OtakuBoards

Think you can predict stuff?

Tetra of sound

Guest The Blue Jihad
I predict most of you are going to die alone. Or as virgins. Or both. Either way, I'm predicting your deaths to be utterly painful.

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="darkslategray"]Now being killed while having sex, is a death I can live with.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Prem/Rev, In that situation... You want to die [I]after [/I]you're done. XP Especially if you're still a virgin.

As for dying alone or as a virgin? The only option left for me is dying alone, though I suppose it being painful is still an option. And I predict that regardless of what it is, I will someday die. [[SIZE="1"]about the only thing I can predict that I know will come true lol[/SIZE]]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Psychics and the lot are all huge hoaxes that waste our time and money. They're (at times) artfully skilled conmen/women that take advantage of the weak-minded and sometimes with very harmful results. It greatly frustrates me when this occurs, of course. Here's an example of one that i remember quite well and is particularly infuriating.

Sylvia Brown, a popular 'psychic' that appears on some talk shows (the Montel Williams show in this case), one day talked to two parents whose child had been kidnapped and presumed dead. Coming to her, in a weakened and emotionally fragile state, they asked her if she could sense his presence somewhere in the land of the dead (she typically did the 'i see dead people' thing, much like John Edward) and Sylvia Brown reported back that their child was indeed dead. She then continued to describe the alleged murderer and kidnapper...which was quite funny if not very sad. Her description of the man was entirely wrong. This was a huge blow to the parents!! What's debatably worse is that she gave a description of the location as to where they might find their son?s body. The cops took this information and changed their search patterns. This hindered the investigation of the missing child and put him in danger, seeing as the cops were now looking in the wrong place according to a psychic and the wishes of the gullible parents. This caused tax payers money, of course, and took away time from the police involved and so on and so on.

Luckily, some time after the Sylvia Brown deal their son actually was found alive and well. Sylvia

Brown is a horrible exploiter of the emotionally fragile, and she makes tons of money off of it. This is partly why i dislike psychics so much.

James Randi is the founder of the million dollar challenge. Basically he's challenging any psychic (or proponent of any paranormal event) out there to be tested scientifically, and if proven to be legit, will get a million dollars. To this day nobody has claimed the prize. I wonder why. Here?s a link to the site: [URL="http://www.randi.org/research/index.html"]Link[/URL]

Psychics and the lot are all fakes and deviants. People that believe in such are gullible and are doing more harm than they realize by perpetuating this harmful hoax. It's a true shame that the world is riddled with such con artists.

Also, here's a link to the Sylvia Brown story, the guy who does the site does a much better job than I at revealing her as what she is. [URL="http://www.stopsylviabrowne.com/articles/montel_shawnhornbeck2.shtml"]Link number two[/URL]

What gets me is that people who believe in psychics probably won?t be fazed by something like this. They continue believing what they want to believe ignorantly thinking that no harm can come from it.

And by the way, astrology is of the same vein, though admittedly less harmful.

Sorry if i came off as a bit mean. Most of you out there don't believe in this stuff, but some do and i kinda felt like writing all of this anyways. Gotta contribute to the fight! =D

Later.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[INDENT][COLOR="Pink"][B][FONT="Georgia"]This world is full of mysteries and such, but in my opinion; it's just using common sense and instinct. I will admit there are times when a lot of coincidence occurs and you're like, "What the heck". It gets you thinking that you have the gift to tell you something going to happen (I call it a hunch, not that trivial.).

For instance, when my left eye twitches; it means something bad is going to happen and it usaully does end up that way. But if I analyze it, then I realise that me thinking that something bad is going to happen...had an affect. So if I believed, then I'm bound to do something to cuase it. It may sound confusing to all of you OB members and sorry if it does. First time typing such an explanation on a message board!

In conclusion, I belive it's all mere coincidence mixed with human behavoir. It's like when you go to a huanted place, you immediately start to build up fear and get paranoid. Well something like that and if you're confused...well you can:

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Call me now! First ten minutes free and I'll tell you about your life![/CENTER] [/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/INDENT]

[quote name='Momo'][INDENT][COLOR="Pink"][B][FONT="Georgia"]

For instance, when my left eye twitches; it means something bad is going to happen and it usually does end up that way. But if I analyze it, then I realize that me thinking that something bad is going to happen...had an affect. So if I believed, then I'm bound to do something to cause it. It may sound confusing to all of you OB members and sorry if it does. First time typing such an explanation on a message board!
[/CENTER] [/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Not confusing at all. I totally get what you're saying and probably even thought of making the point at least once while writing my previous post.

This is actually observed a lot by people. If you get in your mind that something bad happens by a certain uncorrelated occurrence then you'll get it in your mind and therefore make it more likely to happen. Plus you'll also be more aware, you'll actually start actively searching for what you're expecting to happen. And when you find it you'll offer it as proof that whatever gave it away works, like your eye twitching.

