OtakuBoards

Voice Actor Thread of Loving Lovitude

Shinmaru

As I've watched more anime (in higher volume and closer together), I've finally started recognizing certain seiyuu no matter what character they are voicing. Of course this means I have developed a few favorites from those I recognize; I am sure everyone else has their favorites, too, so I wanted to make a thread where we could all honor the voice actors we love so very much.

Criteria for fandom can be whatever you want -- caliber of acting, awesomeness of voice, a great range of characters you enjoy, etc. Feel free to include any actor of any language, too. This thread is definitely not limited to Japanese or English VAs; if you enjoy, say, a Spanish VA or a German VA or whatever, then tell us! Pictures are welcome, too, but I personally won't be including any, haha.

Anyway, I'll kickstart the thread ...

[b]Tomokazu Sugita[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Kyon ([b]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/b]), Takumi Mayama ([b]Honey and Clover[/b]), Subaru Sumeragi ([b]X[/b]), Hideki Motosuwa ([b]Chobits[/b])

I like how smooth his voice is and how he can go from composed to intensely angry and sarcastic and then back again in a fraction of a second. Hideki was my first exposure to him, but I don't really remember much of [b]Chobits[/b] -- I became more of a fan of his after seeing [b]Haruhi Suzumiya[/b]. Nothing against Crispin Freeman, who is a fine VA, but Sugita [i]is[/i] Kyon, no questions asked. His sarcasm is perfect and a joy to listen to; I don't know how anyone could not laugh uproariously while listening to his narration of "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina." His role as Mayama sealed my fandom -- he's so fantastic, and Mayama is such a difficult role because of his tricky relationships with Ayu and Rika.

[b]Keiji Fujiwara[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Holland Novak ([b]Eureka Seven[/b]), Shuuji Hanamoto ([b]Honey and Clover[/b]), Ali Al-Saachez ([b]Mobile Suit Gundam 00[/b]), Ladd Russo ([b]Baccano![/b])

Fujiwara is the seiyuu who got me more interested in researching roles. I like that his characters share the innate intensity his voice commands, although they are all different types of characters (well, Ali and Ladd are somewhat similar). Holland is my favorite Fujiwara character -- he really nails every aspect of Holland. His frustrations, his anger/jealousy, his love of Talho, his devotion to Eureka, his strength, etc. Fujiwara is just too great as Holland. He also makes a wonderful psychotic villain. His Ali Al-Saachez is a great random burst of chaos, violence and lust for war, and Ladd is just crazy fun.

[b]Yuichi Nakamura[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Tomoya Okazaki ([b]Clannad[/b]), Graham Aker ([b]Mobile Suit Gundam 00[/b]), Ikuto Tsukiyomi ([b]Shugo Chara![/b])

Nakamura just has a ****ing cool sounding voice. I wish I sounded like him. In [b]Clannad[/b] he has the sarcasm of Kyon, but the role is more emotional, and he hits those notes whenever it's required of him. Graham is just a hot-blooded, insanely awesome pilot bursting with FIGHTING SPIRIT~! He's probably my favorite Nakamura character just because I get to hear him shout awesome things and be super GAR. Ikuto is a cool customer; it's fun whenever he messes with Amu's head, although it can also be sort of creepy at times. lol

Anyway, enough blathering from me. Have at it, everyone!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well, since I can't really go into dub VAs without becoming predictable:

[B]Marina Inoue[/B]

She just gets the best roles. Ever. She's Kana from Minami-Ke, Yoko from Gurren Lagann, Iku from Library War, etc. I'm fairly certain everything this woman touches turns to gold. Which is why I'm planning to just go through her filmography next time I run out of stuff to watch.[/FONT]

I haven't really got to the point where i can say i have a favourite voice actor, although i dont even know her name (checking after this post) i like shion sonozaki's voice actor off higurashi no naku koro ni and kaname chidori from fullmetal panic :animesmil

Oh yeah, a seiyuu thread!!!

I've said it in many threads before, and my favorite seiyuu have never changed. They are:

[B]Atsuko Tanaka[/B]
Most notable for her voicing of Major Motoko Kusanagi in the GitS: SAC series, this sultry-voiced seiyuu has vocal cords so hypnotic she'll make you fall in love with the character she's playing. She's got a broad range of talent, and I admire her most because she hasn't diversified (you know, the singing track).

