OtakuBoards

The Von Braun Odyssey

James

[CENTER][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/indiavi.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8936/avatar21crewxq4.gif[/IMG] [IMG] http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/malkav.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER][SIZE="1"]
So much for insisting that she head back to the Von Braun, Jeff thought as Samantha insisted on getting the doors to the cargo bay area opened so they could check on the escape pods. It was going well since Samantha?s own security clearance was making it possible for them to override that of the outpost?s, but Jeff could easily see how Major Sijan looked far from amused. The Major was keeping her expression neutral but Jeff didn?t doubt that she was annoyed.

?[B]Here we are,[/B]? Samantha entered the room where the computers for many functions of the station were located. She wasted no time, completely ignoring the Major and the others with her as she moved instinctively to one of the operating terminals and began to take a look.

?[B]Let?s see if we can get the power restored so we can check on the escape pods.?[/B] She ignored the Major?s stern look before she too turned to a different terminal to check the logs in regards to the escape pods.

?[B]Jeff, please check the rest of the rooms to make sure none of the passengers wandered into this area.[/B]?

?[B]Yes ma?am. Though with the doors not working?[/B]?

Samantha smiled and stood up. ?[B]They would have worked before we arrived to this area.[/B]? She started heading towards the door further back in the room. ?[B]I can restore partial power long enough for us to check the escape pods, but without going to the stations power source it will only be running for a very short time. I don?t want anyone to be trapped in this area when it powers back down.[/B]?

?[B]Of course,[/B]? Jeff moved to open the door for her. It lead into a break room with tables and chairs in the center and storage units along the far wall for keeping the crew?s food. There were half eaten lunches sitting on the table, but other than to glance briefly at them he paid them no attention.

It took him little time to check what turned out to be two restrooms while Samantha peeked into the third room. ?[B]There?s no one in either restroom.[/B]? He looked to Samantha who was closing the door to the third room.

?[B]Nothing but storage boxes in that room.[/B]? Samantha immediately headed back out to where the computers were located; the Major was waiting for them.

?[B]I?ve checked the records for testing the escape pods. Three of them did not respond to the last check according to the records.[/B]? Major Sijan stated.

?[B]Thank you Major, if you could take your group over to the doors leading to where the pods are located, I?ll enter the code to activate the power for this area. We?ll only have thirty minutes before the system defaults and shuts things back down again.[/B]? She took a seat at one of the computer terminals.

?[B]Once we?ve done that we can go to the main power source to the station and fully restore power if necessary.[/B]? She waited only long enough for the Major to give her a curt nod and then leave with her group to head over to the set of doors that lead to where the escape pods were located.

?[B]What do you suppose happened here ma?am?[/B]? Jeff asked while Samantha accessed the computer system. ?[B]We still haven?t seen a single person or anything to indicate why they would have left.[/B]?

?[B]I don?t know Jeff,[/B]? Samantha replied. ?[B]The Director?s logs didn?t have anything in them other than the daily routine of station activity.[/B]?

?[B]The other thing I don?t understand is if some of them really did leave, wouldn?t the sensors on the Von Braun have picked up distress beacons from any escape pods if they were launched?[/B]?

?[B]They should have, if the pods headed towards Earth, but if they went in a different direction it?s possible they are out of range.[/B]? She paused and looked up at Jeff and gave him a reassuring smile. ?[B]There?s no need to worry, if the outpost?s crew did head out in a different direction, the Von Braun can easily overtake an escape pod. If that is the case, we?ll find them and pick them up.[/B]?

?[B]You?d need to know which direction they took though.[/B]? Jeff pointed out.

Samantha turned back to what she was doing, ?[B]It?s not as hard as you think. There are only three directions that would lead to a planet that would support life. We already know that if someone left they did not head to Earth, so that leaves only two directions to check.[/B]?

She finished inputting some commands into the computer resulting in half of the lights turning on. ?[B]There,[/B]? Samantha said as she logged out of the program she had been in before standing up. ?[B]Let?s get going, we don?t have a lot of time.[/B]?

The two of them left the room with the computers, closing the door behind them before moving for the doors leading to where the escape pods were. There was no sign of the Major who had most likely took her group into the area the moment the power was restored. [/SIZE]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[center][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/malkav.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8936/avatar21crewxq4.gif[/IMG]
[/center]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy]
A crew of three walked with the Major as she made her way toward the escape pods. Upon arriving at the section of the outpost, her crew immediately revealed the doors to be something not at all wanted, jammed. A displeased look from the Major immediately had them scrambling to right the problem. Three minutes passed with no luck and the Major’s patience grew thinner, she was already pissed as it was. [B]“What the hell is taking so long?”[/B] she asked her crew, calmly trying to hide the fury welling up within her.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy]Their answers were too frantic for her to care, and her eyes immediately began to wander. They fell upon an air vent slowly pumping oxygen. Immediately, she called her crew to go through the air vent and within two minutes, the door was open. Christie walked through the door to find the control panel mangled on the opposite side. Whoever had come through here last did not want to be followed. She made a mental note of that and kept moving. The next door had the same problem, and the crew solved it once again through the vents. All in all there were at least six doors before they finally made it to the pod deck. On arriving, not to Christie’s surprise, three pods were missing. She immediately tapped her earpiece and made a call to her favorite tool.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][B]“Woz, start downloading the security feeds from the outpost and find out when the escape pods launched. Alright baby?”[/B] she looked to her crew, [B]“What are you waiting for? We have time.”[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy]With that her crew immediately began a clean sweep of the pod deck. They checked ever corner, console, and corridor, desperately trying to find an answer for the Major. Upon their reporting nothing found, Samantha and her goon arrived. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][B]“Did you find anything?”[/B] asked Samantha, who looked as if she had just half walked half ran down this way. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][B]“Not a thing, we did get confirmation that the pods were missing however.”[/B] Christie said, running a hand through her hair, “There’s absolutely nothing to find here. We should move everyone back to the Von Braun.”[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][B]“I agree,”[/B] replied Samantha, [B]“I’ll assist where needed.”[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy]Christie almost told her she wouldn’t be needed. Honestly there wasn’t room for two sets of ovaries in this operation, and she couldn’t understand why Samantha insisted on being so annoying. Maybe she felt the same way. Christie logged on her headset and immediately began barking orders as she walked through the doors. Her demands were simple: usher everyone back to the ship and have the Von Braun get off this rock. As she moved, she couldn’t help but notice the clack of Samantha’s heels behind her. Annoying bitch.

[/COLOR][/FONT]

[center][img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/img] [img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/img] [img]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/img][/center]

Everybody sat on the floor, with their backs against the metal crates. Natalia had taken her torch and pulled the bottom end out, so that it turned into a lantern. She placed it on the floor between them.

'Are you sure they won't see that light?' asked Katelyn. She still seemed nervous.

Natalia shrugged. 'I think they might have just gone, but it would be wise for us to wait here a little longer. I would hate to bump into them on the way out.'

Viktor examined his watch. 'We still have a little time before the shuttle is due to depart. And considering that the passengers are now all over this place, I imagine it would take a long time to round everyone up.'

Zahir took Viktor's handkerchief out again and dabbed his forehead.

'Still claustrophobic?' Viktor raised an eyebrow and smiled.

'No,' Zahir shook his head. 'Just very warm. Don't you notice it too?'

The others nodded in unison. 'I think the life support system is struggling,' said Natalia. 'It's still running on back-up power in this sector, I'd say.'

Katelyn moved slightly closer to Viktor. He put his arm around her shoulder, perhaps to reassure her. Zahir wondered about the nature of their relationship, but said nothing. After all, he had only just met them and didn't want to intrude too much.

'So,' piped up Katelyn finally, 'what were you saying back in the office? Something about a Helix Program?'

All of the eyes in the room fixed upon Zahir. 'Er, well...yeah. I mean it's nothing major, just something I read in a magazine.'

'Magazine? You mean one of those space conspiracy things?' Natalia wore a slightly incredulous expression.

Her reaction reminded him of Khalid, who had never believed in the glossy space magazines.

'It's interesting,' Viktor interjected, 'that you read about a "Helix Program" in your magazines but that very same thing was mentioned on an official computer here in this complex. I don't remember hearing anything about this program back on Earth. So how would the magazines know that it exists?'

Zahir felt somewhat relieved; Viktor was right. The very mention of such a program on a secret NAR computer terminal did at least somewhat validate the magazines, if only on the surface.

Natalia crossed her legs and fixed her eyes on the lantern in the middle of the room. 'So, why don't you tell us about it then, Zahir?'

'I don't know very much,' replied Zahir hastily. 'Only bits and pieces that I've read. I'm not sure what it all means or how it should be put together...'

He took a deep breath. 'It really goes back to the Great Disaster.'

There was almost an audible gasp in the room. 'There are [i]so[/i] many conspiracy theories surrounding that,' said Natalia flatly. 'The fact of the matter is, almost everyone lost much of their family to that horrible disease. There's a reason it isn't considered polite to discuss it anymore.'

'Discussing it won't bring it back,' replied Katelyn firmly. 'Besides, it happened almost a century ago. Do you really think it will happen again? It was like the Black Plague - sometimes things come along that have devastating effects and we don't completely understand them.'

Natalia opened her mouth to respond, but Zahir interrupted. 'It doesn't matter anyway. The point is that the disease ended but we don't know anything about it, even now. It wasn't like we cured it or anything - we were completely at its mercy. And what's worse? We still don't know where it came from.'

Viktor smiled. 'I think I know what you're going to say,' he said confidently. 'I am aware of what those magazines suggest.'

Zahir almost blushed. He now felt somewhat foolish for even talking about the magazines in the first place.

'They suggest that the disease did not originate on Earth,' said Zahir finally.

'Ridiculous!' cried Natalia. 'Are you suggesting that those nutty historians are accurate? That the disease came from the Moon?'

'A lot of historians say it,' acknowledged Viktor. He seemed to be defending the idea, even though it was apparent he was not entirely sold. More than anything, Viktor at least seemed to have an open mind when it came to the Great Disaster.

Natalia huffed. 'The majority of credible historians say that this disease originated from somewhere in Africa. All the evidence points to that. How could it have come from the Moon, if there is no life there?'

'Because,' said Zahir hesitantly, 'miners in Andronov Prime made a discovery on the dark side of the moon. And that discovery triggered the spread of the disease on Earth. Or so the stories say.'

Zahir carefully added the last sentence in an effort to avoid coming across as too gullible.

'What, exactly, did they discover?' asked Natalia. 'And what does that have to do with the Helix Program?'

The others shared glances across the room.

'I don't know how they are related,' said Zahir finally. 'But the stories say that the miners discovered something underneath the Moon's surface. And there's one important question you have to keep in mind.'

'What's that?' asked Natalia.

'Who were the first people to contract the mystery illness?'

Natalia paused. When she finally spoke, she seemed almost horrified and surprised by her own words. 'The first cases of the disease were in Andronov Prime, as far as I remember...'

'Right,' said Zahir. 'And then the disease spread to Earth because Andronov Prime did not have the medical facilities needed to treat it. So the miners had to return home to local hospitals, where the disease spread further.'

Natalia's eyes widened. 'I have to admit, that does make sense. That still doesn't answer the question about what they discovered, though. It must have been biological, in order for them to have contracted an illness from it.'

'That I don't know,' said Zahir. 'There are a lot of theories, though. And there are apparently a few scientists who have tried to talk about it, but have been silenced by the Government.'

Viktor rubbed his hands together. 'A good old-fashioned Government conspiracy!'

The others laughed, with the exception of Natalia. 'There's something that doesn't make sense, though,' she said quietly.

'The Government banned all space travel for some fifty years after the outbreak on Earth. I remember that they had listed all sorts of reasons. And they [i]implied[/i] that the Great Disaster was principal among them. But this makes me wonder...why did they all of a sudden decide to return to space? And in such a major way? The Von Braun isn't exactly subtle.'

'I think,' said Viktor, predicting Zahir's response, 'that this might have something to do with the Helix Program?'

Zahir smiled. 'The magazines say so.'

The lantern flickered. 'Low battery,' muttered Natalia. She picked it up and tapped the underside.

'I think that means we should start heading back,' said Katelyn. 'Ms. Wells and Major Sijan must have left by now.'

The others stood up and stretched. 'I tell you,' chuckled Zahir, 'I would kill for a hot shower and some dinner.' Everybody laughed and agreed.

[align=center][IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/gaelavatar.jpg[/IMG][/align]

The walk back to the boarding craft was quiet. There was nothing much to talk about. Unless, of course, they wanted to start panicking and shooting off random theories as to why everyone had vanished. That wasn’t really Gael’s style. Unproven theories wouldn’t help anyone.

She often glanced back over her shoulders, trying to see if anyone else was following. Not out of fear of an attacked, but out of hope that the other passengers would return.

Although she tried to hide her uneasiness with a simple grace, she was probably failing. There was just a horrible feeling in the silence that seemed to drape over her as they were heading back to the shuttle.

[I]It’s just a little quake, don’t worry. It’ll be over shortly…[/I]

Gael had to focus real hard to not bite her lip. Why was she thinking of this now?

[I]What about my daughter?

Don’t worry, she’s safe.[/I]

It was that same feeling of dread… was that it? That same feeling of death…

[I] I won’t leave without her!

Miss, please, come back![/I]

Her steps stopped, she stood still for a moment. She glanced back over her shoulder. Where were the others that had boarded with them? What about the workers?

[I] She’s coming around! [/I]

[b]“Something wrong?”[/b]

Arthur’s voice brought her back to the present. She smiled, faintly.