This was observed in much earlier peoples as well in the form of rain dances. These people that made it up didn't just come up with it out of thin air. What happened is one day these people danced and it rained, they noticed the correlation and remembered it. The next time it happened it validated what they thought of the last time it successfully happened. The keyword here is successfully. It's very likely that they danced a number of times inbetween the two rains, but it's only when it was successful that they took any notice. And at that point they decided that dancing causes rain, therefore they started to dance when they wanted it to rain. This trait can also be observed in dogs! You ring a bell, dog gets a treat! Do it enough and you better have a dang treat the next time the doorbell rings! =D

Once again, another place this occurs is in different fields of alternative medicine such as: homeopathy, natural remedies, and chiropractory. People have a disease or something and they get it treated with some sort of bull crap alternative medicine and when they get cured they automatically assume it worked. When in truth a number of reasons could be responsible for this. Also, when it doesn't work they don't determine that the alternative medicine is ineffective, they either ignore it completely or simply incur that they did something wrong or that the alternative medicine is a mysterious thing that doesn't work for everybody or some crap like that.

Anyways, sorry I got off topic. I just hate all the pseudosciences. Also… I don’t think I do that great of a job chastising them so I like to practice. ;D[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]The problem with parapsychology is that the two camps are so heavily divided any evidence of psychic phenomena is lauded by supporters and grilled openly by skeptics. This overbearing enthusiasm trickles down to supporters in either camp (The13thMan is proper evidence for this). Skilled con men abuse the enigmatic nature of parapsychology and take advantage of people. It's a bad show all around.

Personally I can't really predict much in an unusual way. I plan but that's very mundane.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]The problem with parapsychology is that the two camps are so heavily divided any evidence of psychic phenomena is lauded by supporters and grilled openly by skeptics. This overbearing enthusiasm trickles down to supporters in either camp (The13thMan is proper evidence for this). Skilled con men abuse the enigmatic nature of parapsychology and take advantage of people. It's a bad show all around.

Personally I can't really predict much in an unusual way. I plan but that's very mundane.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Are you taking the so-called "grilling" of skeptics as a negative?

It's very important for those skeptical to critically analyze the psychic phenomena. It needs to go through the scientific method and peer-review before it can be rightfully accepted. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, as Carl Sagan was once quoted. If someone's going to claim psychic abilities they better have some proof of it, otherwise nobody can take them seriously... or shouldn't. I'm not saying don't look at it with a level of interest, but take it for what it is, be smart.

I would love it if psychics were real, i really would. There's just no proof or even anything remotely resembling proof out there. Nothing but vague predictions interpreted to mean what believers want them to. In a life full of limitless possibilities some of these predictions have to come true somewhere and sometime. It's the probability of random chance.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Are you taking the so-called "grilling" of skeptics as a negative? [/quote][/color][/font]

[color=crimson]Skeptics are necessary. I specifically refer to the more sardonic and acidic skepticism that borders on derision - "The [b]overbearing enthusiasm[/b]..." of supporters in either camp, not the entire group of supporters or skeptics. Individuals who are so certain that anomalies that arise in studies are concrete, factual proof of psychics are also within that.

I am touched by your empathy and advice to be smart. I will take it into firm consideration the next time I have to repeat my points in a post due to poor reading comprehension on the part of others.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][/color][/font]

[color=crimson]Skeptics are necessary. I specifically refer to the more sardonic and acidic skepticism that borders on derision - "The [b]overbearing enthusiasm[/b]..." of supporters in either camp, not the entire group of supporters or skeptics. Individuals who are so certain that anomalies that arise in studies are concrete, factual proof of psychics are also within that.

I am touched by your empathy and advice to be smart. I will take it into firm consideration the next time I have to repeat my points in a post due to poor reading comprehension on the part of others.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Indeed, skeptics are necessary. It seems there are too few, though.

Extremes in any group, be it skeptical or gullible, republican or democrat, are always a bad thing. Hah...or perhaps almost always (trying not to be too extreme here). Those so skeptical to the point that they are actually condescending upon those that do believe are cocky arrogant jerks that need to lighten up. Spiritualists that whole-heartedly believe in psychics and other pseudosciences to the point of putting their lives in danger need to lighten up as well.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Dude, this is stupid, but I can predict what song will play next on my MP3 player when its on random. But only if I listen to Queen. I'm serious. I had it going to the point where I was correct with the next song 6 times in a row, then I started trying hard to be right and lost it. But it was creepy...and stupid.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Farto the Magic'][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Dude, this is stupid, but I can predict what song will play next on my MP3 player when its on random. But only if I listen to Queen. I'm serious. I had it going to the point where I was correct with the next song 6 times in a row, then I started trying hard to be right and lost it. But it was creepy...and stupid.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]It sure is a good thing that psychic powers come in completely useless forms, otherwise people might actually be able to put them to good use like preventing major world catastrophes (9/11?) or playing the lotto! Lolz!

