OtakuBoards

Official Otaku SSBB League

MoonlightNexus

For anyone interested, I'm trying to work out getting a SSBB League set up for anybody on theOtaku. Anyone who might want to join or who has any ideas for the league can PM me at my site, [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/portfolio/moonlightnexus"]http://www.theotaku.com/portfolio/moonlightnexus/[/URL].

Better yet, check out the official World at :
[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/tocl"]http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/tocl[/URL].

Any and all are welcome, so just let me know if your interested.

[B]Current Thread Topic: Should items or the Smash Ball be allowed in official matches? Starts on Page 2.[/B]

[font=franklin gothic medium]So that this doesn't become spam, it might be a good idea to use this thread to discuss the league. I'm more than happy for you to use this thread as your official discussion area for the league, if you're interested.[/font]

Sorry James, didn't mean to step out of bounds on that one :animeswea. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, so now for some details about the league:

-Right now I'm not sure exactly how to organize the league. Right now I'm thinking about World Cup-style tournaments, with different groupings, and the top one or two players from each grouping advancing to a single-elimination tournament.

-Even though tournaments are great, I don't want everyone in the league getting bored with too many. I'm open to doing some kind of "season" if everyone's willing.

-The league doesn't have a name yet, and I'm not sure if it'll get one. I'm open to suggestions.

-Like James said, this thread could become the discussion area for the league. If anybody wants to deviate from just a regular tournament, this would be a good place to discuss special matches.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, if anybody has any questions, feel free to post here or PM me about them

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, I figure this might be a good discussion spot because it's hard to outright discuss things on myO. Maybe Desbreko has some ideas about getting your league started.

Other than that, I could post an announcement to help promote your idea, but I don't know how much interest that would grab.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]Hmm. I've never really done much with organizing stuff like this. I usually prefer more laid back gatherings where people just get together and play for fun. But I might join in once I get some experience with the game since I'll also be buying it at launch.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Hmm. I've never really done much with organizing stuff like this. I usually prefer more laid back gatherings where people just get together and play for fun. But I might join in once I get some experience with the game since I'll also be buying it at launch.[/color][/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that will be sort of a secondary effect of the league, in the sense that people will be able to get in contact with others who play the game and trade friend codes. Then hopefully some groups will build where they can just come together and play for fun.

Also, I know being in competition all the time can get tiresome (and sometimes take the fun out of things), so I'm thinking of also having casual group meetings where people can just come and play for fun.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, see how you go in terms of gathering members and stuff.

On Version Vibrant, as far as I know, you'll be able to have Worlds that are controlled by groups of members - so it will be possible to set up your league site there.

If you can set things up and gather some participants, we may be able to offer some sort of official support. [/font]

We don't have to have a MyOtaku account for this, do we? At any rate there are any number of match themes you can come up with. Examples: (and these are off the top of my head)

-Who's the Best (insert character here)? Everyone plays as the same character to find out who plays it best!

-Invincible Iron Kirby! One person plays as Kirby and sees how long they can stay on stage, without attacking or using health pickups.

-Shotput. How far can you toss the designated player?

Of course I don't know how the match creation will work, so I can't come up with a whole lot right now. These are more or less just minigames and not real fights anyway. Think of the possiblities though.

I'm going to respond to a couple things here, so please bear with me.

James: I'm definitely hoping to use Worlds to have an official group when Version Vibrant releases. It seems like the perfect base for this sort of thing. Official support would be amazing, definitely more than I thought possible when I thought of this league. I still need to get everything off the ground and get more participants (I have a grand total of 2 so far...yeah...). Thanks for the offer!

Inculta_Bellum: Your minigame idea sounds perfect. Seems like a nice way to mix competition with the more laid back atmosphere that Desbreko was talking about. I'd want to make this more open, meaning that I'd love for anybody to suggest a minigame idea (like you did). I shouldn't be the only one who has a say for that, since there's a lot of different options for a fight like you mentioned. I'd like to get suggestions from people, then make an announcement for their special brawl, and hopefully attract more gamers. Also, since Version Vibrant is coming out soon, and I plan on using it for the league, so you will need an account there. Like Adam has said, myOtaku and Version Vibrant are going to be separate, so you will not need a myOtaku account. If you want to join the league another way, I'm open to working that out.

Version Vibrant is supposed to go up this weekend, so I'll FINALLY have a Worlds page officially dedicated to this league! I'll let you know where to find it when I can set it up.

In the meantime, anybody have any good ideas for a name? I was thinking: theOtaku Super Smash Bros. League. I know, kinda stale, but that's why I'm taking ideas!

[color=#4B0082]Please use the edit button rather than double posting when you need to add something to a post. Thanks. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

Sorry Desbreko! I'll try to keep that in mind for future posts. Thanks for the help! -MoonlightNexus

[quote name='KisukeUrahara']Unfortunately, there's going to be a bit of a delay in me getting the game, but when I finally do get my hands on it, I'll definitely be sure to stop back by here again and let you know; this sounds like a lot of fun! ^_^[/QUOTE]

No worries. Doesn't matter how late you buy the game, you'll be more than welcome to join whenever you want!

[quote name='nabgeta']Well I think we should post are SSBB codes as soon as we get the game that way we can start to get this league more off the ground and to start kicking each others butt at the same time :smirk:[/QUOTE]

Very true. We could probably post them here and on the World group whenever I set it up. But since James gave the green light for this to become the discussion area for the league, that's a great idea.