[color=purple] “No, it’s fine. I was just wondering… when the others will be returning.[/color]

[b] “If they’re returning.” [/b]

[color=purple] “Don’t talk like that.” [/color] Gael scolded, frowning suddenly. [color=purple] “Even if they don’t make it back to the shuttle in time… then the people on the Von Braun will send a search party.” [/color]

Even though she spoke with such confidence in the matter, she was still glancing, checking for survivors… people returning.

[I] I’m sorry but they… didn’t make it. [/I]

Gael started walking again. They needed to get back to the shuttle before it left without them.

[center][img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/img] [img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/img] [img]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/img][/center]
?[B]It?s a pity we didn?t learn more.[/B]? Natalia said as she moved to open the door leading out of the storage room. Viktor didn?t give her the chance as he opened the door for all of them.

?[B]Maybe the computers are still on,[/B]? Zahir didn?t sound too encouraging. ?[B]I imagine they probably closed any files that we shouldn?t be looking at though.[/B]?

Katelyn was already at the door leading back to the computer room, opening it a crack to see if anyone was there. She turned back to the others who were waiting expectantly. ?[B]I think they must be finished since the door to this area is also closed.[/B]?

Viktor looked at his watch again. ?[B]There?s still enough time to take a quick peek at the computers to see if we can learn more about the Helix Program. We?ve come this far so we may as well take another look.[/B]?

?[B]I suppose so[/B],? Natalia opened up the door, hurrying through to go and look at the terminal she had been checking before they had needed to hide.

She still wasn?t convinced that there was any credibility to Zahir?s theories and the thought that the government would have lied over something so silly only made her feel irritated. Natalia hadn?t been working in management as long as she had without developing the ability to mask how she felt to a certain degree. She kept her movements sure and even to avoid betraying too much of her skepticism, after all it wouldn?t hurt to look.

Zahir seemed to sense her irritation anyway, ?[B]Perhaps we should just head back?[/B]?

Natalia smiled reassuringly at him as she took a seat, ?[B]No harm in taking another look, I may find the idea that we could have been lied to absurd. But it doesn?t mean I?m unwilling to find out. I?d rather know the truth, even if it turns out to be unpleasant.[/B]?

The three gathered around her as she tried to pull up the file that had been there before. This time all they got was a prompt asking for their user ID and password.

?[B]It looks like you were right Zahir,[/B]? Viktor frowned slightly. ?[B]They did lock down the access.[/B]? He looked around at the other computers, ?[B]Why don?t we split up and see if one of them was missed?[/B]? The others nodded and each of them started checking each computer terminal that was operational.

It didn?t take them long before they all gathered back to the one Natalia had first tried to look at. Katelyn was shaking her head as she approached the three who were expressing their inability to get back into the system. ?[B]No luck huh?[/B]? Natalia asked her once she was close enough.

?[B]No.[/B]?

?[B]We may as well head back then,[/B]? Natalia sighed a bit and then grinned. ?[B]Well at least that was more fun that a boring tour of the place![/B]?

The group chuckled as they headed for the door leaving the computer room. Their pleased expressions prominent when Katelyn tried the door only to find it locked. With a frown she tried it again. ?[B]That can?t be right.[/B]? She started hunting for a means to unlock it, but the emergency touch pad to the side did not respond when she pressed the panel to open the door.

?[B]What?s wrong?[/B]? Viktor asked.

?[B]The door is locked and it?s not responding to my requests for it to open.[/B]?

Landmark 03a: Alone in Space
[font=arial][size=2][color=#202020][center][b]North Atlantic Republic Deep Space Outpost (Security Log)[/b]

[i]NAR Shuttle Inbound...Docked.

Entry Dock...Activated.

Visitors Aboard Outpost...60 (10 Personnel, 50 Unknown).

Cargo Dock...Powered Down.

Cargo Dock Breached.

Cargo Dock...Emergency Power Activated.

Cargo Dock...Security Locks Engaged.

Entry Dock...Disengaged.

NAR Shuttle Outbound...Sensor Sweep Complete.

Visitors Departed Outpost...51 (10 Personnel, 41 Unknown).

Remote Counters Updated.

Total Visitors Aboard Outpost...0.[/size]
[/i]
[img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8932/escapepodvbzc6.jpg[/img]

[size=1][i]Image of one of the six Outpost Escape Pods. The pods are accessed via a Cargo Dock door. Escape pods are housed within a deep tunnel cut into the asteroid's surface. The struts underneath provide boost to allow the pod to escape gravity.[/i][/center][/font][/size][/color]

Landmark 03b: System Error
[font=arial][size=2][color=#202020][center][img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1483/ctrlroom2zc6.jpg[/img]
[/size]
[size=1][i]Image of Control Room 2.[/i][/size][size=2][/center]

[b]Excerpts from WPNN Broadcast:[/b]

"Early reports suggest a malfunction with the Von Braun's navigation system. So far, the error is only being reported out of Control Room 2, which contains the Long Range Starmap."

"The ship's Captain Sorokov tells [i]WPNN[/i] reporters (via video link) that the ship itself is still maneuvering correctly and that manual control has been engaged."

"The long-range mapping capabilities of the ship seem to be the only internal A.I. system suffering errors. This system provides basic mapping data for the ship's navigators, to allow them to circle the galaxy and return to Earth at the correct trajectory."

"Captain Sorokov says that all logs are maintained and if further problems arise, the course home can be mapped manually (and the ship steered manually if required)."

"Unnamed sources aboard the ship suggest that the A.I. malfunction is more widespread, but refuse to indicate the cause or exact nature of the problem."[/font][/size][/color]

[center][img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar1_crew.gif[/img] [img]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4489/avatar2crewcd2.gif[/img][/center]

[i]"I was lucky enough to sit down with none other than Lazar Sorokov last night. His office had told me that he would not allow an interview until the shuttle had safely docked with the Outpost, as he wanted to be sure that the passengers arrived safely.

Lazar Sorokov is, of course, the highly-secretive Captain of the Von Braun. I believe that this was his first ever major interview. Since I can't broadcast video back to Earth, my cameraman has saved the file and we will air it once we return."[/i]

Meryl Hunter switched off her voice recorder and placed it down at the side table by her bed.

She then walked over to a large pile of video equipment, which had been sitting in the corner of her room for the last few hours. Meryl had an uncanny eye for detail. She was also known as [i]WPNN's[/i] most senior political analyst.

An expert on domestic political matters, her assignment to the Von Braun came as quite a surprise (both for herself and her colleagues). Although she had a general interest in NARA's space program, she originally had zero interest in Captain Sorokov himself. At least, that was the case until she started digging through his past.

She reached down and flipped open one of the cameras. It was a hand-held recorder, used to film a documentary: [i]Life Aboard the Von Braun[/i]. It was easier to view that version of her earlier interview, rather than going through the larger cameras.

Meryl sat down and placed the recorder on a nearby table. She had a cigarette in one hand and it was connected to a long black cigarette holder.

The little screen in front of her flickered to life. She sat back and analyzed every word spoken.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] Thank you for agreeing to join us, Captain.

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] My pleasure.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] I want to begin by asking you a little about your career. What did you do before becoming Captain of the Von Braun? Did you always want to be a ship Captain?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Actually, I began my career as a scientist. I studied Computer Science in Moscow and I eventually began working for the NARA Computer Laboratory there. It was a very exciting time.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] I can imagine. What kind of work did you do for them?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Well, that was almost thirty years ago. At that time there were many fields of work being undertaken at the Lab. I was often assigned to different areas, but at one stage I took over my own project; we were developing complex A.I. systems.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] I see. So how did you end up in America?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] When I was about twenty-seven, I remember that NARA moved a large amount of its computing work to Washington Prime. I was moved along with nearly one hundred other staff. And I felt it was time for a change in career at that stage.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] What did you do?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] I joined the military.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] Hm, that seems like a very big career change...

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Not really. At the time, I was doing similar work for the American military. The nature of the A.I. projects were different, but the change of environment was wonderful.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] The American military? Which answered to whom? NARSIA?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] That's correct. Although I never had anything to do with NARSIA directly. I am not sure what they did with a lot of the data from our experiments.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] And then your life took another turn, didn't it?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Yes, it did. I was stationed in the Naval Unit, aboard the amphibious vessel [i]Oceanic Viking[/i]. After only a few months, I became Captain of that ship.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] And that's where the career as ship Captain comes in. How does that tie in with your current role, though?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Well, at the time there was talk of a new space program in the pipeline. Although many of us wondered if it was just a rumor, being that I had certainly never heard of it during any of my earlier work.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] But you became aware of it at some stage?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Oh, yes. It was interesting because there was a new agency created while I was captain of the [i]Oceanic Viking[/i]. It was called [i]Republic Space Administration[/i], or [i]RSA[/i]. The RSA was drawing on many different groups for knowledge, including the NARA Computer Laboratory as well as various NARSIA organizations.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] Did you know about the Von Braun right away or was there a long testing process?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] None of us knew anything about the Von Braun for years. All we knew was that RSA was calling on different groups to submit research and support to their efforts. Each part of the project was kept separate, so as to avoid any one organization having a monopoly on the RSA's work.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] So it was very secretive? Why?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Well I suppose you can imagine what the public's reaction would have been to the idea that they were going to launch a space craft for civilians. The RSA were initially only working on satellites and other low-orbit technologies. After a few years, they started to focus heavily on A.I. and robotics work.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] Did you then begin working for the RSA?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] My post as Captain of the [i]Oceanic Viking[/i] finished. Once my tour of duty was over, I became a consultant to the RSA's Computer Science Division. At that point, I learned more about the nature of their A.I. work. It was really quite fascinating; they were building complex A.I. systems that could handle everything from navigation to life support.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] It sounds like this project really captured your imagination.

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] It did, yes. I must admit, it was very exciting to be at the cutting edge of technology. It wasn't long before the RSA began testing prototype vehicles, although none were nearly as large as this incredible ship that we are in right now.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] How did your role change, then? Were you still just a consultant?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] Actually I became a test pilot. The RSA agreed to pay for my training. It was a wonderful experience. I had been involved with a lot of the computer engineering and now I'd learned how to pilot spacecraft.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] You were the obvious choice for Captain, then.

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] I suppose so.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] In that case, you would know a great deal about how the Von Braun works?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] I know as much as any Captain knows, yes. I am very lucky to oversee multiple departments, each of which operate different areas of this vessel. Admittedly, the Von Braun is significantly more complicated than a naval ship.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] In that case, I do have one burning question for you. I think all of our viewers back home will want to know: we have one entire dock of the ship that is off-limits to all passengers. Just what is so secret?

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] [Laughs]. I assure you, there is nothing secretive down there. The ship has major engine components down there and we also have a large storage bay for cargo. We don't want people going down there because we would not want anything to be tampered with. Don't forget, the Von Braun is a very delicate machine.

[b]M. Hunter:[/b] Even your engineers are not allowed down there, though.

[b]L. Sorokov:[/b] I don't know where you heard that, Ms. Hunter. I can confidently say that if we encounter any major engine trouble, we will be quite happy to dispatch an engineer. But, in day-to-day operations, it is not necessary for anyone to go down there.

Meryl switched off the camera. The interview continued for a further fifteen minutes, but somehow she felt unsatisfied with some of Sorokov's answers. She instinctively felt that several pieces were missing, but she couldn't place her finger on them.

She tended to believe Sorokov's explanation about the secretive deck. After all, what else could possibly be down there? And the Captain of the ship would have to know, given his level of responsibility. Although she almost felt that something was missing from his explanation, she did not feel that it raised any suspicion.

Meryl stood up and adjusted her nightgown. Her cigarette was half-finished. She walked over to the large window, which wrapped around one wall of her spacious hotel room. From there, an ocean of stars unfolded before her. Their soft lights trickled over her room in the darkness.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/indiavi.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8936/avatar21crewxq4.gif[/IMG] [IMG] http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/malkav.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER][SIZE="1"]
“[B]You should head back to the shuttle,[/B]” Major Sijan was saying as she left the area where the escape pods were located. “[B]We don’t need your assistance to round up the passengers from the Von Braun.[/B]”

[I]Uh oh… [/I]Jeff thought as Samantha came to a halt.[I] Here it comes.[/I] After watching the two carefully steer clear of one another since they first met he had known it was only a matter of time before the two were at odds with one another. Times like this always made him wish he could be elsewhere. So he did like he always did, kept his mouth shut and said nothing.

“[B]I’ll be the judge of whether or not you need my assistance.[/B]” Samantha replied firmly.

Like people scattering before a storm, everyone backed away a step when the Major stopped and turned to face Samantha, her expression unreadable. Jeff just suppressed a sigh and resisted the urge to take Samantha by the arm and drag her to the shuttle himself.

“[B]To be frank ma’am a civilian such as you wouldn’t have a clue when it comes to understanding when their assistance is actually needed.[/B]” It was clear that Major Sijan was holding back her irritation. “[B]I recommend that you head back to the shuttle for not only your own safety but for that of the passengers as well. The sooner we get everyone back to the Von Braun the better.[/B]”

“[B]I understand perfectly why you wish to get everyone back to the Von Braun Major but…[/B]”

“[B]No buts.[/B]” Major Sijan said firmly. “[B]I have a job to do and all you’re doing is getting in the way.[/B]”

“[B]Ma’am.[/B]” Jeff grasped her left arm gently. “[B]Perhaps it would be best if…[/B]” He halted at the look of annoyance in her eyes when she turned to face him. [I]Oh lovely. [/I]

“[B]Not now Jeff.[/B]” Samantha pulled free and turned back to face the Major. “[B]To be frank as you put it Major, just as you have responsibilities to the crew I have a responsibility to NARSIA and the crew of the Outpost. You are not in a position to understand if my assistance is necessary or not.[/B]”

“[B]Oh? You really think so? Even if you apparently have clearance that I do not, neither do the passengers. So unless you’ve been handing out that information, there is no where the passengers could have wandered into that we cannot follow.[/B]” She placed her right hand on her hip and leaned forward just a touch.

