OtakuBoards

Mom Arrested for Breast-Feeding Drunk

Rachmaninoff

Yes I know the link is FoxNews, lets overlook that bit shall we? > >

[URL="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530355,00.html"][U]Mom Arrested for Breast-Feeding Drunk Sets Off Heated Debate[/U][/URL]

Basically, it's just what the title says. The woman got arrested for breast feeding her baby while she was drunk. I don't know a lot about what's considered acceptable, but somehow, one would think that alcohol would be something mothers would avoid while nursing. But apparently not.

What I'm wondering though is if in moderation, should something like that be an issue? I always understood, from my mom, that in moderation, most things are fine. Personally, I think doing that is just stupid, regardless if it's just one glass of wine or one beer.

What do you guys think?

[quote]"Since when is breast-feeding while drunk a crime?"[/quote]
This is pretty much my sentiment. Now, I don't think someone should breast-feed while they're drunk, just because it's better to be safe than sorry. But... come on! She could face up to five years in prison for that? That sounds just a tad off the ridiculous end to me.
Although there was also this quip:

[quote]Authorities insist the woman's decision to breast-feed was not the only factor in her arrest.[/quote]
Makes me wonder what else it was that made them arrest her then, since it seems in the end she was charged with child neglect which would fit in with the main controversy here.

I'm sure, especially since it's fox news and their tendency to leave out important details, that there was more to the story.

Of course can't just assume that so I guess I need to know this, and maybe somebody from the medical field can answer this.

Can an abundant intake of alcohol cause it to enter the babies milk? I know mammory(sp) glands produce milk, but I'm not sure if the body would filter it or not. I know it doesn't when it comes to the babies nutrients in the womb, but that's a little different.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I'm sure, especially since it's fox news and their tendency to leave out important details, that there was more to the story.

Of course can't just assume that so I guess I need to know this, and maybe somebody from the medical field can answer this.

Can an abundant intake of alcohol cause it to enter the babies milk? I know mammory(sp) glands produce milk, but I'm not sure if the body would filter it or not. I know it doesn't when it comes to the babies nutrients in the womb, but that's a little different.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I'm wondering the same exact thing.

[I]"So what did you have last night Tommy?"
"Oh breast milk with a wine cooler, what abut you Chuckie?"[/I]

That's how I imagine breast feeding the Rugrats with intoxicating breastmilk.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As a mother of three and breast feeding all of them, it is true that after a certain amount that it can enter the breast milk, a small glass of wine, or maybe a light beer isn't enough but if your considerably drunk that yes, it can affect the baby. So yeah I think it's a little messed up that a mother would do that to her child. It could have almost the same effects as if the baby were in the womb. That's the reason they tell mothers not to drink and breast feed or drink while their pregnant. Like I said I personally agree with the act but that's just me as a mother I suppose.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well in that case then I totally agree she should be in trouble of some sort. You can't tell people anything for some reason. For example my Sister in law is a one person smoke shack, and in Ohio you aren't allowed to smoke with minors in the car, but yet she smokes while her 2 year old son is in the car.

I could rant on here literally for hours...well until the max char limit at least, about how idiotic people can be in regards to their own children but I'll let it go.

Now do I agree this lady should be jailed for 5 years for this? No I don't but I do believe she should have to take strict parenting classes, be on house arrest to ensure she doesn't go out and party, and be forcefed alchihol until she pukes over and over again.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Well I think doing that is rather stupid, but I also hope there is more to it than that. I would assume there is since the punishment seems out of proportion for what she did.

Now I want to know what the other factors are.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Upon reading the headline I immediately envisioned this woman who breast-fed a guy who had staggered in from a bar, completely smashed.

This is why leaving out those little tiny words called "articles" is bad sometimes. "breast-feeding [while] drunk" and "breast-feeding [a] drunk" are too close together.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]o_O I can understand them being concerned, but it sounds like they're being way to strict for something like that. It would help if they would explain the other reasons that lead to her being arrested. As it is now, it doesn't really add up.

In general though, I can't imagine that breast feeding your kids when you're drunk, is a good idea. Probably fine for small amounts of alcohol, but otherwise I would definitely say, bad idea.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I support breast feeding but not while under the influence. Most everything a mother ingests is passed on to the child through breast milk, so if the mom eats mostly fatty foods, she'll end up with a baby that looks like the Pillsbury dough boy. If the mom boozes like a sailor, her baby will probably end up with severe damage to the internal organs before it can say 'Please don't drink and breast feed mommy.'

Five years in prison? No.

Parenting classes? ....If she's dumb enough to breast feed while intoxicated, is she smart enough to comprehend parenting class lectures/reading material/etc?

IQ test before having children? Yes.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]IQ test before having children? Yes.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Oh gosh, I can kind of agree with that. XD As much as I hate to sound mean, sometimes I wonder about people who have kids. Though having a good IQ doesn't mean they'll have common sense. o_O [/FONT]