[B]Koichi Yamadera[/B]
My idol! He was Spike Speigel's voice in Cowboy Bebop, and he kills me everytime with his signature "Bangu!". He's got an awesome deep voice, and manages to convey a lot of attitude with it, making the character seem almost real.

[color=green]Heh, I don't know any japanese voice actors. So I don't have much of a choice but to be obvious here lol.

[b]Steven Blum[/b] - Most notably known as Spike (Cowboy Bebop) and is currently doing the voice of Wolverine in Wolverine and the X-Men. The only time I didn't really care for his voice was when he was voicing Kazuma in S-Cry-ed. (how is that suppose to be pronounced anyway? lol) He just don't sound right doing all that yelling or trying to sound all nice, and whatnot.

[b]Crispin Freeman[/b] - Haha, I first heard this guy as Alucard in Hellsing, and boy, he practically turned the name of that series into Alucard. Sure there were other great characters but none of them really had much of an impact on me the way Crispin did Alucard. And he really knows how to bring out the emotion in his characters... (He's the reason why I watched Eureka 7)

[b]Mary Elizabeth McGlenn[/b] - I hope I got that right. [strike]Seductive voice[/strike] The Major in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. She's like the Kirk (or is it Kurt?) Thorton of anime when it comes to detailed/thought provoking anime. She just sounds good when talking about err... stuff. lol

Kirk/Kurt Thorton
Chuck Huber
Can't remember who does the voice for Roy Mustang, but [spoiler]That day, all female officers will be required to wear... TINY MINISKIRTS![/spoiler] had me sold. Hehe.[/color]

[quote name='Magus'][color=green]
[b]Mary Elizabeth McGlenn[/b] - I hope I got that right. [strike]Seductive voice[/strike] The Major in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. She's like the Kirk (or is it Kurt?) Thorton of anime when it comes to detailed/thought provoking anime. She just sounds good when talking about err... stuff. lol.[/color][/QUOTE]

I first saw her in Outlaw Star as 'Hot Ice' Hilda. But for me, after watching the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, she has always been Julia to me. I don't know what it is, but her voice just has a certain quality that fits that character.

As for my favorite voice actress, it would have to be my new and possibly all time favorite:

[B]Riisa Naka[/B]

The only time I have ever seen her work, was when I watched the Girl Who Leapt Through Time. She played the main character, Makoto. Her voice work was so great it moved me to tears most of the time. (She really put so much emotion into that role. It was hard not to cry.)

Here's just the pic I was looking for of her too. Sorry about the subtitles though. I google-searched it. ><

[URL="http://i43.tinypic.com/2s6m4br.jpg"]Riisa Naka in kimono[/URL]

[quote name='Nessaja']I first saw her in Outlaw Star as 'Hot Ice' Hilda. But for me, after watching the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, she has always been Julia to me. I don't know what it is, but her voice just has a certain quality that fits that character.[/QUOTE]
I forgot she was even in Cowboy Bebop lol. It's been so long since I've seen CB till [spoiler]I forgot about her short-lived role.[/spoiler] She was really good in that too. If I'm not mistaken she was also Electra (Elektra?) in Knockin on Heaven's door as well.

I should probably check into Outlaw Star one of these days.

Edit: I also forgot to mention Laura Bailey. She did the voice for Lust in Fullmetal Alchemist. [strike]Another one with a seductive voice[/strike]. Then again that's the only thing I like her in though. I didn't care for her as Kid Trunks. (Then again, I didn't like him either.)

Seriously? No mention of [B]Norio Wakamoto[/B]? For shame! Arguably the greatest voice actor ever! Wakamoto has been in [URL="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=954"][U]everything[/U][/URL], and he's pretty much the Christopher Walken of anime - shows nowaday shave roles written just for him and his insane voice. Wakamoto is most known for his deep, crazed, and drawn out vocals that no one else can quite perform. He has done some great emotional roles as well, most notably as the [B]Coach[/B] from [B]Gunbuster[/B]. Some of his most well-known roles are as [B]Charles di Britannia[/B] in [B]Code Geass[/B], [B]Cell[/B] in[B] Dragon Ball Z[/B], and the one that introduced me, the newspaper company vice-president in [B]Baccano[/B]!.

