OtakuBoards

Podcasts, Anyone?

Shy

[size=1]Simple question. Simple thread. I'm basically addicted to the things, so I was wondering what podcasts you listen to. Also I was curious if anyone here has ever tried starting (or currently is running) their own podcast. Discuss!

[indent][b][url=http://grammar.qdnow.com/]Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing[/url][/b]: Also short and sweet. The tone is very conversational, so I don't feel like I'm being talked down to or anything. Writing is obviously a passion of mine, and grammar is one area in particular I feel like I can improve on.

[b][url=http://www.ifanboy.com]iFanboy.com Comic Book Podcast[/url][/b]: A weekly round-up and conversation about comic books. The guys who produce it have a genuine passion for the stuff, and they always manage to inject a lot of humor into it as well.

[b][url=http://biggaynews.com/]Big Gay News[/url][/b]: A daily 10-15 minute podcast covering gay-centric news of the day. I follow a lot of news blogs as well regarding this topic, but this is something I can listen to on the way to work.

[b][url=http://www.npr.org]Talk of the Nation[/b][/url]: I subscribe to a lot of National Public Radio programs through podcasting, but TotN is the one I listen to the most. They cover a very wide range of topics in their daily broadcast, discussing everything from pop-culture to politics in an entertaining and informative way. Science Fridays and the Political Junkie are my favorite regular features.

[b][url=http://podcasts.thestranger.com/savagelove]The Savage Lovecast[/url][/b] Dan Savage is a nationally syndicated sex advice columnist, and this is his weekly podcast. The questions he gets from listeners/readers can be downright hillarious sometimes, and I love the straightforward way he answers them. Needless to say this podcast can be very adult at times, but it's not nearly as bad as his weekly column.

[b][url=http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Podcast.aspx]This American Life[/url][/b]: This American Life is a fixture on public radio, and recently it has been adapted into a television series on Showtime. Each episode focuses on a different topic, and then three completely different personal stories are told based on that topic. Sometimes the stories are funny, others poignant, others downright stupid, but it's always great to listen to.[/indent]

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've only ever listened to one podcast, though it was the most recent and I intend to follow it from there. It's the [B]Mistakes of Youth[/B] podcast for the webcomic/blog Mistakes of Youth run by the legendary [B]Wildarmsheero[/B]. It's long and boring and I doubt many would like it XD[/COLOR]

[font=Arial]I used to listen to the BBC podcast religiously, but I gave it up during the British hostage crisis when I saw the reporting was getting to be really slanted.

In general, I don't find [informational] podcasts to be all that convenient. Sure, if you're on your way to work they're great, but you can't listen to them while surfing the internet like you could with music. In the end, I wind up spending more time listening to something I could've read in five minutes.

Some podcasts are interesting enough to listen to actively. I found a few on Radiohead and another that played banned cartoons, both of which were pretty cool.

I personally can't wait until local radio stations broadcast a live podcast of what is on air. Much more convenient, for me at least.[/font]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]Simple question. Simple thread. I'm basically addicted to the things, so I was wondering what podcasts you listen to. Also I was curious if anyone here has ever tried starting (or currently is running) their own podcast. Discuss![/size][/QUOTE]To be honest, I never listen to podcasts. lol It's just not a format that I enjoy. That and I'm always doing things that require multi-tasking so even if I try to listen to one I end up tuning it out instead. So I just quit trying to listen to them and put music on since it doesn't matter if I tune out the song. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Mugglecast.

What? It's interesting, funny, relative to my interests, and the Pokemon refrences are so rediculous that they begin to make sense after a while.

Actually, that's the only one I'm really big into, but Japanesepod101.com is starting to grow on me and, hey, I need my language credits.

Also, Some friends and I are trying to start our own, but we can't seem to get it off the ground.

I tried listening to the podcast over at theOtaku and truth be known, I didn't really care for it. Though since it's the only one I've listened to I'm sure there are some out there that are fun. In general though I usually don't listen to talk shows or radio shows either. So I'd probably have to really like the content to actually listen to one on a regular basis. Since in the end, I'd rather just read the content instead of listening to someone talking.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]I used to listen to the [B]Gamespot[/B] podcast, but after awhile I just got tired of hearing a bunch of geek's acting stupid. So, I eventually got out of the thing's.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=darkblue][size=1]I currently only listen to theO's podcast, mostly out of habit. I've grown accustomed to Ichigo and Batou's mannerisms, so they don't bug me as much as they used to, lol.

As it happens, me and my friends are planning on starting a podcast this year. We tried last year, but due to lack of organization, it pretty much fell apart. Fortunately, I did some actual research this summer and found out some really good (and useful) information, so I think we might stand a fighting chance this time, hehe.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Kei'][color=darkblue][size=1]I currently only listen to theO's podcast, mostly out of habit. I've grown accustomed to Ichigo and Batou's mannerisms, so they don't bug me as much as they used to, lol.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]Meh, I've never gotten past the [U]they annoy the hell out of me[/U] stage. So I quit listening to them. XP I'm sure there must be a podcast somewhere that is good, but for the most part I find them kind of boring since I'd rather read the material instead of listening to someone attempt to tell it in a funny manner. :animesigh [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm sure there must be a podcast somewhere that is good, but for the most part I find them kind of boring since I'd rather read the material instead of listening to someone attempt to tell it in a funny manner. :animesigh [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1]I listen to a lot of public/talk radio, so I guess I'm used to getting my information that way. Of course, most of the informative podcasts I subscribe to are extremely brief. More than anything else they're for entertainment.

