OtakuBoards

Killzone 2

silpheedpilot

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I'm actually a little surprised that no one has made a thread about this, and if they have; just merge 'em.

Either way, it came out about two days ago and, of course, I bought it. I'm sure some of you are wondering; "Is it REALLY as good as the reviewers say it is?" and I say; "Yes."

Now, it's not without it's flaws. The aiming is a pain in the ***, and the story rears it's ugly head constantly. You want to care about what's going on but one dimensional characters keep you from really giving a rats ***.

The graphics are top notch. Best I've ever seen on a console, and the sounds? Oooh man, the sounds will blow you away. When you shoot a gun outside it sounds different from when you shoot it in a small hallway, you hear the rockets streak past you, bullets snap when they strike something close to you. Really engaging.

The multiplayer is what really sets this apart from other FPS with persistent rankings and on-the-fly gametypes during long team death matches. Lots of things to unlock ranging from weapons to various other skills. The better you play your class, the fast you can merge its skills with other classes.
The maps are generally of a good size, and you can never be spawn camped or feel trapped because there are so many exits and hallways, entryways, breezeways, paths, you name it.
It's really hard to dislike the multiplayer.

All in all it's a top notch buy, or if you're a bunch of cheap ***** (You know who you are.) then just rent it and enjoy it for 5 days. That'll be more than enough time to get you on your knees, begging for cash from your parents.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]I played the first Killzone and it's still one of my favourite games, for some odd reason. I'm not really a gamer at all, since I hijack my brother's consoles all the time, but I plan on buying Killzone 2 for myself just to see. Or wait for my brother to buy it.

I probably won't touch the multiplayer or online crap; it's not my thing. I just play the story mode...[/size]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Nah, there's no other thread for KZ2, so we're all good here.

If I ever get out of my SFIV craze (which is most likely to happen, since all the people on XBL play Ken and do the same dang things), I 'll get to playing Killzone2. I enjoyed KZ1 and KZ2 doesn't look like it would dissappoint.

Something I've come to realize in many FPS games is that they simulate the pulling of a trigger very well in the games. My dad pointed out to me why my shots were off target in Medal of Honor. It seems like they have simulated pulling a trigger down to the T, so if you pull a shot by squeezing the trigger too fast, then it messes up your shot. Just like in real life shooting.

That's pretty interesting.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]
Something I've come to realize in many FPS games is that they simulate the pulling of a trigger very well in the games. My dad pointed out to me why my shots were off target in Medal of Honor. It seems like they have simulated pulling a trigger down to the T, so if you pull a shot by squeezing the trigger too fast, then it messes up your shot. Just like in real life shooting.

That's pretty interesting.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]
See, the aiming isn't so bad because your character is pulling the trigger and making his shot go wild. Instead it's because of the aiming acceleration and the spotty deadzone, as well as millisecond input lag. Not to mention that the P Trip's controller is absolute GARBAGE in comparison to the Trip 60's awesome controller.

But, that is a neat theory.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]My brother got it today. He's a really good gamer so he makes it look incredibly easy (I can only do it on the easy level lol) but so far I like it.

Has anyone else noticed that the Helghast have British accents? At least I think they do. I still love the way they scream when they get blown up.

(*Can't offer any review or insight =p*)[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]My brother got it today. He's a really good gamer so he makes it look incredibly easy (I can only do it on the easy level lol) but so far I like it.

Has anyone else noticed that the Helghast have British accents? At least I think they do. I still love the way they scream when they get blown up.

(*Can't offer any review or insight =p*)[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I did notice they had British accents, those limey-- Just kidding. A select few eventually get Russian accents. I guess all of Helghan is European and Russian.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='2009DigitalBoy']My friend bought it, but none of us could tolerate the aiming. He kicks *** at it and said 'this would be my top shooter if the aiming didn't suck' but as things stand he's planning to sell the game if it isn't patched in 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]From what I've read; Guerilla Games see's no problem with the aiming and attributes it to going against the grain of all those 'CoD clones'. Oh well.

I wouldn't throw a sandwich away because it had onions, I'd brush them off and continue eating. So, I'm not gonna sell perhaps the best shooter to grace the PS3 because the controls aren't as tight as I'd like them to be. Just find a weapon that doesn't require laser precision aiming and go to town!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have a question, and it will determine whether I get this game or not; Is it the physical movement of aiming that sucks (horizontal and vertical changes), or is it like the first Killzone, where the bullets go everywhere EXCEPT where you effing aim?

Also, is the sniper rifle still a ***** to use?

[quote name='Chaos']I have a question, and it will determine whether I get this game or not; Is it the physical movement of aiming that sucks (horizontal and vertical changes), or is it like the first Killzone, where the bullets go everywhere EXCEPT where you effing aim?

Also, is the sniper rifle still a ***** to use?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]The aiming is a mix of sub-par technical design. The deadzone is too high, and the aim acceleration is kinda wonky. Some say there is input lag as well, but I don't think so. It's by no means a bad game, or game breaking. It's still an incredible game. Once you get used to the way it controls, you're fine.

As for the sniper rifle; Its like a sniper rifle from other games with one gimmick. You have to actually hold your controller steady or your aim gets all shaky. Kinda neat.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'd planned on hijacking my buddies PS3 for this, but to no avail right now. I've had to settle for sitting idley by and enjoying the sites. Though I ran around a little bit, I really didn't catch as much as the hype as I thought I would.

Maybe that's due to the hype being bigger than the game. (But golly that never happens?)

Okay, so I had a really good day at work and got a boatload of tips today. So, of course, I have to spend it. I was going to get either this or HAWX, and decided I can have many more hours of enjoyment in playing this than unlocking all of the planes I've already unlocked in Ace Combat Zero.

Oh. My. Friggin'. God.

This game rocks. So many improvements from the original Killzone, though the same atmosphere is there...mostly.

I don't see what everyone's problem is with the aiming. Speed up the axis sensitivity and it's just like COD4. I mean, really, because they have a 'physics' engine to the character's body, it is broken? Come on, lighten up. Why not go after Halo or Gears for hyper-fast and super-unrealistically accurate aiming?

Speaking of Gears, I feel like I'm playing Gears with KZ2. Same basic atmosphere, same gloom and doom, only the enemies aren't twice your size...generally. The only added benefit is that I don't get ripped to shreds when I step in the shadows, lol.

The sound is amazing, the graphics rock, and the controls are great. I love the sniping in this game (so much better than the zany scoped view in the first Killzone) and the use of the Sixaxis when sniping. Draws you in just a little bit more.

Though I do have some complaints.

The first is the lack of secondary firing or weapon attachments. No Masterkey-type underbarrel weapons? For shame.

Melee spamming is too cheap and too easy. ...Though I do abuse it to no end, especially in single player when I advance and stun with the pistol. >_>

The cover system works, but sometimes acts a little screwy. I don't like how there are sections of one whole area that can provide cover but suddenly you can't press against the wall at a certain point. Also, I should be able to toggle crouch.

I can revive a teammate seventeen times in one mission, but I can't be revived? Not even a thirty second window? Tch.

The shotgun is too good. Too much range. Normally I would praise gamemakers for protraying guns realistically, but it's almost to the point of being broken.

Story is weak and too forced in some spots.

But overall this game rocks. I can tell I will be wasting much time on it.