I'm also quite partial to [B]Tomokazu Seki[/B] who plays[B] Domon Kasshu[/B] in [B]G Gundam[/B] and[B] Anime Taichou[/B] in that itself and [B]Lucky Star.[/B] There's a seiyuu joke in LS where Tomokazu Seki and Tomokazu Sugita are arguing over something. Seki's done a [URL="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=529"][U]number[/U][/URL] of great voices, but Domon is most notable... after all,[B] "BAAAKUNETSU! GODO FINGAAAA!!!"[/B]

I am not as familiar with Wakamoto as I'd like to be. He's in [b]Baccano![/b] for just the one episode, and I've been watching the [b]Code Geass[/b] dub so much lately that I forget how everyone sounds except for Jun Fukuyama as Lelouch.

Anyway, more from me!

[b]Shinichiro Miki[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Lockon Stratos ([b]Mobile Suit Gundam 00[/b]), Kurz Weber ([b]Full Metal Panic![/b]), Baroqueheat ([b]Hatenkou Yuugi[/b]), Tetsu ([b]Saikano[/b])

I mostly know Miki for playing characters who are sly flirts but are also hidden badasses. He's always a lot of fun in these roles. Lockon is my favorite character of his -- with that performance, you get the feeling his slyness is a cover for the anger he feels about [spoiler]his family being killed and his desire for vengeance due to that[/spoiler]. Weber and Baroqueheat are outrageously fun. Weber flirts with everything that has a skirt and a long pair of legs (and is hilarious while doing it), while Baroqueheat reserves his advances for Rahzel (but is also hilarious while doing this). Tetsu is the one big departure from the norm I have heard from Miki. He is mostly a serious guy, but he has a tender, loving side that cares deeply for Chise -- despite the fact that [spoiler]she is a weapon[/spoiler] -- and that also wishes to see his wife again.

[b]Mamiko Noto[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Kotomi Ichinose ([b]Clannad[/b]), Shimako Toudou ([b]Maria-sama ga Miteru[/b]), Anna Liebert ([b]Monster[/b]), Kazumi Aihara ([b]Kyo no Gononi[/b] OVA), Kotori Monou ([b]X[/b])

I've heard complaints that her voice sounds [i]too[/i] cute, but I like her voice (well, when she's not in a role obviously manufactured for moe *cough* Haruka Nogizaka *cough*). Her voice is comforting to listen to but also has a sort of spacey quality to it that some roles pick up on more than others. (Most notably for me, Kotomi, who is a true, blue space cadet.) My favorite Noto role is Anna, because it is cool to hear her play somewhat against type as a woman who could kill you at the drop of a hat (although Anna is plenty emotional and not pure, 100 percent badass).

[b]Mamoru Miyano[/b]
[b]Notable Roles:[/b] Light Yagami ([b]Death Note[/b]), Setsuna F. Seiei ([b]Mobile Suit Gundam 00[/b]), Tamaki Suou ([b]Ouran High School Host Club[/b]), Death the Kid ([b]Soul Eater[/b])

Maybe a trendy pick, but I don't care -- I like the guy a lot. He's proven to be a versatile seiyuu, with a bunch of wildly varying roles, and his voice always fits the character just right. I'd never imagine the same guy would be capable of playing Tamaki, and then playing Light, and then playing Setsuna, and then playing Death, but there you go. In terms of acting, he always hits the right note (lol), whether it's the goofiness of Tamaki or the dramatics of Light. Miyano's also has a pleasant tone to it: Like Yuichi Nakamura, he just [i]sounds[/i] really cool. I'd love to have his voice too.

oddly, I love Mamoru Miyano, especially as Death the Kid, but I cannot stand Noto. I thought she was great as Shimako in Marimite, and that's the only place I can really tolerate her. She just sounds so insanely unrealistic.

Also, the Wakamoto Baccano! character has another big scene in the OVA. A must-see.

