OtakuBoards

The Pet Thread

Nony

I did a search for a topic like this and didn't find one. But if there was one that I missed, then forgive me. >>

Anyway, pets! Ya got 'em? Ya had 'em? Ya love 'em? Ya hate 'em? Share with us OB peeps anything about these little critters. (Pictures are encouraged too, if you have them.)

Right now, I have a dog and a cat at home. They're both about nine years old now, although Nick (the dog) still acts like a puppy on a daily basis. Our cat Max used to be an indoors cat, but he peed on various things one too many times so now he lives out back.
I love both of them though, and I have to admit that I have a higher affinity for cats than dogs. This is probably due to the fact that, before Nick came along, I had only ever had cats for pets. It also just fits into my personality, I think; cats are there to love and cuddle when you want, but they're independent enough that they won't bother you every second of the day. You can both just go on and do your own thing.

Finally, [URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Monkey-chan/DSCN5697.jpg][b]here's a picture of Nick[/b][/url]; it's not a very good one, but it's the only one I have on my computer right now. None of Max at the moment, although I'll remedy that later.

And now it's time for the rest of you to share with the boards. If'n ya please. :3

Okay, I have a delightful Pembroke Welsh Corgi! He's about 1.5 years old and his name is Tucker! He has the coloring of a Cardigan Corgi and I think he may have some mixed in him because his enormous ears have yet to come up, but I don't care anymore! Besides, I think he has more character with button ears!:catgirl: All of my pictures of him are taken on my digital camera and apparently exceed OB's attachment sizes... That is why I have hauled my laptop downstairs in order to take pictures of him with my webcam!

Oh, and my sister has a snooty little kitty named Maggie. She's down there too...

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]I miss my maltese poodle. Well behaved and playful, but my mom sold him for the money she needed at the time. We had a small breed dog afterward a little later, but it was too much of a pain to house break, so it also got sold:animedepr.

...I'm buying my own pets when I get the chance.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933cc]When I was born, I had a cat that was older than me by a year or two. She was a Maine Coon, and grey, so we called her "Smokey." Apparently one of my sister's teachers had a cat who had kittens, or something, and that's how we got the cat.

She was really adorable, but very, very lazy. And... well, perhaps not fat, but very fluffy, with all of her long fur. She liked my mom the most (probably because my mom fed her), but my mom's actually allergic to cats. She died when I was 13 (she was having surgery, woke up from it, and promptly had a heart attack).

Now we have a dog, a Shih-Tzu that may have some Bichon Frise in him. He's a little pudgy, but oh so adorable! He only has one eye, though. The other one collapsed at birth or something. He's mostly white with a few light brown spots, and his name is Snuffy - short for Snuffalupagus. ^^[/color]

I've went through a number of pets in my years, the most notable would have been my boxer. She wouldn't be allowed on the furniture, but when you sat down she'd lay her head in your lap and slowly inch her way up. Sometimes she'd take a full 5 minutes to get there but she'd do so unnoticed...unless of course you were the person the 70lb dog was climbing on. Yes a 70lb lap dog...

Currently I don't have any cats, but my sisters cat that my dad had for 14 years died recentally.

I do have a chihuaua(sp) that I got from my sister when she had her second baby and he got jealous and mean. Though I don't care for him very much. I've had him for 4 years and yet he still won't come when he's called. I have to let him outside and keep him on a retractable leash so I can drag him in before he eats our neighbor.

Yes I said eats the neighbor and not bites the neighbor.

We had different cats and dogs when I was growing up. But the one I remember the most was a little Schipperke. Mainly because he was problem solving smart and literally got into everything. So he was rather entertaining while we had him. Now I'm in an apartment that doesn't allow pets so I don't have any at the moment.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I think anyone who knows me, knows I have pets. Namely my dog Aaryanna. I always use pictures of her for my avi and banner here at OtakuBoards. She's a Bichon Frise. They're very affectionate lap dogs. Mine is pretty spoiled though. She's used to getting lots of attention all the time. Hehe.

We also have a mixed Siamese cat named Alexander. He's really dumb though. He has a thing for chewing on power cords and stuff. It's a wonder he hasn't managed to kill himself yet. XD[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have a2 year old Golden Retriever named Cookie, poor guy, we did not name him. Woman that bought and returned him to the breeder named him that, she gave him back cause he's so big! So we turned it into Cookie Monster, but we just call him Cook. He's my puppy, when my husband isn't around...lol.
I also have two cats, Meril and Jade, Meril is a ragdoll maincoon mix, she's really pretty, Jade is a grey tabby, also pretty but we just got her a few months back so she's still int he kitten stage. Meril is also mine while my husband is away, Jade just likes to keep to her self.
My kids have a black gerbil names Knuckles(not after me or my husband) His knuckles are white so that's where the name came from.
And last but not least my husband has a 3 foot ball python, he's about 2 years old. He's my husbands through and through, not that I mind him, he just likes Knuckles better than me.
And that's it, unless kids count and I have 3 of them, a drama king(my first) a mini-fridge with legs(my second, he's a monster) and my last and latest addition to the gang, my little girl. But I don't think they count, though they make as much of a mess as pets. lol.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Ok, my house is a zoo. I have one pet of my own. She's a cat and her name is Kirara. She's petite and very fluffy. When she wakes up, she's very peeky-eyed.
My sister has a cat named Blue, for her marvelous eyes. Blue was neglected by her former owner, so she tends to growl when picked up. My brother has a rat (ew!) named Coco. It's gray. My mom has a cat and two dogs. Her cat's name is Precious. She picked her own name. She's a bit of a fattie. She hides alot and is scared easily, due to being abused by her previous owner. She's very sweet once you gain her trust. Merri is the older dog, 1/4 German Shepard and 3/4 Saint Bernard. She's a very sweet lady. Next is the ginormous Great Pyrenees puppy, Marty. He's very cuddly, but he gets into things and has a knack for laying down in the middle of the floor. We also have the family pet. She's a guinea pig. Her name is Mrs. Gingerbread Santa Claus. We got her kinda close to Christmas, hence the seasonal name.
My favorite pet is a cat. I love dogs, too, don't get me wrong, but I love cats more. I just seem to bond with them better, I guess.

