OtakuBoards

Left 4 Dead

Metalcore501

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think Sephiroth is the resident expert on all things Left 4 Dead.

All I can say is that this game really interests me, except that my currently unreliable internet service means that I may not be able to play it as it was intended.

So I might have to get a different internet service before I can seriously consider this game.

Still, I'm very interested and I'm keen to see what the reviews say. This is the kind of game I've wanted to see for ages. I think there was some Resident Evil Online game that was sort of similar in concept to this...but not nearly as good. Left 4 Dead seems to do it right, by all accounts.

[/font]

[COLOR="Red"]Resident Evil Outbreak was a huge disappointment, the Euro version didn't even have online mode.

Metalcore, Left 4 Dead is a primarily online game, there is a single player mode but it is somewhat.....lacking.

You can have up to 8 player's online, 4 on the human side who are trying to escape, when a human gets knocked down by a zombie they must be revived by their teammate before they are killed for good. You then have 4 player's on the zombie side that get to choose to become 1 of 3 super zombies, have infinite respawns, and always know where the humans are. These zombies are.....

Boomer - Boomers are bit fat zombies, they are able to vomit onto player's which does 2 things, blinding the player and attracting swarms of zombies towards that player. Boomer's also explode when killed, if the blood from the explosion hits you then the zombie swarms will be coming for you.

Hunter - Hunter's can jump over rooftops and climb walls, they also have a special "pounce" ability. They used to be able to stealth if they stood in 1 spot for a few seconds (you'd still be able to hear them growling) but I hear this has been taken out of L4D.

Smoker - Uses it's really long tongue as a weapon to drag humans towards it or to hang humans if it is stood somewhere over them like a rooftop. Also able to distort human vision using it's black smoke ability.

During every stage there are a few instance's when a zombie player is selected to become a special super zombie, you will only see this super zombie a few times per map.

The Tank - Look's like a huge muscular gorilla, it has a LOT of health and does a lot of damage, in addition it is able to fling large item's such as cars and concrete. The tank has some sort of "rage" meter where it has to fight the survivors asap, if the meter fill's up and you still haven't fought the survivors then you lose control of the tank.

There is 1 more super zombie, though this one cannot be player controlled, there is usually 1 per map.

The Witch - You can usually hear her crying which is a huge warning sign, if your careful you can walk right past her, she will only engage you if you shine your flashlight at her, make physical contact, or through loud sound such as gunfire. Witches are the most powerful zombies in the game.

As fun as the zombie's sound, human's are the way to properly experience this game.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']It seems pretty cool, though is it the type of game where a single headshot will take one of the zombies down? Or is it a button smashing frenzy to pull off enough shots to kill them?

I have to agree with you about resident Evil outbreak, it would have been a lot of fun online.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Normal zombies die in 1 headshot, the super zombies will take more than that though.

The tank and witch have a crapload of health.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Blitz_Kid']Do you know when it comes out? How much it cost to buy the game?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]US = November 18

Europe = November 21

PC version will cost around £25-£30, 360 version around £35-£40

UK always pays a lot more for games, for US the 360 version will probably be $50 or so[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]A couple days ago my friend who works at EB Games got an early demo of the game. Last night I had the fortunate opportunity to play it with him, another friend and a random online person.

This game has exceeded my expectations.

I knew Valve would deliver but I did not expect an online experience that could rival or even replace TF2. Seriously, the game is absolutely amazing.

There are four difficulties; Easy, Normal, Advanced and Expert. I suggest starting on Advanced as it's scarier but still easy enough to win whereas Expert can be pretty overwhelming.

You really do have to stick together to win. Survival lies within covering your teammates backs (by the way, pressing the right bumper makes your character pivot and look directly behind them which is a pretty cool function) and keeping each other healed. Example:

Last night we were running through a city building when we suddenly got jumped by about 20 zombies in front and behind us. We backed ourselves into a corner and my friends (who were in front of Zoey and I) crouched down so we could shoot over them. Zombies swarmed in and not a single one made it to us. It was epic.

But then a smoker grabbed Zoey and she was pulled across the room. This is where we fell apart because I ran after the smoker to save Zoey while my two friends began to lose the defense. When I got back they were both on the ground shooting and Zoey and I quickly finished the zombies and revived them. I got cocky for a few seconds and left the group and it almost cost us the game. That is what I love about this game.