[SIZE="1"]Given that I'm far more familiar with English VAs than Japanese VAs, I'll start off with those. Apologies if I use any that you all deem "overused" :P [And a majority of them I know through video games, too XD]

[B]Scott McNeil[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Hohenheim of Light [[I]Fullmetal Alchemist[/I]], Ali Al-Saachez [[I]Gundam 00[/I]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Kouga [[I]Inuyasha[/I]], Duo Maxwell [[I]Gundam Wing[/I]], Piccolo [in the original [I]Dragonball Z[/I] dub]

It's SCOTT FREAKIN' MCNEIL, DUDES. COME ON.

Seriously though, I'm in love with the man's voice. It's very rugged and sexy, which is weird, since that's not the character type I usually go for, heh. He plays a mean Ali, who, despite being a despicable, deplorable human being [spoiler]and Lockon's murderer[/spoiler], I actually like and is the most believable out of 00's antagonists [since people such as Graham, Soma and the like I don't really consider villains -- they just happen to oppose Celestial Being's ways]. As for Hohenheim, Hohopapa has always been my favorite from FMA, and even though he didn't get much screen time in the original anime [if the sequel is a direct representation of the manga,then he should be getting a lot more], his voice was perfect for him.

[B]Kirk Thornton[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Jin [[i]Samurai Champloo[/i]], Jade Curtiss [[i]Tales of the Abyss[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Hideo Kuze [[i]Ghost in the Shell SAC: 2nd Gig[/i]], Saix [[i]Kingdom Hearts II[/i]], Kaname Ougi [[I]Code Geass[/i]], and as for others, looking him up is advised, since his resume is staggering. XD

Kirk was originally the type to voice the older, grouchy type, but in recent years, he's been voicing the mostly quiet but amazingly awesome badass demographic [which can't really be said for Jade, because when he DOES talk, he speaks a mile a minute so he doesn't have to repeat himself, haha]. His voice is just sexy in the roles I've heard [I better stop using that word or else I'll be beating it into the ground with most of these people >_>], and his normal speaking voice is actually rather pleasant to listen to, as well. But I highly doubt any of you are taking this seriously and are convinced I'm only mentioning him because of him voicing my favorite sexyman, so lets move on...

[B]Kari Wahlgren[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Haruhara Haruko [[i]FLCL[/i]], Anemone [[i]Eureka 7[/i]], Fuu [[i]Samurai Champloo[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Kagami Hiiragi [[i]Lucky Star[/i]], Tsuruya-san [[i]Haruhi Suzumiya[/i]], Raine Sage [[i]Tales of Symphonia[/i]], Cher Degre [[i]Wolf's Rain[/i]], Robin Sena [[i]Witch Hunter Robin[/i]], Shino [[i].hack//G.U.[/i]]

Gah, it was all I could do not to list off EVERY role I know her as. XD I think most people will remember her as Haruko [or first encountered her that way]...which is great! FLCL is actually my favorite English dub of all time. But obviously that's not her only role, lol. Her Anemone was dead on and perfect, as well as her work as Fuu. Most of her roles are similar, the cunning, young type. But the one role in which she sounds like a totally different person is her role as Raine. I had no idea it was her until I looked it up [and when I was looking her up just now, I couldn't remember if it was her or not XD]. Definitely a great actress, my favorite female VA.

And now, one of the...two, three Japanese VAs I pay any attention to!!!

[B]Kamiya Hiroshi[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Nozomu Itoshiki [[i]Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei[/i]], Tieria Erde [[i]Gundam 00[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] ...I'm too tired to type them out. Just [U][URL="http://myanimelist.net/people/118/Hiroshi_Kamiya"]look at them here XP[/URL][/U]

Oh goodness. I first heard him as Nozomu, but I had no freaking idea that he was also the voice of Tieria until it was pointed out to me. Much OMG WTF THAT IS AMAZING was had. But dang, the guy is amazing. I don't pay too much attention to Japanese VAs, even with my watching of subs, but he's one of the few I pay attention to and admire. I could listen to both his Tieria and Nozomu voices all day and never get tired of it. And sheesh, the guy started out looking like a total fop, and now he's...a sexy beast. [U][URL="http://myanimelist.net/people/118/Kamiya_Hiroshi/pictures"]See for yourself.[/URL][/U][/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]Given that I'm far more familiar with English VAs than Japanese VAs, I'll start off with those. Apologies if I use any that you all deem "overused" :P [And a majority of them I know through video games, too XD]

[B]Scott McNeil[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Hohenheim of Light [[I]Fullmetal Alchemist[/I]], Ali Al-Saachez [[I]Gundam 00[/I]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Kouga [[I]Inuyasha[/I]], Duo Maxwell [[I]Gundam Wing[/I]], Piccolo [in the original [I]Dragonball Z[/I] dub]

It's SCOTT FREAKIN' MCNEIL, DUDES. COME ON.

