OtakuBoards

Is it just me??

Xyandar

[SIZE=1]Okay...I definately had to add my two cents into this conversation. Since I'm so famous here and fabulous and as a former moderator (for those who remember the little PC/Mac lounge R.I.P as Peanut) I have come to many conclusions why there is decreased activity and why many older members, such as myself, have felt the need to move on.

Real Life. Yes, stupid thing it is, but alot of people actually got a gf/bf and have been either sucking face, doing their homework for the first time, or are off having a life. Ew....disgusting right? Trust me I know. Since that's not me I've come to many other conclusions....

I hate to say this (and I'll probably get banned by james owch) but I guess...I have to admit alot of quality intelligent members left in like a span of time? When good people go, its sad :animecry: because they brought alot of good things to the community. I don't think it's like it use to be. I remember they old'e days when EVERYONE talked on AIM with eachother...mods and members were friends who talked everyday. It felt like an OB family, u could post a "request a banner" thread and you would have atleast 3 people helping you like Ezekiel, Retribution, Revelation....alot of them.

And really intelligent, witty posts in the Otaku Lounge. I mean things that you would actually have to think about before posting rather then what did you eat for your thanksgiving dinner? Or what kind of dress do I wear to prom? The people that created those threads were amazing and it's hard to replace people with such spunk. I remember when it was almost like a club to where, we accepted new members but the good thing about OB was that, you earned your own reputation and you became a moderator not because how long you've been on there, but how much you participated. I think rewards/awards really brought a sense of community out of OB, so I miss those days.

Not saying this COULD not happen again, but I think there would have to be some big changes, and the right people to pull it along. I mean I think Shy and White did good as an event leader, the nifty fiftys were REALLY popular (and i think i made it in one...hehe as an "old mod" that of course was fabulous) People were always coming up with new ideas, creating new ways to make OB awesome to where you can log on. I haven't checked out the otaku..my otaku..or otaku world to be honest with you so thats where maybe everyone went?

All I know is somehow I feel lack of quality...even in the Adventure Square. I remember when I use to look for certain people's threads and sign up for the RP, and they would really put effort into it, I mean graffics, music, the works. It looked really pretty, and the content was good too so of course signing up for an RP like that was fun.

If I could have a wish...I'd have everyone who use to be a moderator..AND a bunch of old members came back. Not trying to say any new members aren't worthy, but I definately know they put alot of creativity and thought into OB. It was like my little haven when I was in highschool..and now I'm 22. It would be cool to have it go back close to what it was....

OOOhhh....and James? One thing....get a new skin already!! lol no offense but I feel like this layout has been here for ages! I think if OB was remodeled again...and like REALLY done over...it would bring about a new OB. Just a suggestion...Just a suggestion....Ahem....[/size]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Pumpkin][SIZE=1']OOOhhh....and James? One thing....get a new skin already!! lol no offense but I feel like this layout has been here for ages! I think if OB was remodeled again...and like REALLY done over...it would bring about a new OB. Just a suggestion...Just a suggestion....Ahem....[/size][/quote]Do you mean besides the Indigo and pink horror known as Caramelldansen? :p[/FONT]

[quote name='Pumpkin'][SIZE=1]
I hate to say this (and I'll probably get banned by james owch) but I guess...I have to admit alot of quality intelligent members left in like a span of time? [/size][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]I can't believe people still think that James will ban them for discussing the site.[/font]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I dunno. This site always goes through ups and downs in terms of activity. At the beginning of the year there was a larger push for new members, and we actually ended up with some good ones. Part of it obviously is that our member base is aging, so the same 16 year-old kids who had nothing but free time to post about Digimon (for example) are now 25, with jobs, relationships, school, and who-knows-what-else. I know I'll be hitting ten years of OB in April... yikes.

This site has always been a bit of a contradiction anyway, since we're an anime message boards that is largely occupied by people who don't care much about anime. I know what continues to drive me to the site are the RPGs, and that's pretty much been the case for the past five years. I do agree that there's more we could do to encourage activity, whether that be bringing in new members or merely encouraging old ones to post again.

I'm game for anything Sara suggests. Go figure.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said, Shy. I remember being one of those people who used to talk about Digimon all the time, and back then my username was Nefertimon as well. Now I have no job and no relationship, though, and not a lot of homework in school, so I stop by here quite often. Sadly, not much seems to be going on, so I don't know what to post.

So I think the best way to make these boards better is for people to post more interesting threads... remember all those separate anime forums we used to have, for example? And all the fun fantasy RPG's? Like Shy, I'm driven to the site by the RPG's, but because the activity in that forum has significantly decreased recently, I can't join that many RPG's here.

Gee, this also makes me regret being part of the "community" Pumpkin mentioned. Back when there was a community, I was a stupid n00b who got kicked out of RPG's and such. Now... well, I don't know what to say... except I wish there was something I could to to help OB out... *starts to think*

[quote name='Imp']Now... well, I don't know what to say... except I wish there was something I could to to help OB out... *starts to think*[/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Start a thread. Open an RPG. Invite a friend.

It's not hard. =][/font]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Do you mean besides the Indigo and pink horror known as Caramelldansen? :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Haha, good point.

Actually Des and I are working on some changes that will freshen up the site quite a bit. It won't involve any fundamental re-working of things, but it will make quite a big difference. I'm afraid that's the best we can do at the moment.

And no, Pumpkin, you won't get banned simply for saying what you think. That's never been the case.

I just want everybody to enjoy the service here and to make use of it. If you make it your own by being creative and using it to its full potential, that in turn will keep the site vibrant and alive. Just remember that the service is here for you - use it or don't use it. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Haha, good point.

Actually Des and I are working on some changes that will freshen up the site quite a bit. It won't involve any fundamental re-working of things, but it will make quite a big difference. I'm afraid that's the best we can do at the moment.:[/font][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Can you make it so that links are differentiated (without needing to mouseover) from normal text on the OB Classic skin? Because in my browser, at least, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example]you can't tell whether or not something is a link.[/url][/font]

[quote name='Sara'][font=helvetica]Can you make it so that links are differentiated (without needing to mouseover) from normal text on the OB Classic skin? Because in my browser, at least, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example]you can't tell whether or not something is a link.[/url][/font][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yup, I will have a look and see if I can just edit that in the regular vB settings (I think it can be done there). :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Yup, I will have a look and see if I can just edit that in the regular vB settings (I think it can be done there). :catgirl:[/font][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Excellent! Thank you, James.[/font]

[quote name='Sara'][font=helvetica]Excellent! Thank you, James.[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Hrm, when I try to edit this setting, the system includes everything else on the page as well - like user names and stuff. Bah. Sorry about that.

vBulletin is getting very old. :animesigh[/font]

[color=#4B0082]I worked a little CSS magic to make link styles in posts editable without affecting the rest of the site. You can see the results with the Caramelldansen skin. The other skins haven't been changed yet since I don't know what James wants to use for them.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I worked a little CSS magic to make link styles in posts editable without affecting the rest of the site. You can see the results with the Caramelldansen skin. The other skins haven't been changed yet since I don't know what James wants to use for them.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Oh, does that mean I can now change them in the styles options? Or is this going to be a manual process for other skins?[/font] :catgirl: