OtakuBoards

Coraline

Dagger

[CENTER][youtube]Js7wxoqeVK0[/youtube][/CENTER]

Hits US theaters on February 6. Am mad jealous of those of you who will get to see this movie in 3-D. It's based on a dark, surreal children's novel by Neil Gaiman. The entire movie is done via stop-motion animation, which makes it impressive as a technical feat in its own right. Reviews have been very positive so far, and the author himself is 100% behind the production. I really hope Coraline is a success, personally.

Anyone planning to go watch it? :p

~Dagger~

I watched that preview on television a week or so ago and I'm sort've on the fence. I've liked all of Tim Burton's animated features (and yes I know this isn't Tim Burton, but it seems like it's in the same genre).

I'll probably take my niece and go watch it the weekend after opening (I love having a younger niece, keeps me from feeling like the creepy old guy going to watch kids movies.

[size=1]It looks like a [i]good[/i] Nightmare Before Christmas. There's an IMax theatre where I live so it might be shown in 3D there... in which case I'll drag my friends for a night out to see it. Which would be especially funny as one of my friends cried at 'the Railway Children' when she was younger because it was 'terrifying'.[/size]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden'] I've liked all of Tim Burton's animated features (and yes I know this isn't Tim Burton, but it seems like it's in the same genre).

[/QUOTE]

It is actually produced by a close friend and associate of Tim Burton's, who has worked on all of his films.

I'm of two opinions about this. One it looks like it could be interesting, quirky and fun to watch. The other, I wasn't all that keen on the other works done in this style so I wonder if it's worth going or not. I mean The Nightmare Before Christmas was sort of a meh experience for me.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][CENTER][FONT="Times New Roman"]My boyfriend the psychological masters degree holder says that there's a cool and exciting reason that Coraline's alternate universe involves buttons where the eyes are.

Unfortunately he can't remember what it is. But it's bugging me.[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][CENTER][FONT="Times New Roman"]My boyfriend the psychological masters degree holder says that there's a cool and exciting reason that Coraline's alternate universe involves buttons where the eyes are.

Unfortunately he can't remember what it is. But it's bugging me.[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] It probably has to do with Freud concept of the "Uncanny" ([url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Uncanny[/url]) and the idea of inanimate/animate becoming animate/inanimate, losing one's individuality, etc.[/font]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I watched that preview on television a week or so ago and I'm sort've on the fence. I've liked all of Tim Burton's animated features (and yes I know this isn't Tim Burton, but it seems like it's in the same genre).

I'll probably take my niece and go watch it the weekend after opening (I love having a younger niece, keeps me from feeling like the creepy old guy going to watch kids movies.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Coraline isn't exactly a kid movie since it has a PG rating, but then again Kung Fu Panda had a PG rating and I took my then three year old to see that. I guess it's all in the parent's perspective.

I could go see it in 3-D since I have the IMAX theater near my house, plus my sister-in-law is a manager there so if I ask ahead of time I can get free passes.

I've been watching the previews for it for a while now, and my daughter (who is four now) did seem to like it when we went to see Diaspereaux (which By the way was quite darker than I expected, but she seemed fine)

I seriously need to live near people my own age[/color][/font][/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I'm glad there's already a thread about this because I saw this movie yesterday and I [i]have to talk about it[/i]. :animestun

To start, [I]visually[/I] this was the one of the best movies I've ever seen. It surpasses all my other favourite visually driven films such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen. Now, I did see it in [b]REAL-D[/b] which is the only way to see this if you're planning on going to the silver screen. It's worth an extra 20 minute drive if you have to (and an extra 5 bucks for the ticket).

So visually the movie was a masterpiece, and I have to say that part of that is because all the music matched what was on screen [i]perfectly[/i]. The soundtrack was thrilling to listen to as the movie progressed and it really did it's job. Don't believe me? Listen to the end credits.

[center][youtube=End Credits (Coraline)]XnIUVHtLC08[/youtube][/center]

And of course all of this was tied together with an excellent story suitable for [i]older[/i] children and brilliant casting. Keith David? [i]Awesome[/i]. So if you were thinking about seeing this then go [i]NOW[/i] and see it in 3D.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I'm glad there's already a thread about this because I saw this movie yesterday and I [i]have to talk about it[/i]. :animestun[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Same here, Lrb. :animestun

I also saw the movie in 3D. (Not at an IMAX theater though.) The glasses were pretty nice too. Not flimsy cardboard ones like I thought they would be. Anyways, onto the movie itself.

I was expecting it to be a bit creepier, but as it was it still had some parts that creeped me out. I loved how they used stop motion though. It looked great. Also, after watching the movie I [I]had[/I] to go get the soundtrack. I think this is the first movie I've seen where the music fit so well and I actually liked all of the different pieces that were played. (Some of my favorites were the Circus Mice music and the music for Mr. Bobinsky.) Besides that I have too many favorites.

So yeah, a great movie. Bring a friend though, or you'll be disappointed. I know I was. I saw it by myself and had no one to discuss it with afterwards. Especially since They Might Be Giants sang the Other Father song. (And at the time, I thought 'It couldn't be them' but had no one to ask what they thought.)

Also, I'll end this with a funny story. The mix up about her name being 'Caroline' instead of Coraline in the movie was really funny to me because I tried to tell a friend about this movie, and she was swearing that I had the name of it wrong and that it was called 'Caroline'. XD

Anyways, good movie. Like other people have said, go see it now and in 3D if you can.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Nessaja']

Also, I'll end this with a funny story. The mix up about her name being 'Caroline' instead of Coraline in the movie was really funny to me because I tried to tell a friend about this movie, and she was swearing that I had the name of it wrong and that it was called 'Caroline'. XD
[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
I remember when my girlfriend pointed out something like this when we were in line for our tickets. A father was buying tickets for his children. He said, “1 adult and 2 kids for Caroline”, where his daughter kind of lashed out and said, “no, it’s Coraline”. I thought it pretty funny, because I can relate to the father.

Before this weekend, I haven’t really heard to much talk about this movie other than that it’s just good. I heard some commercials that this would be the last chance to catch it in 3d, so I dragged my girlfriend along to a big name theater at a mall. Overall this movie is just great: music, visuals, characters, story, and is clearly the best movie in 3d (really, how many are there?). My favorite character is defiantly the cat.

Granted though, it was a little darker than I expected it to be. This drew me in a little more, but I started to feel sad when I saw a little teary eyed young one walk away with a parent to not be seen again. Along with the creepiness, I found it to be a pretty deep story, where I’m sure I missed a few themes here and there. A movie I would like buy and look into some synopses later.

My girlfriend also enjoyed the movie, but feels she has to stress how scary the movie was to her and also the scene that took gravity defying breasts to a new low that probably shouldn’t belong in a PG movie.
[/COLOR][/FONT]