OtakuBoards

Old West Style RP?

Kenso

Just had a random thought, so I thought I'd pop it up in here. Would anyone be interested in an Old West RP, along the lines of Deadwood? And, if so, would anyone be interested in helping run it? I've never actually run a single-thread RP, and am honestly not sure where to begin (or even if it's that different from a full-forum RP).

I, personally, think it would be a lot of fun (or I wouldn't've posted this). And it has the potential for a lot of complicated storylines as people's lives (past and present) criss-cross, etc. Needless to say, it'd be the kind of RP that comes with a mature content warning, as you can never be certain what you'll run into here.

If this is in wrong forum or something, sorry. Just do what you do.
[COLOR="Green"][size=1]This is exactly the right forum for this thread, don't worry. - Sandy[/size][/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I'd be into that personally. I could help you with any ideas you have. I'm interested in playing with unconventional character types in the setting. Also, Clint Eastwood western's are some of my favorite movies period.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Saddle up Pilgrim.

Actually I think Domon tried one of these once but the lack of participants besides...uh...me... ensured its early death.

Oh well, doubtful you will have trouble attracting the right people now.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I can't decide if it'd be best to run one of these with a specific storyline in mind, or to make a list of character 'roles' to fill (saloon owner, sheriff, etc.), and have people design characters for that, or what. Any ideas other people may have are welcome too.[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I like the idea of there just being some plot point, and letting people create characters to interact in the world.

Maybe there's a bunch of Gold lost in the Arizona desert, waiting to be found by the first man to find it. Maybe there's an unlucky fellow with a whole lotta money on his head. Maybe there's a race to find a safe out on the range, and take it from whomever has it (like in "For A Few Dollars More").

I've never been a fan of the "fill the slot" style of sign up because it shortens up my creativity within the story.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]Well, there would be an unlimited number of free slots, of course. The 'roles' would be more of the 'need this in this kind of town, so who wants to make a character to do it'. There would be no personalities assigned, or anything like that.[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I hear ya. Do you plan on making this centered around one town?

(I was going to make a Man with No Name type of character, so I wasn't planning on being a saloon owner or town sheriff.)

I just kinda liked the idea of the characters being at odd ends with one another, but having some make alliances, others not, like The Man With No Name series (which, if you're not familiar with the movies, then your missing THE greatest series of westerns ever made).[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]I'll have to fix that, I suppose. I know more John Wayne than Clint Eastwood. The only Man with No Name movie I've seen is 'For a Few Dollars More' (although I've probably seen that four or five times).

The original idea in my head had indeed centered it around one town, like Deadwood, but your ideas have got all kinds of things running about my head at the moment.
[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

"For A Few Dollars More" is one of my favorite movies of all time, so your frame of reference is fine. Though I do suggest the other two in the series. I actually have not seen "Deadwood" or more than one John Wayne movie.

Eastwood and Leone's westerns are my only real frames of reference for the genre, as other Cowboy movies bore me before I can gt into them. The anti-heroism and hero mythos behind their films are just so awesome that I can't stand to sit through anything less awesome than those films.

But I can usually make something original work out if I'm given the opportunity and proper storyline. The call's all up to you.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]You need to expand your John Wayne intake. Trust me, it will do you good. I'd recommend 'The Searchers', just off the top of my head. If you want something with a little fun to it, check out 'The Fighting Kentuckian'. I can probably point out a more expansive list later.

The problem I worry about without a centralized location is too many characters too far apart. Even in a 'generalized' area out West, that's a lot of ground to cover. I'm afraid it would feel to artificial for characters to meet up regularly. Any suggestions for that, or is that pretty much something that'll have to be left to those who participate?
[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Well, you could make the center of the plot be something or someone located in a particular town or state, or general region, depending on how broad you'd liek the span to be. A wanted man in El Paso, the richest bank in the West located in Arizona, something like that.

Maybe have the city be bigger and fictional, or whatever. There's some suggestions.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]lolz cowboiz r awesome
/n00b

I think making the RP centred around one town sort of detracts from the point of a Western - the themes of loneliness and isolation in the desert and so on. However, I do understand your concerns regarding the characters being too spaced apart - it's something of a conundrum.

I think your best bet is to have it based in a single state at the very least. Your concerns about it being too artificial for characters to meet up could be dismissed if there's some kind of shared goal - gold buried out in the desert and a bunch of people racing to find it immediately springs to mind (but possibly because I watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly recently). With a overall plot like that, you could even have the more honest characters stepping in to try and find the gold, not just the low-down and dirty outlaws.

And saying that you'd like it in the vein of Deadwood suggests that you want something fairly gritty, rather than something a little more fun like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, am I right?

But in general I'd be interested in this if it ever made it to Auditions. If you need any help in running it or creating it, then please let me know and I'll see what I can do. I can't make any promises, though, as I'm just coming up to exam season in a few weeks' time.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='MoyakuKeramushe']Just had a random thought, so I thought I'd pop it up in here. Would anyone be interested in an Old West RP, along the lines of Deadwood? And, if so, would anyone be interested in helping run it? I've never actually run a single-thread RP, and am honestly not sure where to begin (or even if it's that different from a full-forum RP).

I, personally, think it would be a lot of fun (or I wouldn't've posted this). And it has the potential for a lot of complicated storylines as people's lives (past and present) criss-cross, etc. Needless to say, it'd be the kind of RP that comes with a mature content warning, as you can never be certain what you'll run into here.

If this is in wrong forum or something, sorry. Just do what you do.
[COLOR="Green"][size=1]This is exactly the right forum for this thread, don't worry. - Sandy[/size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'd love to try it out. Just let me know when it goes up.

[SIZE="1"]I'd actually really like to see another Wild West style RPG in the Theatre, as I recall DragonWarrior made two of them that saw some success, and with the level of interest already expressed here, I wouldn't be surprised if a new one would enjoy similar success.

As for whether you want to set it in a town or a larger area, I'd personally recommend maybe having the town as the central rallying point for the characters, but with things going on outside the town itself so characters can be developed more. The sort of compromise Blayze was talking about in his post.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well, it's begun. A thread is now started in the Auditions forum. All those interested, follow this link: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=809382]Beneath the Desert Sky[/URL][/SIZE]