“[B]I’ll say it again, we don’t need your assistance nor do I need you getting underfoot either. This is not open to debate; this is my professional opinion and duty. Your safety and that of the passengers and crew comes first. So get moving before I have someone do it for you.[/B]”

Jeff waited tensely for Samantha to say something but when she did it was not what he expected her to do.

“[B]Very well[I] Major[/I].[/B]” She replied stiffly before she moved to head around Sijan and back towards where the shuttle would be docked, her brusque movements betraying her irritation.

Jeff kept his gaze to himself other than to glance briefly at Sijan as he passed by her. He offered her a brief nod of thanks for making his job easier to get Samantha back to the shuttle. Whether or not she understood was another matter, though he imagined that she did. [/SIZE]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/von%20braun/arthurmostdefinitely.jpg[/img] [img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/img][/center]
Arthur and Gael approached the boarding craft as an automated voice echoed throughout the outpost:

The transport will be leaving shortly. Please watch your step and make sure that you have all of your belongings!

“[b]We made it just in time,[/b]” Gael said, “[b]But where are the others?[/b]”

They peered into boarding craft. Not a single person was inside. Such a large group had been sent into the outpost, it seemed strange that nobody else had returned yet.

Arthur turned to Gael, “[b]Do you think they’re alright?[/b]”

It was then that Arthur noticed that the gem on Gael’s forehead had vanished as well.

“[b]Gael, your jewel…[/b]”

She ran her finger along her forehead, and her eyes widened with surprise. Suddenly the calm and collected woman was in a panic.

“[b]Where is it?![/b]” she shouted as she knelt to the ground, “[b]How could it have fallen loose?[/b]”

[right][i]Muriet, Spain - Four Years Ago[/right][/i]
“[b]Where is it..?[/b]”

The city was alive that night, more than it had been in decades. Europe was one of the first areas affected by the Great Disaster, and by far they were hit the hardest. The recovery had been slow, and entire towns had been abandoned following enormous casualties. Only a handful of cities remained in the area, most along the coast, and rarely was there anything worth celebrating.

However, that night was different. An alliance was announced between NARSIA and the area formerly known as Spain. There would be a new rule of law, yes, but also the gift of international relief. For so long the entire region had held out for its’ independence; to these people the reforms would be bittersweet.

Arthur was lost along the city streets, or at least about to be. His mother had been assigned by NARSIA to teach English to future government employees throughout the region, and like all of her trips, Arthur was all too eager to tag along. Their relationship had become strained over the past few months, especially following a recent reconnection with his father. She had discovered that the two had been exchanging letters, the only way they could communicate without detection, and although she forbade it, the mail continued.

Never having contact with the man before, Arthur had a million questions for the reclusive Edward Kendi. At first their hand-written conversations had been civil, not unlike the kind any distant relatives might sure. Unfortunately that changed quickly, and Edward’s writings had devolved into angry, paranoid manifestos on the state of world government. The return addresses on the letters had always been from Muriet, and being only a short distance it only seemed natural to try and meet the man in person.

The young man’s hands began to tremble as he read the letter he had received just a few hours prior. He knew the address on the note, as he had been advised by his friends to stay away. With much of the city controlled by rival gangs and corrupt officials there were simply some areas that foreigners should never see. And never after dark.

It seemed that the street lights became sparser and sparser as Arthur approached his destination. The uncertainty of the entire situation was making him nervous, although Arthur couldn’t quite understand what was causing it. His mother had always characterized Edward as a passionate, yet misguided man. Although she would never admit it, she was still madly in love with him when she walked away, and remained so for the rest of her life. Arthur’s opinion on his father was much more complicated than that, and he only hoped that this night would help him sort some of those feelings out.

He approached an older-looking house matching the description he had been given, and knocked on the door. Arthur could hear whispers and shuffling papers from the other side of the door before an enormous, dark-skinned man opened it.

“[b]Yes?[/b]”

Though Arthur wasn’t tiny in any regard, he suddenly felt like an infant.

“[b]I… I’m here to see my father.[/b]”

The man seemed puzzled, “[b]And who the hell is that supposed to be?[/b]”

The door opened a sliver more and a small handgun appeared from the darkness. The man motioned for Arthur to enter, and quickly shut the door behind them. The home was run down, with hundreds of newspapers and magazine clippings pasted across the walls. It was poorly lit, but Arthur could clearly see several figures standing in the shadows throughout.

“[b]Who are you?[/b]”

Holding the gun was a young woman, not much older than Arthur, with piercing green eyes and long, curly hair. She wore a tight-fitting leather vest, and little else.

“[b]Who are you?[/b]” she asked again impatiently, “[b]Why are you here?![/b]”

[right][i]Now[/i][/right]

“[b]Why are you here?[/b]” Arthur asked Gael as he crawled along the floor, desperately searching for her jewel.

"[b]I thought we had already discussed this.[/b]"

"[b]We had, but it doesn't make a lot of sense...[/b]"

Gael turned her head reluctantly, pretending not to hear him.

“[b]You’re a belly dancer, right? It just seems such a strange form of entertainment to have aboard a Western cruise ship, let alone the first space flight of the modern age…[/b]”

“[b]The passengers on board the Von Braun have more diverse tastes than you might assume, Mr. Clarke.[/b]”

“[b]It’s just that…[/b]” Arthur replied playfully, “[b]I imagine a woman of your particular skill set would make a small fortune if they chose a different line of work, and merely claimed to be a private dancer.[/b]”

Gael raised an eyebrow in disgust, “[b]Mr. Clarke! I don’t know what you think I do as a profession, and quite frankly, I don’t care. But I find it deeply offensive that you would show such little respect to a person you only just met.[/b]”

“[b]I didn’t mean any harm by what I--[/b]”

Our of the corner of his eyes Arthur noticed a small group approaching them from the distance.

"[b]Arthur what is it?[/b]"

“[b]They're here.[/b]”

[center][img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/img] [img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG] [IMG] http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Light filled the corridor. Zahir squinted and covered his eyes. He could see the silhouettes of two figures in the distance.

Viktor, Katelyn and Natalia walked slightly behind him. Viktor and Katelyn were walking in lock-step, whereas Natalia seemed to lag behind slightly. Her torch had finally given out and she was fumbling with its batteries as she walked. Zahir guessed that she wanted some time without conversation, especially after their discussion in the cargo dock. Natalia was sceptical when it came to the causes of the Great Disaster, but she was also a realist; when evidence and logic presented themselves, she was compelled to at least question her original views. Although she did not believe in a grand NARA conspiracy, she acknowledged that the mystery illness of the 1980’s originated on the Moon. At least in some measure, she seemed to be struggling with this. For his part, Zahir admired Natalia’s ability to see the possibility of a conspiracy, although he himself still had doubts. At least, he thought, Natalia was open-minded enough to consider alternatives.

One of the figures at the end of the hall waved. As Zahir’s group came closer, they could make out the figures. The taller of the two was Arthur, the man who Zahir had met outside Caesar’s Palace only a couple of short days ago. A woman stood next to him. She was slender and had an exotic air about her; Zahir felt he had seen her in a magazine or pamphlet somewhere, but he could not place her. She was adjusting a body jewel, as if it had come loose.

As the two groups met, they each shook hands and introduced themselves. They were now standing in the Outpost’s reception area. Arthur looked down at his watch. His eyes flicked between the watch face and Zahir, who was standing nearby.

‘It looks like we still have another fifteen minutes to board the shuttle. When Gael and I looked at it a few moments ago it was empty, though.’

Natalia raised an eyebrow. ‘Empty? Well, I suppose that means they will just have to wait for all the guests. The fact that they didn’t provide guides seems slack to me.’

Viktor chuckled. ‘That’s true, Natalia, but without guides we were able to take our own tour.’ He winked and a slight grin spread across Natalia’s face.

'Still, they locked us in,' replied Natalia. 'I'm sure it was accidental, but it was a hazard nonetheless.'

'You mean you didn't enjoy crawling through vents a second time?' Viktor laughed.

Natalia shook her head firmly. 'No, once was enough.'

‘Okay, so shall we head back then?’ asked Gael, who had already turned on her heel and begun heading for the shuttle dock.

The others followed. Arthur walked next to Zahir and the other three followed behind. Natalia produced a small notepad and jotted on it briefly. ‘What is that for?’ asked Katelyn, glancing over her shoulder.

‘Oh, I am just making a note of how terribly this trip has gone so far,’ muttered Natalia. ‘I shall speak with Captain Sorokov about it at the earliest opportunity. The lack of guides was very unsafe.’

‘You know the Captain?!’ Katelyn’s eyes widened.

‘It makes sense that she would know the Captain,’ replied Viktor. ‘After all, she runs the biggest casino on the ship. She would probably report to him at times, I’d think.’

Natalia put the notepad in her pocket. ‘Yes, although I actually report to the Chief of Entertainment Services, who then reports to the Captain. But if I have a serious complaint I can definitely speak with the Captain myself and go around the CVS.’

Ahead of them, Arthur and Zahir had begun their own conversation.

‘Fancy bumping into you again,’ laughed Arthur as he glanced down at Zahir. ‘Seems like you’re less straight-laced than you first appeared.’

Zahir blinked and looked up at him. ‘What do you mean?’

Arthur smiled. ‘Well, when we first met you seemed so young and…’ He paused, slightly awkwardly.

‘Naïve?’ Zahir finished his sentence.

‘Yes, I suppose,’ said Arthur, as his eyes shifted back to Gael who was walking in front of them. ‘I don’t mean that in a negative way, I just mean that you seemed so in awe of everything…it was refreshing. I never thought you would run off and have a highly illegal adventure aboard the NARSIA Outpost.’

Zahir blushed. Arthur exuded an air of experience and sophistication. Zahir almost felt that Arthur was making fun of him, although something about his general demeanour suggested that he was genuine. Zahir hoped he was, in any case.

‘It was one way to bring a little fun to this trip,’ said Zahir flatly. ‘I like the Von Braun, but I don’t have the money to enjoy all of those resorts on the upper deck. For me it’s just work and sleep, mostly. This trip to the Outpost was pure luck. I almost thought about swapping my ticket with a guy in my room.’

Arthur nodded knowingly. ‘I guess I am lucky enough to be enjoying the finer things on the ship. Still, my interest in this voyage goes beyond that of most passengers.’

‘Oh?’

‘Er, yes, well,’ Arthur rubbed his hands together. There was something he wasn’t saying. ‘Have you ever read New Frontier Magazine?’

Now it made sense; Arthur was a fan of the trashy sci-fi magazines from home. It made Zahir grin uncontrollably. He was suddenly reminded of Khalid’s utter hatred for the magazines and what they represented. He didn’t think he’d find another reader on board the ship.

‘I have a subscription,’ replied Zahir coolly. ‘I also read Secrets of the Space Race, but that only comes out quarterly and it’s very hard to find…’

‘I have the latest copy in my room back on the ship,’ said Arthur with a chuckle.

Zahir clapped his hands together. ‘Really? Wow. So…you wanted to learn more about the space program on this trip?’

Arthur nodded. His expression became somewhat more serious. ‘Yes. Although I never thought I’d discover much while on the Von Braun, being that everything there is so well-controlled. When I heard about this little Outpost trip, though, I knew I couldn’t pass it up.’

‘You were selected randomly? Imagine that!’

‘Not quite,’ said Arthur slowly. ‘I uh…[i]found[/i] my way onto that list. As I said, I couldn’t pass it up.’

‘Oh, well…’ Zahir’s response was cut short by a shriek ahead of them. As he looked up, he saw Gael standing against a large, thick door. Her hands were pressed against it and her frantic breath created a white glow on the glass that pulsated as she gasped.

Natalia ran forward instinctively. ‘Whatever is the matter?’ she cried.

For a moment, Gael did not respond. ‘The shuttle,’ she breathed. ‘The shuttle!’

Natalia ran up to her and put her hand on Gael’s shoulder. ‘What? Do you get shuttle-sickness or…’ She paused, as if her voice had been taken away.

As the others approached the large door, which led to the shuttle dock, they each noticed the problem.

Katelyn covered her mouth with her hands. ‘Oh my god. Viktor…’ she grabbed at his jacket. ‘There has got to be a mistake! We have to contact them! Natalia, don’t you have your radio on you?!’

Natalia did not reply. Gael began hyperventilating and Arthur helped her to her knees, where he instructed her to breathe slowly and deeply.

Zahir simply stood motionless at the glass door. The shuttle dock was empty. They had been left behind, on an almost-powerless Outpost with a broken communications system. They were stranded somewhere in space. Zahir put his hands to his face, noticing that it had suddenly become very warm. And then, without warning, everything went dark and he could feel himself falling backwards.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[color=purple]"It's okay, Arthur... I'm fine." [/color]Gael said, catching her breath and slowly calming herself down. She pressed a hand to her forehead. Her head hurt now, badly. It must be the stress. She gave a light laugh that wasn't really a laugh.
[color=purple] "It's been quite some time since I've reacted like that to anything. Forgive me."[/color]

[B]"Forgive you? For what? Being upset? Of course you would be. They just left us here..." [/B]

There was a 'thud' from beside them as Zahir hit the ground. Just like that, Gael seemed recovered. She was gone from Arthur's side and now instead by Zahir's.

She gently checked the back of his head to make sure he hadn't hit it hard when he fell. It wasn't bleeding, but he'd probably still have a headache when he woke up. And that probably wouldn't be long since most people recover quickly from a fainting spell after laying down, since it returned blood flow to the brain.

