OtakuBoards

What would the OtakuBoards flag look like?

Sara

[size=1]I thought this could be fun. Sort of a neat way to think about what's important to a community, and what it should have representing it.

If OB had a flag (or coat of arms), what would it look like? What colors would it use? What shape should it be? Are there any historical figures or events that should be depicted? What should the design look like, and what kind of symbolism should it have?

Some related links:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldry]Heraldry[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_the_field]Variation of the field[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms]Coat of arms[/url]
[url=http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/]Coat of arms designer (take a while to load, but kind of fun!)[/url]
[url=http://www.flags.net/UNST01.htm]Flags of the fifty states of the USA[/url]

Just trying out the Coat of Arms designer, I made the image attached below.

It doesn't have a lot of symbolism yet, but I wanted to use "classic" OtakuBoards colors for the background. Owls are "wise," and I think that no matter your opinion on the strictness of the rules here (whether or not people consider the rules too strict or not seems to change every time I'm around), high-quality posting is a hallmark of our little corner of the internet.

Also, the owl is hot pink because of Nerdsy.

So what can you come up with?[/size]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Will do.

That, but blue. And the flames on the side would probably be replaced with leeks for little to no reason.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]=O Definately leeks. Just cause.[/size]

[color=#9933cc]I don't have any definite drawings, just a few ideas. The color scheme should definitely include grey, and some shade of blue, since almost all of the versions of OB (excluding skin choices) have been this color scheme. Sometimes it was dark blue/purple (v3 was this color), a navy blue (v5/6?), or the light blue we have now.

I like the idea of sticking an owl on there for wisdom, as well. This is the place I come to when I feel like everyone else on the internet and IRL is completely stupid.

A symbol of nerdliness might be appropriate, since (most of us) are here because we like video games/computers/anime/manga, which are all very specific hobbies.

Um... that's it. I'm terrible with graphic design so I haven't got any visual ideas. That's just my two cents. ^^[/color]

[B]Coat of arms:[/B] When I thought about where OB's identity came from, my mind kept coming back to how incredibly close, enduring, and storied the friendships made on here have been, in comparison to pretty much anywhere else on the internet that I've yet seen. The coat of arms symbolizes the things that have had a large part in facilitating those friendships: AIM (both through individual conversations and, perhaps as importantly, huge group chats), threads on the Boards, and the most important element that lays the foundation for most of our interactions, glacial walls of text. I wanted to put myO in there for the important role it played before (still?), but I couldn't figure out how to symbolize it.

[B]Flag:[/B] You know this to be true.

[quote name='John'][B]Flag:[/B] You know this to be true.[/QUOTE][size=1]I love this. Hahaha. (Related: can we not post images that are uploaded as attachments? Or did I suddenly just become terrible at BB code?)

Also, I don't get the leek thing. Is this from a show?[/size]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][center][YOUTUBE="&nyaaaaaaa"]1wnE4vF9CQ4&nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[/YOUTUBE][/center][/QUOTE][size=1]Okay, I guess I've seen that.

But it's more of an "internet" thing than an "OtakuBoards" thing, isn't it?[/size]

[quote name='Sara'][size=1]Okay, I guess I've seen that.

But it's more of an "internet" thing than an "OtakuBoards" thing, isn't it?[/size][/QUOTE]

Because Miku fought with a leek when she was edited into that one Matrix video thing that Des posted.:catgirl: See "The Funtime Thread of Really Long Titles...." Ha, tricked you. There is no link there.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Amazed that no other oldie has mentioned this but surely any flag of OB would have to feature Otakubot.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]Isn't he . . . dead?

Maybe we should put up a statue or something.[/size]

[quote name='James'][FONT=franklin gothic medium]Well, we're already talking about leeks. Why not alligators?[/FONT][/quote] Well alright then!

(This post would be a lot funnier with less than 25 characters, but obviously I was missing some post quality until I added this statement.)