Seriously though, I'm in love with the man's voice. It's very rugged and sexy, which is weird, since that's not the character type I usually go for, heh. He plays a mean Ali, who, despite being a despicable, deplorable human being [spoiler]and Lockon's murderer[/spoiler], I actually like and is the most believable out of 00's antagonists [since people such as Graham, Soma and the like I don't really consider villains -- they just happen to oppose Celestial Being's ways]. As for Hohenheim, Hohopapa has always been my favorite from FMA, and even though he didn't get much screen time in the original anime [if the sequel is a direct representation of the manga,then he should be getting a lot more], his voice was perfect for him.

[B]Kirk Thornton[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Jin [[i]Samurai Champloo[/i]], Jade Curtiss [[i]Tales of the Abyss[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Hideo Kuze [[i]Ghost in the Shell SAC: 2nd Gig[/i]], Saix [[i]Kingdom Hearts II[/i]], Kaname Ougi [[I]Code Geass[/i]], and as for others, looking him up is advised, since his resume is staggering. XD

Kirk was originally the type to voice the older, grouchy type, but in recent years, he's been voicing the mostly quiet but amazingly awesome badass demographic [which can't really be said for Jade, because when he DOES talk, he speaks a mile a minute so he doesn't have to repeat himself, haha]. His voice is just sexy in the roles I've heard [I better stop using that word or else I'll be beating it into the ground with most of these people >_>], and his normal speaking voice is actually rather pleasant to listen to, as well. But I highly doubt any of you are taking this seriously and are convinced I'm only mentioning him because of him voicing my favorite sexyman, so lets move on...

[B]Kari Wahlgren[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Haruhara Haruko [[i]FLCL[/i]], Anemone [[i]Eureka 7[/i]], Fuu [[i]Samurai Champloo[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] Kagami Hiiragi [[i]Lucky Star[/i]], Tsuruya-san [[i]Haruhi Suzumiya[/i]], Raine Sage [[i]Tales of Symphonia[/i]], Cher Degre [[i]Wolf's Rain[/i]], Robin Sena [[i]Witch Hunter Robin[/i]], Shino [[i].hack//G.U.[/i]]

Gah, it was all I could do not to list off EVERY role I know her as. XD I think most people will remember her as Haruko [or first encountered her that way]...which is great! FLCL is actually my favorite English dub of all time. But obviously that's not her only role, lol. Her Anemone was dead on and perfect, as well as her work as Fuu. Most of her roles are similar, the cunning, young type. But the one role in which she sounds like a totally different person is her role as Raine. I had no idea it was her until I looked it up [and when I was looking her up just now, I couldn't remember if it was her or not XD]. Definitely a great actress, my favorite female VA.

And now, one of the...two, three Japanese VAs I pay any attention to!!!

[B]Kamiya Hiroshi[/B]
[B]My favorite roles:[/B] Nozomu Itoshiki [[i]Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei[/i]], Tieria Erde [[i]Gundam 00[/i]]
[B]Notable roles:[/B] ...I'm too tired to type them out. Just [U][URL="http://myanimelist.net/people/118/Hiroshi_Kamiya"]look at them here XP[/URL][/U]

Oh goodness. I first heard him as Nozomu, but I had no freaking idea that he was also the voice of Tieria until it was pointed out to me. Much OMG WTF THAT IS AMAZING was had. But dang, the guy is amazing. I don't pay too much attention to Japanese VAs, even with my watching of subs, but he's one of the few I pay attention to and admire. I could listen to both his Tieria and Nozomu voices all day and never get tired of it. And sheesh, the guy started out looking like a total fop, and now he's...a sexy beast. [U][URL="http://myanimelist.net/people/118/Kamiya_Hiroshi/pictures"]See for yourself.[/URL][/U][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Just to point this out: Kari Walhgren's most notable roles has to include Blood+'s Saya. I mean, come on, she made that girl sound halfway decent!

