OtakuBoards

Favorites Stickies

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I am requesting favorites stickies for the entertainment forums and the OB Anthology. I have a list of reasons.

[B]1[/B]. No repeat threads every other week. Just one easy to manage thread. Even when these threads are done right and have up to 5-6 pages of great replies, they also get spammed a lot so I imagine it's a pain de-spamming every single one.

[B]2[/B]. Easier to keep track of. No having to worry abot when it's appropriate to create a new one cuz there will always be one definite one.

[B]3[/B]. Easy to find. Personally, I find myself hunting these threads all the time to look at people's favorites lists. On other sites they are usually stickies and thus much easier to find. Not to mention you won't have to necro the old thread just to add on your new favorite show.

It doesn't even have to be a new thread is you don't want - we can sticky the most recent favorites threads, though a fresh one would be nice, too, since if anyone is like me they've been hoarding additions.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I'm not sure if stickying the threads would work but since most forums have a thread directory, I don't see why we can't add a favorites thread section to the directory and list them there. Is this along the lines of what you were thinking about?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Petie'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I'm not sure if stickying the threads would work but since most forums have a thread directory, I don't see why we can't add a favorites thread section to the directory and list them there. Is this along the lines of what you were thinking about?[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I suppose that could work if it's a better solution for the mods. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think we discussed this a while back in response to all the recommendation threads popping up. But in the end I'm sure we decided not to do it. It's too easy to keep finding things you'd like to have as a sticky thread. Plus favorites and recommended threads are often spammy and full of lists that have to be deleted out of the thread. So in the end adding it to the directory seems like the best solution. Then new threads that pop up on the subject can simply be merged into the main thread. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think we discussed this a while back in response to all the recommendation threads popping up. But in the end I'm sure we decided not to do it. It's too easy to keep finding things you'd like to have as a sticky thread. Plus favorites and recommended threads are often spammy and full of lists that have to be deleted out of the thread. So in the end adding it to the directory seems like the best solution. Then new threads that pop up on the subject can simply be merged into the main thread. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oi. I was asking, though, because I was about too create a new favorites thread but wasn't sure if I was supposed to ressurect the last one or what (since it was technically a top 5 and thus restricted a lot of people) so I made the request. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I can see adding generic favorite threads to the directories and just having a single thread for each. Stuff like, "What's your favorite villain?" or "What's your favorite game?" Ones that are always the same no matter how many times they're recreated.

But I don't think we should sticky the individual threads. We already tend to have a few stickies in each forum and we don't want the list to get too long. Given all the different types of favorite threads that can crop up, it could easily start choking out the unstickied threads.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I can see adding generic favorite threads to the directories and just having a single thread for each. Stuff like, "What's your favorite villain?" or "What's your favorite game?" Ones that are always the same no matter how many times they're recreated.

But I don't think we should sticky the individual threads. We already tend to have a few stickies in each forum and we don't want the list to get too long. Given all the different types of favorite threads that can crop up, it could easily start choking out the unstickied threads.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]>_> that's not what I meant by 'favorites'. In anime lounge, a 'What is your Favorite Anime' sticky. In manga 'What is your Favorite Manga?'. In MMTV 'What is your favorite band/movie/TVshow'. In hardwired 'What is your favorite video game?'. In OB Anthology 'What is your favorite book?'

that's all. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]The only problem I can see with this is that peoples' favorite things can change quite often. I know I've had a different favorite band every year since the sixth grade (even though AFI has always been a favorite and THE favorite for two years now, :P), and I do change a lot outside of my entertainment interests.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I go back and read a post about something that is no longer my favorite, then I feel compelled to update it. Some people change a lot more often than every year, though, so a sticky like that would rack up lots of posts very quickly.[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]The only problem I can see with this is that peoples' favorite things can change quite often. I know I've had a different favorite band every year since the sixth grade (even though AFI has always been a favorite and THE favorite for two years now, :P), and I do change a lot outside of my entertainment interests.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I go back and read a post about something that is no longer my favorite, then I feel compelled to update it. Some people change a lot more often than every year, though, so a sticky like that would rack up lots of posts very quickly.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]that's the whole reason I was requesting a sticky. Personally, my favorites change almost monthly. i usually wait a couple months before doing so, but I very frequently create new favorites threads in hope that others are evolving at the same rate.

A faovorites thread would stay right at the top and be easily accessible and constant. If you want to make changes to your list, you can simply edit your original post and not have to worry about not boosting the thread up the page.

Also, isn't a thread with a lot of posts, y'know, a good thing?[/COLOR]

[size=1]Even adding just one more sticky thread to each forum would create a lot of mess and clutter. I'm going to have to agree with Des on this one, DeeBee. As far as I'm concerned Hardwired and Anime Lounge have too many stickies as it is.

Having an official favorites threads for each thread directory seems perfectly fine, though. I'm a little surprised we aren't doing that already.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Shy;790511][size=1]Even adding just one more sticky thread to each forum would create a lot of mess and clutter. I'm going to have to agree with Des on this one, DeeBee. As far as I'm concerned Hardwired and Anime Lounge have too many stickies as it is.[/size][/QUOTE]When we discussed having one in Anime Lounge a while ago, we abandoned the idea because of this reason. Having more stickies would have resulted in more clutter and mess than it was worth.[QUOTE=Shy'][size=1]Having an official favorites threads for each thread directory seems perfectly fine, though. I'm a little surprised we aren't doing that already.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]This too was discussed, though if I remember correctly, we got busy doing other things, so I don't remember if we were actually going to follow through with it or not. If it's fine with Dessy, then I see no reason why the thread directory couldn't be altered to include an official favorites/recommendation thread. That really would be the easiest way to do it. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Since we seem to be in favor of having a thread for the directory, I went ahead and created a thread for the Anime Lounge, since the old one was too restricting. I need to check out what the others look like before deciding if they should be redone as well.

Links for your ease of use:
[url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=56808][B]Favorite Artist[/B][/url]
[url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55653][B]Favorite Song[/B][/url]

...and, wow, we apparently haven't had a favorite book or game thread in over a year O_o[/COLOR]