OtakuBoards

Introducing People To Anime

jomz

(originally replied to [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38280"]Introducing Anime[/URL] Thread)
I was planning on opening a thread on introducing people to anime... Good thing I dug the searches, and found this...

I got some good ideas from this one.

Introducing people to anime is tough, but with the right show, they'll be hooked. ^_~

Maybe I'll try with Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent. If I get a hold of Monster, I'll show that one, too. ^_^

--Edit--

Since this was moved to a new thread, I guess I better do some better introductions compared to the one above. So, here it goes...

[B]Influencing others to join the fold...[/B]
I try to make my friends watch Anime. Some have negative ideas about it being "for kids," which also puts me in a negative light... =_=

What better way to retaliate than to find something to hook them in, then come back with an "I told you so..." or something like that...

So, what shows did you use to influence your friends to Anime?

Or a worse case scenario - what Anime would you recommend for those who have no particular interest in anything, and has a little negative impression on anime in general. (Yeah, a tough one...)

So, what say you?

Cowboy Bebop's a given. Paranoia Agent, I'm not so sure. I think that one is more of an acquired taste. Granted I've never seen it though. I'm just going by what I heard about it. Mainly that it's one of those mind-twisters... You're better off trying to start people off with Death Note.

Wait, Cowboy Bebop... Yes! Some one still remembers Cowboy Bebop, I love that anime so much. Ed, Spike, and the gang. I'm not even sure that AS still shows it., does anyone know for sure? Oh, and Paranoia Agent is one heck of a show, you have to be in just the right mood to injoy it. Also the Intro sequence is trippy! :)

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='jomz']I was planning on opening a thread on introducing people to anime... Good thing I dug the searches, and found this...[/quote]Actually when a thread is that old on a more general topic like this, it's usually best to start a new thread. =P So I went ahead and simply moved the new posts into a thread. If you want a different title just say so jomz and I'll edit it for you.

Anyway, Anime has changed a lot in the past four to five years so I'm betting there are a lot more shows out that are ideal for introducing people to anime.

I actually tend to use stuff like [B]Case Closed[/B] and [B]Fruits Basket[/B] to get people started on anime. They're both excellent shows and yet not too far out there. So far, everyone I've subjected to these shows, has enjoyed them and gone on to check out other stuff. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Indi'][COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]Actually when a thread is that old on a more general topic like this, it's usually best to start a new thread. =P So I went ahead and simply moved the new posts into a thread. If you want a different title just say so jomz and I'll edit it for you.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks, Indi. I'll remember that. I would go for a sillier title, but this is alright with me. :D

[quote name='Indi'][COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]
Anyway, Anime has changed a lot in the past four to five years so I'm betting there are a lot more shows out that are ideal for introducing people to anime.

I actually tend to use stuff like [B]Case Closed[/B] and [B]Fruits Basket[/B] to get people started on anime. They're both excellent shows and yet not too far out there. So far, everyone I've subjected to these shows, has enjoyed them and gone on to check out other stuff. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, Case Closed is a good show specially if one is inclined to mystery and crime solving. One interesting note about Fruits Basket is the show's relation to the Chinese Zodiac.

I've gotten my fiance into certain shows. She liked Death Note and Pokemon better than InuYasha. SHe was all indeath note too bad it was like the last four episodes. Im not sure how she felt about cleach. Before we got cable we watched my Outlaw Star DVD set. I planone getting Trigun and a few others. Like ZOids and Gundam Wing. I had to explain to her how not all anime is kiddy. I think the first thing we watched on TV was FLCL talk about a short anime for all those complaining in the Trigun thread, would you rather have 28 episodes and a fully understandable series or 5 shows of xonfusion? I think FLCL should've atleast had a movie.

The thing about introducing anime to anyone is everyone has different tastes. If you know their tastes, then you can guess at what they'd enjoy, but if you don't... it could be disastrous.

