OtakuBoards

Why was The Complaint shut down?

Botar

The Complaint was given no time to flourish. I believe my thread was bullied by senior members and Moderators. With 3 different people pointing out the same flaws and Desbreko going off topic with the pancake bunny. Then, when Flyvapnet gave a reasonable complaint which has happened to him in the anime forum by Kei, it was shot down by 2 other members and James. Also, a certain member made a wrong accusation of how long i've been here, which has been 1 month as a member, but 5 years of hovering over the site daily. This was then followed by a painful shutdown of the thread. I feel that I should be given a good explanation for why this thread, which was originally a genuine thread about complaints people had on the OB, was shut down.

I demand restitution!

Good grief. Stop whining. James's pretty much answered you in the thread itself.

[quote name='James']Anyway, this seems to be the only legitimate complaint in this thread. Botar, I'm not really sure what the purpose is here... it almost seems like a joke thread or something. Rather than just having a catch-all thread where people whine about the state of things, I'd rather see people raise specific issues in their own threads where possible. It just makes things a lot easier to track and resolve.[/quote]

[quote name='botar15'] Then, when Flyvapnet gave a reasonable complaint which has happened to him in the anime forum by Kei, it was shot down by 2 other members and James.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]The "shutting down" of the complaint was just as reasonable as the complaint itself. Perhaps even moreso.

Or would you prefer that complaints not have a democratic response? The site should just roll over and accept any and all demands?

[quote]Also, a certain member made a wrong accusation of how long i've been here, which has been 1 month as a member, but 5 years of hovering over the site daily.[/quote]

Really? You're complaining about that?

Not only is it irrelevant, but it's impossible to know how long or even if you were lurking before you actually registered. [/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]There's no inch to be given, because there's no inch that was taken.

[quote]I feel that I should be given a good explanation for why this thread, which was originally a genuine thread about complaints people had on the OB, was shut down.[/quote]

This is my personal opinion, but moderators shouldn't really have to explain their actions of why a thread was shutdown beyond what they say in a thread. You were given the Terms of Service when you signed up, which you agreed to. We have Forum Rules, which you agreed to follow. So if the thread gets shut down and the Moderator/Administrator explains why, then that's why. End of story.

To address Flyvapnet's "complaint", in my personal experience with moderators on OB (before I became one), they have been very helpful and awfully relaxed in their enforcement of policies as opposed to when I first joined the forums. So to say they are dismissive and don't do anything but throw their mod weight around is unfair.[/FONT]

I'm still think that all this is still just a big joke. If The Complaint thread was serious then all need to be done was answer Indi questions in the beginning. Instead it sound more of joke whenever someone tired to help all the answered is
[quote]You're complaint is duely noted[/quote]The only real complaint was address by both Allamorph and James.

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems all to be a joke.

[quote name='Cat']Maybe I'm missing something but this seems all to be a joke.[/QUOTE][size=1]You should know better by now. The joke is that this is what people [i]really feel like they need to post[/i] on OB.

-Shy[/size]

[quote]You should know better by now. The joke is that this is what people [I]really feel like they need to post[/I] on OB.[SIZE=1] -Shy[/SIZE][/quote]True true, I sometimes forget this fact when I'm not around so often.

I just want to drop this. I realize that I did something wrong, and that doing something wrong equals mass attention by everyone, so I am genuinely sorry for what I did, and now lets let bygons be bygons.

I think Botar's whole thing behind this was he wanted mods to be more specific when a thread gets shut down, and not just refer to the rules.

In the mods defense it is asked that you read the rules before posting, so shutting down a thread and referencing the rules is really all that [I]needs[/I] done.

On the other hand, the rules can be tough to interpret (not talking about OB rules, I haven't read them since I started so I just know what to do I guess.) So if a person gets something like "I'm shutting this down because if violates the rules of the forum" the person may feel like they're being shorted. Or they may not read the rules the "right" way, and not know which one(s) they violated.

I think that all mods here do a great job, and I don't have a complaint myself. But I can see where he is coming from if that happened to him. So I would have to say, if he or anybody else feels cheated that PMing the mod would be the best way to go. I'm sure that any of them, even if it's not their thread, will be willing to help.

And if not James will most likely slap them around until they do.

Just my two cents...

[quote name='botar15']I just want to drop this. I realize that I did something wrong....[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]No you didn't. You did something dumb. :p

I think all mishaps like this could be avoided in the future by reading posts the whole way through and less prejudice on rankings. Around here, 'senior member' only indicates a member has posted a certain amount, and really nothing more.

Except in [COLOR="DarkRed"]Nerdsy[/COLOR]'s case. He had to balance upside down on one hand over an open can of green paint while drinking a Big Gulp in his other hand and juggling two cantaloupes, two honeydew melons and a coconut with his feet.[/FONT]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I think Botar's whole thing behind this was he wanted mods to be more specific when a thread gets shut down, and not just refer to the rules.

In the mods defense it is asked that you read the rules before posting, so shutting down a thread and referencing the rules is really all that [I]needs[/I] done.

On the other hand, the rules can be tough to interpret (not talking about OB rules, I haven't read them since I started so I just know what to do I guess.) So if a person gets something like "I'm shutting this down because if violates the rules of the forum" the person may feel like they're being shorted. Or they may not read the rules the "right" way, and not know which one(s) they violated.

I think that all mods here do a great job, and I don't have a complaint myself. But I can see where he is coming from if that happened to him. So I would have to say, if he or anybody else feels cheated that PMing the mod would be the best way to go. I'm sure that any of them, even if it's not their thread, will be willing to help.

And if not James will most likely slap them around until they do.

Just my two cents...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Drizzt, finally some help around here. You guys seriously need to get off my balls ok?

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Except in [COLOR="DarkRed"]Nerdsy[/COLOR]'s case. He had to balance upside down on one hand over an open can of green paint while drinking a Big Gulp in his other hand and juggling two cantaloupes, two honeydew melons and a coconut with his feet.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Lucky I figured out the joke in time. Korey kept telling me I had to spend a half hour in a closet with Digital Boy for the title.

EDIT:

[quote name='botar15']Thanks Drizzt, finally some help around here. You guys seriously need to get off my balls ok?[/QUOTE]

Don't trip, bro. This is just how we show affection. You should see the way they treat me in Chat sometimes.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]And with that I'm just going to remind you of what James said botar15:[quote]Rather than just having a catch-all thread where people whine about the state of things, I'd rather see people raise specific issues in their own threads where possible. It just makes things a lot easier to track and resolve.[/quote]We don't need a catch all thread, this [I]entire section[/I] serves that purpose; and the idea is to post a thread for a specific issue or suggestion so it can get the due consideration it deserves. That way it doesn't get buried or lost in a catch all thread with other suggestions or concerns.

And since your question was now answered [I]twice[/I], I think this thread has served it's purpose.

[B]Thread Closed.[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]