Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Theres a genera of music, its called Ska. Ska could be classified as Jazz, Calypso, Reggai and Punk all mixed together into one super genera. If you've heard, post you're favorite band, concert, CD, song, what ever it may be, as long as its Ska related. Also if you want to learn more or find some new bands, just drop a post.
Posted
I'm just wondering which time period you are thinking of? Ska has different sound depending on the date. For example ska in the early 60's sounds different then ska in the late 70's early 80's. If its 60's ska then I personally like the Skatalites.
[youtube=Simmer Down]O9HyXc4e7Qc[/youtube]
[youtube=Silver Dollar]IvQF-uInivw[/youtube]

If we are talking about later ska then The Specials are my favorite.
[youtube=A Message To You Rudy]TGDQ85Dg-ss[/youtube]
[youtube=Too Much, Young]nxHcx7FO8nI[/youtube]

Some other groups to mention are The Clarendonians for early ska. They fall more into Rocksteady though and Madness also started off as a ska band.
Posted
The Saktalites are a great example of older ska, I personaly like Skaravan by Skatalites. I like the third wave of ska the best though, like Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and The Kids Table, Aqua Bats, Less Than Jake, Catch 22, B.O.T.A.R, (Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution, also my user name.) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mustard Plug, Bomb The Music Industry, The Arrogant Sons Of *******, and so on, so forth, I like the punk influence in ska, but to come full circle, the Skatalites are still a good band.
Posted
I to like the punk bit of influences though I tend lean towards the older Jazz and Doo-Wop types of Ska. I look at if you don't listen at least a little bit of the older bands in the genre, you don't really know about the music and how it change to become the music you like.
Posted
[size=1]The Specials all the way. "You've done too much, much too young," was a silly catchphrase in my group of friends for a good few years which came about after a funny story for another time.

I don't really listen to older Ska, mostly the punk influenced kind, for obvious reasons, lol. But definitely the Specials are my favourite.[/size]
Posted
So, Has anyone heard of Streetlights new album coming out? Its called 99 Nights Of Revolution. It's actually a Streetlight, BOTAR, Catch 22, and other Kalnoky projects album, it's going to be pretty awesome if you ask me.
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
I love the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and I think I remember liking Mustard Plug. I never delved too deep into ska, though.

Mad Caddies seems to be a familiar name in my head.
Posted (edited)
I really love these guys: Ska on a train with pocky. Doesn't get any better than this.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBKIx3uoIYM [/media] Edited by Japan
Posted
[quote name='Japan_86']I really love these guys: Ska on a train with pocky. Doesn't get any better than this.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]Enough is [i]enough![/i]

I've had it with these mother ****ing skanks on this mother ****ing train!


'Skanks on a Train'. Coming to theatres this Fall.[/size]
Posted
[COLOR="DarkGreen"] I wish I could see the video, but the boards might of been hacked and all the videos play, Eminem: 3am. It sucks![/COLOR]
  • 2 years later...
Posted
My brother is Botar, and I'm on his tread! He showed me ska and next to Dragonball Z it was the most life changing thing that has ever happend to me.( He doesn't get on Otaku Boards anymore)
Posted
I thought you got wiped in the OB update...

Oh, yes... Ska. I have been in a Ska band before... the good thing is that the chords are really easy and almost never change. The bad news is that there are a few uncommon instruments that define the sound. I have never really gotten into brass instruments, mostly because they are pretty difficult to start playing since most of what comes out sounds like a dying buffalo. I also have a few select songs on my computer... mostly remakes of old songs. I like Real Big Fish generally... but I can't say I consistently listen to them.
Posted (edited)
[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1324516142' post='710703']
I thought you got wiped in the OB update...

Oh, yes... Ska. I have been in a Ska band before... the good thing is that the chords are really easy and almost never change. The bad news is that there are a few uncommon instruments that define the sound. I have never really gotten into brass instruments, mostly because they are pretty difficult to start playing since most of what comes out sounds like a dying buffalo. I also have a few select songs on my computer... mostly remakes of old songs. I like Real Big Fish generally... but I can't say I consistently listen to them.
[/quote]

that isn't nice! I play trumpet and I don't sound like a dying buffalo!!!!!!!!:grr:
but reel big fish is quite nice and so is streetlight manifesto Edited by Vegeta1999
Posted
I meant when you first start learning how to play. As for the trumpet I can barely even make a sound... and when I do, it is hideous.
Posted
[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1324647596' post='710717']
I meant when you first start learning how to play. As for the trumpet I can barely even make a sound... and when I do, it is hideous.
[/quote]

Aww it's ok . After playing for 6 months like me than it's easy , I'm going to start learning ska soon!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...