I've never personally had to introduce anime to my friends or family. I've tried a couple times with my dad, since when he thinks of anime he imagines stuff like Speed Racer. So, to combat that, I have used things like [i]Mushi-Shi[/i], any Miyazaki film, even certain Satoshi Kon works.
Basically, anything that has 1) a good dub, 2) a premise that is not silly and/or out there, and 3) nothing I think he'd be offended by.

Of course, I doubt he'll completely get into anime. But I do sometimes wish I could share my hobby with people I have more contact with in real life, and my dad is one of those cherished'uns. So, I try.

In general though, if I were to attempt to get friends into anime, I'd probably introduce them to the stuff that got [i]me[/i] into it. Anime like [i]Cowboy Bebop[/i] and [i]Trigun[/i] are definitely choice material.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']Basically, anything that has 1) a good dub, 2) a premise that is not silly and/or out there, and 3) nothing I think he'd be offended by.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap! I forgot about dubs... > >

Getting people to enjoy anime through subbed works will definitely be torture, specially if they are not used to reading a lot of stuff while paying attention to the action.

Knowing their interests is really key to introducing someone. I never watched much, if any, anime until a few years ago when one of my friends (looks at [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR]) decided that I needed to branch out. It probably didn't help that I'd tease her about it.

So I ended up watching Fruits Basket. Mainly since she was pretty certain I'd like it and she was right. I'm still not a major fan, far from it, but it still lead to here and picking up other shows from time to time.

But yeah, like Miss A just said. A good dub (subbing is nice and all but I think in your own language lets people really get into it instead of being distracted by needing to read), something that isn't totally whack and definitely watch out for things they wouldn't like.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]Whenever I try to introduce someone to anime, I try to not only pick something that would fit their interests, but I go for something that isn't forever and a day long. Take Case Closed, it is fun but jeez, it has so many episodes that haven't even been licensed that it's just absurd really.

So in addition to what everyone else has said, I'd go for something that is 26 episodes or less. If it's their first time really watching anime, they're more likely to enjoy it if it's not bogged down with useless fillers like some shows are. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I would recommend Trigun, Bleach, and Death Note. This gives that person a wide variety. With Bleach, you get alot of action. With Death Note, you get a deep plot line that makes you think. Now with Trigun, you get a combination of both, a deep plot line and action.

My technique usally gets the job done. The people I use this technique on usally like Death Note and Trigun the most, but thats just my friends.

Hmm... While Bleach can be easy to probably get people into (teens), but if the person is anything like me when it comes to action, then Bleach is certainly not something you want to take a chance on. Rurouni Kenshin would be a better bet. (Just have them stop after the Shishiou arc is over lol)

I also have to agree with Rach about knowing said people's interests. Don't want to take any chances on bringing people in on action if you know they're into the lovey dovey romance stuff.

But then again, I've never took the time to try to introduce people to anime. XD

[quote name='Magus']I also have to agree with Rach about knowing said people's interests. Don't want to take any chances on bringing people in on action if you know they're into the lovey dovey romance stuff.[/quote]Exactly. One of my friends tried that, using NGE, even though he knew I'm not into depressing psychological trips. His reasoning being since it was his favorite I would like it too. And then he couldn't and wouldn't understand why I didn't like it. Where [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] started me out of stuff she was pretty sure I would like.

I shudder to think of what my impression of anime would have been if NGE was my first real exposure. It's tempting to want to use your favorite shows, but better to try and use something that they're more likely to enjoy. ^^

I've had bitter battles trying to get my fiancee into Anime. I've tried showing her Inuyasha, and trigun when they were on Adult Swim, but she wrote them off as "cartoons".

I then switched up the pace and got her watching Berserk to replace the comedy aspect with more adult violence, and that was shot down due to too much violence.

So finally I rooped her with FMA. As far as mainstream anime's go it ascendes 'kiddie' enough, but doesn't go into the realm of ridiculousness, well I guess in her eyes.

I guess you just have to find something that's outside the realm of a cartoon and just hope it sticks.

[SIZE="1"]It depends more on what a person's tastes are in entertainment. Some people are just completely thrown off all together that they would ever watch a cartoon but you'd have to introduce anime more as animated adult television. The majority of anime shows and movies have more adult content and themes and sometimes have many underlying meanings in them.