EDIT: 1st pic is Kirara, next is Blue, then Merri, and Marty's the last one.

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have none of my own pets (and prefer to keep it that way), but there's a bunch in the house. There's 7 cats and 2 dogs. Actually, I think one of the cats may be a small panther, but that's beside the point. One dog is a basset hound (Dru), and the other is part chihuahua and part Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Roody). They're both very cute, though I have a marked preference for Roody, although Dru is far more fun to play tug-of-war with, especially on the tile floors that I can drag him around on.

The cats amuse me. Tamlyn is, I believe, the oldest of the cats, and also the largest, by a pretty significant margin. He's like 20 lbs. He's also an attention-whore, which is known to drive me up a wall. Tamlyn is pure jet-black, which is kinda cool. My favorite cat is Hoban Wash (named for the character in Firefly). He's just insanely cute and loveable, but apparently at some point in the past he and Tamlyn got in a fight, and now he goes running and hiding whenever Tamlyn gets near him. And he was actually named that b/c he likes to play w/ my stepbrother's dinosaur toys.

We also have Dot, who is really tiny and adorable, though kinda chubby. One of her favorite things to do is to walk up to you, bump you a few times with her head, and then flop over, belly up. It's just painfully cute, and you have to pet her.

We actually have two cats that are sisters, Meg and Tys (both short for other names I don't remember right now). Tys HATES Meg, and we don't know why. But Tys was the runt of her litter, so we think there may be some underlying thing with that. Tys is pretty easily scared. She doesn't want to be near anyone unless she's decided she's in a mood to get petted. But she follows Tamlyn around like an extension of his tail. Meg is just LOUD. She loves to meow for no apparent reason, and her and Tamlyn are the only cats I've ever dealt with that will sit at your feet and meow for attention instead of rubbing up against you or something like that.

The last two are Tarma and Laslac (spellings may be off). Tarma is the single most cuddle-prone cat I've ever seen. She loves to get on the back of the couch so she can rub faces with you, and if I'm stretched out on the furniture, I am a bed by default. The funniest thing with her is that she apparently doesn't like people to know she plays with the cat toys. The second she realizes people can see her, she stops dead and walks away as though she wasn't doing anything at all. Laslac is the definition of a scaredy-cat. When my fiance and I first moved down here, he didn't come out from under my parents' bed for like the first month and a half. And he hdies on top of the kitchen cabinets when other people are in the house. My favorite thing about him is that he's learned to open the cabinets, and has been known to close them on the other cats, which I just can't help but find quite amusing.

We also have a bunch of fish, but fish bore me.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

So I'm noticing some people own (or know) corgis. I find corgis are adorable and I would love to get one someday. I have a question though for those who've had one before: do they make good pets? Or, is there anything I should know about 'em beforehand? Just curious if there's any advice you could give me.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']So I'm noticing some people own (or know) corgis. I find corgis are adorable and I would love to get one someday. I have a question though for those who've had one before: do they make good pets? Or, is there anything I should know about 'em beforehand? Just curious if there's any advice you could give me.[/QUOTE]

Corgis are the smallest dog accepted in the 'guard dog' category by the AKC (American Kennel Club). Now, to really understand this, we need to look at two things. Watch dogs and guard dogs. Watch dogs are dogs that will alert you to an intruder or another danger via barking and whatnot, but will not actually do much to get rid of the threat. That is the category most small dogs are put in. Guard dogs, on the other hand, will actually DO something about the threat as well as alert you. That means that if a robber breaks into your house, the corgi will bite the hell out of him. And don't let their small size fool you, corgis WILL GET AIRBORN. They will JUMP in order to better harm their foes and protect their home and loved ones. I recommend corgis fully and completely!

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Tahoma"]Because like the children's book: Curious George, my cat is forever getting into trouble since he has to poke his nose in everything. XD He's like 10 curious cats all in one. So I named him George after that book since it fits him so well.[/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']That means that if a robber breaks into your house, the corgi will bite the hell out of him. And don't let their small size fool you, corgis WILL GET AIRBORN. They will JUMP in order to better harm their foes and protect their home and loved ones. I recommend corgis fully and completely![/QUOTE]
Hehehe, very nice. Reminds me of when I used to watch [i]It Takes a Thief[/i]; all the time people thought, "Oh the dog will do something". Guess how that ended? XP

Okay then! If I have control over the next dog I own, I will get a corgi.
But I won't be geeky and name it Ein... probably.