[b]"Is he all right?" [/b] Arthur asked, kneeling down beside Gael as she briefly examined him.

[color=purple] "Well, I'm not a doctor." [/color] Gael said with a light bit of humor that fell rather flat. [color=purple] "But he looks to be all right. Though I wish we had explored a little more. It would be nice if I knew where to get him some water for when he wakes up." [/color]

Arthur stood and looked back at the others that had explored the area.

[b] "Hey, does anyone know where we can get him some water?" [/b]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
[B][I]"Hey, does anyone know where we can get him some water?"[/I][/B]

?[B]The only water I recall seeing was at the eating area back the way we came.[/B]? Katelyn explained. ?[B]I?m not sure we?ll need it though.[/B]? She nodded in Zahir?s direction as he was already starting to come around.

?[B]Are you alright young man?[/B]? Gael asked even as she helped him sit up.

?[B]What happened?[/B]? Zahir looked confused.

?[B]You fainted.[/B]? Gael explained.

?[B]Uh?[/B]?

?[B]We still need to figure out how we?re going to get out of here.[/B]? Viktor looked thoughtful, paying no attention to how Zahir looked embarrassed over fainting. ?[B]I?m not sure what happened but it would be best to assume we are on our own and act accordingly.[/B]?

?[B]What do you suggest?[/B]? Arthur looked skeptical to Katelyn, though she could just be imagining it. The tone in his voice only reminded her of her own uneasiness at being left behind.

?[B]They were trying to get into the communication tower so it?s possible that they got it fixed.[/B]? He shrugged. ?[B]We won?t know until we go and take a look.[/B]?

?[B]I suppose you?re right,[/B]? Natalia interjected, accidentally cutting off Arthur who was starting to reply. ?[B]I?m still going to complain to the Captain about this.[/B]? She looked over at Zahir who was finally standing up. ?[B]Are you feeling up for a walk?[/B]?

?[B]Yeah,[/B]? he flushed, still embarrassed. ?[B]I?m fine, sorry about that.[/B]?

?[B]There?s no need for that. Honestly, I think all of us feel the same way. I have no desire to be stuck on this outpost.[/B]? Natalia shook her head. ?[B]It doesn?t make sense though, our passenger ID?s should have told the shuttle system that we weren?t onboard so why did they leave us behind?[/B]?

?[B]Passenger ID?s?[/B]? Katelyn grimaced. ?[B]If that?s the case? I forgot mine. It?s back on the Von Braun. So no one would have noticed that I wasn?t there unless they were actually looking.[/B]?

?[B]Wait, how can you get around the ship without it? Don?t you need those in order to use the lifts?[/B]? Zahir asked her.

?[B]Well yes and no, so long as you?re not trying to go into another level like first class, the system assumes you have the clearance to be there. The only thing different was that the holographic guide in the lift didn?t use my name, it just called me miss.[/B]? Katelyn answered. ?[B]I did have to get help from the staff to get back into my room though, since I?ve done that twice since I came on board.[/B]?

?[B]So it?s possible that other passengers forgot their cards as well and when the numbers were off, they could have assumed that no one was really missing.[/B]? Arthur signed. ?[B]Great, though that doesn?t change the fact that we are still stuck here.[/B]?

?[B]Then it?s time we did something about it.[/B]? Natalia said firmly as she headed towards where the communications tower would be.

Katelyn felt like laughing a bit as the group followed Natalia, not that she found the situation funny, but rather because out of all people, when things went wrong, somehow she was always involved. Just like when her parents had died. Sometimes it felt like she was always being left behind.

[center][img]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4489/avatar2crewcd2.gif[/img][/center]

'Somehow, I don't think the audience will sit down for a whole two hours of this,' muttered Ed Barker, Chief News Editor of WPNN. He was perched on the edge of a dining chair in front of the hotel room's complimentary television set. Such was his state of tension that the chair tilted forward as he balanced precariously. His head was low and his eyes were focused on a small screen attached to a WPNN television camera.

In one hand, he held a small notepad with a pen tucked neatly against its cover. A large cigar occupied his other hand. The ceiling was almost invisible due to the smoke that billowed from beneath his mustache.

Ed Barker was almost part of the furniture at WPNN; he had been working in the newsroom since the age of eighteen, when he moved straight from high school to intern at the network. As a boy, Ed was mediocre in stature, although he featured large, striking eyes and a sharp wit.

His relationship with Meryl Hunter had started with an argument over copy editing. Meryl joined WPNN after years of study and several other positions and she took exception to Ed's unpracticed and slightly clumsy demeanor. In reality, Ed was just as exacting, but his lack of tertiary qualifications and a slightly unfortunate drawl betrayed his humble upbringing.

After several years of working together, the pair formed a somewhat uneasy friendship. It was largely a friendship of necessity but over time they each began to respect one another.

Although Meryl was not terribly eager to spend much of the year reporting exclusively on the Von Braun's maiden voyage, the one saving grace was the idea that she might be free from the watchful eyes of the newsroom. At least, she thought, she could do things [i]her[/i] way.

One day before she was due to depart, she noticed a memo with Ed's name on it. Her worst fears had come true; Ed was to join her. The network executives did not want to risk any mistakes on such an important event.

Meryl reclined on her bed in the hotel room as the flicker of blue light bathed the room. Ed's silhouette appeared and disappeared on the wall behind her bed, as he hunched forward and inspected every second of footage.

'By the way, why don't you turn the lights on?' he grumbled. 'It's already morning for God's sake.'

Meryl sighed and stared up at the ceiling. 'I haven't slept all night, Ed. I have been awake going over that footage just like you are now; I don't know why you [i]insist[/i] on doubling-up the work.'

Ed did not respond, but instead puffed heavily, sending a cloud of thick smoke into the air.

The bed was luxuriously soft and Meryl stretched out on it. She wished that Ed would leave as soon as possible so that she could be by herself. She reached over to the bedside table and plucked a half-full martini glass from it. How long had it been there? It tasted disgusting. She put it down and took a deep breath.

Finally, Ed stood up and switched the monitor off. Darkness filled the room, except for the orange glow of his cigar and the silver-blue star field outside the panoramic window.

Meryl looked up at Ed and considered him in the dim light. He was now well into his fifties, but he was lucky; so many men, Meryl thought, lost their vitality as they grew older. It was as though life and time sapped something from them, especially in the news business. Ed was fortunate, because age had graced him with an air of sophistication. He had grown into his looks. His wavy hair was dark with a silvery streak and he wore thin-rimmed gray glasses that emphasized his still-large and still-striking eyes. A reasonable mustache sat on his upper lip and he had a sharply-angled jaw that framed his face handsomely.

It was a shame he was such a prick, thought Meryl as her eyes strained in the darkness.

'Well, this'll have to do,' muttered Ed. 'You were very soft on him though.'

She knew what he was referring to immediately. 'The secret deck?'

Ed took a long drag on his cigar and its end flared energetically. 'Yes. We know there's something going on there. So many sources.'

Meryl shook her head. 'Mostly anonymous tipsters, Ed. Come on, really, do you think we would improve our standing as a responsible news outlet if we start pedaling that conspiracy rubbish?'

Even in the dim light, Meryl knew that Ed's eyebrows had furrowed.

'I'm just saying,' continued Meryl before Ed could respond, 'what do you expect me to do? The Captain has given his answer. And we are about to broadcast that to Earth. If we start accusing the Captain of lying, we will only make it impossible to interview anyone else. It's not worth it.'

Ed pointed his cigar at Meryl. 'The Captain doesn't know what's on that deck,' he said matter-of-factly. 'Isn't that obvious? Did you see the way he shifted in his seat when you asked? I doubt he even has access to that deck. He gave you a generic response that you swallowed without question.'

Meryl stood up and straightened her nightgown. She hadn't yet had breakfast and she never got dressed until after that. Ed, on the other hand, sported an expensive shirt and tie. It made Meryl feel sloppy.

'As I said,' she repeated, 'what was I to do? Sit there and tell him that he's a liar?'

'You did not press hard enough.'

Meryl opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. Ed always had a way of making her furious and she hated it; he always remained so calm and here she was, wanting to smack him.

'Don't worry, we will find out what's going on down there,' she said finally. Her self-restraint was obvious.

'I hope so,' replied Ed quietly. 'They're expecting something big out of this trip.'

'The whole space hotel thing isn't big enough for them, eh?'

Meryl could feel Ed glaring at her. He put out his cigar on a nearby ashtray and approached the door.

'In the end,' he said flatly, 'it's your career that you need to worry about. Don't question their motives, just make sure you get the story.'

And with that, the door closed behind him.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
?[B]Well that was a waste of time.[/B]? Natalia sounded frustrated, something the rest of the group could relate to. It was possible that the communications tower had been fixed but both the door leading to that area as well as the center for controlling the outpost were locked.

?[B]We?ll just have to look for another way to contact the ship.[/B]? No one said anything to Gael?s statement as they ran the possibilities through their minds.

Just how were they supposed to do that when it was looking like every option would be closed on account of the automatic security at the outpost? There had to be some means for them to contact the ship or someone back home, the only question in Viktor?s mind was finding it. He was certain it existed; it felt like he was overlooking something but the whisper in his mind that he had the answer refused to solidify, staying out of conscious reach.

?[B]Look we?ve been here for a while so it might be best to head to the cafeteria and get something to drink.[/B]? Viktor suggested.

?[B]I?m not really thirsty though.[/B]? Zahir objected. ?[B]I?d rather keep searching for a way to get out of here.[/B]?

?[B]So would I.[/B]? Arthur said, ?[B]But it probably wouldn?t hurt to get something.[/B]?

?[B]I?d like to get something,[/B]? Katelyn smiled worriedly. ?[B]I?m kind of hungry too; I rushed to make it for the shuttle so I didn?t get anything to eat this morning.[/B]?

?[B]Unless anyone objects lets head over to the cafeteria then.[/B]? Viktor looked at the group but no one objected, he clasped his hands together. ?[B]Alright then, we can take a brief break and start working on what we should do next.[/B]?

?[B]What is there to do?[/B]? Natalia headed down the corridor, following the signs indicating which way to go. ?[B]If we can?t get into the communications tower, unless the crew of the Von Braun realizes that we are missing, we?re stuck here.[/B]?

?[B]Not necessarily, didn?t you say the crew here was on a staff rotation?[/B]? Something was still nagging at Viktor and he thought that by discussing things he could figure out just what it was that he was forgetting.

?[B]I really don?t know.[/B]? Natalia shrugged. ?[B]I can?t think of any other reason why the outpost?s crew would have left.[/B]?

?[B]You?re forgetting to consider what caused the great disaster in the first place.[/B]? Zahir said softly. "[B]Its possible they are connected somehow.[/B]"

?[B]I wasn?t forgetting.[/B]? Natalia huffed a bit, her steps betraying a bit of irritation. ?[B]I just refuse to accept that idea that there is some conspiracy without any proof.[/B]?

?[B]If it?s a conspiracy then I doubt the government would leave proof lying around where just anyone could find it.[/B]? Arthur said dryly.

?[B]Well true,[/B]? Natalia admitted reluctantly. ?[B]I?m still not going to blindly believe just anything I hear. That would be foolish.[/B]?

?[B]I don?t think anyone is asking you to blindly believe,[/B]? Katelyn said softly. ?[B]Only that you consider the possibility.[/B]?

?[B]Why? You think there?s some truth to the rumors? Is that it?[/B]?

?[B]No.[/B]? Katelyn shook her head. ?[B]But I kind of wonder what drove that horrible terrorist group Terra Prime to do what they did when they tried to stop the Von Braun from being built and launched.[/B]?

?[B]I?m surprised to hear you say that, especially after what happened to your parents.[/B]? Natalia paused at the end of the corridor overlooking where the tables were located.

Viktor noticed how Katelyn stiffed a bit at the mention of her parents, he was pretty sure what had happened, but he was not going to directly ask her such a thoughtless question. He made a mental note to check into it when they got back though.

That was when it hit, checks! Of course! [B]?I know what we need to do[/B].? He smiled when the others turned to look at him. ?[B]We need to get to the escape pods. They have their own life support systems and though communications for them are limited, they have automatic distress beacons. If we can get one launched, the Von Braun will pick that up and come and retrieve the pod.[/B]?

He couldn?t believe it took him so long to remember that particular detail. If they could do that, even if the Von Braun didn?t pick them up it could at least take them back to Earth.

[center][img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/img] [img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG] [IMG] http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Zahir gulped down a mouthful of cool spring water. They'd found a vending machine near one of the kitchens and Arthur had gladly broken it open. Each of them took a bottle for the trip.

Katelyn, Viktor and Gael walked together. Gael and Katelyn were chatting amongst themselves and Viktor seemed to be content to listen. They were talking about everyday subjects - it was surreal given their circumstances, but Zahir wondered if this was simply a way for them to remain calm.

Natalia walked behind them. She was some distance back. She had taken a box of batteries and stuffed its contents into her pockets as a precaution. As they walked through intermittently-lit corridors, Natalia routinely shone the light behind them, as if to make sure they weren't being followed.

Zahir and Arthur walked ahead of the others. 'Do you think we'll make it out of here?' asked Zahir.

Arthur looked straight ahead. His eyes seemed fixed on some point in the distance. 'Who knows,' he said quietly. 'Somehow this all seems so predictable, though.'

'How so?'

'We should never have come this far into space; there's a reason why we stopped exploring beyond Earth. We tried to dominate space once before and look what happened.'

