OtakuBoards

Wal-Mart and Gangs

Lunar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='CrimsonKnight][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Why do I think Wal-mart and other stores should do this? I truly don't know. I'm just brainstorming, ya'know[/COLOR'].[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Believe it or not, that's exactly what I thought you'd say. Word for word, almost.

The reason I asked you to tell me why was to see if you knew what you were talking about. I'm afraid you heard this story somewhere, heard one opinion about it, and decided that 'yeah, banning those color bandannas will help stop gang activity' without really considering why or how that would be accomplished.

Never just blindly follow an idea. That's how terrible governments are allowed into power, and that's how religions lose their credibility.[/FONT]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]I think you'll all find that the only way to get gangs to wear Wal-mart bandannas is to simply generate a massive and overtly kitsch advertising campaign. I'm pretty sure you could make red and blue bandannas the coolest things around with a really simple advertisement made by the people who really know how to sell [u][i][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9COTOUH4qU"]awesome.[/URL][/i][/u]

Bandanna sales would got through the roof and we could make millions!

Socially disadvantaged sub groups are really responsive to condescending advertisement campaigns! : D

Wait, we're trying to stop wal-mart from selling gang colours?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]for your information, i didn't hear this from anyone. I just kinda thought it up on one of my frequent daydreaming sessions. i'm kinda absentminded, even though i'm a nerd. :animeswea p.s. anyone have any idea why i might be called a communist/terrorist? :confused:[/COLOR]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Here's the deal. At least from my experience, living in North Mexico and going to school in a largely gang-related territory, I've found that most gangsters become such due to family problems and other such things. A gang is pretty much a family to some people. If not, it's as close as a lot of 'em are gonna get, since their parents don't care. Others join because they're tired of getting pushed around.

Anyway, the point is people join gangs for psychological reasons, not because Wal-Mart's having a sale on red bandannas.[/FONT]

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]for your information, i didn't hear this from anyone. I just kinda thought it up on one of my frequent daydreaming sessions. i'm kinda absentminded, even though i'm a nerd. :animeswea [B]p.s. anyone have any idea why i might be called a communist/terrorist?[/B] :confused:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

You critisized America?

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]hehe. no. why would you think that? :animeswea[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]You aren't a Terrorist because you lack both funding and a compatible belief. You're not a KGB agent or a Nazi and since your user name is Crimson Knight and not قرمزي فارس, we can only assume that you're not.

And you're no Communist because I'm relatively sure you have yet to read the Manifesto by Marx.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]You aren't a Terrorist because you lack both funding and a compatible belief. You're not a KGB agent or a Nazi [B]and since your user name is Crimson Knight and not قرمزي فارس, we can only assume that you're not[/B].

And you're no Communist because I'm relatively sure you have yet to read the Manifesto by Marx.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Wow thats some splended stereotyping. Im lucky I didnt use my arabic name, for I would have loathed being classed a terrorist.:animeangr

[quote name='Alucard']Wow thats some splended stereotyping. Im lucky I didnt use my arabic name, for I would have loathed being classed a terrorist.:animeangr[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]For terrorism? I'd like to think I got the main ones people classify as terrorists these days. And would you have preferred I simply say "jihadist?" I don't think every Muslim in the world is a terrorist but to say that there are no muslim terrorists is misleading. Use your Arabic name and I'll think you're Muslim. Advocate the death of America and I'll think you're a terrorist. Or liberal.

Now you can accept my clarification, which was intended to be moderately tongue in cheek or keep on being offended. And nobody said you weren't American CK. The words were 'criticized America.' But since every foreigner from here to the Azores has done that it doesn't equal terrorist.

Furthermore, unless you're Cherokee or Sioux, nobody on OB is originally from America.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Furthermore, unless you're Cherokee or Sioux, nobody on OB is originally from America.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]And even those guys probably came across the Bering, so we're all a bunch of foreigners. Yee-haw.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight][COLOR=DarkOrange']for your information, i didn't hear this from anyone. I just kinda thought it up on one of my frequent daydreaming sessions.[/COLOR][/quote]
Ah. Then my optimism about you was wrong; you were observant enough to notice a correlation, but you didn't bother to follow through on your own conjecture.

[quote name='Alucard']Wow thats some splended stereotyping. Im lucky I didnt use my arabic name, for I would have loathed being classed a terrorist.:animeangr;[/quote]
First, obviously the last part of her sentence was nonexistent, judging by the omission of anything after "you're not", so don't make assumptions too quickly. Feet taste bad.

Second, stereotypes exist for a reason: a person noticed that certain groups of people behaved in similar fashions or had similar characteristics. For example, cheerleaders tend to be (overly) happy, drama-producing, and not very mentally acute. Not all cheerleaders are like that, but there are always exceptions to rules. Same thing (currently) with 'terrorists', as evidenced by most tactical shooters now: Russians and anyone from the Middle East is fair game for that label, whether or not that's universally true.

[quote name='Aceburner][FONT=ComicSans']Anyway, the point is people join gangs for psychological reasons, not because Wal-Mart's having a sale on red bandannas.[/FONT][/quote]
Bingo.[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]Everyone's African, man.[/color]

[quote name='Allamorph']Second, stereotypes exist for a reason: a person noticed that certain groups of people behaved in similar fashions or had similar characteristics.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about. Of course, it's a [i]slight[/i] oversimplification... Stereotypes exist for plethora of reasons in addition to that one!

Like, for example, other reasons that the "black people are lazy" stereotype exist are racism, hatred, ignorance, and belief in one's own superiority. Since that stereotype has reasons for its existence, then black people are totally fair game for that label!

Words of wisdom, I tells ya.

And to shift topic mid-gear, here's some grammar sniping![/color]

[quote name='Allamorph']Russians and anyone from the Middle East is fair game for that label, whether or not that's universally true.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]It should be "are," not "is." ;)[/color]