OtakuBoards

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Ellerby

[center][img]http://fusedfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/scott-pilgrim-cera-wright.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.azreporter.com/news/media/admin/20100805-scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world.jpg[/img]

For those of you who don't know, Scott Pilgrim vs the World is a movie based on a comic of the same name.

[quote=Plot Summary]Everything is totally sweet.

Scott Pilgrim's life is so awesome. He's 23 years old, in a rock band, "between jobs," and dating a cute high school girl. Everything's fantastic until a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, roller blading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. But the path to Ms. Flowers isn't covered in rose petals. Ramona's seven evil exes stand between Scott and true happiness. Can Scott defeat all seven of the bad guys and get the girl without turning his precious little life upside-down, before the game is over?[/quote][/center]

[color="#696969"]I can't stress enough how awesome the comics are, but if you think you don't have the time or effort to read them, then go see this movie. I'm seeing it tonight and I don't doubt it will be amazing (judging from the trailer they seem to have captured the essence of the story). My only worry is wether or not Michael Cera can truly play the part of the epicness that is Scott Pilgrim but he makes me laugh pretty easily so he's got half of it down pat. I'm confident any video game, anime or comedy fan will absolutely adore this story so I urge you all to go see it!

Of course I'll post here once I've actually seen the movie but I knew I'd be making the thread when I got home anyway so I'm saving myself some trouble. ;) Anyway, here is the first theatrical trailer for you to watch. Enjoy![/color]

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUBVcit5VM[/media][/center] Edited by White

[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]I don't know anything about the comics, but doubt that Cera can do anything awesome. The general plot of the movie seems kind of iffy to begin with, and Michael Cera just exacerbates that problem for me, lol.

Regardless, I'll probably end up watching it out of boredom ... only problem is I lack the booze to allow me to tolerate Cera ... >_>[/font][/color]

[font="Tahoma"][quote name='PiroMunkie' date='13 August 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1281753568' post='699376']
[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]I don't know anything about the comics, but doubt that Cera can do anything awesome. The general plot of the movie seems kind of iffy to begin with, and Michael Cera just exacerbates that problem for me, lol.

Regardless, I'll probably end up watching it out of boredom ... only problem is I lack the booze to allow me to tolerate Cera ... >_>[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"]Well, it was awesome. XD

He definitely went out of his normal Cera-ness and managed to pull off Scott very well. I urge you to read the comics before watching the movie as they aren't that long but the movie definitely lived up to what I expected. Then again I am a little biased because it's super Canadian. ^_^; I actually played a show at one of the places where they visit in Toronto. :)

A MUST SEE FOR ANY VIDEO GAME FAN[i]!!![/i][/font][/color]

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Honestly, words cannot describe how excited I am about this movie. I can only curse the fact I have to wait an extra two weeks for it to come out over here in England. I am a big fan of the comics, and also a massive Edgar Wright fan, so I'm fairly sure this movie can't put a foot wrong. I will post again here once I've seen it, and no doubt that will absolutely nail my nerdy colours to the mast.

As if this hasn't already done that.[/font][/size]

My plans are to go see it tonight if not tomorrow. Im excited to see this movie....it definitely makes me want to actually go to the movies much like Inception does. Hopefully though Scott Pilgrim will replace all that dumb Twilight fever everyone seems to have.

I'm planning to see it tomorrow afternoon and wait until next weekend to watch [b]The Expendables[/b].  It was a pretty tough call but Scott Pilgrim just looks more like something I'd enjoy even though I don't know anything about the cast.  Expendables has an all-star cast of action movie veterans but I've got this sinking feeling that it's going to bomb somehow.  

While we're on the subject of Scott Pilgrim, has anyone read the comics?  I've been seeing them around a lot more lately with the movie being out and I'm considering a purchase.  Can someone give me the gist of them?

[font="Book Antiqua"]White is 1,000% completely right. The movie was high energy, over the top, and every bit absolutely blew me away. I'm personally not a Michael Cera fan, but he definitely stunned me with his aptitude to balance being bad*** with his normal meek guy performance. The music was phenomenal, the filming and animation was superb, and for me it was an excellent display of making a "comic book" movie that could appeal to any one (but definitely appeals to gamers and comic book readers, haha). I loved it, and I'm going to read the comics as soon as possible.

Everyone should go see it, at LEAST once.[/font]

I just got home from seeing the movie and I'm still geeking out about it.  It was awesome with plenty of action and comedy with amazingly choreographed fight scenes and awesome special effects.  I'll probably wind up buying the comics after this.  Still a little irritated that the game is only available on the PS Network though.

Oh, did anyone else catch all the old school game references?  Clash at Demonhead and Crash & the Boys were names I haven't heard in ages.  