It was true that the Great Disaster had almost been man's downfall. Those who survived lived with the affects for years afterwards. And many of them passed the mystery illness on to their children. It was a constant reminder to mankind; [i]don't meddle where you don't belong.[/i]

Surely there was more to it than that though. Why should man be punished simply for satisfying his natural urge to explore?

Zahir had pondered these questions for years, but had never been able to answer them.

Arthur looked down at his hand in the dim light. It bore a shallow scar across the back. He must have noticed Zahir's eyes, which were fixed on it.

'Oh,' he mumbled awkwardly, 'just an old injury. Life can be very unforgiving.'

'I suppose,' replied Zahir, unsure of what to say. 'I felt lucky to be in America, except that, well...'

Arthur glanced down at Zahir. His eyes were clear and sharp. To any other person he may have appeared intimidating, perhaps even cold and focused. Somehow, though, Zahir felt safe with Arthur there. He was comforted by him.

'Well, I had a job I didn't like and I was living with someone who made life difficult,' said Zahir finally.

'A friend?'

Zahir nodded and looked away. 'You could say that,' he said quietly. 'At least, someone who is [i]supposed[/i] to be there for support, but who spends his days making others miserable. He is very selfish.'

'But you miss him all the same, don't you?'

Zahir blinked. When he looked up at Arthur again, he wore a very faint smile.

'Er, well...I suppose that's true. It's just that you get used to something and being so far away feels strange.'

Arthur nodded knowingly. 'I know what you mean. Even if the person you care about doesn't seem to care about you, it doesn't stop you seeking their approval. It can consume you if you aren't careful.'

'That's why I think this trip has done me good,' said Zahir hesitantly. 'Although, if we die here...'

He paused. It just didn't seem right - surely this was not how it was supposed to end.

Arthur placed a hand on Zahir's shoulder. It was warm and solid. 'We will not die, I promise you.'

[CENTER][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/indiavi.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/malkav.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER][SIZE="1"]
Jeff was glad to back on the Von Braun. He may not have been privy to all that was going on but the fact that they had found no one there, not even a basic crew had been slightly unnerving. Even if they had been undergoing a staff rotation there should have been some personnel there. But from what he had overheard from those working directly for Major Sijan during the trip back to the Von Braun, they had found no one other than the passengers that they had brought over with them.

Now, as evening approached or rather what could be considered evening on board the Von Braun, he was sitting at the bar in the Casino enjoying a drink. He had done little more than take a sip or two since he was not the type to have more than he should. Jeff was debating on whether or not to move to one of the tables up against the wall and thus into a position to watch the patrons when a semi familiar face took a seat next to him.

?[B]So the watchdog is off his leash for a change,[/B]? it was the Major. ?[B]I was beginning to think that you didn?t dare breathe without little miss straight-laced giving you permission.[/B]?

Jeff recognized a bit of a taunt when he heard one though he chose to ignore it. Samantha was like that. Instead he just shrugged. ?[B]That?s the nature of security work.[/B]?

?[B]And that?s why you?ll never see me babysitting higher ups that haven?t learned how to not get underfoot.[/B]? Sijan quipped even as she waved her fingers for the bartender. Either Jeff missed it or the man already knew what she wanted as he brought something over and set it on the counter in front of her. Jeff waited patiently while she took a long drink and then smirked.

?[B]Hell, I wouldn?t do your job no matter how good the pay was.[/B]?

Jeff grinned slightly, taking another sip of his drink, ?[B]Well some of them are nothing more than glorified babysitting positions, but it is a job.[/B]?

?[B]True.[/B]? Sijan agreed. ?[B]So how?d you manage to slip the leash long enough to get a drink?[/B]?

?[B]Miss Wells is in some sort of meeting with the Captain.[/B]? Jeff explained. ?[B]She?s been good about seeing that I have time off anyway.[/B]?

?[B]So the [I]watchdog[/I] is not invited.[/B]?

Jeff shrugged. ?[B]It?s Jeff, and no I was not. But then that too is the nature of security work. Just as she has clearance that I imagine no one on board the ship does.[/B]?

?[B]Oh? And why do you say that Jeff?[/B]? Sijan?s look was unreadable, though Jeff got the impression that she was more than just a little curious. "[B]It's not unusual for someone like her to have access to something she doesn't need to.[/B]"

?[B]Considering what she did at the outpost it?s kind of obvious, but you're right it?s not important or all that unusual.[/B]? That wasn't why he was thinking about it.

?[B]In other words you?re not going to voice the thought that she might have clearance to that sealed deck on the ship.[/B]? The Major finished her drink and motioned for another one, she gave him an amused half grin. ?[B]Don?t look so guarded Jeff, if you don?t want to discuss it that?s fine by me.[/B]?

?[B]That?s not it,[/B]? Jeff protested. ?[B]I do need to get going though[/B].?

?[B]Yeah, yeah[/B].? Major Sijan turned back to take the new drink being placed in front of her on the counter. She waved her right hand dismissively in Jeff's direction without bothering to turn and look at him. ?[B]You do that [I]watchdog[/I]; you wouldn?t want to make your keeper wait.[/B]?

Jeff put his nearly finished drink back on the counter and got up to leave. Sure he was curious like everyone else as to what was actually on the restricted deck, but he sure as hell wasn?t going to actually ask Miss Wells about it directly. By now her meeting was probably done and he always made a point of never being late.[/SIZE]

Arthur clutched onto his water bottle tightly as the group walked briskly through the corridors. He had been drinking it regularly since they found the vending machines, but his throat still felt dry. If they were to remain stranded for much longer, Arthur feared, his condition would only get worse.

He decided to stay close to Zahir. Even though he hardly knew the young man he still felt obligated to look after him. The prospect of being stranded in space was terrifying, but it seemed that he and Zahir were keeping one another sane.

Gael’s formal manner was beginning to wear thin for Arthur, and he made a mental note to keep his distance from her. Already he had revealed too much about his feelings on the Great Disaster. The severity of the situation was making it more and more difficult for him to keep the charade of confidence up.

“[b]Where did you say you were from, Zahir?[/b]" Arthur asked, his voice scratching slightly.

“[b]I’m from Afghanistan, in the area occupied by N.A.R.A.,[/b]” he replied, “[b]It’s not Washington Prime, but they have made amazing strides in recent years.[/b]”

Arthur nodded, “[b]Oh I bet. I used to travel with my mother across Europe. In the course of a few months they were able to transform wastelands into thriving cities.[/b]”

“[b]They say traveling is an incredible learning experience. I wish I was able to do more of it…[/b]”

“[b]There’s nothing to envy, I assure you.. The faces start to blend together after so long, and it becomes so hard to make friends, or trust…[/b]”

Arthur interrupted himself with a violent cough, catching the attention of the entire party.

“[b]Are you alright?[/b]” Zahir asked placed his hand on Arthur's shoulder.

“[b]I’m fine, Zee. Please…[/b]” Arthur said as he removed Zahir’s hand from him forcefully. For only a moment, Arthur raised his hand, allowing his watch to slide back to reveal several puncture wounds along his wrist. Natalia’s eyes narrowed as she noticed the small bruises, as did Zahir’s.

“[b]Do you need anything more to drink?[/b]” Natalia asked Arthur, offering her water bottle to him, “[b]It looks like your own is running low.[/b]”

“[b]It was only a cough. My throat caught some dust in here, I guess.[/b]”

Arthur shook his head and increased his pace, hoping to move past the rest of the group. Zahir and Natalia shared a nod as the others remained lost in conversation.

“[b][i]Did you see that?[/i][/b]” she whispered softly.

“[b]I’m not sure--[/b]” Zahir said as he leaned his head in, “[b]I don’t know what to think.[/b]”

“[b]I’m afraid I do,[/b]” Natalia sighed, “[b]If you’ve worked in a casino long enough you’re able to recognize an addiction when you see it.[/b]”

[b][i]Biohazard[/i][/b]

The cargo dock was cold. Natalia’s flashlight-cum-lantern gave the metal storage crates surrounding them an eerie white sheen. All they could hear was the soft, dull hum of the Outpost’s environmental control system. It struggled to keep the dock full of air. When the power had gone out, they had been able to escape from the storage room; the locks (as well as almost everything else in the dock) had been rendered inactive.

And now, all six of the stranded stood at the far eastern end of the dock. Natalia held her lantern up, so that its glow fell against the expansive wall. There were six large industrial double-doors, which looked as though they ought to slide open.

‘The escape pods are behind these doors and down.’ Natalia’s voice echoed throughout the dock. Her breath was visible in the white light.

‘Down? Down where?’ Katelyn’s large eyes examined the doors. The whole situation made her uncomfortable.

‘I believe the pods are under the surface,’ replied Viktor calmly. ‘They sit on small launch pads at the bottom of metal shafts. You have to use a ladder to climb down to them. They fire off the pads and exit through portals somewhere above.’

Everybody looked upwards, as if trying to imagine the trajectory.

‘You mean, we have to climb all the way down under the rock just to access them?’ Katelyn’s face had gone from stunned to incredulous. ‘That doesn’t seem very effective in an emergency!’

Arthur rubbed his chin thoughtfully. ‘Well, I suppose that when they launch they send off a blast from their engines. It’s probably safer to do that underground considering how close these things are to the building.’

Katelyn pouted. ‘Still…I don’t know if I want to climb down an underground ladder…’

‘Better than staying here to face who knows what fate,’ said Natalia matter-of-factly. Zahir appreciated Natalia’s strength. She did not seem outwardly worried about their situation, but rather, her inherent survival instincts came to the forefront. Nothing was going to beat Natalia, it seemed.

‘We do have another problem though,’ said Arthur thoughtfully. ‘How to launch these pods? We need to open these doors, but since there is no emergency alarm, we’ll have to do it manually. I assume there’s a terminal somewhere around here, which controls these doors. I imagine it would be pretty simple to access.’

Natalia swung her lantern around. ‘I think we’ll have to go back to those offices on the north wall. All of the computers are up that end.’

The entire group began walking northward. Gael rubbed a foot against her leg. ‘I’m so tired of walking,’ she murmured.

‘Not much longer,’ called Natalia from the front of the group.

Zahir looked behind him and nearly walked into Arthur. The group had stopped. Zahir moved to one side to get a better view. A large stack of crates sat in a corner, slightly further away from the others. They were covered with what looked like a large, dusty canvas. It was not secured to the floor, but the placement looked haphazard, as though the crates had been moved out into the dock at the last minute.

‘I didn’t notice this before,’ said Natalia, approaching the crates.

Katelyn put her hand up. ‘Shouldn’t we be headed straight to the computer? We don’t have time!’

Natalia lowered her lantern. ‘I think we have a few minutes; the computers can wait for us. I want to know what’s going on here. It looks like they were about to move some of these crates…but where?’

Arthur approached the crates and put his hand on the canvas. He tugged at it gently. ‘It’s loose. Unsecured.’ Then, a moment later, the shroud covering the stack of crates fell away with a single yank. As a plume of dust filled the cold air, Arthur coughed heavily and stepped backwards. Zahir reached out for him, fearing he may fall, but he did not. Everybody fell silent.

Zahir estimated that there must have only been about half a dozen crates. They were slightly smaller than all the others in the dock and were covered with orange symbols.

‘What does that mean?’ asked Gael. ‘I’m sure I’ve seen that logo somewhere before…’

Natalia covered her mouth and stepped back from the crates. ‘Don’t go any closer to them,’ she whispered. ‘Biohazard.’

Zahir could feel his stomach sink. Each crate had a vivid orange biohazard logo on it. They looked sealed, but who knew what had been blown up in the dust?

Arthur coughed violently and clutched his chest. Zahir put a hand on his back. ‘Are you okay?’

This time, Arthur did not remove his hand. He gestured towards Zahir’s bottle of water. ‘Sorry,’ he coughed.

Zahir took the bottle and put it to Arthur’s lips. He drank slowly and then coughed again. ‘I’m okay,’ he said finally. ‘I’m just very dehydrated, is all. Sorry to take your water, Zee.’

‘Don’t worry about it,’ replied Zahir, his hand still on Arthur’s back. ‘I just don’t want anyone to get sick, especially not now.’

The entire group edged their way past the crates, towards the series of offices that sat just nearby.

‘What the hell was that?’ asked Katelyn, her breath becoming short as her pace quickened. ‘Why on Earth would they have biological material here?’

‘I think the bigger question,’ interjected Arthur, ‘is [i]where[/i] they were planning to send it.’

The outer door of the office was still open. Everybody ran inside and Viktor closed the door behind them. ‘Damn it!’ he cried. ‘Look.’

The computer terminals were powered down. The entire room was dark, except for Natalia’s light. The power failure had killed the computers.

‘Oh my god,’ whispered Gael. ‘Don’t tell me this is it…surely not!’

‘No, there’s something else here,’ said Zahir. ‘Look over there, back near the storage room we hid in earlier.’

He pointed to the rear corner of the office. There was another door. It had been locked earlier, but the power failure had disabled the lock. A strange glow emanated from underneath the door.

‘How is the room lit up if the power is off?’ asked Viktor.

‘Must be running on its own power,’ said Natalia as she approached the door. ‘Maybe the security terminal is inside. It would make sense, after all; a simple power failure shouldn’t stop them being able to launch escape pods.’

Viktor walked forward and grabbed the door handle. He twisted it, but it did not seem to move. ‘We need to get this door open,’ he muttered. ‘I need something to push against it, now that it’s unlocked.’

Everybody frantically looked around the office, in an effort to find a suitable object. Finally, Gael called out, ‘Over here! Fire extinguisher.’

She handed it to Viktor, who proceeded to slam it against the door. The thunderous bang echoed throughout the office. One, two, three strikes and finally the door snapped open. Green-grey light filled the office and masked their faces.

