OtakuBoards

Poetry Contest - Everyone Welcome!

Sabrina

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Despite my initial discomfort with the idea of having to rhyme lines when my best line ever in high school was "Oh to go back to the way things have been, you were my dancing queen..."
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]If it helps, the next round will not include rhyming. For those who make it past the first round that is.
[quote name='Allamorph;809704][FONT=Arial]Quick query, so I know how long I have. Is the deadline at the beginning or the end of the 11th?[/FONT][/QUOTE]Good question! The entire day. I will not be closing it until the following morning which will be the 12th. I'll post to that effect since I'll probably do so when I get up on Saturday. So if you post Saturday at 3am... it will count so long as I haven't posted closing the round yet.[quote name='Darren'']Hmmm, okay, just one question: Is this elimination? If so, single, double???[/quote]Elimination, single. Unless people want it to be double. In which case we can work something out. [/FONT]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Aww, I suppose it's too late to join? I don't visit Anthology much so I didn't actually see this thread untill now. :(

I'll have to jump in next time I guess. D:[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]Not at all! The only thing you would need is someone to compete against. ^_^ If you know someone else who is interested, the timing would be slightly different than the others, but you could still join the fun since I could add another thread to the challenges.

So, anyone interested in taking on 8bit? :catgirl: The more the merrier! [/FONT]

Alright, mine is up. So I guess that means it's open for others to give their critique and vote now. Since you indicated that voting could start once both are up. I'm going to assume that you'd like people to do more than just state a name since that seems kind of pointless. Though I have to wait for someone else to be finished with theirs before I can do that.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]And I am now done as well since my poem is up.

Now in response to the idea of double instead of single elimination, if we did do that, I'd go for those losing having to battle the others who didn't advance. And at that point the second loss would mean your out or the win would keep you in the game.

Though you'd still have that one strike so one more loss would mean you are out. But, that's only if others like the idea. Personally, I'm fine with single elimination. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Darren']AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Arryanna_Mom at the beginning?!?!? Are you insane?

A better question: Am I insane for attempting to compete against her?[/QUOTE]I don't know why you're nervous. I never did learn the rules or even names for different poetry. Nor did I take an active role in reading it during my lifetime.

Anyway, it's up. So best of luck to both of us and everyone else. ^_~

[FONT="Tahoma"]Alright! Entry posting is now officially [U][B]closed[/B][/U]. Which means that since [B]Ben[/B] did not get theirs in before the deadline, [B]Treble[/B] wins this round by default, however... and this is completely up to you [B]Treble[/B]... if you wish to contact [B]8bit[/B] and see if they would be interested in putting up an entry in the next day or two, then you are welcome to take that route. Just let me know what you'd like to do. ^_~

Anyway, all I ask of the voting is that when making a choice you do more than simply list the name. Judging poetry is pretty subjective and even more so since other than the rhyming and keeping to three sections with four lines each, there are no rules to keep in mind for your choice. It's really based on which poem you think fits the given topic the best. So it would be nice to simply explain a little as to why you liked the poem in question.

I think asking for a couple of sentences is fair, and definitely let the each contestant know what you liked about their poem.. :catgirl: So... time to vote! [/FONT]

Darn, I was looking forward to being crushed by Ben. Well, I think I?ll send 8bit a pm to get an entry in within the next two days. And hopefully I?ll have time today to get a vote in for one the poems.

*PM sent to 8bit*

Terribly sorry, everyone! I've had work and school back to back every day this week and didn't have a moment to get online. >_<

How embarrassing....to be disqualified even before writing a poem. -.-

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Ben']Terribly sorry, everyone! I've had work and school back to back every day this week and didn't have a moment to get online. >_<

How embarrassing....to be disqualified even before writing a poem. -.-[/QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear you were so busy. School and work can certainly do that to you. XP I may not work, but school certainly takes up a lot of my time. I still greatly appreciate your interest, even if the timing turned out to be poor. ^_~[/FONT]

[size=1]I imagine it's much too late to join, but I just wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed reading all of the entries so far. Even though the contestants are clearly not poets, I see a lot of potential in the writing.

It's great to see some activity in here again. Good job, guys.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Just a quick question, and you may have already mentioned this somewhere in the thread but when does voting end?[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]Actually... It seems I have not. :animeswea Sorry about that, it was clear in my mind that like getting one's poem in, the time would be a week. So for the voting, that will be the same. It will close on[U] Friday the 18th[/U]. It will not be a specific time but rather I will post indicating as such when I get up the following morning on Saturday the 19th. So all votes up until I post and officially close it will count.

[B]EDIT:[/B] And the voting has ended, the results are posted in each thread. ^_^ Those who will be moving to the next round are:

Aaryanna
Aaryanna_Mom
indifference
Raiha
Allamorph
Treble

I will have the threads up with the new challenge and challengers either later this evening or tomorrow. ^_^ For now though there is something you?ll want to keep in mind, and that is a new voting system, namely [B]cohesive voting[/B].