My former girlfriend didn't think that anime was anything great until I introduced her to Bleach since a man my mother worked with let me borrow his box set. She blew it off at first because apparently I caused a distraction while she tried to watch anything so I told her to watch it later on that night when I left and she became addicted immediately once she understood what was going on and could focus more on the storyline.

Preferably just look for genre's that someone enjoys on a regular basis and slip them an anime with the same and see how it blows over.[/SIZE]

So I was introduced to anime by my father. I got my husband into Rurouni Kenshin fairly easily. I say this because he enjoyed DBZ (Americanized) and because Kenshin is an amazing anime.

I recently tried getting my brother into Naruto and failed. I even gave him Shippuden and he watched the episodes with Gaara vs. Deidara and still thought it was "just okay." I think it's because I gave him Kenshin at the same time and he loved it.

I think Death Note would also be a great anime to start someone off with. Ninja Scroll seems to be a classic as well. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely a memorable experience.

I agree with everyone on trying to match the person's interests. The dub thing is also very important. I pretty much stray completely from dubs unless the person absolutely despises having to read subtitles.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Exactly. One of my friends tried that, using NGE, even though he knew I'm not into depressing psychological trips. His reasoning being since it was his favorite I would like it too. And then he couldn't and wouldn't understand why I didn't like it. Where [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] started me out of stuff she was pretty sure I would like.

I shudder to think of what my impression of anime would have been if NGE was my first real exposure. It's tempting to want to use your favorite shows, but better to try and use something that they're more likely to enjoy. ^^[/QUOTE]
[font=comic sans ms]Same here. One thing I truly hate is seeing people suggest NGE to people simply because it "defines" anime, and yet it's completely different from that persons taste. I can understand if they wanted to try out new genres or something, but good grief... My exposure to NGE was pretty much a disaster. No warning about the characters, depression, or psychological trips. Just a straight up "Aw you will enjoy this".... right... >_<

I know when suggesting anime to people, I try very little as possible to suggest my favorites especially since they're all on the action side... XD (I'm a mindless brute with a soft side for animals :D)[/font]

i tend to start people off with death note, something simple then i move onto things like higurashi (if they like horror) and .hack//sign (or roots, prefreably roots). But its better if you have a curious pal (like i do) and she just went into my room, picked up a manga book (i think it was either +anima or naruto) and just read it and said to me she wanted to watch the tv show too XD
But i recomend:
Death Note or +Anima (even though anima is only a book) for starters thenhigurashi or .hack after :)

• 1 month later...
Naruto, Fruit Basket, and any Gundam seem to work pretty well for me. I introduced my sister to anime with I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs, so it could differ from person to person. Peach Girl and Boys Over Flowers are good ones for girls who like TV dramas

People are stubborn here, they don't even try to understand anime. In the best of cases, they'll say "look, I see that anime has lots of great stuff, but it's just not my thing". Nearly all my friends are like that. I find that an introduction to anime is possible when the person has already seen and liked at least one series.

2Magus, that was the same for me. I believe NGE was my first anime. Even my experienced otaku friend told me he was surprised I wasn't disgusted for eternity... NGE is something I wouldn't ever recommend to someone to introduce them.

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]If I had to introduce someone to Anime, considering the level of closed-mindedness around here, and my personal experience[/SIZE][/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]with showing people what I think is cool, I would have to choose either [B]Trigun[/B], or [B]Cowboy Bebop[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]. The reason is simple, people around here are more into guns, and futuristic stuff, and don't really get into swords, and energy, chakra, or[/SIZE][/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]any kind of powers like that.[/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]It's hard to change peoples tastes though, unless they are willing to change, or have an open mind.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
When i was younger a friend of mine forced me into the manga/anime world and I got obsessed. When i changed schools late on, no one there even knew what it was, so I tried to get some of the girls into it. I tried to figure out what each person was most interested in, like if they were fond of comedy, action, horror, romance, etc. It turns out, they are fond of cute anime guys. Go figure xD It was really easy after that and really fun too.