OtakuBoards

Art Studio Contests

boothten

[size=1]Maybe OtakuBoards could start some weekly contests or something to help increase activity in The Art Studio? Maybe a Signature Of The Week, Large Art Of The Week, or anything of the like.

Maybe we could even start a Team Creation thread to help increase activity with older, as well as new members. We could make teams that have a max amount of people, and have their own private section in the forum for their team only. We could then begin doing Graphic Battles between two, or more, teams. The teams could also start writing tutorials, or something. I have no idea, but yeah ha.

To be honest, The Art Studios activity level is just downright sad, it was one of the most active areas when I first joined and was one of the reasons I really started to further explore graphic design. The only thing keeping activity there is the Graphic Worm, and that can only go for so long. I really want to bring the activity level back up, I'm referring people to the site, but I can only do so much as one person.
=/[/size]

[font=georgia][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Yes, Art Studio could use a bit of publicity. Tournaments are certified crowd drawers, and graphic battles have their fair share of audience. Another group project perhaps? Like [i]50 Themes[/i]? I wish I could start a project myself, but girl's gotta make a living.

But I will support whatever project you have in mind, boothten. I'm getting rusty in the art department, might be high time to fire up ye olde Photoshop 7 again. :D[/COLOR][/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]If you guys want to start some sort of contest or something then by all means, go for it. You don't need to ask permission, haha.

Of course if you're looking to create something big then the person to talk to would be Boo. I'm positive he'd be [b]more[/b] then happy to help with anything that will bring more members to the Art Studio. And I'd be willing to help as well. :D[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]Well, I know it wouldn't be a matter of making it. I'm sure making a post for a SOTW type of the thing wouldn't be out of the question at all, it's just that it needs people. I want to make sure I get some people to actually try out for it, it wouldn't be much of a contest if it were just between two people or something, ya know?

So, I guess the whole point of this thread really is: how could we get more activity in the Art Studio so that we can actually get some participation in these contests?[/size]

[size=1]Apart from getting people to come here, I guess it's just by starting it and hoping it'll be a bit active. Activity draws activity most of the time. I still feel a bit bad over having put the "Graphics Resources" thing in the fridge, but that also lacked attention so far. This could help the Art Studio get some more people interested/participating perhaps.

Earlier ideas:

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57925]Image Challenge 2007[/url]
[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58391]Graphics Resources Idea[/url][/size]

[quote name='8bit][size=1']What if we encouraged artists posting their own artwork by having a "Otaku Art Member of the Week/Month"? That would be neat.[/size][/quote]
[size=1]Maybe we could do that ALONG with a Signature Of The Week competition?
And maybe even a Large Art Of The Week? I was thinking the following:

[LIST]
[*]If possible, we could make a sub-forum in the Art Studio dedicated solely for art competitions.

[*]For a SOTW (Signature Of The Week) type of contest, we could set up a thread where members would vote for what the theme would be for that week. That poll would be open from Saturday morning until Sunday night. Then Sunday night, we would begin accepting entries (in a separate thread) until Friday night at 11:59 PM or somethin. Then voting would occur from Saturday morning until Sunday at a designated time. The winner would then be awrded a little "SOTW Winner" banner with his/her name on it. That would, of course, mean that we'd have to work out something so that only the members who win the contest would be able to have two banners in their signature at one time. Only two or three (or however many would be allowed by the staff) SOTW banner would be allowed at any time. Or I'm sure they could just be awarded the banner, not be allowed to post the banner if they already have their main banner up, and the member could just link to all of their awarded banners.

[*]The same concept would apply for a LAOTW (Large Art Of The Week) contest.

[*]And the same concept would apply for the OB Member Of The Month. The one exception would be that the 5 or 10 (or whatever designated number is decided) members would be pre-selected by an anonymous judging panel or somethin. Then, a public poll would be made showcasing five pieces of art for each member. A special banner would be made for them, and the same idea for the SOTW banner award would apply here.