How does that work? It?s simple; for the next challenge there will be three challenges, in order for your vote to count you have to vote in each one. Any single posting and voting will automatically be disqualified if by the end of the challenge you have not also voted for the other two threads.

The only exception is of course the contestants since they can?t vote on their own challenge, however, they too are required to vote on the other two. So even their voting will be cohesive. ^_~ If there are any questions be sure to direct them here.

[B]EDIT:[/B] And the second round is up! Your respective threads can be found here.

[thread=58961][U]Aaryanna_Mom vs. Treble[/U][/thread]
[thread=58962][U]Aaryanna vs. indifference[/U][/thread]
[thread=58963][U]Allamorph vs. Raiha[/U][/thread][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Normally I'd consider a variant acceptable so long as the number of lines were close to the original and the message was the same. However, with two entires already in, I feel allowing that at this point wouldn't be fair.

But, if both Raiha and Aaryanna_Mom are fine with allowing a variant, at that point I'd open it up for everyone. So the question is, what are your thoughts on it? Raiha, Aaryanna_Mom? Yes or no? Keep in mind, if you say yes, that means both of you are free to edit your posts and change it if you wish. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well, not to sound NEEDY or anything, but I'd feel very sad if I'd just finished reading a poem that didn't refer to me in all my glory once. Especially since I just finished [sort of] tossing off my opponent with such glee and glowing praise in my own entry.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well, not to sound NEEDY or anything, but I'd feel very sad if I'd just finished reading a poem that didn't refer to me in all my glory once. Especially since I just finished [sort of] tossing off my opponent with such glee and glowing praise in my own entry.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]The topic would have to be the same/similar, for example a variant would look like this: [B]Vote for neuvoxraiha [/B] I used your older user name since length wise it's close to the previous one. So I hope that clears up what type of variant it would have to be. :catgirl: It still has to have the same theme of why the other person should win.[/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well, not to sound NEEDY or anything, but I'd feel very sad if I'd just finished reading a poem that didn't refer to me in all my glory once. Especially since I just finished [sort of] tossing off my opponent with such glee and glowing praise in my own entry.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Not the nature of the query. Since the challenge specifically called for that as a topic, and not just as the initial lettering, I am rather surprised that you (of all people) would make such an erroneous and rather insulting assumption.
[quote name='Sabrina][FONT="Tahoma"']Normally I'd consider a variant acceptable so long as the number of lines were close to the original and the message was the same. However, with two entires already in, I feel allowing that at this point wouldn't be fair.[/FONT][/quote]
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. (^_^)[/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]The topic would have to be the same/similar, for example a variant would look like this: [B]Vote for neuvoxraiha [/B] I used your older user name since length wise it's close to the previous one. So I hope that clears up what type of variant it would have to be. :catgirl: It still has to have the same theme of why the other person should win.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well when you put it THAT way. Maybe. I suppose.

I mean I won't die or anything but ...*snivel* It's just not the same.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well when you put it THAT way. Maybe. I suppose.

I mean I won't die or anything but ...*snivel* [B][U]It's just not the same.[/U][/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Oh yes it is, the topic, [I]regardless[/I] of the letters running down the side is still the same. A poem as to [I][B]why[/B][/I] the other person should win. [spoiler]Stop being snide, it's most unbecoming[/spoiler]

I see no issue whatsoever with a variation of the actual phrase if the same intent is still present. I assumed from the very beginning that the reason we were all given the same phrase was on account of varying lengths in user names. After all, there's a big difference between "Why Aaryanna_Mom Should Win" vs. "Why Treble Should Win"

So my answer is that so long as the actual letters running down the side are close in length to the original phrase, and the meaning the same... I see nothing wrong with a variant, especially since it would be interesting to see what people would come up with. I don't plan on changing mine but if Treble wishes to, more power to them. ;)

[FONT="Tahoma"]Alright! Since both Aaryanna_Mom and Raiha have indicated they are fine with it, variations are allowed. Just keep in mind that the topic has to be the same and the number of letters/lines has to be close to the original. Now, get creative! :catgirl: [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]To clear that up, as Internet often obscures,

I wasn't being snide. I was being sad. As in I was completely drunk then and posting while drunk, as I've discovered is an embarrassment. Sorry about that, but no, I wasn't being snide. I was being melodramatic as only someone intoxicated can be.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Well then... putting that bit aside... all entries are in so this round is officially open for voting! Excellent work everyone in getting your poems in within the deadline. :catgirl:

Just a quick reminder though, don't forget that [COLOR="Blue"]cohesive voting[/COLOR] is required this time around! The instructions as to what that entails is included in each thread.

For anyone who only votes in one thread, once it gets closer to the deadline I will be sure to pm the member in question to remind them that in order for their vote to count they will have to vote on the other entires as well.

Anyway... start voting! :catgirl:[/FONT]