OtakuBoards

Rob Pattinson In HTTYD Sequel?

Elk

So, the actor of the amazingly overrated Twilight Fandom may come to play a character in the Sequel of [i]How To Train Your Dragon[/i].

~~~

Is Robert Pattinson to get animated? It certainly looks that way! The Twilight hunk lunched with Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg June 27, and apparently their meeting was majorly successful!

â??Rob and Jeffrey took a preliminary meeting to discuss Robâ??s availability to be a voice in a few upcoming animated projects,â? an industry insider tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively of the Sunday luncheon in Glendale, Calif. adding, â??Jeffrey also addressed his want for Rob to voice a character in the sequel to How to Train Your Dragon.â?

Adds our source, â??This will not be the last meeting between the two, either. It was very non-formal and relaxed. They were meeting to check out each otherâ??s schedules and â??shoot the shitâ?? â?? pretty much to see if they would get along and potentially work together. Looks like they will be from how well things went!â?

We love it! And we bet Rob does, too. Although his hygiene seems to have improved, voice work means he doesnâ??t have to shower for work if he doesnâ??t want to!

~~~

Honestly, I love this movie. It changed my life and my view of the world (yes, all this from a children's movie, but have you ever read The Little Prince? Children are powerful) and I would not like to see Rob Pattinson brought in.
I can already imagine all of the Twilight Fans flooding into the movies on the day it is released and squealing every time he says a line. I really do not want that. [i]How To Train Your Dragon[/i] is not ment to have that kind of fan-base. It is a children's movie, it is for children. They are not going to care who is in it, and certainly the parents that take them to go see it are not going to be too happy about Pattinson's role in it. That's just my opinion though.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

I know I have a lot.
I'm having a panic attack.

[url="http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/06/29/robert-pattinson-jeffrey-katzenberg-dreamworks-animated-character-eclipse-twilight/"]The Horrible Article That I Hope Is A Lie[/url]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Let me first say that I'm right there with you on absolutely adoring How To Train Your Dragon. It blew my expectations away by 100,000% and it made me an even bigger fan of Jay Baruchel,

Now with that being said...
I don't mind the inclusion of Robert Pattinson's voice. I highly doubt parents will actually care that his voice is in the movie (given that they didn't mind the voice of murderous Leonidas coming out of Hiccup's father) most likely because children won't care either way. Now the Robert Pattinson fans may be an obnoxious bunch, but at least they'll help the movie to make the money it will [i]probably[/i] deserve (don't want to get ahead of myself with that sentiment and regret it later). And actually onto the topic of his voice, I think he has a particularly pleasant one (when he isn't forcing an American accent) so I can get behind that.

Maybe it's because I have a high aptitude for ignoring people that makes it so this doesn't bother me. Alas, I'm going to keep thinking about it as "Cedric Diggory gets a dragon".[/font]

Well at least, if the sequesl is going to try to follow the second book (which personally doesn't really matter to me if they do or don't), he'll probably get cast in as Alvin the Treacherous, which will give me even more reasons to hate, despise, and distrust Alvin.

[font="Book Antiqua"]Fair enough. *thumbs up*

On a somewhat off topic note-- So you've read all the books? Are they worth reading as well? I've been looking for something to read after I finish the Dark Tower series... And a children's series might be a nice reprieve after Steven King novels.[/font]

I haven't read all the books yet. I finished the fifth one yesterday and am off to get the sixth one today. ^^
Personally, I like the second one the best so far.
But yes, I think that they are definately worth reading. They're nice little easy reads and very cute, but still provide an awesome adventure. While you'll see Hiccup is somewhat the same, you'll flip when you see what Toothless is really like.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][color="#9932CC"]"THIS MAN HAS ACTED IN A HIGH-GROSSING, FANGIRL-SQUEE-INDUCING MOVIE THAT I DISLIKE! THAT MEANS HE'S NEVER ALLOWED TO ACT IN ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN!!!!!"

In all seriousness, while I'm by no means a fan of Twilight, nor have I seen How To Train Your Dragon, he can act in whatever he wants. He's proven himself to be an ally to the Twilight haters, going on record several times saying that the story is absolute rubbish, and that he was in it for the money [and to star opposite Kristen Stewart]. So...I don't think it's any big deal. [/color][/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Elk' date='28 July 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1280337900' post='698115']
I can already imagine all of the Twilight Fans flooding into the movies on the day it is released and squealing every time he says a line. I really do not want that. [i]How To Train Your Dragon[/i] is not ment to have that kind of fan-base. It is a children's movie, it is for children. They are not going to care who is in it, and certainly the parents that take them to go see it are not going to be too happy about Pattinson's role in it. That's just my opinion though.
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]By this logic, Craig Ferguson shouldn't have been in the first movie, because that's exactly what I did for every single one of Gobber's lines. And on that note, I've been to see all three [b]Pirates of the Carribbean[/b] movies and the Tim Burton version of [b]Charlie and the Chocolate Factory[/b] in theaters. The fangirls behaved themselves pretty well when Johnny Depp was onscreen, so I have my doubt that this phenomenon you're stressing about actually happens.