[*]I was also thinking we could start graphic teams? We could have it so that no more then 10 or 15 teams exist at one time. A team leader (obviously the person who started the team) or co-leader would be in charge of starting a recruitment thread. There would have to be a minimum of five members in the team, and a maximum of like 30, or 50, or however many. Then we could have team graphic battles and have it so that each team has to participate in at least one every month, if not more. Teams would [b]HAVE TO BE ACTIVE[/b]. If a team isn't active at all, then the team would be disbanded making room for another person to create a team.[/LIST]

I have a few more ideas, but to be honest I can't think of them off the top of my head hahaha.
By the way, those were all just rough ideas. If anyone else has anything they want to add to them, or would rather see something not added, or if you even have any other ideas please feel free to do so.
;D![/size]

[quote name='James][size=1']If you create some cool new threads on Art Studio, I will promote them on OB World at theOtaku as well. That might give them a bit more coverage.[/size][/quote]
[size=1]That would be fantastic, James.
:animesmil[/size]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Ooh! Signature of the Week! I'm game!

While we're on it, how about reviving Rate my Signature? That was pretty popular, wasn't it?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]All of these ideas are great. Some of the smaller ones (like Rate my Signature) could even be launched immediately since they don't take much organization to start.

I don't think a sub forum for Art Contests is necessary, though. What we could do is have one "official" Art Contest going at a time and, similar to the Community Events forum, we could have a "[b]Current Art Contest:[/b]" type thing in the description of the Art Studio.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]Some of the ideas sound great. The [i]Signature of the Week[/i] especially. I think to have 3 contests a week going on is a bit much, but we could at least start with setting up one weekly or bi-weekly [i]Signature of the Week[/i] contest. The member award sounds like a monthly thing, though I wouldn't mind have a huge annual Art Awards (Wow, Aw[b]arts[/b]. Ahem, sorry) with favourite contests, artists, works and stuff either.

The [i]Current Art Contest[/i] thing sounds pretty neat, I must say. 8Bit's right when a separate forum would not be necessary, but this would fill that spot very nicely. Though if we have a standard weekly contest going on it might be more effective to name the current week's theme to work with or something. And a good notification for the whole Boards that voting rounds are on. Great thing is that everyone should be able to vote. Not sure about the poll though, because I'd still like to see a bit quality constructive criticism in the posts. Explaining why you chose this one signature over the others should be plenty, I suppose.

The team things might need some more activity to be able to work first. To have limits of 30 people per team might be a bit too enthusiastic.

Oh, and nobody's stopping anyone from starting a Rate My Signature thread. Please go right ahead with such ideas! As long as it has some pointers for the participants to work with so that it's still living up to the expectations of the Art Studio at least a bit. :whoops:

It warms me to smell Artsy activity. Like Lan, I have neat memories of very active periods and I would like to try to at least regain the activity, and rather even surpass the fun we had at those times. :3[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Some of the ideas sound great. The [i]Signature of the Week[/i] especially. I think to have 3 contests a week going on is a bit much, but we could at least start with setting up one weekly or bi-weekly [i]Signature of the Week[/i] contest.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Haha, I wasn't expecting all contests to launch at the same time. Starting off with one sounds perfect.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]The member award sounds like a monthly thing, though I wouldn't mind have a huge annual Art Awards (Wow, Aw[b]arts[/b]. Ahem, sorry) with favourite contests, artists, works and stuff either.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Likewise, especially the annual art award idea. That would be fantastic, kind of like the Nifty Fifty, but not? haha[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]The [i]Current Art Contest[/i] thing sounds pretty neat, I must say. 8Bit's right when a separate forum would not be necessary, but this would fill that spot very nicely. Though if we have a standard weekly contest going on it might be more effective to name the current week's theme to work with or something. And a good notification for the whole Boards that voting rounds are on. Great thing is that everyone should be able to vote. Not sure about the poll though, because I'd still like to see a bit quality constructive criticism in the posts. Explaining why you chose this one signature over the others should be plenty, I suppose.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I agree with everything in that little quote. Good catch there, Boo.
;D!