One time i prayed for it to snow really hard the next day because i didn't want to take my weekly spelling test. I promised god to study my spelling words all day instead of playing in the snow if he helped me out. I woke up the next morning and everything was white with snow and school was cancelled. My 7 year old self was amazed. Needless to say, i ended up watching sonic the hedgehog and playing in the snow. Maybe that's why god has abandoned me! =P

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Well being one of the few drivers in my HHA company and it being my weekend off I can predict that when I go in for my check tomorrow afternoon someone's going to try and get me to work this weekend.

It's one of those things that happens to me every weekend. Heh, either I'm gonna get asked tomorrow afternoon. Or next weekend when it is my weekend to work someone's going to get confused and ask me to work.

Either way I foresee work in my future.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Tetra of sound']Do you think you can predict things? It doesn't matter how far or how close it is from now, I would love to hear them! I think one thing will eventually happen, and none(that I know.) can deny it. Eventually, all the unpopular people will rise up to defeat the evil popular people of the future!!! Those who disagree will regret denying it when it happens. Enough of me, though, it is your turn to predict stuff![/QUOTE]

Too easy, way too easy. But, it only works well when you know someone at least a little, for example I couldn't accurately predict anything for any of you now, but in a few months I could do something and then tell you what your reactions would be before you post.

Divination is not magic at all, even though in high fantasy it is usually associated with extensive magic in reality it isn't magic at all. I know for a fact that I do not use magic at all, and yet I still can at times predict something with scary accuracy. It's not something that if you ask me to predict your future I will be able to, it is one of those where I really have to know the person to be able to predict what will happen to them, and it typically is scenario-dependent.

I've done it a fair number of times, including the death and rebirth of an entire forum, and minor everyday predictions such as predicting accurately what someone's response to something I say will be. It's really easy when you know what to look for, and having practiced for so long I sometimes will do this without even trying to.

The underlying power of it is understanding the mind of the person or group you are making the prediction for. If you know how they will react you can tell them something that will cause them to take action in such a way that your 'prophecy' is fulfilled, because in a sense you put the idea in their head in such a way that they would cause it to happen themselves.

Even Harry Potter has that connection- the prophecy that set the stage for the series, if the main villain had never heard that prophecy it would never have been fulfilled, but because he heard it he took an action that caused it to be fulfilled.

Even a power like mine though, would not have been able to stop 9/11. That was completely out of the blue, the only possibility is if I had been near one of the terrorists before it happened, I would have figured out what they were up to. Even a truly divine power might not have detected and stopped it in time.

:sleepy:I can predict things but only when i'm sleeping i onced had a dream i got an "F" on my homework because it had no name and when i woke up i was absolutely write but i could have uncounciosly remembered and my brian involentarilly brought it to light. Other then that i can't even figure out what's for dinner.:sleepy:

• 2 months later...
[color=#9933ff]Haven't read all of them in here yet, but I once had a dream that I wasn't allowed to be in band and it wasn't on my schedule.

The next day I got my preliminary schedule for the school year and I didn't have band on it. I couldn't be in the band class that year. I practiced on my own and only played in the concert with the band.[/color]

[quote name='Tetra of sound']I can predict 1 more thing: YOU WILL ALL DIE!!! Kiddin. Tough, seriously, we all will eventually unless someone discovers the Fountain of Youth.[/QUOTE]

I've seen my death. However, I didn't see just one. I saw many possible deaths, any of which are just as likely to happen as the next time I see it. Something like that usually takes the form of a dream, in order to capture the full details of what you are seeing. And it is kind of a useless prediction when you get 20 others that are all just as possible.

What interests me the most is when I will predict what someone will say before they have said it, because sometimes I will say it before they do and give the illusion that I am reading their mind. I'm not the only one to use that trick actually, and some people I know do the same thing to me from time to time.

It's not mystic or even a matter of faith. Prophecy is kind of like rocket science, once you learn the rules of how it works you can use it whenever.

[SIZE="1"]I predict that within two decades (so in the year 2027), people will have micro-computers installed in their body; possibly within their bloodstream. The reason for this is that computers will eventually become more intelligent than humans. Computers already have the ability, though it is still developing, to understand human speech patterns. Once they can understand the idea of realizing one's self, they will in turn realize their own existence and their abilities.

Of course, computers are programmed by humans, so some people don't believe that they would be able to become dominant over humans. However, programming of computers will become so advanced that computers may even be able to understand the programming of themselves (referencing to the aforementioned self-realization). Micro-computers in the body would allow humans to remain the dominant existence, and of course, some people consider this whole idea to be biblical (see the book of Revelation).

I am not saying that I truly think that this will come to pass. I just see it as a small possibility that we need to be wary of.[/SIZE]