As for theOtaku's podcast, yeah... I was shocked by all of the swearing when I listened to it for the first time. I'm not sure if every episode is like that, but it definitely turned me off.

Kei: What kind of podcast are you trying to create?

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]As for theOtaku's podcast, yeah... I was shocked by all of the swearing when I listened to it for the first time. I'm not sure if every episode is like that, but it definitely turned me off.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Oh you just gotta love the irony. Just take note of the very first rule at theOtaku/myOtaku's site guidelines: [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/site/terms/"][U]Rules[/U][/URL] Can we say hypocrisy? Or I suppose it's a typo that Adam forgot the part about swearing is okay if it's in the podcast. :rolleyes:

Seriously though I use to recommend myO/theO to my friends but not after one of my friends was listening to the podcast on her computer and her mother heard those guys tossing the F world back and forth. That earned her an instant ban from that site completely. So I don't bother to recommend it anymore.

Anyway, I'm sure there's one out there that's fun to listen to. But theOtaku.com's podcast is definately not it. Which is really a shame, since for those episodes that they manage to actually not swear, they are actually funny. :animesigh [/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Shy: Well, it's a bit of a variety podcast, really. We intend it to be primarily for the gamer audience, what with us doing commentary on a lot of games, but we also plan to cover news and a few other things outside the genre. We're still trying to figure out how to make everything flow well, though.

Aaryanna: I was a bit like you at first in regards to the podcast. However, I just chalked it up to Adam not wanting to step on their toes as far as their creativity goes. As far as I know, we're not paying them to do the podcast, so I think it's even trade to let them say what they want in return.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also listen to [url=http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/]2 Sense[/url] as well. It's mainly a humour podcast for the anthro community, but everyone can listen to it. However, there is a boatload of profanity throughout, hence the warning buffer at the front of every show, heh.[/color][/size]

[color=#007520][quote name='Shy'][size=1][b][url=http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Podcast.aspx]This American Life[/url][/b]: This American Life is a fixture on public radio, and recently it has been adapted into a television series on Showtime. Each episode focuses on a different topic, and then three completely different personal stories are told based on that topic. Sometimes the stories are funny, others poignant, others downright stupid, but it's always great to listen to.[/size][/QUOTE]I saw a few episodes of This American Life and thought it was smart, clean, and genuinely entertaining. I didn't know that it originated as a podcast, but now that I do, I can definately see how it could have been.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I tried listening to the podcast over at theOtaku and truth be known, I didn't really care for it. //snip// I'd rather just read the content instead of listening to someone talking.[/QUOTE]I tried to listen to theOtaku podcast when it first came out, and I didn't find it all that enticing. I just can't put my finger on why...

Reading on a monitor for too long hurts my eyes and I don't usually have much time to spend in front of the computer. Listening to the podcasts is a great way to get information while doing other things. Sometimes I listen while I was the dishes, sometimes while on the way to work.

That leads me, finally, to my list.

I have three main podcasts that I listen to, but two out of three come out rather infrequently and have almost lost my listenership.

[size=1][indent][b][url=http://bigbaldbroadcast.blogspot.com/]The Big Bald Broadcast[/url][/b] with Kyle Hebert and Otherworld Steve is usually worth a listen when I want to hear about generally nerdy news. They've talked about Comc Books, Scifi (mostly Star Wars), Anime, Video Games, and whatever else nerdy that I forgot. Hebert is a voice actor and Otherworld is an Anime Journalist so they have their connections in the industry for information that most fans don't get right away.

[b][url=http://ds.vgpodcasts.com/]DS:Life[/url][/b] with Lloyd Hannesson and Edgar Furse is a sporadically released podcast about the Nintendo DS by DS Fans. They talk about games and news, and try to answer listener questions, but since they've had a few technical issues, they've only begun to make podcasts since the end of May.

[b][url=http://1upyours.1up.com/]1UP Yours[/url][/b] with Garnett Lee, John Davison, Shane Bettenhausen, Mark MacDonald, and Andrew "Skip" Pfister on the audio board is a roundtable discussion from the editors of 1UP Magazine. They talk about news in the video game world and, more often than not, argue about it. They're a funny bunch to listen to, and since they're actually paid by Ziff Davis Media, they have superior sound quality, and come out very regularly.

[b][url=http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462]The 1UP Show[/url][/b] is a video podcast that comes out everyweek that features the Editors from 1UP Magazine having discussions about Video Games. It's a good place to hear about new Games without having to search around different sites for videos, previews, and reviews.[/indent][/size]-r2[/color]

Well, I listen to The Otaku podcast whenever it comes out. Although I can see how it could annoy some people, the way they interact with each other is the exact same as me and my friends. So if this annoyed me, i would get as annoyed at my friends and I don't do that.

I also tried to get into the WOW podcast, and anime-pulse, but pretty much fell off of them...I don't like very long podcasts.