OtakuBoards

New to the comic world

Magus

[FONT="Times New Roman"]Not entirely. I know about DC, Marvel and Dark Horse, but never really read anything from them.

As you can see in my sig that I've been watching Wolverine and the X-Men and I think it's really good. Of course, I grew up on the X-Men cartoon from the 90s (Spider-Man and Batman as well.) Saw a character in WatXM (Domino) that I've never heard of before, and seeing how I was playing this card game called VS System for a little bit, and I thought it was time to expand the my knowledge about these marvel characters that I know nothing about.

Anyway, I'm looking to jump into the comic world. Just like anime, I'm an artwork freak. I'm looking for more modern age-ish comics. I've been told about Ultimate X-Men and Spider-Man. Are there any others? Any good comics in DC with some good artwork?

Oh yeah, I'm a fan of X-Men (I don't mind single character comics either), Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool and Justice League. I feel as if I left something off.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][I][B]DARK TOWER[/B][/I]

There are three arcs out at the moment; [B]Gunslinger Born[/B] and[B] Long Road Home[/B] both being in hardback now. [B]Treachery[/B] is the current arc, but I think it'll be finishing soon.

The art is done by Jae Lee and coloured by Richard Isanove. I ADORE Jae Lee's artwork, and he's also worked on X-Men, Batman, Fantastic Four and loads of others, so you may already be familiar with his work.

The story is adapted from the fourth of seven novels by Stephen King, if you've ever heard of them, and are fantasy mainly, for genre, so maybe it isn't your thing. The story is so good though and the characters are so colourful I'd recommend them to anyone.

[B][U]EXAMPLES;[/U][/B]
[URL="http://www.fantomcomics.com/FEB072100_hi_DARK_TOWER_GUNSLINGER_BORN.jpg"]One[/URL] , [URL="http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/12/19/darktower1-large.jpg"]Two[/URL] , [URL="http://www.fantomcomics.com/JAN072346_hi_STEPHEN_KINGS_DARK_TOWER_GUNSLINGER_BORN.jpg"]Three[/URL]
[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]Hmm. Might want to check out [B]Atomic Robo[/B], done by the same guy who writes 8-bit Theater. Read a teaser, and style is very DC without a lot of the newer Nihilistic outlooks that seem to be becoming popular. Good bit of casual humor, and doesn't go over the top. I smiled when I read some.[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]If you're looking for instant gratification, Sandman, Kingdom Come, and Batman: DKR are all great reads that you can just pick up. Sandman will get expensive, though; there are 11 volumes of that, so beware. Kingdom Come and DKR are nice because they're almost completely self contained. Unfortunately, DKR has terrible art.

For the Ultimate series, I'd suggest sticking to the first few volumes of any series. They with the intent of avoiding a lot of the horrible cliches in mainstream comics (time travel, dimensional travel, resurrection), but after a year or two they gave in and now they're really not worth it. Ultimates and Ultimates 2 are both really good, though; slick artwork and excellent writing.

If you're looking for ongoing titles, I recommend New Avengers from Marvel. I can't vouch for anything else; Marvel and DC are currently focused on the majors crossovers Dark Reign and Final Crisis. Marvel can't seem to go one week without a major crossover and all of the DC titles I read are currently going through a changing of the guard.

I am, however, enjoying the current Brave and the Bold storyline from DC, which involves the Phantom Stranger, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow. I suggest shopping around; pick up a couple random or interesting looking titles a week (or two), see which ones you like and go from there.[/color]

CTRL+F has alerted me to two terrible facts:

1. Nobody has mentioned [U]Watchmen.[/U]

2. Nobody has uttered the name Alan Moore...not even Ezekiel. He's one of your fellow countrymen, for God's sake!

If you're looking strictly for super hero action, I would recommend- no, I would shout at the top of my lungs, "[SIZE="3"]go get [U]Watchmen![/U][/SIZE]

Truthfully, anything by Alan Moore is good. [U]V for Vendetta[/U] would be next on the list, once you take out [U]Watchmen[/U].

And as nerdsy mentioned: Frank Miller's [U]The Dark Knight Returns[/U] is definitely required reading for any fan of Batman [I]or[/I] Frank Miller.

[color=deeppink]Moore is considerably better if you ease into him. His stories are pretty boring... in Watchmen, for example, it takes so damn long for anything interesting to happen.

I'd recommend waiting for a while before tackling anything by Moore.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Moore is considerably better if you ease into him. His stories are pretty boring... in Watchmen, for example, it takes so damn long for anything interesting to happen.

I'd recommend waiting for a while before tackling anything by Moore.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh tush, the Watchmen is a wonderful cavalcade of magic and literary references to obscure things you might not get unless you have wikipedia at your right hand a dictionary at your left.

I recommend it regardless so you seem like a cool and seasoned member of the comic book reading society. But I still recommend Sin City series, because to be honest they are the most interesting non PG rated comics out there. Plus there's the whole Tarantino style handling of time. It'll knock your knickers.[/FONT][/COLOR]