[quote name='Aurgelmir']Just to point this out: Kari Walhgren's most notable roles has to include Blood+'s Saya. I mean, come on, she made that girl sound halfway decent![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I never liked Blood+, so I didn't really bother to list her for that. Sorry. :P

If you want, you can make your OWN post and credit her for it. :D[/SIZE]

Same here, and I'm not so certain that Blood+ did all that well here in the states. (no repeats) If anything, I found Kari to be more annoying as Saya, (Not so much as Riku though) but I blame the character for the annoyances, though, because Kari is very talented. I liked her more in IGPX as Satomi.

I like Blood+ actually, and I think Wahlgren did a good job, but... yeah, I think we have enough vampire stories here. Doesn't help anime isn't mainstream to begin with.

Anyway, on to topic! Here's pretty much my top five VAs around, starting with...

[b]Crispin Freeman[/b]
[b]Personal favorites[/b]: Cougar (Scryed), Holland (Eureka 7), Togusa (Ghost in the Shell), Kyon (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Honestly, I think Crispin's voice is just perfect for anime. He's been in a lot of anime and, as far as I know, he doesn't try to change his voice too much. Some people find fault in that, but I appreciate his skill in being able to make his voice fit the character nearly every time.
Simply put, Crispin's is a voice I enjoy hearing.

[b]Shinichiro Miki[/b]
[b]Personal favorites[/b]: Allen Schezar (Escaflowne), Crim (.hack//SIGN), Kuhn (.hack//Roots/G.U.)

Instead of going on about this man generally, I want to look closer at his role with Allen Schezar.
It's interesting because I don't even like Allen. The character bugs the crap out of me. However! Miki's voice is so soothing I can stand it. Plus, Miki fits the flirty type of personality, which is definitely true for Allen, not to mention Kuhn (oh gosh, especially Kuhn).

[b]Maaya Sakamoto[/b]
[b]Personal favorites[/b]: Aura (.hack), Leaf (Record of Lodoss War), Haruhi (Ouran High School Host Club), Hitomi Kanzaki (Escaflowne)

Maaya doubles as both a voice actress and a singer. I like her music a lot actually, but I think she's strongest with voice acting. It's surprising when you watch Escaflowne and hear her as Hitomi (the lead) and then find out that was her first role. For her first job ever, I believe she did a great job and really endeared me to the character. Then, if you look at one of her more recent roles as Haruhi, you see she's quite good at comedy as well.
Also, as has been true for all the VAs so far, I just plain like hearing her talk.

[b]Kari Wahlgren[/b]
[b]Personal favorites[/b]: Anemone (Eureka 7), Fuu (Samurai Champloo), Shino (.hack//G.U.)

Wahlgren really has two types of voices she will commonly use: ones like Anemone that are more grating (but not annoying) and then things like Raine from Tales of Symphonia that are more gentle and mature sounding. Frankly, I love both types and yet again hers is just a great voice for anime/games. Honestly, she [i]made[/i] me adore Anemone and Fuu with her work; that's rather impressive.

[b]Kaori Nazuka[/b]
[b]Personal favorites[/b]: Shino (.hack//Roots/G.U.)

I may only be listing one role there, but Nazuka's done plenty of notable roles, such as Eureka from Eureka 7 and Kisa Sohma from Fruits Basket. But, really, Shino is my favorite one she's done (and that I've heard thus far). It's that whole spiel of, "Ohh, her voice just fits the character perfectly and I believe she's really her!"
Nazuka's voice was really perfect for capturing Shino's personality type, and I believe you find that being a common trend in most of her roles.

• 2 months later...
Yukino Satsuki, no competition there. She excels in every role (Kaname from FMP, Saki from Genshiken, Ai from Planetes, Kagome from Inuyasha to name a few).

I also like Junko Noda (Kitsune from Love Hina, Reki form Haibane Renmei) and Aya Hirano (Haruhi).

I don't really have a favourite male seiyu... maybe Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch), his voice definitely contributed to the greatness of his character.

(again, I haven't watched that much stuff, so this list is limited for the time being)