I'm especially interested in what James or any other administrator thinks of my idea for this:[/size]
[quote name='boothten][size=1']The winner would then be awarded a little "SOTW Winner" banner with his/her name on it. That would, of course, mean that we'd have to work out something so that only the members who win the contest would be able to have two banners in their signature at one time. Only two or three (or however many would be allowed by the staff) SOTW banners would be allowed at any time. Or I'm sure they could just be awarded the banner, not be allowed to post the banner if they already have their main banner up, and the member could just link to all of their awarded banners.[/size][/quote]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]The team things might need some more activity to be able to work first. To have limits of 30 people per team might be a bit too enthusiastic.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Any number would be fine. 10-15 would be perfect, the team members would be able to interact a lot better with each other if teams were smaller, and they would be able to participate a lot better in team contests with such a compact group as opposed to 30. Whichever number we all decide would be a good number, I was just throwing a random max number out there.[/size]

[size=1]With all the excitement and all I suddenly remembered the OtakuBoards Graphic Tournament that was held in 2005. It was meant as an event that would be held more occasionally than once, but so far it hasn't been done since that one time. So, I had better start planning that again. Maybe after a little bit of crowd pulling, this could prove useful to get some more interested minds to the Art Studio.

Hm, I've been trying to find the team battles we had done before, which might've been fun to repeat as well. It would combine the aspects of an actual contest and having graphic teams, except that the teams would keep changing of size and the members would be mixed up. No luck so far, though.

The little banner thing might be best to be found an alternative for, though. Maybe something with the member title would be nifty. Maybe a little medal of some sort. :)[/size]

[size=1]I started a "Rate My Sig/Avi" thread, so hopefully that gets some activity there.
Boo, if you have anything you'd like to add to my post, feel free to edit away.

Boo, I was hoping we could start a SOTW, we could start with voting what the theme would be? I'd love to know what your ideas for a SOTW are so far.
;D![/size]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Congratulations, boothten, and good job! Itching to make a signature just for your thread!

...After I draw my entry for Draw my Character. But capital effort, boothten![/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='boothten'][size=1]Boo, I was hoping we could start a SOTW, we could start with voting what the theme would be? I'd love to know what your ideas for a SOTW are so far.
;D![/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Sorry, I've been a bit busy but I'll get back to this asap. For the next 24 hours I'm hardly at a computer with any opportunity to work on the SOTW idea. Will be working (ironically infront of a computer, but I can't do anything except my work with it) from six in the morning until three in the afternoon and then from six to nine I'll be practicing with my band, so yeah. *yawn*

So far I've been tinkering with the idea of handicaps like in earlier handicap things. Size restrictions and themes, but maybe also colour, font, layer and such restrictions. Maybe that goes a bit far though. Anyway, if anybody has theme ideas, just shout.

I will make a little list here to start with:

Money
Love (Relationship) - Love (Friendship / Brothers / Sisters / Family)
War
Freedom
Culture / Specific culture
Stereotypes
Future
Power
Nature / Specific animal
Music / Specific genre[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]So far I've been tinkering with the idea of handicaps like in earlier handicap things. Size restrictions and themes, but maybe also colour, font, layer and such restrictions. Maybe that goes a bit far though. Anyway, if anybody has theme ideas, just shout.

I will make a little list here to start with:

Money
Love (Relationship) - Love (Friendship / Brothers / Sisters / Family)
War
Freedom
Culture / Specific culture
Stereotypes
Future
Power
Nature / Specific animal
Music / Specific genre[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Maybe we could even have more specific themes?
I was thinking like:

[list][*]Clocks
[*]Splatters
[*]Lyrics
[*]Cars
[*] maybe like a Freestyle one, where members could make whatever they want.
[*]we could possibly even do like a Member Dedication one. The most obvious one would probably be Desbreko haha, just make it The Legend Of Zelda related and you're all in hahah.[/list][/size]