[b][i]Species 167E[/i][/b]

Zahir covered his eyes and stepped forward, into the room. It took his eyes a long time to adjust to the foreign light. He heard the heavy metallic thud of the extinguisher hitting the cool, tiled floor.

The room was completely different to anything they’d seen on the Outpost before. There were stark white desks everywhere. Larger tables punctuated the room and were covered neatly with metallic implements of different shapes and sizes. Some were larger and had rounded ends, while others were long and thin, with serrated sides. Others fanned outwards like spokes and others still appeared to be combinations of cutting tools and plastic tubes.

Zahir reached out into the air. He came across Arthur’s arm. Instinctively, he held Arthur’s wrist. He wanted so badly to vomit, but he could not move or speak.

At the rear of the room, behind the tables, computer terminals, stretchers and instruments were a dozen large tubes. They were around a meter wide and approximately three or four meters tall. Each end of the tubes were connected to the floor and ceiling. They seemed to be filled with a dark, smoky liquid. Zahir knew it was liquid because he could make out bubbles rising among the whispy, smoke-like liquid.

Viktor was the first to step into the laboratory. His footsteps echoed loudly on the tiles.

Natalia put her hand out towards him. 'Don't go over there,' she stuttered. 'Don't.' Her voice faded as she stared unblinking at the glassy columns.

Viktor came close to the nearest tube and ran his hands along it. It was glass, he thought, and it was very cold. He squinted and moved closer to its surface.

The interior of the tube seemed to be filled with two substances, from what he could see. One was almost clear, like water. The other was a dark purple liquid that didn't seem to entirely mix with the water. It undulated and curled around as the bubbles ran through it.

Katelyn suddenly ran over to him and stood behind him, with her hands on his sides. She peered around his shoulder.

'W-what's that?' she stammered. 'Where are we?'

Arthur went to move, but noticed that Zahir was still tightly gripping his wrist. He turned and put his hand on Zahir's. When their eyes met, he smiled. [i]It's okay, you can let go.[/i]

'Species 167E. They're categorized by number and letter, according to variant. At least, that's what I remember hearing.'

Everybody turned to look at Arthur, as though he'd dropped a bomb in the middle of the room.

Natalia raised an eyebrow. 'Wait a moment,' she said slowly. 'You're telling us that those tubes contain organisms?'

Arthur nodded. 'Not just organisms, Natalia.' He walked over to the same tube that Viktor and Katelyn were examining. 'Come closer and shine your torch into this tube. You'll see.'

Natalia hesitantly navigated her way between the tables, trying not to focus her eyes on the many shiny implements. She converted her lamp to torch mode and aimed it directly at the tube. Its light did not reflect heavily on the glass, but instead seemed to pierce directly into it.

'What the hell is that?!' she cried, almost dropping her torch.

'Don't worry,' he said softly, 'I would say that she's already dead. She's being preserved, along with the others.'

'She?! What is this?!' Natalia looked around the room frantically for a moment, as if it were closing in on her. 'Is this a joke?'

Arthur shook his head solemnly. 'It's no joke. But right here, in this room...this is where the so-called Great Disaster came from. [i]Species 167E[/i]. [i]This[/i] is what almost destroyed humanity.'

The others seemed to steel themselves long enough to take a look for their own eyes. Zahir approached the glass tentatively, as if he were worried that something may jump out at him.

What he saw, in actual fact, surprised him. He half expected to see some kind of monster from a film. Instead, he saw a very humanoid face. It was like porcelain - white and smooth, with small ridges and cracks in its surface. It looked like it was made of plastic, or perhaps some other synthetic material.

The face looked like a human woman's. It would have been rather beautiful if it had eyes; Zahir saw only dark sockets where the eyes should be. But he also saw lips and a nose. Perhaps more than being similar to a human, it looked rather like a mask; almost like the painted face of a Geisha.

When he looked down, he saw a hand near the glass. Long, elegant fingers. They appeared to be gloved with a similar substance to the face. There were six fingers.

Beyond this, Zahir could not see anything further. He was intrigued, but he knew it would take a while to get over the sudden shock of walking into a laboratory in the middle of space.

Zahir turned back to Arthur. 'You seem to know a lot more about this than the rest of us,' he said. 'More than is in the magazines, anyway. What is going on here?'

[b][i]The Great Disaster[/i][/b]

'I will tell you what I know,' said Arthur calmly, as the others stood around him. 'There is still a great deal I [i]don't[/i] know, so I'm sure I will leave you with many questions.'

'Firstly,' interrupted Natalia, 'I think you should tell us [i]why[/i] you know so much about this subject.'

Arthur glanced at the others, his eyes pausing briefly on Katelyn. 'That I can not tell you. Not now. It might be hard for you to understand at this moment...'

Natalia placed her hands on her hips and switched off her flashlight. 'I'll tell you what's hard to understand; being inside a laboratory full of alien bodies is [i]hard to understand![/i] I [i]really[/i] don't think this is the time to spare our feelings, Arthur!'

There was an awkward silence. Natalia's anger and frustration seemed to stem from the revelation that she may indeed be wrong about the conspiracy theories - at least in part. The presence of alien bodies alone suggested that much.

'I will tell you what I can tell you,' repeated Arthur. 'Be mad at me if you must, but eventually you might understand.'

Arthur leaned against one of the tables nearby. It was empty and it creaked slightly as he perched on its edge.

'This all started with Andronov Prime, the Moon City. It was not just a triumph of engineering, but it provided useful resources for construction both on the moon and on Earth.

The city had been established for a period of time; everything was running smoothly. Due to the need for heavy machinery, mining operations were conducted primarily within the Andronov Crater. These machines and their operators needed clean air and immediate access to power and transport. They had to mine within the crater, which was covered with a protective shield - it was filled with atmosphere.

Eventually, though, the resources were spent. Engineers had to find new ways to mine the moon. That's when they set up the Magmoor on the dark side of the moon.'

Natalia raised an eyebrow. 'The Magmoor? What's that?'

'An ultra-deep, sub-surface mine. They used new technology to drill almost to the moon's core,' said Arthur. 'But after reaching the halfway mark, they stumbled upon something.'

Gael's eyes widened. 'What was it?'

'A chamber,' replied Arthur. 'It wasn't much bigger than this room, so I've heard. There was something in there...[i]someone[/i].'

'But how does this relate to the Great Disaster?' asked Zahir.

'Well, they stumbled upon a group of people there...if you could call them that. Species 167E. Several of them, standing around a sarcophagus. At least, that's what the report called it. I think it was a burial, some kind of ceremony.

Anyway, they were shocked as you can imagine. The security detail who maintained order within the Magmoor fired on them, but their weapons were ineffective. Several people were killed...'

'Figures that they'd shoot first and ask questions later,' huffed Viktor.

Arthur nodded. 'Yes, well, it didn't do them any good. When word of the incident got back to the City Council at Andronov Prime, they sent an expeditionary force to explore the site. The aliens were gone, but the sarcophagus was still there.'

'Let me guess,' said Natalia flatly. 'They opened it?'

'Once they got it back to the city, yes,' replied Arthur. 'It contained a dead body. Or at least they thought it was dead. I don't know what happened exactly, but once their doctors began to examine it, they started to become sick. It spread very quickly. All it took was one shuttle to return to Earth with an infected crew member...and the rest is history.'

Katelyn blinked. 'So that's why some people are opposed to the new space program...'

'Yes, partly that,' said Arthur. 'But it's not quite as simple as what I've just described. I think there is more happening here...just look at this Outpost. They have several more bodies. Where did they come from? And [i]why[/i] would they be researching anything like this all the way out here?'

'Do you think,' said Zahir slowly, 'that the Von Braun has anything to do with this?'

Arthur shook his head tentatively. 'I'm really not sure. NARSIA are involved with the Von Braun and they are the ones who created this Outpost. They are up to something, but I don't know what. I don't think anyone [i]truly[/i] knows.'

'In any case,' said Natalia firmly, 'there are several terminals in this room and they're active. We [i]must[/i] launch an escape pod now. Perhaps we can do something if we get back to the ship.'

'Can't we just send the pods home?' asked Gael, a look of disappointment on her face.

Viktor shook his head. 'I don't think they can go that far, Gael. They can sustain themselves for a long time independently, but eventually they'd require a passing ship to pick them up. Hopefully the Von Braun isn't so far away that we can't reach it.'

'I will try to unlock one of the pod doors,' said Natalia as she began moving towards the nearest terminal.

Arthur raised his hand. 'We do need to escape, but I must warn you...I don't think it would be a good idea to discuss what we've seen here when we arrive back on the ship. Most of the passengers will think we're crazy, but even more than that, they will start asking questions about why we were left behind...'

'But we want them to know what happened to us, don't we?' asked Natalia. 'After all, this was such a horrible oversight...'

'If it was an oversight,' whispered Zahir. 'How do you know we weren't deliberately left here somehow?'

Natalia gasped. 'Surely not!'

'Does [i]anything[/i] surprise you right now, Natalia?' Viktor crossed his arms.

Natalia reluctantly nodded. 'I suppose so. Okay, we will lay low...perhaps we can re-dock with the Von Braun without anyone knowing. We will have to make sure to turn the communications system off once we're launched in the pod.'

'I think we might be almost ready,' called Natalia as she hunched over a computer screen.

Just as she said this, Arthur and Zahir turned towards the door. They were sure they heard voices.

[center][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/avatar7_guest.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/devinletrad.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/ilonalmarcelle.gif[/IMG]
[/center]

[center][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]It had been slow going, for the most part. Once they had managed to get through the air vent, there had been what seemed like an endless series of connecting rooms, hallways and passages, each one pitch dark and full of stale, recycled oxygen. Devin was at the front of the group, Jamie's flashbulb in his hand, flickering and creating an almost strobe-like effect in the darkness that surrounded them. Alex was behind him, then Ilona with Jamie taking up the rear, probably worrying about the state his flashbulb was going to be in.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"There's another door," [/B]said Devin, an obvious physical strain on his voice as he tried to push it open, [B]"I think it's stuck. Alex, give me a hand."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Alex pressed his shoulder against the door, as Devin had, and on the count of three they both heaved, putting all their strength into it, and after what seemed like an eternity of creaking metal and physical effort, the door burst open.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] Into another corridor.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"Alright, just a stab in the dark here, as it were, but does anyone actually have any idea where we're going? We could be going round in circles for all we know," [/B]said Alex, exhausted.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"Well we definitely haven't been here before," [/B]replied Jamie, [B]"The door wouldn't have been jammed if we had."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][B] "And there's light up ahead," [/B]said Ilona quietly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"But we could just be heading back to where we started...wait, Ilona, did you say there's light up ahead?" [/B]asked Alex, looking down the corridor. She was right - there was a door with a window up ahead, a circle of pale light in the suffocating darkness.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"She's right!" [/B]shouted Devin, and he began running towards the light, the others following him a few paces behind. However, the corridor was a lot longer than they had anticipated, and by the time they got anywhere near the source of light, it flickered and went out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"Dammit," [/B]panted Devin, stopping and doubling over to catch his breath, [B]"We lost it."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][B] "But we must be getting closer to somewhere that does have light," [/B]said Alex, [B]"Come on, let's just get this door open."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]This one swung open with much greater ease than any of the previous doors, and opened out into what looked like a cargo bay. There were huge metal crates everywhere, including some with a canvas cover that had been torn off. Alex took the flashbulb off Devin and walked slowly over to these partially-hidden crates.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"There's some kind of symbol on them," [/B]he said, leaning in closer to try and ascertain what it meant, [B]"Sort of...orange, I think."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][B] "Um...Alex?" [/B]said Jamie, [B]"I think it's a Biohazard symbol."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][B] "Jesus!" [/B]cried Alex as he stumbled back from them, dropping the flashbulb. Luckily the bulb was unharmed by the impact, although Alex did give a sheepish little grin as he handed it back to Jamie, who took it and dusted it off, checking to see if there had been any lasting damage due to the overuse of the bulb.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"What are Biohazard crates doing in here?" [/B]whispered Ilona, peering closer at them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"I don't think we need to bother ourselves with that question now, Ilona," [/B]replied Devin, [B]"We just need to count ourselves lucky that they're all sealed."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Alex exhaled, trying to calm himself down, slow his heart rate. However, it was raised again suddenly when sounds of movement came from one of the offices behind the stack of crates.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"There's someone there," [/B]said Devin in hushed tones, [B]"Be quiet, everyone." [/B]They all took Devin's advice, and he began to creep forward to the source of the noise. The rest of the group followed him, slowly and quietly, and they entered the set of offices behind the crates.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"Where do you think they are?" [/B]whispered Jamie.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"I think it's a pretty safe bet they'll have headed for the light source just over there," [/B]said Devin in response, [B]"So I think we should do the same."[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]Slowly but surely, they inched their way across the office, and Devin took hold of the handle of the door from which the odd light was emanating, and pulled it down. With a little persuasion, it swung open, to reveal a number of people, some of whom Alex recognised from the ship, surrounding a computer screen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif] [B]"Well, isn't this nice?" [/B]said Alex jovially.[/FONT]
[/center]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar16_guest.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/devinletrad.gif[/IMG][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/von%20braun/arthurmostdefinitely.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/avatar7_guest.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8279/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[left][i]Ilona looked from Zahir's surprised face, to Arthur's impassive one. She blushed slightly at their intrusion, Alex and Devin leaning over her shoulders. Summoning up all the good cheer that she could fake while still not quite caffeinated into a zen like state that she had always depended on to carry her through the typically sunlit hours, Ilona smiled. Zahir looked like he wanted to stammer something, but Natalia put on a less surprised look in greeting. Alex grinned almost immediately.[/i]

"Why hello there. I take it you crawled through tubes to get this far?"

