OtakuBoards

Nerds vs Otakus: How to tell the difference

Odin M Yggdrasi

Whooo!! You, my friend, just opened up a whole new can o' worms. Now I'm gonna say they're the same thing and digitalboy's gonna come in and start arguing with me, since he's a purist otaku and all, and we'll get into this huge fight and we'll both get banned and it'll cause a board schism.

(Nah, I'm just teasin' :D)

I personally think that it all depends on how much they're into Anime and Manga. If it's just a casual hobby overrun by D&D, WoW, Magic, and whatever else normal nerds get into, they're a normal nerd. If the main hobby is Japanese children entertainment (That's what it is, but I love it anyway,) They're an Otaku.

Basically, it goes into a simple mathematical formula:

Otaku=Anime>Other nerd stuff

Nerd=Anime[U]<[/U]Other nerd stuff

(Hey! Maths iz a nurd stuff!!!1111!)

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol. Who uses the term nerd anymore?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

People who like robotics, computer hardware, engineering, in general technology, typically know just plain too much, and are usually out of touch with current trends other than what is published in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics, and other such technology magazines.

So then, I definately fall into the nerd variety, since ordinary people don't design rocket engines and alternative energy sources for fun.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']By having an internet prescence outside of myspace and youtube, you already are one.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Assuming you meant "[B]presence[/B]," and also assuming that when you say "[B]one[/B]" you mean "[B]nerd[/B]," I can only conclude that you are [B]wrong[/B].

Using the [B]internet[/B] and being a [B]nerd[/B] haven't been equivalents since 1996.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Assuming you meant "[B]presence[/B]," and also assuming that when you say "[B]one[/B]" you mean "[B]nerd[/B]," I can only conclude that you are [B]wrong[/B].

Using the [B]internet[/B] and being a [B]nerd[/B] haven't been equivalents since 1996.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]you missed the 2 keywords in that sentence, then.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I don't think there is a difference, seeing as how I equally enjoy making fun of both.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Oh don't worry, we love making fun of you as well <3
[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']People who like robotics, computer hardware, engineering, in general technology, typically know just plain too much, and are usually out of touch[/QUOTE]
Oh man, its like my life story summed up in words![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]