OtakuBoards

What to bring back from Japan?

Minako

So, let me explain. My mom will be in Japan for 2 days or so while she's visiting my dad in China. I want her to bring me back some candy or something, since she'll be in a little town. I know I want Pocky, but what do you guys suggest? (And keep in mind, it has to be easy for her to find, and she doesn't know any Japanese at all) And as for candy, I don't necessarily like any gummy-fruity-candies, I like chocolate and others kind of like it (caramel, truffles...).

I'd appreciate any feedback, since she's leaving the day after tomorrow! Thanks!

[font="trebuchet ms"] To tell the truth, it's sort of worthless to ask your mom to buy Pocky and other Japanese foods from Japan. If you go to any international grocery stores, you can buy all of that stuff cheaply and easily. Asian candy, pocky, snacks, chips, whatever. It's all located in your nearby international market. :) Especially if you live in an area or state with a large hispanic/asian population.

What I'd suggest are just thing that you can't buy easily in the US. Like cheap kimonos or something, lol. [/font]

What about a manga that hasn't been released in any other country yet?

While you wouldn't be able to read it you would still have that manga before anyone else you know would have it.

Dunno what else they might have that you might find interesting that could be legally brought back (I don't think they would like you at the border if you took a Katana home with you)

Possibly a luck charm or something of cultural significance might work.

Yeah, personally I don't believe you should focus on candies considering stuff like Kasugai gummies, Pocky, Ramune, etc is very easy to find in America or wherever you live in.

I would suggest videogames but that too can be found in the US, or you can rely on Play-asia or something.

Since you're on OB, I'm just going to say you like anime as a default, so capsule toys would be good. Also there's wonderful cosplay for sale (Some places like Cospatio in Shibuya district does not ship internationally, therefore if you buy a cosplay outfit there, you'd probably have to actually go to the shop and buy it) and there are many CDs you could get as well. Like, new singles, albums, etc.

Hm... It's really a hard choice though.

If you are interested in traditional Japanese things, you could ask your mother to visit Asakusa and buy a yukata, kimono, sword, or other various things. They have neat shops for those accessories, especially for shoes and stuff. If you like cats, there's a good cat store around there too.

Or, if you want to, you can ask your mother to shop and buy something at Ginza or Roppongi Hills =P Although I'm not so sure if she would agree with prices...

...Actually, my own advice is to ask her to get as many neat contraptions they have in Akihabara. Or souvenirs from important locations like Mt. Fuji, Tokyo Tower, etc.

=P In my opinion, I'd just ask for pictures~

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I know for a fact that if you are into PS2 games, international games will not work with your PS2. Unless you have one of the old fat ones and you buy this little accessory that bypasses the location confirmation. If you have a slim PS2, that will not work. I am not sure about other systems. As for anime and manga, if you do not know Japanese or not going to learn it, it is a waste of money to buy it. Your best bet are buying cds of your favorite artists, getting random tourist things such as cell phone charms, good luck charms and erasers of your favorite anime and capsule toys. As many already stated, you can get most of that food at places like Safeway, Suncoast, and so on and so forth. Cosplay costumes are kind of hard to shop for. The sizing systems are different and your mom might accidently buy something that is too small or too big on you.

Capsule toys, gundam models and cell phone charms are some of my favorites though.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Oh how I miss Japan, great memories. ^_^

Anyway, I recommend getting traditional bowls or something. If you like that kind of thing. You can get them really cheap and most local stores such as Lawson or the 100¥(100 Yen store), its like a dollar store. Or really cool mugs, which I got for my mom in Narita airport which look really cool.

Pocky is a definite must(yes you can get them anywhere, but this is [b]in[/b] Japan), also Pucca(sort of like pocky except they're shaped like animal crackers with chocolate or cheesecake filling), Every Burger(little tiny mini chocolate burgers), Kit Kats(they have crazy flavored Kit Kats over there, Mango/Melon or Green Tea, plus many more), Fuku Fuku Taiyaki Chocolate(fish wafer things).

If you like anime theres tons of cool action figures or stuffed animals, even the vending machines with toys are awesome, so much better than the crap in vending machines here. You can get a cool Mario DS stylis, or Mario plush key chains, etc.

Kimonos, or a Happi; but these can be quite pricey.

I don't recommend Ginza or Roppongi Hills. Ginza is extremely expensive district, very high class. Unless she has the money. :/

Pictures are a must, tons of pictures. Hope that helps.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]A word of advice [B]orbindo[/B], first of all, lay off the Caps please. That's the same as if you are shouting at others. Secondly. Try to put a little more into your posts from now on. What you just posted is not that far from being total spam really.

As for the topic? I'd go for something more unique that isn't easy to find back home. Though as to what that would be... I have no idea.[/FONT][/COLOR]