OtakuBoards

Individualism

Konata

As Wikipedia states, "Individualism is a term used to describe a moral, political, or social outlook that stresses human independence and the importance of individual self-reliance and liberty."

Of course, it can be interpreted in several ways though.

So, what is your take on it? What would you consider as individualism? Is there a difference between individualism and nonconformity? Is there a relationship between egoism and individualism? Do [i]you[/i] consider yourself to be an individualist? If so, what makes you one? Etc.

I personally don't have an opinion on individualism really, and that's why I made this thread lol... But whenever I think of the topic, I always am reminded of Henry David Thoreau, and even Ralph Waldo Emerson. But mostly Thoreau, especially because of his actions. Spending a lot of his life experimenting and archiving his observations of nature (hence, Walden), spending a night in jail by refusing to pay taxes, etc.

This is just about individualism. Analysis of it, references to historical approaches, and other various talk about it.

Just like how a topic of "Naruto vs. Bleach" is not the same as a topic of "Naruto" >_> Or a "Love vs. Hate" thread and a "Love Thread".

If you want me to rephrase it to make it look less redundant, I need help on a writing project that deals with the topic of individualism. It's basically the same topic as "Individualism" though lol.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Individualism... I can't say i have a trong standpoint on it, because I could just as easily argue either side, depending on my mood. Side 1 being that people have to depend on themselves and that they must be their own master, with side 2 being that no person goes without being influenced by society in some way.

However, my own opinion is in the middle, because I'm not a scientist or a computer, and absolute standpoints, while logical, are inhuman, and denote the soul of the mind. I think that everyone is their own god and can literally do whatever they want, and I only do what I want. The things I want have been influenced by society nd my lifestyle, but they are still the things I want. [/COLOR]

I'm an individualist, in the sense that I just go about my life doing stuff I find enjoyable, and listening to music I find enjoyable. I don't listen to something and think, "hey, I'm a [insert social group here] I better not listen to that." I just judge it on my standards of taste, which are very broad standards. :)

So I'm generally carefree and I have a wide range of music/clothing/movies that I'm into. It's great not to be boxed in by a clique.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I think I summed it up pretty well what I thought individualism and mainstream were...so...I'll just post it up again for reference.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Korey]Indiviualism: People who strive to be "different" from others, by ways of fashion, musical tastes, etc. Goths, metal heads, and many niche groups tend to fall into this stereotype. These people are often persecuted (at least they think so) or looked in a lesser way, because of their choice to veer from the socially common value in place[B][I][U] at that time[/U][/I][/B].

Now here's my thing about individualism and mainstream. First off, let's ditch those maudlin terms. There is no such thing as Mainstream or Indiviualism period. You cannot be totally similar to someone else, because you will differ in some way, no matter how minute (this stems particularly from your life experiences and choices), so the term mainstream should really be called "Popular for the Masses". Individualism is a really old, cliche term too. You aren't gonna be totally different, because somewhere, at sometime...someone came up with the same ideas as you. You tend to hang out with people of similar tastes right? How is that being an individual if you want to be part of a group? This means you go with the mainstream of that particular niche group.

Soooooo...basically, in my own humble opinon. Everyone is mainstream in some way, every one is and individual. It's really a balancing act, there is no one extreme or the other.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]+5 Coolio points to Allamorph for pointing out my thread....lol[/FONT]