[INDENT] • One loss
• Failure to comply with the handicaps
• Failure to meet the deadline
• Elimination via special ruling[/INDENT]

Please direct all your questions regarding Handicap Battles! in this thread. I'll try my best to answer them as quickly and completely as I can.

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]+=+=+=+=+[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"][b]Who's In[/b][/COLOR]
Disenchanted
boothten
jigglyness
Ezekiel
Retribution
Boo
Amnesiac Kaiten[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I don't want to come off as bitchy or anything, but I'd like to offer some advice. I remember being one of the regulators or something for the last handicap battles, and the handicaps were deicdedly lame. I'm just suggesting more challenging or greater handicaps. :)[/font]

[quote name='Sirius'][INDENT][COLOR=#35425e][CENTER][IMG]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8025/hbjn0.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="Black"][b]Handicaps[/b][/COLOR]
Aside from the deadline, the tournament presider will also place a set of restrictions/“handicaps” on submissions for each round. These restrictions may range anywhere from size limits to a total ban on certain graphics elements.
[INDENT] • To make the game a bit more interesting, handicaps of the previous rounds will be carried over to the new round.[/indent][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT][/QUOTE]
[size=1]As I recall, that was the worst thing about last time. No clue how I ended up there in one of the last rounds, but we had the same handicaps as the round before. That was not a challenge of skill or anything, that was 100% annoying. So it wasn't just lame. It was god awful. If you promise not to make two following rounds with the handicaps "150x500, only black & white" again, I'll join in for the heck of it.[/size]

[COLOR=#35425e][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Hey, everyone.

I have to leave for the hinterlands and will be staying there for a month and a half. Because of this, I'm going to have to CANCEL this year's Handicap Battles.

...Unless one of you is willing to host it. We're talking about the chance to steer this baby into another evi-- err, direction. To those interested in hosting this event, please PM me.

In the event that no one's willing to take up the torch, I can only wish you dear artists good luck in the upcoming [B][COLOR="Red"]OB Graphics Tournament[/COLOR][/B]... There will be one, will there? I mean, somebody's gotta rip that crown off Retribution's head. :naughty:

Thank you very much for showing interest in this project of mine and I hope you'll continue supporting all future tournaments in Art Studio.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sirius'][COLOR=#35425e][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]In the event that no one's willing to take up the torch, I can only wish you dear artists good luck in the upcoming [B][COLOR="Red"]OB Graphics Tournament[/COLOR][/B]... There will be one, will there? I mean, somebody's gotta rip that crown off Retribution's head. :naughty:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]Oh come on, where's the love? :p

Now that you mention the OBGT, I think I should probably start getting that on the road soon-ish.[/font]