"Well there were some Biohazard signs we looked at first."

"So did you guys find the cafeteria? I think there's going to be coffee there!"

[i]The others around her chuckled as she looked expectantly at Zahir and Arthur, as if expecting them to produce coffee spontaneously, or by sheer force of will for fear of making her smile go away. Instead, they had to shake their heads sadly.[/i]

"Not at all, but we did figure out how we're going to get back to the ship instead. It's a little riskier than we'd like, but it's better than going the rest of our lives unfed and in your case, decaffeinated."

"And god knows we can not have that."

[i]Devin put a reassuring hand on Ilona's shoulder before looking closer at the computer panels. Meanwhile, Ilona and the others stepped into the office and took up various comfortable positions. Ilona for one wasn't about to interfere. She knew next to nothing about how space ships and stations worked outside of there was energy and it was channeled into stuff to make things float. Or fly. Or hum. Whatever. They didn't pay her to be an engineer anyway. Instead she peered around the room and decided that despite it being an office, there was in fact, no coffee maker. With a dejected sigh, she crossed her arms loosely across her chest and looked towards the pod doors.[/i]

"So how will this work exactly? I'm afraid I know next to nothing about this sort of thing."

"Well there's these escape pods we're going to go into and then some other stuff and then hopefully we'll be picked up and not die out there and -"

[i]Natalia and Arthur fixed Zahir with a slightly less than kind stare and Natalia leaned forward towards Ilona slightly.[/i]

"Actually our daring escape plan is slightly better than the way that sounds, if I do say so myself.[/left]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8279/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/avatar7_guest.gif[/img] [img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar16_guest.gif[/img] [img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/img] [img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar6_guest.gif[/img]

[SIZE="1"]~~~~~~~~~~[/CENTER]

[B]"Whoa!"[/B] Jamie was completely dumbfounded by this strange room. He was even more shocked to find other passengers who were left behind. He couldn't imagine how the Von Braun manage to miss that many passengers.

After all the formalities were out of the way, Jamie quickly began snapping photos left and right, trying not to miss a single aspect of the room. He managed to get Ilona and Natalia to pose for him while Alex quickly jotted down shorthand notes and took brief statements from Katelyn and the other passengers.

[B]"This is amazing isn't it?"[/B] The reporter buzzed excitedly, [B]"What a story!"[/B]

It was true. This sort of thing was exactly what the pair needed to skyrocket their success. Somehow, in less than 24 hours, they had managed to turn their interest series into a story of struggle and survival. But of course, it quickly changed into something altogether different when Jamie snapped his next photo:

[B]"Shit!"[/B] He cursed under his breath, not wanting to alarm the others. But what was most surprising, especially to Alex, was that the photographer actually dropped his camera.

[B]"Are you alright buddy?"[/B] he asked, but Jamie didn't move. He didn't even attempt to pick up the camera, which had separated from the large flash that was previously attached.

Katelyn had followed Alex over and, after picking up Jamie's camera, was trying to press it into his arms. [B]"I had the same problem trying to take it all in."[/B]

[B]"Mind tell me what she's talking about, King?"[/B] This time Letrad and Ilona had moved over to interfere in the conversation. Alex was equally confused.

Jamie finally managed to come to his senses. He reattached the flash to the camera and carefully inspected his camera to make sure that it still worked properly. Then he put the strap around his neck to insure that he wouldn't drop it again. The entire time, the rest of the group was getting rather impatient waiting for his answer.

[B]"Look there."[/B] he said and snapped a quick photo. What it revealed were oddly humanoid women in a test tube.

[B]"What the hell is that?"[/B] Alex began examining the glass, trying to see if he could spot the beings within on his own. After some time, [B]"Jamie, what are you doing? Keep taking pictures. [I]This[/I] is our big story."[/B]

After Katelyn and Natalia had managed to explain their discover of these people, (Species 167E) they practically left Jamie's jaw on the floor. Sure, he was familiar with the conspiracy articles that floated around out there, but he never actually believed it. He wondered that if he hadn't found it by mistake, if everyone else would have even told him.

[B]"Okay everyone, time to go"[/B] Victor led the way out of the room. It was time to move to those escape pods, and Jamie took the opportunity to take one last photo: He turned the timer on and took his place between Alex and Ilona. Devin Letrad and Katelyn were also standing in the photograph.

[B]"Are you coming?"[/B] Natalia had returned with her flashlight to make sure everything was okay.

During their travel to the escape pods, Alex and Jamie discussed their options.

[B]"Why don't we just publish it?"[/B] Alex protested.

[B]"Because photos like this can be faked. There's probably millions of alien photos stacked away in the Herald's basement.[/B]

[B]"Well, maybe we can use it as blackmail to find out what exactly is going on."[/B]

[B]"First of all,"[/B] Jamie began, [B]"Blackmail is never a good idea. And second, in a place like the Von Braun, we have literally no control. Even if I made copies of the photos before we talked to the higher-ups, there's nowhere to hide them, short of swallowing it. They could just make up some story to throw us in the ship's holding station and then completely ransack our room until they found every copy I could possibly make."[/B]

[B]"But I can get interviews from the girl and that casino woman. We can interview Letrad and Ilona, and any of the other people who were in the room."[/B] Alex said, pointing to Natalia and Zahir

[B]"Don't be naive, Azure. Conspiracies stay conspiracies for a reason. NARISA would debunk our stories before we could blink. And then, not only would we be out of a job, but the only people who would hire us are the conspiracy magazines."[/B]

[B]"Well then Jamie,"[/B] he began walking away in order to end the conversation, [B]"I suggest you find a way to keep the copies hidden, because the way I see it, our only chance for a breakthrough is to talk to whoever knows what the hell is going on here."[/B]

[I]'leave it to Alex to get the last word'[/I] Jamie thought. And then he began the long process of figuring out how to hide any copies that he would make.[/SIZE]

[align=center][img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/gaelavatar.jpg[/IMG][/align]
Gael hung back as the group began to head to the escape pods. She stared up at the painted face of the alien with sad eyes. It was barbaric. This whole thing was barbaric. They had just walked in and either killed this alien, or took her dead body from a burial ground. Either way, she had deserved more than to be kept in a tube like this.

Her hand lingered over the glass of the tube, not touching it. She wasn?t sure what security measures were around each tube and she rather didn?t feel like setting off an alarm.

She caught up with the rest of the group in time to hear the argument between the reporter and the photographer. She listened quietly the whole time, trying desperately to keep her mind off of the image of the alien woman?s face.

[color=purple]?She?s right, you know.?[/color] Gael said simply, once the conversation drew to a close. [color=purple]?No one is going to believe us, not any of us. And even if they do believe us, they?ll pretend that they don?t. We won?t be able to talk to whoever knows what?s going on here, it would simply be impossible. Something like this? They?ll just do their best to cover this up.?
[/color]
It seemed as though Gael was merely thinking out loud at this point, her voice becoming softer.

[color=purple]?I wonder if they?d go so far as to leave the witnesses stranded in space.?[/color]

[b]?Don?t say things like that!? [/b] Natalia scolded. This wasn?t the first time that it was suggested that they were left behind on purpose.

[color=purple]?If someone on the Von Braun knows about this? and suspects that we do, too? do you think that they?d bother to pick up an escape pod full of witnesses??[/color]

[b]?If someone on the Von Braun knew, do you think that they would have brought us here in the first place??[/b]

[color=purple]?Maybe. To show that everything was ?normal?. But everything wasn?t ?normal?. Remember? No one was here. Not a single worker in this entire place. Why would anyone on the Von Braun bring us to an abandoned space station? Unless they didn?t know it was devoid of people. If the workers had been here, they could have led us around all the ?normal? places and then send us home. Then we?d go home with a feeling that nothing was wrong. It?s best to hide something in plain sight, after all. But for some reason, everyone here is gone. And then they left us here, too. The way I see it, there?s only a few reasons why they?d leave us here in the first place. One, it was an honest mistake. Maybe some people just weren?t wearing their markers and the like and they really think they took back the same number of people that they arrived with. Two, someone realized that we could possibly be witness to something obviously top secret. So, to avoid a messy clean up, they left us. If that is the case, then they won?t pick up the escape pod. Three??
[/color]
Gael trailed off. After a long pause, it was obvious that Gael wasn?t going to finish her thought.

[b]?What?s three??[/b]

Gael didn?t turn to see who the voice came from. She debated whether or not she should share her third theory.

[color=purple]?Don?t worry about it. I mean, these are all only theories after all. I am only over thinking things. After all, it was a rather big shock finding a dead alien woman in a tank. Let?s just get to the escape pods. Leaving us here was probably just a mistake. I?m sure they?ll pick us up. I just don?t think we should talk too loudly about any of this for a while. It?ll only cause people to think we went crazy out here in space. We need more decisive evidence then just a few pictures.?[/color]

She didn?t think it was an accident. At this point, she was hoping that it was only her second theory.

Because when Arthur was talking about the aliens and the virus, a terrible possibility came to her mind. What if they were trying to quarantine them? What if? all those biohazard boxes? what if this place was contaminated? Did they sense a viral outbreak?

No, it was ridiculous. After all, they took some of the passengers back to the Von Braun, right? Why only quarantine a select few? Then again? maybe it was an accident, them being left behind. Surely someone who went back noticed that the shuttle was emptier. Surely they would have told some one on the Von Braun. Surely they would have sent a shuttle back to get them? unless one of the ones who went back had the virus. Maybe they were quarantined on the ship, too. What if they didn?t come back because of a viral outbreak?

Gael had to scold herself. Now she was just being ridiculous! She was most certainly over thinking things! It was all accident. The Von Braun would pick up their escape pods. Everything would be fine.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Natalia sighed inwardly and moved back over to re-join the others that she had first started with. Gael?s slight tendency to talk to her as if she was stupid was rather irritating. The longer she was near her, the more she found her presence irritating. She didn?t really want to talk to the new comers either, especially the ones who were reporters. It wasn?t that difficult to realize that they were in a lot of trouble. However, she had a nagging feeling that if anyone on the Von Braun actually knew about what was going on, it couldn?t be more than a handful of people if that.

Secrets, especially ones as volatile as something like this, were better kept under wraps if those given access to the information were strictly regulated to as few as possible. The fact that even the theory?s that Zahir was talking about was rarely talked about was proof of that it was a closely guarded secret.

She ignored the rest of the group that was semi following along as they made for where the escape pods were according to the map of the facility that Viktor had out in his hands. He paused when they came to a set of doors that were closed.

?[B]I don?t think we?ll be able to force these ones open.[/B]? He tucked the pamphlet into his inner jacket pocket. ?[B]It would be easier to simply use the air vents instead of tiring ourselves out opening all of the doors.[/B]?

?[B]I don't know if I can do that again.[/B]" Zahir looked a bit sick at the thought.

"[B]Don't worry,[/B]" Katelyn grasped his left shoulder in a comforting manner. "[B]We'll help you if you need it.[/B]"

Zahir looked at her for a long moment and then nodded.

"[B]Right, lets get this grate off,[/B]" Natalia moved to pull it off only to halt when the others beat her to it. "[B]I'll go first since I have this thing here,[/B]" She hefted the large flashlight and crawled in before anyone could object.

A moment later and she could hear the others following suit. She tuned out most if the chatter since she was focusing on keeping her bearings straight so they would come out where the escape pods were located instead of somewhere else.

To her relief the power outage had not affected the internal grates by sealing any sections off. That would have been a serious setback if they had been unable to get to the actual pods.

Then once she finally found what looked like an opening into where the pods were she fought the grate only to nearly fall out on her face when it gave way suddenly. [I] I'm getting tired of this,[/I] she thought as she regained her balance and climbed out.

Viktor was next and then the two of them started helping the others by offering a hand of support when they were ready to crawl out. Zahir looked a little pale but no worse for the wear this time around. She smiled reassuringly at him before turning her attention and the light to the area they were now in.

• 2 weeks later...
[CENTER][IMG]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG] http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/gaelavatar1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/avatar7_guest.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar16_guest.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Desbreko_Fanclub/VBO/avatar6_guest.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8279/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
"[B]At this rate we'll be too late to catch up with the Von Braun.[/B]" Katelyn sounded more than a little worried.

Viktor was not surprised, he shared the same worry as well. It had taken the group quite a bit of time to figure out how to first climb down into the shaft where the remaining pods were located so they could connect one of the tunnels to the escape pod.

Then they had manually opened the launch door before heading back down through the tunnel to climb into the pod itself. There was no means to detach the tunnel before launching, other than to release the clamps from the inside. If one of them didn't release like it should have... they had to trust that the momentum from the launch would pull the craft free. If it didn't...

"[B]Don't worry Katelyn,[/B]" Viktor smiled reassuringly. "[B]If we have to, we'll contact the ship so they'll come and pick us up.[/B]"

"[B]I wouldn't be too sure of that.[/B]" It was Mr. Azure, the journalist. "[B]We didn't disable the distress beacon for nothing after all. I doubt they'd hesitate to destroy the escape pod to cover their tracks.[/B]"

The rest of the group that had gathered in the tiny control room for the escape pod looked a bit uneasy at that statement from Azure, and considering what they had found, it was understandable.

"[B]Oh now you're being silly.[/B]" Natalia snapped a bit. "[B]Honestly all these silly conspiracy theories are getting old.[/B]"

"[B]I wouldn't call the pictures I got silly.[/B]" James said evenly. "[B]If they were so silly then why lie about something like what we saw?[/B]"

Natalia scoffed. "[B]It's one thing to not tell the public about a discovery like that and yet another to outright murder others to hide the truth. It's not like our government is willing to do what that group Terra Prime has.[/B]"

"[B]But can you be certain of that?[/B]" Zahir said softly.