The demo only has 2 levels but we played those 2 levels over and over. The random placement and number of Zombies and the people you play with proves to freshen the experience every single time you play a level and I cannot wait to get my hands on the full version.[I] /pre-order'd[/I]

[b]EDIT:[/b] And we killed a Witch on Expert! It was awesome because we didn't think it was even possible to kill witches but we were right next to the end of the level anyway so we tried and won! They're wicked fast though and will inflict serious damage on you then jump to another person. Only take one on if there are absolutely no zombies [i]ANYWHERE[/i].[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The public demo was released today for both 360 and PC, you can download the 360 version from the marketplace and the PC version from steam.

I've been playing the game for most of the day, a truly great game and I will definitely be picking up the 360 version on release.

Normal is indeed way too easy, the game should be played on Advanced at the least, Expert is completely insane and I love it.

Near the end of the subway stage, in the big room with the minigun turret, we got completely destroyed on Expert. We pulled the switch to open the shutter, and not only did we get absolutely SWARMED by zombies, a Tank made an appearance and simply destroyed us all.

Fun times![/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I've been playing this game so much lately that it drove me to create a music video of it. The very fact that I've been playing these same 2 levels over and over on the hardest difficulty has got me pumped for the full game. I don't think I'll ever stop playing it. :animenose

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Left 4 Dead Music Video by Lrb"]Za2yuAfAz00[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

Click [url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/289237.html][b]here[/b][/url] to view on GameTrailers.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I've been playing this game so much lately that it drove me to create a music video of it. The very fact that I've been playing these same 2 levels over and over on the hardest difficulty has got me pumped for the full game. I don't think I'll ever stop playing it. :animenose

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Left 4 Dead Music Video by Lrb"]Za2yuAfAz00[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

Click [url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/289237.html][b]here[/b][/url] to view on GameTrailers.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

LOVED THE VIDEO and hey great choice of song too, perfect for zombies lol.

I've only been able to play short bursts of the demo due to a busted hand but I'm completely sold, this game is fantastic. I love the characters, the hordes and the panic that overcomes everyone when they hear a witch or get slimed by a boomer.

Really, really love what Valve have done with the source engine lighting, too; anyone who has lit up a pitch black room with a flashlight only to catch a glimpse of something hurtling towards you knows what I mean! Unfortunately you don't seem to able to see your teammates' lights on the PC version but hopefully that will be sorted for the full game.

My main gripe is with the PC difficulty - as I said my hand is completely screwed yet I still managed to do fine against anything that wasn't a hunter. Expert was a breeze after 3-4 playthroughs of the subway level unless the AI spawned the witch in an unavoidable area and it's a bit too easy to kite the tank if there are obstacles nearby. It'll likely be much tougher with players controlling the zombies but I still think there should be yet another, more ridiculous difficulty setting.

Edit: seems advanced & expert in the full game are much, much tougher than they are in the demo, which is brilliant. Multiple tank & other special spawns along with thousands of zombies over the course of each campaign!

• 4 weeks later...
I bought the game played all the single player maps and loved them, I've gotta get xbox live now lol. But I had one downfall, there seems to be NO storyline to the games at all. I'm a gamer that likes storylines, other then that the game is by far one of the best zombie survival games I've ever played.

[quote name='Metalcore501']I bought the game played all the single player maps and loved them, I've gotta get xbox live now lol. But I had one downfall, there seems to be NO storyline to the games at all. I'm a gamer that likes storylines, other then that the game is by far one of the best zombie survival games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

Well the game Left 4 Dead storyline is suppose to be like a movie. Each different movie is suppose to be like at least an hour long depending on what level you choose. If you do good on one level the AI director will bring out more horde of zombie, but if you do poorly on one level the AI director will decrease the number of zombies that is sent after you and your teammates.

Guest ramendelux
:animenose[quote name='Metalcore501']I cant wait for this game to come out, ive been reading on it in game informer magazein for a few months. Does anybody else have info on the game?[/QUOTE]

HELL YEAH my brothers getting it i wanna play it so freaken bad ZOMBIE KILLIN **** YEAH!!!!!!!