OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Dragon Warrior

[center][img]http://i53.tinypic.com/33465fo.jpg[/img][/center]

I guess as OtakuBoard's official pirate it's my duty to post this up. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything made for it yet. [i]On Stranger Tides[/i] is the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean series. It took the creators a long while to figure out what plot to go with after coming up with several, and it took them even longer to decide that stuff involving outer space or sky pirates might be pushing it. Now I love sky pirates like the rest of us, but at least all the rest of the story elements have been believable thus far.

[center][img]http://i55.tinypic.com/2vlkt5l.jpg[/img][/center]

Having said that, the plot of the new one follows Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa once again as they hunt for the Fountain of Youth (as a team or not, I'm unsure). Either way, the main villain of this trilogy (yes, there will be three) is Blackbeard played by Ian McShane and his daughter Angelica played by the very foxy Penelope Cruz. They're all in search of this life-giving myth, so naturally you'll find plenty of betrayal and criss-crossing of sides and all that that we've come to expect of the Pirates movies. Oh, and there are zombies and mermaids. Fortunately we're not talking about Dawn of the Dead zombies. They look more like natives that haven't bathed in a while, so I like what they did.

[center][img]http://i52.tinypic.com/2r55mht.jpg[/img][/center]

Also, to clear up confusion on something I've been asked about a million times, Will and Elizabeth are not coming back for this trilogy. This is the Jack and Angelica love story. I could explain why in detail but it'd spoil some of the series for people. Then again, they shouldn't be reading this thread if they haven't seen the first three anyway. If you haven't watched the trailer, here it is for you. I watched it literally the second it premiered on Yahoo. I'm such a lamewad.

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_9A-cUEJc[/media][/center] Edited by Dragon Warrior

Err... It's not something that really leaps out at me. I'm usually skeptical when movies exceed past 2, let alone 3 (But I liked At World's End) because they tend to bomb very badly (Spider-Man and X-Men) but considering that this is Johnny Depp and I just so happen to like him as Jack Sparrow I'll give this a shot.

I'm actually very glad that Will and Elizabeth (sp?) won't be in this because I didn't really care for them anyway.

Blackbeard.... Ok, I'm just going to assume Oda (One Piece guy) and Jerry are keeping tabs on each other since Oda just introduced the [spoiler]Flying Dutchman, the Kraken and Davy Jones' name has been mentioned[/spoiler] while here we have Blackbeard, mermaids and zombies.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not all that amped about this but I will give it a shot.

Yeah, Will and Elizabeth's story became dry by the second one and I certainly didn't watch for them after [i]Curse[/i]. I, too, am glad they won't return, but I guess Will technically could [spoiler]but only for a small time because he's busy with other stuff. Elizabeth can't 'cause she's on some island waiting around for ten years.[/spoiler]

I saw the trailer last weekend at the opening of TRON.  I'm pretty stoked about this one actually.  Not only am I a huge fan of the pirate genre but of Blackbeard in particular.  As a North Carolinean Edward Teach is somewhat of a local hero around these parts so of course I'm interested in seeing him portrayed in a modern day theatrical production.  

• 3 weeks later...
How did I not see this!

So... I was probably one of the few people that actually really liked the second and (especially) the third movie.
I do agree that the Will/Elizabeth story ran its course, but I didn't feel any hate for em.

As far as the new theme... It doesn't sound fantastic, but The cast is still pretty strong (depending how the new big namers preformed, maybe even better than the last one) And if it has non-stop pirate fighting action like the last one... I will be appeased.

"Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again."
I loled.

Well, it's not like I have hatred towards Will and Elizabeth either. I just felt they were getting dry by the end. They did what they could for their story and considering the creators didn't plan to make more than one Pirates movie, I think they did well with extending the love story as much as they did. Heck, they took several items like the broken compass and made them into actual plot points whereas if the series ended with Black Pearl, they would've remained unimportant features. I still think that's pretty cool. They have so much detail to each film that there's plenty they can work with. In the third one, you see when Jack has no shirt on that his torso is completely covered in bizarre tattoos; that alone opens up a whole book of side stories and possible plot elements. Obviously I'm with you, CaNz. I want this new movie and more.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Y'know, I'm pretty excited for this, myself. I couldn't stand Will and kinda harbored hatred for Elizabeth for a long time [though I eventually got over that], so them being gone is no skin off my nose. And CaNz, I liked the second and third movies plenty as well, although that may be because I wound up seeing the second one first.

I also seemed to notice from the trailer and images that Jack's hair is slightly lighter. Aging, perhaps? It would be a subtle nod to the whole fountain of youth deal, I think.

But either way, seeing Johnny Depp gallivanting around as Captain Jack Sparrow is enough for me. Yesyes. /shallow[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[size=1][color=royalblue]Ah yes, eyeliner and bobs!

I don't even remember how I got roped into seeing the first PotC movie. I do remember it was at a second-run theater, and geezum I was in sixth grade. But then I got hooked to the series and had to see them all out after that, so no use in arguing.

I don't have much of a desire to see this one, but knowing my friends, I'll be taken along and will probably get into it and have to watch the rest of the triology. Y'know, not all movies that go beyond 2 or 3 are destined to be bad. I mean, Star Wars didn't help, but there've been a lot of James Bond movies, so hey, who's to say?

The female pirate thing could be really badass, but I swear if she turns into one of those "I'm awesome LOOK I HAVE BREASTS", I'm going to get frustrated.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1294947875' post='703866']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]But either way, seeing Johnny Depp gallivanting around as Captain Jack Sparrow is enough for me. Yesyes. /shallow[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Mmmm, trufax.[/color][/size]