Alright, the World for the league is initially set up!

I've settled on the name "The Otaku Champions League." I BARELY had enough room to make the title "Otaku Champions League," so it has to stay as that on theO. the address is:

[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/tocl"]http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/tocl[/URL]

So go there and join the World if you're interested, but still use this thread to talk about the league!

I'm definitely joining in. I'll be more than happy to be everyone's whipping boy!

Seriously, though, I was soooooo rusty the last time I played Melee. My skills (what little I had, anyway) have deteriorated so much. :(

I like the idea of seasons; they should definitely be used to build toward tournaments. Wouldn't be too difficult to determine records - I don't remember if Brawl keeps track of records, but if not, then we could keep track of those ourselves.

They might be different, though, depending on whether we're a 1-on-1 league, four-player league, or all match types, or whatever. Something to think about, anyway. We should figure out a way for this to not become so dense that it scares people away lol.

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503F86]Well, I'd certainly love to be a part in this, but being in the UK my Wi-Fi connection may not extend far enough, and also, being in the UK, I'm not getting the game till gone June. Hmm.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Anytime you get the game is fine, you'll be welcome to join. I'm hoping the WiFi works out for you, definitely keep me updated!

[quote name='Shinmaru']I'm definitely joining in. I'll be more than happy to be everyone's whipping boy!

Seriously, though, I was soooooo rusty the last time I played Melee. My skills (what little I had, anyway) have deteriorated so much. :(

I like the idea of seasons; they should definitely be used to build toward tournaments. Wouldn't be too difficult to determine records - I don't remember if Brawl keeps track of records, but if not, then we could keep track of those ourselves.

They might be different, though, depending on whether we're a 1-on-1 league, four-player league, or all match types, or whatever. Something to think about, anyway. We should figure out a way for this to not become so dense that it scares people away lol.[/QUOTE]

1v1, 2v2, etc. will most certainly depend on how many people sign up, so we'll have to see. I love the idea of seasons too, the trouble is how to set them up. Making a schedule shouldn't be a problem, but it's deciding at what point a season ends, and how soon to being the next season. We could end up having 10+ seasons per year! One potential idea is to have 1 multi-month seasons, playoffs for each, then add in some big tournaments between the seasons, combined with user-created events (like the minigames mentioned in this thread earlier). The trouble I foresee is that people may get bored with multi-month seasons, and may not want to wait for another. But hopefully people will keep doing what you're doing and give me some ideas about what would be most fun for them.

And hey, it's been awhile since I've played Melee, so there's at least one person you can beat, lol.

Brawl and Melee are totally different according to Sakurai-san (director of Brawl for those who don't know) I like the idea of multi-month seasons personally, and I think it would be easy to pull off, but we should have different things every season to keep things interesting.

[quote name='PyrusDragon']Brawl and Melee are totally different according to Sakurai-san (director of Brawl for those who don't know) I like the idea of multi-month seasons personally, and I think it would be easy to pull off, but we should have different things every season to keep things interesting.[/QUOTE]

By different things, do you mean along the lines of different match types/stipulations?

[quote name='MoonlightNexus']By different things, do you mean along the lines of different match types/stipulations?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure that it's a big difference other than some attacks that some people do other than that no real change in how that game is played:animesmil

[quote name='nabgeta']I'm not sure that it's a big difference other than some attacks that some people do other than that no real change in how that game is played:animesmil[/QUOTE]

I was talking more about the different things he wanted for seasons. I really need to be clearer when I talk, lol :animeswea

UPDATE: New question to go with what's below: If the majority wants Smash Balls to stay in, but you do not (or the other way around), would you still being willing to play in the League?

When I think about competitive gaming, I tend to think of people using their own skills, not relying on foreign objects to be the best (excluding games like Halo).

This said, I initially wanted to set up official League matches to use no items whatsoever. However, the new Smash Ball adds a very unique element to the game, and I think it would be exciting to let players use it.

So what's your take? Yes or no for the Smash Ball? Or are you in the camp of letting all items stay in? Comment here or on the OCL World.

-Matt

P.S. I'll try to put up a list of participants on the World soon (probably tomorrow), so check in!

[quote name='MoonlightNexus']When I think about competitive gaming, I tend to think of people using their own skills, not relying on foreign objects to be the best (excluding games like Halo).

This said, I initially wanted to set up official League matches to use no items whatsoever. However, the new Smash Ball adds a very unique element to the game, and I think it would be exciting to let players use it.

So what's your take? Yes or no for the Smash Ball? Or are you in the camp of letting all items stay in? Comment here or on the OCL World.

-Matt

P.S. I'll try to put up a list of participants on the World soon (probably tomorrow), so check in![/QUOTE]

well I think the smash ball should stay being it's the only way you can do utimment moves and also requires skill to get one with every one fighting for it as for other items mabe no because items like bombs,assist trophies,poke'balls make or brake a fight but th esccocer ball,hothead,pitfall do not

[color=#4B0082]From my experience playing the game for around fifteen hours now, I'd say smash balls shouldn't be allowed in serious competitive play. Some characters get a big advantage with their final smash while others have pretty crappy ones and it can really throw off what would otherwise be a balanced match. Some characters also have a lot easier time breaking the smash balls due to the types of attacks they have.[/color]