[font="Arial"][size="2"]I saw this with my friends, and I was expecting great things. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]I was not disappointed. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]....I may have had a nerd-gasm. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Basically, from the very beginning you're like, "This is really cool!" Then just when you think that it can't get cooler, it [i]does[/i], and that keeps happening until your brain explodes from pure, unadulterated geeky pleasure. Then you realise that the movie is only half-finished and it happens all over again. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Me = satisfied! [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Tentacle, I totally DIDN'T catch the old school references until you mentioned it! The second time I saw it, I realised each time Scott fights an ex, all around them they've got the number of the ex. For example, when he's fighting [spoiler]Lucas Lee[/spoiler], the opponent's belt buckle has two X's on it. It's fun trying to spot the different bits and pieces. [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]God, I want to go see this movie a third time. I'm just not getting over it! Have already grabbed the soundtrack, too. Me = obsessed! [/size][/font]
[font="Arial"] [/font]
[font="Arial"][size=2]- Lady "[i]Bread makes you fat?!?[/i]" Asphyxia[/size][/font] Edited by Lady Asphyxia

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I just saw this tonight, finally. It was pretty good, although the last quarter started to bore me a little bit. It wasn't an enormously long movie or anything, but it started to feel a bit long in the tooth by the end.

Still, I'd say most of the movie was absolutely fantastic. Michael Cera was himself, as usual, but it seems to me that he [i]is[/i] Scott Pilgrim.

All of the other actors were brilliant, including Scott's band members and the exes themselves.

I also loved that the opening scene of the film, where the camera pans down over Scott's house and we hear part of the music from the opening title sequence of A Link to the Past. ;)[/font]

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='30 August 2010 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1283103074' post='699988']
And I just tossed down somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for the complete set of graphic novels.  Somehow I feel more complete now that they've been added to my collection.
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I wouldn't mind looking at the comics. Do they sell the entire set in hardcover form, like they do with Watchmen? I'd prefer that to buying individual issues if it were possible.

I'm assuming the comics are better than the movie and since I liked the movie, I'd be pretty keen to check out the comics as well.

I did the same thing with Watchmen - actually, I bought the hardcover set before I saw the film and it pretty much resurrected the interest in comics that I'd lost years ago. I'm hoping Pilgrim will do the same![/font]

[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]I managed to see this the other day, and yeah, nothing new with Michael Cera there. However, the dialogue in the movie was fast-paced enough that you usually didn't have time to want to punch him in the face. That, and even his friends were arguably cruel to him more often than not.

Having not read the comics (and probably won't), I don't know if I could agree with James saying he [i]is[/i] Scott Pilgrim ... I don't get that impression even from the illustrations I've seen of him. Scott Pilgrim seems to have a lot of charisma, Michael Cera doesn't. >_>

The movie was pretty good, though. I enjoyed it for what it was. And yeah I definitely noticed the old school Zelda music in the movie, lol.[/font][/color]

There are a total of six graphic novels in the series but I'm pretty sure you can find an online version somewhere. I'm a collector so I usually go the purchasing route even when free versions are available on the Internet.  As far as a hardcover edition I don't know of any.

I haven't started reading the series yet but from what I can tell it follows the events of the movie.  I can't say how much content is original but if you only found the movie to be "okay" then buying a dvd might suffice.  More serious fans will want both the movie and comics though.  I guess it's all a matter of what you want to spend.

Welp I just went to go see it last Wednesday.

Now I am not a fan of the comics (Never knew they really existed) I don't know how the movie was different from the comics.

What I do know is that I went in there expecting something decent from what I heard of others and I was very much so NOT disappointed.

Looking at this movie I can see how The Last Airbender could have succeeded and done so much better but that is beside the point.

The movie was as the title claims it to be, An epic of epic Epicness.

As a Canadian I saw a few things in the film that made me chuckle a lot. One of which is the coins. They were our currency in change.

I know the movie was based in our country I just expected you know, arcade coins or something. But no, they use OUR money. Best part is that they used a lot of it, my Best friend's gf even said if she was in the movie she would be the first one trying to collect it all.

But ya. I loved Scott Pilgrim vs The world. It is an awesome movie, and those who love to play games or read comics should definitely go see this movie wherever you can. They deserve a better box office then the one they have currently. Edited by Burori

first off i would like to say that the movie was fantastic and i loved every minute of it.
now that i am done agreeing with you guys id like to point out how [i]Juno the Game[/i] was another example of Michael Cera playing the same exact role for the thousandth time (except this time when he wasnt talking like the same awkward teenager he was either kicking ass or rocking out... so i think he still did a good job) but he is so friggin good at it i can still enjoy it (a lot), and i did.
follow what everyone in this thread is sayingg and see it if you havent yet...

also if you have an xbox360 buy the arcade game. that thing so much fun i could post a topic about it!
(maybe later)