As for parental concerns, I really just kind of hate it when people decide to hate on an actor for their past roles. The thing about actors is, a lot like most of us, they enjoy eating, sleeping in a bed and not walking around in public naked. These things are a lot harder to do when you have no money to obtain the materials necessary, so they end up showing up in bad movies. Take Brenden Frasier, for example. This is a good actor who winds up almost exclusively appearing in bad movies. Do I fault him for it? No, because he was Ben Sullivan on [b][Scrubs][/b] and gave one of the best performances of his life there.

And it doesn't even have to be exclusive to "bad" movies. A lot of parents will go crazy about an actor their kids like appearing in something not appropriate for kids. There are several things wrong with this. First of all, the 'adult' movie the actor is in isn't supposed to be seen by your kid anyway, so if they do get 'corrupted' by it, that's on you. Second, Hollywood shouldn't be raising your kids, you should. Sure, they can have role models, but you're still supposed to tell them what is and is not okay. Third, these actors have lives and it's not up to you to dictate what they can or can't do with them. Finally, plenty of 'adult' actors know how to reign it in and behave and are actually very good with children. Jack Black, for example, was in Kung-Fu Panda and has appeared on Sesame Street while simultaneously being the lead singer of one of the dirtiest bands in the country. Heck, George Carlin was the conductor on a couple of seasons of Thomas the Tank Engine. Why were they allowed to do such things? Simple. They didn't swear or make sex jokes. Because they were making kid's material.

Bottom line, I don't care if Pattinson wants to finally appear in a good movie. In fact, I praise him for it. If he gives a bad performance, that'll be another story, but I really don't mind him being there for the time being.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, [url="http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/pattinson-gets-to-the-heart-of-stephenie-meyer-and-her-twilight-series"]Robbie has been actively trying to sabotage the entire series from the inside since day 1[/url].[/font]

[quote name='Sangome' date='28 July 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1280345917' post='698124']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][color="#9932CC"]"THIS MAN HAS ACTED IN A HIGH-GROSSING, FANGIRL-SQUEE-INDUCING MOVIE THAT I DISLIKE! THAT MEANS HE'S NEVER ALLOWED TO ACT IN ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN!!!!!" [/color][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'm glad you understand 'Gome, like the horrible neurologically-degenerative social virus that it is, anything related to Twilight must be first carefully contained and then utterly destroyed with fire, lots and lots of fire.
[/size][/font]

[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I have nothing against Pattinson, only against Twilight. Actually, I hate Jay Baruchel with a fiery passion because he always plays a pansy and his characters infuriate me with how weak they are. Same goes for Michael Cera ([i]Juno[/i], [i]Superbad[/i]) and Jesse Eisenberg (given I've only seen him in [i]Zombieland[/i], but he might as well be a Michael Cera clone).

The fact that Pattinson hates Twilight probably just as much of the rest of us lessens any animosity I have even more. The only movies with him I'll be against (besides Twilight) are the ones I feel are using him to boost sales they really wouldn't get otherwise (I'm looking at you [i]Remember Me[/i]).

HTTYD would have been be a lot better without Baruchel. I can't even stand listening to the guy's voice.[/font][/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='28 July 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1280357362' post='698153']
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]HTTYD would have been be a lot better without Baruchel. I can't even stand listening to the guy's voice.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
I love his voice. It's something diffrent. I haven't seen any of his other movies though.

Well now that I know Pattinson hates Twilight, I guess I don't feel as bad about it. That's really interesting how he is "trying to sabatoge the whole thing". Money's a great motivator, and he saw something that was going to be big and took it. I get that.
Listening to all the other arguements, I can see how this wouldn't really affect the movie very much, in spirit and theory and all that other good stuff.
Personally, I don't have anything against Pattinson, but I do believe that there is little acting talent in the Twilight films. Voice acting, of course, is very different. Maybe this will be where he can show his real talent?

I don't like how Pattinson looks (dude, scary), but he's a decent actor. I also don't like the part he plays in a series I greatly dislike. I'm not going to shun him for it. It's not as if every movie he acts in is going to be a remake or rip-off of the Twilight series, so why should it matter if he (or rather, his voice) shows up in a movie that is nothing like the Twilight saga? :)

While I hate the Twilight series with the burning passion of a thousand suns I have to respect Pattinson for biting the hand that feeds him.  Like Sangome said; he's in it for the money and not because he enjoys playing a creepy, stalkerish vampire.  

You can't blame him for wanting to branch out in another direction career-wise.  If you were him wouldn't you want to put some distance between yourself and the craptastic phenomenon that is Twilight before you becoming typecast?  

I'm sure that 20 years down the road he'd rather be remembered as the voice of whatever character he'll portraying in How To Train Your Dragon than as Edward the vampire.

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='01 August 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1280706954' post='698499']I'm sure that 20 years down the road he'd rather be remembered as the voice of whatever character he'll portraying in How To Train Your Dragon than as Edward the vampire.
[/quote]
Of course, playing Edward is EXACTLY what he'll be remembered for. So shouldn't we just have pity on him and let him take on this role in a futile attempt to branch out?