OtakuBoards

Fun, Weird, or Dumb Facts People Might not Know

Aberinkula

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Here's some random tidbits for you....

[LIST]
[*]A word or phrase that is spelled backwards and forwards is called a [B]palindrome[/B]. For example [I]so many dynamos[/I], [I]race car[/I], [I]radar[/I]...etc.

[*]As a corollary, [I]embargo[/I] spelled backwards is [B][I]ograbme[/I][/B]

[*]The "Mexican Hat Dance" is the official dance of Mexico.

[*]Amish people do not believe in the use of aerosal air fresheners. As a corollary, Amish people don't believe in the Ozone layer either...

[*]Chuck Norris does not wear a condom. Because there is no such thing as protection from Chuck Norris.

[*] Chuck Norris can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.
[/LIST][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]J.S. Bach's father's middle name was Ambrosius.

There is no I in team. There is meat, though, which is a good thing. (insert groan here)

The double-L sound in Spanish is pronounced differently, depending on location. In Spain, the sound is "[I]eee[/I]-yah", and in México the sound is [I]eee[/I]-zhah.

Also, if you are ever asked "[I]¿Cómo estás?[/I]", the proper response (provided it is true) is "[I]Estoy bien[/I],"or simply "[I]Bien[/I]." Do not use [I]bueno[/I]: it has sexual connotations. (Oh, I'm [I]goooood.[/I] ;))

[I]El Papa[/I] is the Pope. [I]La papa[/I] is the potato.

And although cognates are fun, "embarrass" is not one of them. The [U]false[/U] cognate [I]embarazado[/I] actually means "pregnant"; the correct verb is [I]desconcertar[/I] (inf.), which looks like "disconcert".

:animeknow[/FONT]

Alright! Mistranslations ahoy!

You all know Gerber packaging symbol? The smiling baby? Well, when they wanted to market their product in Africa, they used the same packaging. Little did they know that since Africa has a low literacy rate, it is customary to put a picture of what a can or jar contains on the front. Needless to say the product didn't sell well.

In Mexico, the "Got Milk?" Slogan came out as "Are you lactating?"

Lebanese audiences all over attended showings of "Titanic" because the movie's title was slang for "Let's have sex."

In addition, Allamorph's "embarazar" flub worked it's way into a pen advertisement. Instead of Not leaking in your pocket and embarrassing you, many people thought it was birth control.

Also, the "el Papa/La Papa" thing messed up a T-shirt campaign in Mexico.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I've got a new one that you chubsters out there might like.

Recent studies suggest that overweight people actually have the longest life expectancies among the groups: underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese. By overweight the study means people who would have around 10-20 pounds extra weight from the "norm." I think this is measured using the body mass index.

Now, this in no way is definitive data, there's still lots of testing to do and interpretations to be made. But there is definitely something going on here. It's interesting. And seeing as i'm right in that overweight group i'd just like to say to everybody else... SUCK IT BETCHES!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Here's some more random facts....

-1 out of 350,000 Americans get electrocuted in their life.
-53% of women in America would dump their boyfriend if they did not get them anything for Valentine's
-96% of candles that are purchased are by women.
-96% of people put the peanut butter on first when making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
-Impotence is grounds for divorce in 26 U.S. states.
-There are approximately 100 million acts of sexual intercourse each day (99 million of them are by someone that isn't me...lol)
- A can of Pepsi has 41 grams of sugar. This amount to about seven teaspoons of sugar.
-The oldest major soft drink in America is Dr. Pepper, which originated in Waco, Texas in 1885.
- A pregnant woman's dental health can affect her unborn child. (Make sure to brush up, mommies to be!)

:catgirl:[/FONT]

[COLOR="77656"][B]Here's a fact about mommies, babies and breeding in general.

During pregancy, almost all women with arthritis didn't have it during the time of pregnancy.

A spider's penis is located on it's leg.[/B]

[B]I'n medevil China it was not unsusual for a mother to breast-feed her child until he/she was 7.

Up to the a ge 6 or 7, a child can breathe and swallow at the same time.[/B]

And here's a doggy fact.

[B]Contrary to popular belief, dogs don't by salivating, they sweat through the pads of their feet.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aceburner']There's a silly little thing the FCC has that states that a beer commercial may not feature anyone actually drinking the product.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]...well it's not as if it's stopped any of the company's from producing decent ads, though it does example why so many of them do not feature people actually drinking beer.

Few more fun facts.

- The tip of a 1/3 inch long hour-hand on a wristwatch travels at 0.00000275 mph

- John Madden is an accomplished ballroom dancer.

- The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs in it.

- In 21 states, Wal-Mart is the single largest employer. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]...well it's not as if it's stopped any of the company's from producing decent ads, though it does example why so many of them do not feature people actually drinking beer. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I know, it's just a fun little tidbit. Beer commercials are the only thing that kept me watching Super Bowl XL after the first quarter.

The dog that played Toto in "The Wizard of Oz" was payed 125$ a week. Lucky little turd.