"[B]Why don't we worry about that after we've launched?[/B]" Ilona interrupted, sounded a bit annoyed. "[B]The longer we stand here discussing it, the more likely it is that we won't make it. Why don't we wait to worry over that when and if it actually happens?[/B]"

"[B]You're right[/B]," Natalia agreed before sighing slightly and turning to Azure who was working with the controls to the escape pod. "[B]So are you about ready to launch then?[/B]"

"[B]Yeah, just give me a couple more minutes and we'll be off.[/B]"

"[B]In that case I suggest we all find a seat.[/B]" Gael turned and left the tiny control room to head for the next room with seats for passengers to strap in for launch.

Clarke looked at the group and then nodded before turning to do the same. A moment later Natalia, Ilona and Katelyn followed him.

Viktor looked over at James who shrugged and took one of the remaining seats in the tiny control room next to Adam. For a brief moment Viktor hesitated and then he took the other seat next to Adam and started strapping himself in.

"[B]Right, now that we got that settled,[/B]" Adam looked grim. "[B]Let?s get this show on the road. I have no desire to stay stuck on this abandoned rock.[/B]"

[CENTER][IMG]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5076/aryaviif9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8279/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/avatar7_guest.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][B]"Here we go,"[/B] Victor seemed to be leading the group with his cool demeanor and knowledge of how most of the technology worked. Jamie wondered if he could even begin to explain the aliens.

There was a tight rumble as the escape pod thrust into space, but it was enough for Jamie to become light headed. The noise the pod made when one of the release clamps was forcefully pulled free frightened most of the passengers, but even the girl seemed to be handling it better than the reporter.

[B]"We were right,"[/B] Zahir spoke up, as if his words confirmed the fact that nothing would go wrong, [B]"The clamp was pulled free. So now we just have to get to the Von Braun."[/B]

[I]He makes it sound so easy.[/I]

The outpost and the Von Braun rarely experienced any kind of turbulence, but when Jamie found himself on smaller crafts, such as this tiny escape pod, he couldn't help but lose control. He wanted to open his eyes, but was too afraid of staring into space.

[I]Damn, why am I like this?[/I]

He felt sick. Carefully opening his eyes when he was sure his gaze was on the floor, Jamie placed his head between his knees and began breathing heavily. Of course, it didn't work for long due to the pod's regular shifts and bumps as the pod somehow navigated toward an unknown abyss.

[B]"You need to take your mind off of it,"[/B] Katelyn was sitting across from him, and seemed to forget that if one little mistake was made, they would all die violent deaths.

[B]"Sit up Jamie,"[/B] Alex said, grabbing his shoulder and pulling him upright, [B]"We're representing the Herald on this trip and you're embarrassing me."[/B]

Jamie caught a glimpse of the escape pod and the worried expressions of the other passengers. [I]That's reassuring,[/I] he though, and moved to return to his cowardly position but Alex's grip was strong.

[B]"Have you thought any more about what we're going to do when we get back on the Von Braun?"[/B] he asked.

[B]"Never leave the ship again until we get back to Earth."[/B]

[B]"Oh, come on King, don't be such a wimp,"[/B] Alex held a tone that wasn't helping him at all. He lowered his voice so the rest wouldn't hear, [B]"I was referring to the pictures."[/B]

Of course Jamie knew what he was talking about. He looked over at his partner. It was a type of signal the two had developed over the years which told him that he had thought about it. Alex nodded his head slightly and widened his eyes as if to say, [I]"And?"[/I]

Jamie looked around the escape pod, pausing on each of the passengers to tell Alex that he planned on giving the copies to one of them. Whichever one could hold they're secret.

Alex furrowed his brow slightly, wondering if that's the best choice of action. But a stern glare from the photographer meant that there wasn't any other way he could think of. Then he mouthed the word, [B]"Who?"[/B] but Jamie shook his head. He hadn't gotten that far in his plan.

Obviously it had to be someone on the escape pod with them. But after that, he wasn't sure who was the best to trust, if any of them were worthy at all.

[B]"Hey look, there's the Von Braun,"[/B] Katelyn shouted, the rest of the passengers applauded or let out some sort of celebratory cheer.

[I]I guess all I have to do was get my mind off of it after all[/I] he thought, thinking of the young girl's words. And that's when Katelyn caught his attention. Could she be the best choice? A girl?

[B]"Let's talk about it later,"[/B] the photographer said as though it were an answer to Alex's previous question; the rest of the passengers were completely clueless.

[B]"Now all we have to do is dock with the ship and this whole thing will be behind us."[/B] Victor sounded confident in his statement, but it appeared the rest were uncertain.

[I]Easier said than done.[/I][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
[center][img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9978/vboavatarey3.jpg[/img] [img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2357/kathykf5.jpg[/img][img]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9613/sabavixi1.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Arichan16/arthur.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8279/jamiekingse9.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]

The escape pod?s seats were incredibly old. They were also cheap. They were covered in some kind of synthetic leather and were held together by thin metal frames that were bolted to the floor. It was like something from the 50s; it certainly came nowhere close to what they had experienced on the Von Braun.

Zahir?s body was pressed back firmly into the torn and tattered leather. The seats were arranged in semi-circular rows that covered most of the pod?s interior. Viktor sat somewhere at the front of the pod, before a panel of odd controls and monitors. Zahir was amazed that Viktor knew what to do, although it was probably more likely that he had a general idea and was hoping for a little luck. [i]?The pod must have been built ages ago,?[/i] he thought. [i]?Probably before Viktor was even born.?[/i]

Although he could not see everyone?s face from where he sat, Zahir already recognized a few of the pod?s passengers. He noticed Jamie King, who worked for the Washington Prime Herald. Jamie seemed to be speaking in hushed tones with his partner on occasion, as the escape pod drifted through space. The ride was now less turbulent and Zahir wondered how close they were to the Von Braun.

Arthur sat next to Zahir. His hands clasped the arm rests of his seat tightly. He seemed uncomfortable. He must have noticed Zahir's gaze, because he tilted his head to the side and smiled.

'Sometimes I get a little uncomfortable in small spaces,' he said with an uneasy grin.

Zahir put his hand on Arthur's arm reassuringly. 'Don't worry, it can't be much longer.'

Although he was still clearly uncomfortable, Arthur seemed to relax somewhat. His eyes darted around the pod's utilitarian interior.

'Never thought I'd find myself in one of these,' he muttered quietly.

Zahir nodded as his eyes explored the strange instruments and rusted metal plates on the walls. 'After what we have seen today, I don't think anything will surprise me anymore.'

Arthur slumped in his chair slightly and his hands lost their tight grip on the arm rests. 'Zahir...you said that you read those conspiracy magazines...'

'I do. Well, I did,' replied Zahir. 'Why do you ask?'

Arthur turned to him. 'Did you ever read about something called "The Shirota Strain"?'

Zahir considered it for a moment and finally shook his head. 'No, I don't think so.'

'I don't think many have actually read it. At least, not within the last thirty years,' said Arthur.

'Why is that?' asked Zahir.

'Nobody knows for sure, but there are rumors that all circulated copies of the article were destroyed by NARSIA at some stage. It was to be distributed in the 1996 edition of the Washington Prime Medical Journal. But if you go back and look at archived copies now, you'll find that the page is missing.' Arthur took a deep breath as he propped his head against the seat back.

'The only way to be sure of that would be to compare it to an original copy,' said Zahir. 'I mean, how could they just go around and erase a page without anyone noticing?'

Arthur shrugged. 'I'm not entirely sure, although I think the article was noticed as the first print run was being done. It was removed hastily before the journal was shipped. A few clever readers noticed a gap between pages 30 and 32.'

The escape pod bobbed slightly and as everybody's attention moved to the monitor slightly above Viktor, they saw a white object come into view. It was the Von Braun. The occupants cheered and clapped as the white dot grew on the screen.

'Almost there,' said Viktor. 'We can't dock at the shuttle bay because we'll be noticed. Our only hope is to dock at the cargo port closer to the bottom of the ship. They only check that space every few hours, I think.'

'So what will they say when they find an abandoned escape pod just sitting there?' asked Katelyn.

Viktor paused for a moment. 'Maybe we will have to eject the pod once we're inside.'

'How are we going to do that without being sucked into space?' asked Jamie, who seemed to become more animated now that the Von Braun was in view.

'I'm pretty sure there's an anti-chamber in there,' replied Katelyn. 'As long as we can get the pod in there, we can enter the ship and then open the outer door. The pod should just fall out into space.'

Katelyn's tone suggested that she was slightly unsure about the details, although she had not been wrong about the ship so far. The others were inclined to trust her.

Zahir smiled. 'Well, we're almost there Arthur. When we arrive you should sleep for a little while. You look exhausted.'

Arthur patted Zahir's arm. 'Don't worry, Zee. I'm okay. I am more worried about you; shouldn't you have had bar shifts that you've missed? Won't they wonder where you've been?'

Zahir had forgotten about the bar. His heart sunk. 'Er, well, all this time we've been on the outpost...that would have been my sleeping time back at the quarters. By the time we arrive at the ship, I'll almost be due to start a shift.'

'You'll be starting a shift without getting any sleep at all,' said Arthur. 'You must sleep, if even for a couple of hours.'

'It's a struggle in the staff quarters,' sighed Zahir. 'They all come in and out at different times. I'm better off staying awake; I won't get any sleep there anyway.'

Arthur looked at Zahir earnestly. 'Come to my room then. I have a first class cabin on the Von Braun. There is plenty of room.'

'I couldn't do that,' stammered Zahir immediately. 'That wouldn't be--'

Arthur interjected. 'Why not? You're tired and after the ordeal we've all been through, a hot shower and a few hours sleep is better than being stuck in a room full of noisy staff.'

'Well...' Zahir could not help thinking of Khalid. While it was probably - indeed, certain - that Khalid was quite enjoying his freedom at present, Zahir still felt inexplicably loyal. Nevertheless, he was tired and sore. The occupants of the escape pod had faced the very real possibility of being stranded on the outpost forever. Such a thought caused unimaginable stress and worry; so much so that Zahir could still feel his heart pounding from the thought.

'All right, I will do it. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude...'

'Think nothing of it,' said Arthur warmly.

'Before we dock with the ship, I do have one last question,' said Zahir.

'What's that?'

'What is the Shirota Strain?'

Arthur's smile began to fade ever so slightly. 'I am not exactly sure, Zee,' he said quietly. 'I have read many references to it in different magazines and documents. The life form we saw in that tube on the outpost was designated "167E". I think that the A, B and C designations relate to this Shirota Strain somehow. But I have never actually read the original journal entry.'

Zahir was trying to put everything together but he found it difficult. If what Arthur said was true, mankind had discovered an alien tomb embedded deep underground on the Moon. They had sent for back up and engaged in a skirmish with the aliens. When more people arrived they found dead human bodies and what was apparently an alien sarcophagus. They took the body back to Andronov Prime and within a short time all of those who had come in contact with it began to exhibit symptoms of a virus, which then led to the Great Disaster on Earth.

How did this relate to the Shirota Strain? And what were the different designations all about?

Arthur seemed to sense what Zahir was thinking.

'The only other piece of information I am sure about is that the virus on Earth was called "167A". If A is a virus and E is an alien species, what are B and C?'

Zahir shrugged. 'I have no idea. Maybe the body they found in the sarcophagus had died because it was infected with 167A.'

Arthur nodded. 'That seems logical enough,' he said. 'So what is the lesson from that experience?' His expression seemed to harden somewhat. 'The lesson is that when man went into space, we were stepping into territory where we did not belong. And then we meddled with something that we did not understand at all. From there, well, the rest is history. Our curiosity and desire to encroach upon everything around us led to our near-extinction as a species.'

On the one hand, Arthur's logic made complete sense. After the experience of the 1980s, one would have to question whether traveling into space was more important than mankind's survival. After all, these aliens must still be out there somewhere. What if those engineers on the Moon had stumbled upon a highly sacred ritual and deeply offended the alien race? Perhaps they would seek revenge. Fear of the unknown was, in this case, completely rational.

On the other hand, Zahir was sure that there was more to the story. There was a missing chapter at the end, which even Arthur did not seem to be aware of.

If the Government had avoided space for decades, why suddenly re-enter it? And why do it in such an extravagant and obvious way? Wouldn't the Von Braun simply be a sitting duck for any alien retaliation?

[i]'Maybe that outpost was designed to defend us against their attack,'[/i] thought Zahir. It made sense. Even if that was the case, it made no sense that passengers would be left behind on an abandoned outpost.

Zahir felt a vibration under his feet that interrupted his thoughts. The escape pod had already begun to dock with the anti-chamber.

'We're here!' called Viktor. He stood up and faced the passengers. 'Thank you for being so calm over the last few hours. Without that - and lots of quick thinking from many of you - we would never have made it back here.'

A cheer exploded in the escape pod as the anti-chamber door closed behind them.

'Now,' said Viktor, 'we need to get off this thing and send it on its way. If any of you wish to join me in my cabin for food or drinks, please do so. I'm on D-1, Room 125. As I'm here representing one of the Von Braun's manufacturers, all of my room service is free. So, please, come and make yourselves comfortable before you return to your own quarters.'

The others clapped and smiled. Their relief was almost tangible.

Arthur unbuckled his seat belt and stood up. 'Maybe we can join in on the party after a little rest. We got here earlier than I expected, so you still have a few hours before work.'

'That sounds perfect,' said Zahir as the escape hatch opened and the passengers poured out into the Von Braun's cargo deck.